Where to buy roast pig (烧猪)?

ddwedd

Hello Ladies

Wondering if any of you can share where to buy roast pig not suckling pig....

Cheers
dd

jiamin_loh

Hi dd,

yes, the medium size roast pig is about S$388/-...
happy.gif
I am thinking of ordering there also...
happy.gif

auldreay

At Lorong Ah Soo (Hougang Ave 1) Market, the new market that has multi storey carpark on top and escalator, there is one stall called 'tiong bahru' and they sell suckling pig.

My FH enquired with them and they said that the S$388 pig is not meant for wedding, but meant for praying de. They say usually people only get such a big sized one for offering prayers. Unless the suckling pig your hubby giving is meant for prayers, they said no point getting so big one. They told us the best one for wedding is the S$188 one, which is a young pig, but big in size so it looks good and tastes good
happy.gif
So my FH will bring 2 of the S$188 one cos I'm a greedy pig, I wanna eat :D

Hi yafang, thanxs for the info quite near my mil house ..u got their tel no?my wedding is on june 2006.As for my dad request for suckling pig.

ddwedd

Hello Ladies

Thanks for all your info....I did not expect pig can be so expensive.

Hi Yafang
What is the difference between a suckling pig and golden pig?

Hi Jess
My wedding is in June too...(^_^)

pierced22

actually the roast pig is nicer if itz a bigger one, if itz a suckling pig, itz actually too young and will not taste as nice becoz it doesnt have the so called 'fragrance' yet.
if u follow according to the cantonese tradition of having a roast pig, u need to get a bigger one.

the lorong ah soo has a coffee shop nearby where they have roast pig as well around $388 i thk.
i got mine from an ang mo kio stall which has been doing roast meat for a long time. it cost $360 , coz itz according to price and size.

cheesey

juz showed my mom the above prices. Its ex for a small piggy ($88). Think some charge $50+..

Anyone has better lobang (nice and more affordable price)?

baby_jo

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the recommendation.
My in-law so kan-cheong alreadi place order with a shop @ Ubi. Only does delivery in East so they will deliver to my in-law place then we have to find way to bring to my mum's place.

winnedy

Hi,
Can someone advise when shd the suckling pig reach the brides house?

1) when the groom come and fetch the bride, he shd bring along with him? and after that the bride should return the head and tail back when they go back to the guy family?

2) when the bride has left for the guy family, a delivery man will bring the pig over? the delivery man will then cut and deliver the head and tail back to the guy house?

Im confused!!!

huggiez

Hi Winnedy mine was case 1. hubby got his bro to carry the pig. after gate crashing, his bro will carry it to the kitchen and my father cut the head and tail and return these parts to them. think my mom put in a red packet together with the pig too.

baby_jo

Hi Winnedy,

The suckling pig should be there in the morning when the groom fetch the bride.

After the gate crashing, the groom's bro will bring the suckling pig to the bride's house. The bride family will cut the suckling pig up and keep only the ctr portion and replace the ctr portion with a pant for the groom.
Together with the pant, head and tail of the suckling pig, it will be brought back to the groom's parents' house.

baby_jo

Hi Winnedy,

On your actual day, there will be some friends who will accompany your husband to fetch you right?
If yes, these are the people who will help your husband to carry the suckling pig.

sincerely_4ever

Hi hi,

Actually the pig should go to bride's place when the bride goes home as guest from the groom's place. But nowadays, people just bring the pig along to fetch the bride in to morning....

Rem to put oranges by the pig and also a small angbao under the pig's tummy... the angbao is for the person who chop the pig... and depends on your dialect also... if teochew, groom hv to give another ang bao to his mother in law as 'wash diapers money'. It's a token from groom to thank bride's mother for bringing up the bride washing diapers and taking care of her...

The pants will also have a angbao with it, wrapped in red paper and placed in the center of the pig between the head and butt of the pig forthe groom to bring back.... and again depends on the dialect again... if the groom is hokkien, bride's mother actually have to give the newly wed a bamboo to tie at their wedding car for them to bring back groom's place. If wana do away the bamboo, bride's mother can give a small angbao to groom as a replacment...

sincerely_4ever

i got the golden pig from Xing Wang Ji Roasted Meat Wholesale Pte Ltd. Tel: 64459313
Ah Bao: 96734288.

He's a very nice man, not like tiongbahru roasted pig so arrogant.

He is selling 1 golden pig @ $368.
I bought 2 from him and he charge me @680.

I called him to enquire about his pricing at first... after afew days he called to follow up...

I ask him if i can some samples to try coz my mum afraid not nice... so he say he will arrange for me and ask me to go to his factory and collect. When we are they, the guy is not around. But his staffs are helpful. They should us the size of the pig (raw) and give us some samples to try... So i asked for a better pricing and ordered 2 pigs.

After some days, Ah Bao called again to follow up asking if his staff give us the samples and help us when we are there.... I told him yes and i hv ordered from his factory....

On my AD, he send the pigs to my house downstairs personally... he reached at 8am n i told him that the groom will only reach at 8.30am. He is so kind to wait for the groom to arrive instead of just send the pigs up my house and rush off...

I find that his service is good even though it's just the roasted pig biz...

Maybe you girls can consider.... feedback that the pig taste good too.... the pig is from indonesia not australia... indonesia pig does not have a smelly pig smell... australia pig got a smell and dun taste as good....

Hope what i say is useful...

cua

HI Girls,

Sorry, but may i know what the meaning of sending suckling pig to bride's house on wedding day? Is it a must? Hm... if i remember correctly, the suckling pig is signaficant as the bride is still virgin, right? then how about those who are not?

fionaallen

pardon my ignore. Is Roast Pig a must-must? Will it be cut up and be distributed to relatives etc?

My gf married a ang moh and he got a pig soft toy in place of the actual edible roast pig for gatecrashing which i thought was very cool and funny! My gf's parents had no issues with that.

hapimint

When my sister got married... no roast pig... my parents didn't want it... find it a hassle and waste of time.. she didn't want to spend time cutting it up

cactus_79

roast pig signifies virginity. It is a must for cantonese brides, but thesedays more and more pple ask for it. It's like SDJ only for teochew but these days almost all brides have SDJ from in-laws.

Chocolic - I think the roast pig for customary is not the same as those eaten at restaurant. It is more oiler, much bigger/heavier, and cost more. I think from $388 onwards.

fionaallen

thxs cactus!
Will the roast pig be one of the offerings to the gods as part of the wedding rituals?

If i dont practice such offering rituals, can my family ask for the roast pig?

djinraine

try the roast meat store at Chong Pang Market (yishun). Medium sized pig only $288 and as good as Tiong Bahru Market one. Value for money and includes delivery too.

key_word07

Hi
anyone know if tiong bahru got sell roasted whole pig throtter?? my mum say roasted pig too much hassle..and ask for pig throtter instead..but seldom hear ppl got sell lei..
any brides have any idea?

key_word07

My mum wanted roasted pig throtters on the AD..she dun want the canned one.The canned one we will give her on the GDL. I ask 3 shops selling roasted prdts...they only sell roasted pig..but not roasted pig throtters. If anyone of you come across..pls let me know k? Appreciate that alot. TIA.
happy.gif

mei_lui

For Cantonese, it is only required at the day when the just married woman go back to visit her original family.

But it is not necessary. You can use some Ang Bao to represesnt this thing, according to my auntie.

ccc

we skipped sucklng pigs, parents felt too lay chey and heavy with whole thing and at end of day dunno how to process it..cook, make soup, so troublesome.
happy.gif

baby_jo

In fact suckling pig shld only be given to the bride's family on the 3rd day when the bride 1st went home to pay visit.
The suckling pig symbolise that the bride is a virgin.
The suckling pig is cut and distributed to neighbours and relatives.

But nowadays modern pple like us, do everything on the same day.