York Hotel

eli

hello,

York hotel's package is pretty attractive, I think it is around 500+ for weekends. However, when I attended my friend's wedding there, I found the ballroom rather old, and they were rather shorthanded in serving staff. They took away some utensils from our table. They forgot or did not replace it. So one of the guest reminded the waiter to replace it. After waiting for sometime, we reminded the waiter again to replace the utensils. He still didn't. One of the guest on our table got fed up, and scartistically ask for napkins, so that we can eat. Guess what. The waiter gave us a box of napkins minus the utensils. It was very very much later the utensils materialise. Later, we gave up asking anything from them. The food is not very fantastic either.

After that experience, I dont really recommend anyone to go there, unless their service improve. But one good point though, the ballroom is rectangle. So your guests can see you from all angles.

However, this was my experience last year. But they may have improved.

M

monica eng

Hey I just met a client at York hotel the other day. Went to look at the ball room too. I think they had a new set of decorations and the place looks pretty good. It's very private as the whole level is the ballroom. It's also pretty spacious. So the minute you come out from the lift you're actually in the ballroom already. As for hotel staff I think can't be help. Sometimes they employ school part timers as waiter/waitress. I did a holiday job at Hilton Hotel few years back when I was still in school. I was really bad. The whole fish head flew out of the plate while I was cutting the fish. And while serving the Yam basket, the whole dish slip out of the plate and landed on the table. I even spilled sharksfin on a lady's dress. See. even hotels like Hilton get inexperience students like me. Anyway, how's the food York? That's one thing I haven't tried but I heard from some friends that it's not bad.

All the best to your preps Uma.

Monica Eng

uma

hi all,

thanks for all the comments
i guess i'm rather undecisive...
i've told hyatt i'm going to pay the deposit but still not very confident about my choice

then i see the package of york.
well...it is cheaper but i'm not so sure about the quality
maybe i should still stick to hyatt?
what do you ladies think?
if you were me, which one you'll go for??

monica...can you please give me a call at my office: 2264246 when you have time? i would like to discuss with you the actual day photo...thanks!

jas

Hi Uma,
Try another location at Holiday Inn Park View. Coincidently, 3 of my close friends got married at this hotel and I had no choice but to attend their weddings. From experience, all 3 occassions I attended was well received till the extend that one of the Manager on duty recognised me. Felt very shy. Hee Hee Hee. Food was good and service OK. I like the ballroom.
One of my friend still go back to the Hotel for his daughter's 1st month child.
If you do spk to them, call the Operation Mgr, Khalid.

F

flex

Hey... in case you did not pay much attention to other threads...err..... Uma has already married and she held her banquet at Grand Hyatt.

For you information, just in case...

tigerlily

York hotel was one of the hotels I went to see cos of their price. But didn't take the hotel because the ballroom was really really old, the cards were pretty out of date as well. and I figured i'd rather take another hotel. The F&B exec who served me was quite nice, though.

C

choice

Hi,

My brother held his wedding there about 3 years ago. Though ballroom is pillar-free but the overall deco and food is so-so. That's pretty alrite, but the location is a bit "out". Unless your guests drive, it would pose inconvenience.

Price is attractive as compared to other hotels in orchard area.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Minnie Lim,

Actually for York Hotel, the guests can drive/walk through the car park at Goodwood Park Hotel. It is acutally within walking distance. You can try taking a stroll during your next visit and see if it is ok.
happy.gif

You may also like to know that SingaporeBrides.com card holders enjoy an additional night accomodation when you sign-up. More details can be found here.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

S

s

Hi ROM,

Yes...I attended a wedding dinner @ york hotel in Dec02. However, find the food so-so only and the ballroom kinda old looking leh :p

Also, a point to note, if ur guest don't drive, its kinda inconvenient for them. Got to walk a long way up "(

Just my tots

rom

S, thanks for your feedback!

Actually, I have not see the ballroom yet. I am planning for my wedding next year and York Hotel is one under my list due to low budget! So need as much feedback as I can before I commit.

S

s

U R welcome
happy.gif

You can call u the banquet manager to have a tour of the area (ballroom) before committing urself to the venue.

Happy sourcing

girlfriend

Hi ladies..

I had a bad experience with York Hotel banquet sales manager.

She called me every other day after I had viewed the place.

D

dinooo

Hi,
I have the same feeling as girlfriend. The BM call me up every now and then to confirm the hotel after viewing the place. It's like very irrating.

Just my comments.

oreo

Hi!
I considered york hotel before too. But I find the sales person absolutely unethical.
It started last year when I first called her to view the ballroom. She knew I was with this co and kept selling me their hotel for corporate functions. Asking me qn like who decides where to have corporate functions, can i decide, do i have their contacts etc..and forgot that my initial plan was to view their ballroom. she told me that she will call me to make an appt and that i don't need to make an appt at that time.
but she didn't call me. months later, she called again and say she is nearby my off and ask where is the main entrance etc. stop. (what's abt my wedding?)..
one fine day this year, she called again and ask if I have confirmed my dinner? My god, she still dare to ask me after 1 year??
I just find that her focus is absolutely wrong. I'm glad I didn't take it up. (just my view)

sakurasan

I have been to York hotel for a company D&D before. The food was absolutely atrocious. And the ballroom looks bad.

presario

Hi,

Anyone held their wedding /attended a wedding at York Hotel recently? Any comments?

The renovated Top of the York looks good. Exclusive place.

Cheers!

clara

Hi,

I went to view the York hotel yesterday. The package is good and I had my company dinner there last year. The food is good comparable to other hotels. I am taking their peach blossom package which is $638nett on weekends.

monet77

Hi tootsieroll,
have u been to teh place to tour around? the ballroom is newly furnish and reno but There are pillars at both side of the room....actually u should make appointment to view the place. All the wedding banquet are very friendly and helpful. my banquet manager is alan or u can look for tracy too. They are all very patience
got to go...
chat again

nice to know u...

tootsieroll

Monet,
No, I can't tour personally because I'm planning from overseas. But my family is going to meet with Tracy next week, so hopefully they will like it.

Have you had your wedding dinner yet? Which package was it, and how was the food?

monet77

Hi tootsieroll,

I took the peach blossom package...which has more benefits......can check it out
I just gone for food tasting yesterday and the portions are large....i only try the 6 courses and already very filling... for overall the foods is quite all right... but tarco bell nest is yummy....very nice.....
happy.gif

tootsieroll

Monet,
Yum yum yum. I have a feeling I will settle for the Top of the York in the end, because cannot be bothered to think anymore. Did you tour that place? Thinking either Peach blossom or evergold package. What offers did your Andy/Tracy give you? Any free alcohol or whatever?

monet77

Hi tootsieroll,
I have free flow of beers and free cover seat for all tables....plus 6 courses dinner food tasting and upgrading honeymoon suite to deluxe suite...
happy.gif

tootsieroll

Wah seh, not bad. How many tables you have? Dunno if they will give me the same or not, especially since I'm not having so many tables. Actually the only freebies I want is the free flow of beer and food tasting. The others I don't really care.

tootsieroll

Wah seh, not bad. How many tables you have? Dunno if they will give me the same or not, especially since I'm not having so many tables. Actually the only freebies I want is the free flow of beer and food tasting. The others I don't really care.

littlebobeep

hi monet_tai

When did U sign up Ur package?

U've got very good perks, man.

If U dont mind, I'll go earlier on Ur wedding day to c the set up. Can?

Btw, did U time how long the wedding march would approx take?

monet77

HI littlebobeep,
feel free to drop in....it will be good mayb to drop by ard 5+ or 6pm...u should be able to see something lor...heeeheee i will be having 34 tables...lor...might add more

Actually i sign the package this year, april... have a very good duel...heehee

monet77

Hi littlebobeep

u welcome...

hi tootsieroll

so when is ur parents gg down to view the place? how is it?

verre

Hi monet,

i'm fine. how abt you? how's ur food tasting? is it good? ur wedding coming soon hor?
happy.gif
are you nervous?

tootsieroll

Hey monet,
sorry it took so long to get back. My family went down last week to see York. Actually disappointed, but I think partly because the conditions weren't right. They didn't switch the aircon on in Top of the York, so my mom almost die from heat exhaustion, although Rosemarie room was better. She said Tracy was very nice though!

monet77

Hi tootsieroll,

so are you still gg to settle with york hotel? exactly how many tables to u intend to have?
The hotel are quite old but have the charater and it is the family link business...it is the sister of goodwoodpark....

but i though the top of york should be very nice as i saw from photos....tat was taken during the day...anyway, i went for my food tasting at 20th level, the interior pretty plain but the oldies feel is there..heeheeee

so if not gg to think about york, where do u have in mind?

sleeping_beauty

Hi everyone,

I've read & understand all situations. I still cant decide on which htl to go for. Can anyone give me suggestions on the below 3 hotels on their pros & cons.

1) York Htl - Peach Blossom Package @ S$638nett
What i request for most of them Christine(banquet co-ordinator) agree via phone. Future hubby likes it alot coz the cost is low & is a 4star htl, at least quite presentable.

2) Carlton Htl - S$668nett
What i request for is given but only beer is not free flow & he's not giving me. The ballroom is small & the walk way is short - I don't like. Future hubby don't really likes it coz there's no free flow of beer & the floyer is small.

3) Concord Htl - Wedding Show @ S$688nett
I love this htl. They provides me with everything i requested for but there are 2 ugly pillars..... there r also FOC 1 table for us BUT future hubby don't really like it because of the cost, pillars, & the co-ordinator room given is a half day afternoon (cant change to nite with late check out for those drankers). BUT both of us agree that their food & svcs is very up to standard.

Hai..... Don't know which to choose. HELP ME PLS......

tootsieroll

hi Monet,
My mom is going to see marina mandarin on saturday night....they said will give me Orion room, but the thing is must climb STAIRS to this room. I am only having about 10-15 tables maximum, maybe end of the day only about 12 tables really, so Top of York is suitable. It's a choice between York and MM. I bo chap already, see which one my mom likes.

sleeping_beauty

Hi monet,

This is the problem with me..... I like to take up york but the ballroom seem so old & have not tried the food there... Have seen the all the messages above & give me an idea that their food there are not nice.... How? Should i go for food and svcs or cost?

monet77

Hi winnie,

When we go for selection of hotel, we cant expect much when comes to food quantity and quality...People choose hotwl from the look and services and of course depending on the pricing as well.... You have to ask urself on the budgeting liao lor...

I share my experence wit hyou...I choose mainly because of the costing... it is abit of budget but if comparing to hotels in orchard, i would say it is very resonable...and has good location lor......I like carlton hall as i been there before attending dinner....cant forget the deluxe room heeheee

york hotel may look old but has good service... i find that the food is ok.... of course depending on individual taste bud lor...... :p

just discuss with ur partner again....see wat u relly 1 for the wedding...

if u have any questions / doubts, feel feel to ask again...

happy.gif

sleeping_beauty

Hi monet,

Went to c your post at york htl 2003/2004. Good to hear that your BIG day is comming.... Let me wish you all the best on your AD and the other half of your life with your hubby... ALL THE BEST!!!

Sorry need to ask u stupid somethings... I notice that your coordinator is alan... Is he good? I will be meeting york's coordinator, Christine on the 30sept (hahaha on your eve of your BIG day!) Wld like to know is alan a easy going person? I met up with carlton coordinator, though he is friendly but everything i requested for is NO. I requested to upgrade my room and extend my stay. He told is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!

Shld i change the york coordinator to alan or remain? Do york have LCD projected?

I most likely will take up york becoz of my FH's budget.

Is the ballroom really look old?