Window Grilles

dap

My new flat will have full length windows for living and masterbed room. I am wondering how should I put the window grilles: at the middle where you have the sliding window panes or from top to bottom of the whole full length window. I felt it will be such as waste to put the grilles from top to bottom since we are lucky to get full length window. Besides we will feel like we are in a jail. need advice please. thanks

catz

hi dap,
My apartment's got full-length windows in living & dining rooms but we didn't bother with grilles 'cos they make the place look like a jail! I suppose if you're installing them as a safety precaution, then maybe just do the top-half?? Dunno, my parents complained like mad 'cos we didn't install grilles but we really didn't like the 'prison' look.. it would just ruin the whole look of full-length windows. Just my humble opinion. We intend to train our kids (way off into the future) not to anyhow climb... maybe next time then only install.

angeline

hi catz,

i STRONGLY agreed with you!!! My parents keep wanting me to install them, i really dont understand WHY! *SIGH* Worse still, now my hubby oso want to install, how??? I told them i will be staying in a JAIL instead of a flat! How to convince them not to install those stupid grilles?

Dap,

ya lor, we are so lucky to have full length window, so nice hor
happy.gif

catz

hi angeline,
i suppose parents are scared that their future grandkids fall outta the sky! lucky my husband agreed that it makes the place look like a jail. so no grilles!
happy.gif
i like full-length windows 'cos it makes the place look so spacious and open... grilles just totally spoil the look :p
which storey are you living on? actually don't need to install if you train your kiddies not to anyhow play right? and don't let anybody carry the kid near the window. :p

angeline

hi Catz,

im living on the 9th floor, not bery high, rite?
Aiya, from young if we give proper training to the kids, im sure they will behave themselves, we dun have to be like " siao cha bo " run here & there, shout here & there at them lor.
Must continue to saiko them to allow me not to install those "UGLY" grilles!

weiwei

Hi ladies,

My place right now doesn't have grilles in the bedrooms, but it's only a temporary situation during our honeymoon "er4 ren2 shi4 jie4" period. Once we are ready for a kid and baby's on the way, up the grilles will go, coz' it's really better to be safe than sorry...we can always try to train our kids not to do this, not to do that...but remember what we used to do when we were kids ourselves? Mum says not to play with fire, first thing when she turns her back, we sneak matchsticks into the bedroom. Kids will be kids you know? Between beautiful grilleless full-length windows and my kid, I'd choose the kid. =)

dap

Hi Catz, angeline and weiwei

thanks for the advice. Actually I thought of installing at a later stage when we are ready for kids. But another fear factor is that what if someone climb in especially when I'm alone in the house? I intend to put grilles at the kitchen and aircon windows only now. But whenever i thought if i'm alone in the house (when hubby travel, I will be scared.

My mum also nagged at me saying it will be messy if i want to put up grilles later. She asked why not do it all at one shot.

real headache...

D

d.l.

Hi Catz,

I have the same thought as you when I had my flat. I also dun wish to install window grills as I am just staying on the 9th floor. But I was not able to convince my mother-in-law about it and having discuss wif my contractor, he recommended me a new design window grills which have only horizontal bars on each panel, resulting around 4 big rectangles shape created on each panel. I fine it quite alrite as compared to the rest in the market...
Hope that this can help you !

dap

Hi D.L

I'm going for the same grilles which you mentioned but I dun think I want to install now. I went pass some neighbouring blocks and most people put from top to middle (imagine the windows panes are divided to 3 parts). not very nice from outside. But the grilles you mentioned looks good and it's easy to clean!!

lonewolf

HI all

I would concur that if I had full length window, I would probably not installed any windows grilled.

But I had a more difficult problem for my flats. Unlike most living room with 'fixed' bottom half which cannot be opened, my bottom window can be opened and so HDB installed some vertical window grill for the bottom half. Imagine the problem we had finding a design to match the both vertical bars without making the place looks like a darn jail.

We decided to go for the more expensive wrought iron grills which allows us flexibility in the design. I even contemplated 'combining' 2 elements from the designs my contractors showed me to go for something unique. In the end, we choose a 'fish-theme' design that 'breaks' the vertical bottom portion of the grill that HDB installed. It worked wonders and I found the nearly $2K I spent on the grills money well spent.

A

ah pau

Dap,

Since your hubby has to travel quite frequently...
i would suggest you to install grilles for your house...you know lah...for your own safety...
and our area is so quiet especially during late night...that's why i choose to have grilles for my house bcos i have to work late almost everyday and meimei have to be alone most of the time.

So it's safer to have grilles....maybe you shld consider to install wrought iron bcos it comes with various type of design and you can also choose the type of colour you like.
talker.gif

dap

Hi Ah Pau

really a headache leh. Think better to get key than decide so that can visualise better. I'm quite scared to be alone in the house also. Maybe next time I can go your house when my FH not around. heee......meimei and you will think I'm your big lightbulb..
happy.gif

Hi Lonewolf
Wrought iron grilles are money well-spent. It is of very good material. thank goodness it helps to break away from looking like jail. good choice!

truth

My friend's favourite dog leapt out of his 12 storey FULL LENGTH windows and died.

I rest my case.

A

ah pau

Hi Dap,

Come to my house...no prob...meimei will be very happy too....bcos i will be working late for most of the time...and she will also feel scared if she's alone in the house..so you and meimei can go shopping at Sun Plaza, Causeway Point and maybe Vista Point liao...hahaha...Not Bad...at least got some Kaki around our area.

As for the grilles...dun worry too much lah...discuss with your FH and gather some info from friends around you. Maybe when you have collected your key from Hdb..we will all gather and go to yr house to take a look..then everyone will starts to give you lots of suggestion. OnZ..
haha..
lol.gif

I

ice age

Hi DL,

I was researching hi & low but can't find anything like u mentioned above. Do you know what design your contractor installed for you? and where can we get them from ?

Thanks....

ice age

jes

Anyone tried those window grilles contractors from the newspapers ads? How come they can do a 5-room flat at about $1500 as compared to more than double for what my contractor quoted me? Is it better and cheaper to go direct to such window grille companies?

jes

Hi Sweetiee, mine is the normal half length windows. My contractor quoted me about $3500 for the whole house windows & grilles. I'm wondering how come others can do whole house for just $1500? Is $1500 the usual rate for both windows & grilles?

sweetiee

Hi Jes,

Mine is a 4-room and so far the lowest quote I get is around $600 for grilles for the whole house. I think some contractors do mark up a lot. Why dun you check with more contractors on the price? It could be cheaper to go direct to window grilles company as most contractors outsource them anyway. Hope this helps.
happy.gif

sue

Hi Jes, I think that the rate is reasonable. I think that $1500 is for grilles only, not windows. I paid $1500 for changing the windows in the three bedrooms, and $900 for wrought iron grilles for the utility room and dining room, and front door.

sweetiee

hi jes,

Oh sorry... I din read your messages probably, yup if it is $1,500, then like what sue said, it's for grilles only... Thanks Sue for clarifying.
happy.gif

D

d.l

Ice Age,

I thought the design I mention is quite common nowadays because when I take a glance at some new neighbourhoods, I can actually see quite a handful of them installing this kind of grills.
I think to probably furthur explain my design, I do a stretch of 2 different design below for 1 of the window panel...
|---------| |----|----|
|---------| |----|----|
|---------| |----|----|
|---------| |----|----|
|---------| |----|----|

meg

The grilles that D.L. mentioned is not something new indeed. I had them installed in my house 3 years ago.

ordos

1500 for window grilles not expensive meh?
u can get your windows and grilles done by adding a few hundred more.

rolly1

Hi,
My flat is in Sengkang with full length window.
I installed the grilles that D.L has indicated (the right hand side one) n it cost me less than 1500. Well, the cost will depends on the area of your window.

According to my contractor, wrought iron though it look nice n more stlyish but it can rusts lor.

Just to share

F

fluke

I've recently gotten my grilles installed (after booking in Sept). Am rather pleased with their service and quality. Can check them out if you would like a comparison....
http://www.gransel.com.sg

Good thing about them is they customise every piece...so you get to integrate some of their standard designs or even do something very unique.
Must see the actual grilles...the pix on the site dun do justice.

Anyway, if you are interested, can drop me a mail. I tell ya who to look for and ask for a better price
happy.gif

[email protected]

ordos

those who have install window grilles, aluminium type, can tell how much you are charged per sq foot?

piney

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing window grilles in my new flat in Sengkang as a safety precaution against 'spidermen', especially in the utility/kitchen and aircon ledge areas. However, I don't really like the whole look of grilles, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any shops that will agree to install grills in small areas only at reasonable prices? The ones I've asked say that they have a minimum charge. Otherwise, if anyone has any contact for reliable and cheap grilles, please let me know. I'm on a tight budget, and would like to know roughly how much I should expect to pay for grilles for a 5 room flat.

Thanks!

C

cc

Hi aimee

That is quite cheap. Could you give me the contractor? My contractor from Darwin code me S$2.7k for 4 room flat!!!

Many thanks.

babylove

Just a thought...why would u want to put grills in the bathroom?

I'm not intending to have grills all around. Just 2 windows in the living room which is at the corridor. I got the lowest quote $200. Meanwhile still sourcing for better deals

mark

Hi,

U need to check whether they're giving hollow aluminium grills or solid tubing type.

Hollow ones are cheaper

smallady

Hi Nac

Mine is sengkang exeutive. 4bedrooms, one study room. one dining area and living area.

aeii.... dunno call five rooms or six rooms ..

C

cc

Hi aimee

Thanks for the info. So i think that from the expo usually can get go bargain.
What colour is your iron? I like the white ones...

aeebee

Hi Everybody
happy.gif

I am hoping to get the best price for white powder-coated windows and window grille. Currently, my renovator is quoting $1074.40 for the grilles and $2168 for the windows. My place is a 4Rm HDB in Bishan.

Anybody out there can help? Thanks
happy.gif

A

advice

if u want good price, get from those pp who specially do grilles. They only charge $5 psf.
Renovator will definitely want to earn some commission as the middleman.

dutchess

Hi!

Anybody got any reliable contacts for window grilles at reasonable prices? Need to install for my 5-rm flat cos my son is starting to crawl all over the place. Anybody knows if I already have my blinds installed, can the window grilles be installed also? Thanks!

dutchess

hi CC2,

what sort of grilles did you do? aluminium? wrought iron? what about the design? how was their service? any difficulties or problems with them? how long did they take to install? sorry for so many questions...hope you can help. Thanks!

cc2

Hi dutchess,

Mine was aluminium. I opt for the simple design, horizontal lines. Service wise not bad, quite prompt. 1st sunday we went to confirmed, the 2nd sat, they came to measure and the 3rd sat, they came to install. The whole installation took abt 2hrs. They came very early for installtion too.
happy.gif

Hope it helps.

ttsh

Hi,

I got the aluminium window grilles, double hollow(there's several grade), the stronger one for my five rm flat @ $780. It's from Silver Century. HIs name is Mike. I can't remember his hp. IF u r interested, I can gif u tmr.