USA

foodietravel

Hi Janice,

Steve is right. It's a personal preference whether you'll enjoy a direct flight. Me, i just wanna stretch my legs so i prefer a transit. But like Steve has mentioned, the seats are wider with more leg room on direct flights. So hope to hear your comments when you come back!!

nesame

steve,
Oh, so you are going by package tours? won't it be too rushing to take package tours with a toddler since they will set time everyday. Sometimes it hard to wake them up in the morning and get them prepared.

Janice,
Like what M and steve mention, it is personal preference. Yr pros is your overal flight time is shorter and better leg room. we get to catch some 'fresh air' in between but we have to curl our legs for long hrs.

janjanblues

hi all,

i do hope to enjoy that long long flight though..think return flight is 18hrs!! not sure how "spacious" it can be though...regretted not taking the normal flight which transits at other ctry...haiz..

will share with ya guys on the flight experience..but im only travelling on the 10Dec & returning on 27Dec..

nesame

Janice,
you are there around the same time as me. I will be there fr 7 Dec and reach s'pore on 25 Dec.

Hi M,
Can I know what time the shops closes in SF and LA? What can we do at nite in SF and LA? Not sure which part of the city close late.

de_princess

Hi there, I am planning to visit my hb in US during end dec till jan. Can suggest which airline is the best to fly coz SQ only stop at LA and UAL doesnt go to the city. Hb had to transit to take 2 domestic flights previously. I'm wondering issit better for him to book the domestic flights for me but I'm, afraid it will be troublesome if changes are to be made? And the airtix cost alone can go europe package i think!

foodietravel

Hi San,

Shopping in <font color="119911">SAN FRANCISCO</font>

Most of the shops along <font color="ff0000">Fisherman’s Wharf</font> close late. You’ll prob be able to buy touristy stuff until about 9-10pm daily.

Shops within the Union Square area such as <font color="ff0000">Macy’s, Gap, Banana Republic, Victoria’s Secret, Williams Sonoma</font> etc will prob close about 8-9pm. Not sure abt weekends but could be as early as 6pm. <font color="ff0000">Border’s</font> along Powell Street closes later, maybe 11pm so I usually stop by for books after the rest of Union Square closes up. I think <font color="ff0000">HMV</font> also closes late.

Don’t bother going to <font color="ff0000">Embarcadero Center</font> at night. Even if the shops are still open, that area is in the financial district so the streets are QUIET.

I also assume you’re not gonna venture into Chinatown at night either.

I’m not sure abt the rest of SF but the above are where most folks do their shopping.

Shopping in <font color="119911">LOS ANGELES</font>

I didn’t really shop in LA. The feeling to shop in LA is not as conducive as SF or Minnesota. And most of the shops are branded.. Think Rodeo Drive.
The one place I did shop at was <font color="ff0000">Beverly Center</font> cos it was near my hotel. This place is also mentioned in today’s LIFE section of the Straits Times page 6 under Dr Hols column!! Currently the shopping centre closes at 9pm on weekdays, 8pm on Sat and on Sundays, at 6pm. Nearby, within walking distance, there’re also eateries (diners and restaurants) so it’s pretty convenient.

Along Hollywood Boulevard, there’s <font color="ff0000">Hollywood and Highland</font> which closes 10pm and earlier at 7pm on Sundays. http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/# .

Beside Universal Studios, there’s <font color="ff0000">Universal Citywalk</font> and the eclectic shops open till 10-11pm.

If there’s something specific eg, homeware etc that you’re targeting, lemme know and I’ll see if I remember more.

foodietravel

Hi De Princess,
Errr..... I think if u want anyone of us to help, you might wanna tell us specifically which city and state you're planning to fly to?
wink.gif
... also whether you plan to detour anywhere..?

And where did your hb fly thru (the 2 transits you mentioned)?

Any actual dates you've chosen to fly on?

The only advice i can give is for you to buy your ticket from your home country (even though it's possible your hb may get a better deal from USA). This is because the US air regulations are increasing their security checks by asking you to fill up forms either online or at Changi Airport. If you say that someone (yes, even though it's your hb) got you your ticket from within US, you may be subjected to more queries. Not worth the hassle.

de_princess

Hi M,
I am planning to fly to Fort Walton Beach in Florida. My hb took 2 domestic flights fr LA to Alanta and then to Fort Walton Beach. Planning to fly fr 22 Dec till 6-7 Jan. Buying tix in home country meaning we can't book the domestic flights online for those US sites?

I called a few agencies too and they either dun fly there or it's simply too ex. I tot $4k for just the tix was simply not worth it
sad.gif
... any suggestions where to book ?

foodietravel

Hi De Princess,
the best i can find out for you ---

go to www.singaporeair.com and book a ticket [S$2730 round trip tax included] for SIN to JFK (one of the 3 airports in New York)
SQ26 leaves SIN 22.12.07 at 2355hrs, transits at FRA (frankfurt Germany) and arrives JFK on 23.12.07 at 1100hrs. Stay overnight in New York. Best to find hotel near LGA (another airport in New York.)
The next day ie 24.12.07, take Delta flight 0855h direct 3h04min to VPS (airport code for Fort Walton Beach). Unfortunately, the return trip at 1048h still has a transit in Atlanta.

Delta's Singapore office is on this website http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us/ticket_office_locations/asia/index.jsp#singapore but assuming your credit card has been issued in Singapore, you should <font color="aa00aa">book online at</font> http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/online_reservations/index.jsp

The price for a round trip from JFK new york to VPS florida is approx S$530. Estimated cost by taxi from JFK airport to LGA airport is abt USD25 one way. So IF you can find a hotel near LGA, the cost of the taxi fare from JFK to that hotel shd be abt USD25 too.

Very impt.. If you leave SIN on 22.12.07, you'll arrive in new york on 23.12.07 (u lost 1 day) and thus, your flight from LGA to VPS shd depart only on 24th.
Likewise, if you depart VPS on 05.01.08, you reach LGA on the same day. From JFK, you'll be departing on 05.01.08 at 2055h and reach back SIN on 07.01.08

Kindly check all info again and make sure u choose your dates correctly. I am not responsible for whatever airline or dates you choose. The info may not be correct or up to date. I suggest you check the websites yourself. I merely listed some possible scenarios hor.

de_princess

Thanks M!! Your info is really helpful... but I hope that i wont have such a long transit that need to stay hotel.
happy.gif
still checking on the various websites...

As for the timings, meaning if i fly SIN on 22/12 to LAX and reach 23/12, the timing indicated on the arrival time in LAX is sg time zone or LA time zone? I am paranoid that the connecting domestic flights timing may clash

foodietravel

De Princess,
Please take note, the info i provided u DOES NOT go thru Los Angeles Airport LAX at all!!!!
I suggested that you fly by SQ and fly from SIN (Singapore Airport) to JFK (John F Kennedy Airport in New York City)!! You will transit in Frankfurt Germany!!
Can you please please read my post to you on the 31st Oct 12:12am again? I DID NOT mention anything abt you going to LAX at all?!

foodietravel

Btw de princess,
if you read my post correctly, you will DEFINITELY need to stay over at a hotel near LGA airport in New York. This is because you'll arrive in JFK new york abt 11am and the ONLY direct flight out of all airlines is Delta and THAT flight leaves LGA at 8:55am so you must stay one nite so that you can catch the next morning flight on 24th Dec
wink.gif

de_princess

Hi M,
Dun worry, I am not basing on ur info abt the flight to LAX coz I manage to find some SIN to LAX flight and other domestic flight to Memphis and then Ft Walton.

lovelygal

I've been reading up. Just wondering. I will be in SF for a few days. But how do I get to LV?? or LA?? If i wanna go Grand Canyon, I have to go from LV rite??

foodietravel

Okay De Princess,
as long as you've managed to find an alternative flight. It'll be gd if you fly from SIN to LAX rather than SIN to JFK cos then you won't suffer from jet lag that badly.

Hi Ann,
Welcome to the thread!

To get from SF to LV, you'll prob fly domestic (but u may hafta transit in LA). The airport code for LV airport is LAS (McCarran Airport). Find out which airlines fly into LAS by visiting http://www.mccarran.com/

To get from SF to LA, you can take coach or you can fly domestic. The airport code for Los Angeles Airport is LAX.

If you only have a few days in USA, i suggest you fly. But if you've got the time and you're on a budget, then i guess you'll take coach.

Yes, to get to Grand Canyon, you shd be going from LV. There r tours to Grand Canyon from LV. You can take a day tour from LV or you may wanna stay overnight at Grand Canyon surrounds. Most of the hotels in LV can organise day trips to the Canyons.

de_princess

Hi M,
I hope I wont suffer fr too much jetlag too!

Anyone took Northwest Airlines b4? Heard not so gd feedback so abit worried before booking my tix coz its really a long flight...

lovelygal

M thanks. Still deciding where to stay in SF and LV. Anyone heard of Monticello Hotel in SF?

Will be flying to LV from SF. UA has straight flights. Do we have to be early at the airport for local flights? I was hoping for a 8.25am flight to LV from SF.. But i'm not sure if I can get to SFO so early using BART or some public transport? hehe

foodietravel

Hi Lovelygal,

Monticello Inn is at the bottom of Powell Street, probably the nearest hotel to the BART Powell Street Station. If you take the BART (Bay Rapid Area Transit train) from Powell Street, it'll take you 30min on the Millbrae Line to get to SFO. For 8:25am flight, try taking the 6:01am train to SFO and you'll have almost 2 hrs for check-in. You need only 1 hr for domestic flights but with tighter airport security these days, be more kiasu lah.
Check out www.bart.gov for more info. [Please remember that there are steps at the station, in case u have heavy luggage.]

Location-wise, Monticello Inn is also located very near the Powell Street Cable Car Turnaround. So it is a convenient location (the GAP and Old Navy stores are just round the corner!). But because of proximity to the Turnaround, the sound of the cable cars clanging may get annoying esp in the morning (hee hee).. Sorry, have not stayed there so can't give u feedback on the hotel itself. All i know is that MI is a boutique hotel ;)

hello

Hi M
Just found out that I'll most likely stay at Holiday Inn Civic Centre (in SF) and Riviera Hotel (in LV). Understand that there's lots of homeless pple, drug addicts around Holiday Inn Civic Centre. So kinda worry if they will bother us, especially when i've a kid in toll. Location wise, is Holiday Inn good? Is there any nearby supermarket in that area (e.g. Target)?

As for Riveria, it's on one end of the strip, so i suppose still ok bah.

Thanksgiving day falls on 22 Nov. Is it a big festive day in USA? Wonder if there'll be good discount in boutiques and departmental store like Macy?

Thanks.

foodietravel

Hello Steve,

The <font color="ff0000">Holiday Inn Civic Center</font> in SF is not even in my MapEasy. So it's not exactly a safe tourist zone. It's along Eighth St, beyond Market St so i guess there will be homeless people around. Not sure abt drug addicts. But then, even in a tourist area such as Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square, there ARE homeless folks. Most of them don't bother others. DO NOT donate at all!! Give one, give all! If you have already booked HICC, the best way to be on the safe side with lil girl is to take a taxi after 6pm. (The money u saved on your hotel prob goes to transport) This is because you're going in winter so it'll get dark early. In the day, just be wary of your surrounds.
Don't remember seeing any <font color="ff0000">Target</font> in SF leh. And there are no <font color="ff0000">Walgreens</font> w/in 5min walk of your HICC. Walgreens is a drugstore but at least you can find mineral water, baby necessities, juices, bread, biscuits etc.

The <font color="ff0000">Rivieria Hotel</font> in LV is along the far end of the Strip. I've never ventured to this part of the Strip. It's possible that there will be unfavourable folks around. Ignore them. Even along the main Strip, there are people touting sleazy shows etc. Just be careful.

<font color="ff6000">THANKSGIVING</font>:
Thanksgiving is more a family day than a public celebration ;) You'll see more turkeys flying off the shelves of supermkts! Food is gonna be the promotional item instead of clothes.
It's not like Halloween, Christmas etc. People just wanna spend time with loved ones.. More likely the airports will be busier around the 22nd because families will try to fly domestic to see all their family members. Think of our Singapore Chinese Reunion Dinner?
.hth.

foodietravel

hey Steve,
sorry, i managed to find you a Walgreens near HICC!! hurray!!
it's one block away. Corner of Market Street and Ninth Street. But it's only Walgreens (think 7-Eleven), not a supermarket. I guess, when you're travelling with your toddler, it's better than nothing.
If you think of an alternative hotel in SF and want more info, just lemme know.

lovelygal

M, Thanks again for your reply. I am having a headache planning my LA portion. I probably have only 4 days there... Of which day 1 is flying from V*gas and Day 4 i am taking a late night flight back to SG. I love disneyland, been to the one in Japan and Paris. Should I still go here? Or should I go Universal Studio? And do one day shopping? If I stay at Anheim, it's so far from LA airport and universal studio and those factories outlet.... If i stay in LA, i will be too far from Anaheim and I won't know where's safe to stay in LA...

hello

Hi M
Thanks so much for the info/looking for the info. HICC is booked by my travel agency loh. Lots of travel agencies use that hotel to what I know. Sianz. Must be cos it's cheap that's why. :p Btw, what's the "MapEasy" you mentioned? Great to know there's at least a Walgreen nearby. Better than nothing at all. I read that sun set at 5plus to 6pm. So we'll probably start our day early and try to be back to hotel early too. Probably pack our dinner back to hotel instead of eating outside.

I thought thanksgiving is a public celebration kinda thingy. *paiseh*. Was thinking if can get good discounts at places like Coach, the day after thanksgiving (cos i read from factory outlet website that sale starts at 12midnight day after thanksgiving).

foodietravel

Hi Steve,

MapEasy GuideMap is a water-resistent foldable map which is partially pictorial and clearly states where to eat/shop/stay. It costs USD6.95. Different cities/countries are available. The BEST map in the world! It can be found in most newsstands or bookstores in the USA. You can also order it online but I’ve not tried it and it’s not worth the int’l shipping charges despite the 1 week fast delivery. I usually buy it when I touch down at airports wherever available.

Winter means that that the sun rises late and sunset is early. So daylight hours are limited. Good idea to pack food back to the hotel. The HICC in-house restaurant is open for dinner but donno the price and std of food. Nearby there’s Carl’s JR and Burger King.

Thanksgiving IS a celebration – a celebration of being thankful for family and friends. Nothing 2b paiseh abt. Better to ask than to assume ;)
Now my turn to paiseh --- hee --- I notice that there ARE post-thanksgiving sales under the Chelsea Premium Outlets group but the Napa one is about 1.5 hrs drive away from HICC. I don’t know how far other factory outlets are from SF but if there are post-thanksgiving sales, go for it! Save money what.

To Ann,

Will try to reply you asap… Your answer… must think think. Sorry hor.

foodietravel

Hi Ann,

Okay.. the best I can suggest as of now.

To get to Anaheim from LAX:
Try coach service <font color="ff0000">SuperShuttle</font> www.supershuttle.com It serves Los Angeles Int’l Airport and Orange County and it should be about USD16 per pax one-way. Round-trip maybe cheaper? Supershuttle’s quite comfy.

What to do in Anaheim:

Stay near Disneyland and spend a whole <u>day</u> there. <font color="ff0000">Disneyland</font> is celebrating its Year Of A Million Dreams http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/yomd2/landing?name=DisneylandYOMD2LandingPage&amp;bhcp=1 (continues thru 2008) so it’ll be pretty cool to go this year. My dad went to the Paris one and he claims that he very much prefers Anaheim.

The next <u>day</u>, you can go to <font color="ff0000">South Coast Plaza</font> (I usually spend a leisurely day there) for shopping.. http://www.southcoastplaza.com/ Sorry, can’t remember any factory outlets around Anaheim.
And at <u>night</u>, go back to the strip just outside Disneyland called <font color="ff0000">Downtown Disney</font> for basic Disney shopping and to have dinner etc.
Alternatively, you can also spend have a <u>day</u> at <font color="ff0000">Knott’s Berry Farm</font> http://www.knotts.com/ for old-fashioned theme park fun, esp. if love Snoopy.
Then in the <u>evening</u>, go for some dinner and live entertainment at Medieval Times. I went there years ago and both times, had great fun. http://www.medievaltimes.com/cahomepage.htm
You may wanna check out http://www.viator.com/tours/Anaheim-and-Buena-Park/Medieval-Times-Dinner-and-Tournament-in-Anaheim/d797-3580MEDIEVAL for advance tickets if you’re REALLY sure you wanna go. And don’t forget to tell them you’re from Singapore when you arrive at the castle ;) and also let them know if you happen to be celebrating a birthday, anniversary, honeymoon etc.

Hmmmm… Los Angeles,

I guess u can go to the factory outlet near Los Angeles, I think it’s near Ventura area.

Besides Universal Studios, which of course is guaranteed fun, most other places are more for sightseeing. Can’t recommend any hotels in LA because the last hotel I stayed at happened to be a lovely boutique hotel which has since changed hotel name and mgt.
Sorry.

nesame

Hi M,
You mention South Coast Plaza. Is this in Anaheim? As on the day of arrival fr SIN, after check in our Anaheim hotel in the morning, we will sleep and then in the afternoon hope to find some shopping nearby. Is the shopping there great?

foodietravel

Hi San,
<font color="ff0000">South Coast Plaza</font> is a shopping centre abt 20-25min away from Disneyland Anaheim. Most tourists who stay at the hotels around Disneyland will go there because of the variety of shops available.
Anchor tenants include Macy's , Nordstrom, Sears, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales.
HOWEVER, if you're going to San Francisco, go to the Macy's, Saks &amp; Nordstrom in SF Union Square instead! These departmental stores have a much bigger variety in SF.
Current fare for adults to SCP is USD13 roundtrip from hotels around the Disneyland area.
There's also <font color="ff0000">The Block At Orange</font> (which i've not been to) which is nearer to Disneyland. If you do go, kindly give me some feedback as to whether it's nice to go there.
For very basic shopping which also includes Disney stuff, the nearest will still be <font color="ff0000">Downtown Disney</font>.

nesame

Hi M,
Ok noted. Yes, i saw teh shuttle bus and hotel I stay, Anaheim Plaza is 1 of it that they do pick up to SCP. So maybe we have to decide when we wake up that day. I understand there's a walmart and target near anaheim as well. So we will choose between this few.

Btw, SF chinatown doesn't open at night right?

foodietravel

Hi San,
Chinatown in SF is busier in the morning, in the day. I've gone to Chinatown at dinner time to buy take-away dinner for my mom (who prefers Chinese food) and it was SUPER quiet at night. Maybe wrong part of Chinatown?!

kfkbmel

Hi M,

It's me again.
happy.gif
Do you happen to know how's the car rental company, Fox? Are their cars any good? Too old or something? I saw their rental rates and found it to be even cheaper than Dollar! So thinking of renting from them but want to get some feedback first.

foodietravel

Hi kfkbmel,

Sorry. I've not driven overseas before. But more importantly, i've not noticed any Fox counters within the SF airport. I've seen other rental counters.Which means that the Fox counter could prob be located offsite. Pro: Shd be cheaper. Con: Might be more troublesome if u have plenty of luggage.
Not sure abt LAX because i've not been to LAX for the past two years..

hello

M

Great to know there's Carls Jr near HICC. Cos my wife wants to try that (she never tried in Singapore though. haha). Maybe can consider that as one of our dinners.

Probably won't go all the way to factory outlet while in SF (since I will be visiting 2 factory outlets on the way to LV - Desert Hill Premium Outlet and Primms Factory Outlet). Am hoping that departmental stores like Macy's, Nordstorm will have post-thanksgiving sale.

Re luggage lock: I heard that we must use combination lock for our luggage (my tour leader said as long as it's combination lock, it's fine.) However, my friend who just came back from her US trip said her hubby just use the normal lock and his luggage was in tact, not forced open at all. Now I'm confused if we really need those special TSA lock or just a simple combination lock, or any kind of lock is fine.

lovelygal

Hi M. Your suggestion sounds great!!! Dun b sorri. I should be the one saying sori tat i m troubling u so much... ;)

By the way, i m confuse over all the grand canyon tour options. Not sure if I should spend USD250 for a air + bus tour....
sad.gif
.. Wad was ur option when u went the other time?

kfkbmel

Hi Steve,

Just my two cents worth. Actually, I think it would be ok if you don't use any lock at all for your flights. Just zip up the luggage and leave it as it is, as you never know when your luggage will be checked. Random checks are performed on the luggages which means urs may or may not be opened. It's ok as long as you do not leave anything valuable inside. I went to the States twice last year and I never once locked my luggage. Figured it's not worth to have it forced open, nor neccessary to buy a TSA lock. I even left all my lap top's wires and hand charger, etc. inside and they were all intact. Actually, I believe mine was opened and checked once cos my things inside were all inside out but nothing was missing. I even checked in my backpack on my way back and it was still fine.
happy.gif

foodietravel

Hey Steve,

I posted this in archive so just to re-post in case u missed it:
"Luggage:
Bring hard luggage if possible esp if travelling in winter because luggages are out in the cold before going into the planes. DO NOT lock your hard luggage!! Leave your 3 or 4 digit codes as they are. Simply CLOSE the luggage. Then....
Buy luggage straps with TSA (Travel Sentry Authority) approved locks. Use these to strap around your hard luggage. These straps can be locked. The US airport authorities have generic keys to open the locks. Even if they don't bother to use their keys, they only damage your strap, not your main luggage.
THEN.... When in hotel/motel room, always lock your main luggage. Chambermaids can't steal anything. But remember to GET RID of your airline bar-coded label that was stuck on during check-in departure."

Just like kfkbmel mentioned, checks are RANDOM. It's not nec to buy TSA-approved locks. I just wanna strap my luggages because coming back to SIN, my luggages are always filled to the brim and i worry my luggage opens by itself when it's not locked. So the straps with the TSA approved numeric locks are like my 'security blanket'. Easy for the US airport security to open and they can be locked anytime.

I also heard that the factory outlets in LV are nearer so cheaper to get there by public transport. So you shd prob aim for those instead .

Hey Ann,

It's my pleasure to help out!
Regarding <font color="ff0000">Grand Canyon</font> tours, if you aren't against helicopters or mini planes (i get terrible motion sickness in those), then you should take the air cum bus tour. Just the bus tour will only bring you to the edge of the canyon. Whereas the view up in the air will be spectacular.
I went by coach and since i tried a helicoptor tour in Dreamworld Australia, i never wanna go in a chopper again. It's just too scary being at the edge of the window for me and because it's less stable than a 747 plane.... my tummy sure hates it!
But like i said, the best view for the GC is definitely from up above. It's not like you're gonna go Grand Canyon every year, so see the USD 250 as a treat.
While you're in LV, I do highly recommend visiting <font color="ff0000">Red Rock Canyon</font> for the desert and vast landscape views. It's breathtaking!

hello

kfkbmel &amp; M

Thanks for the insights on locks. M, sorry that you gotta repost from the archive (appreciate that). I vaguely remember reading that post that's why I'm confused when my friend told me any lock also can. Whereas my tour leader said any combination lock will do (i.e. no need to be TSA type). Then my brother in law said no need to lock luggage. My only fear if we don't lock luggage is whether someone will plant something inside our luggage? Haha...I must be paranoid to think of that.

M

Have you been to the Valley of the Fire? I did a search on web and found out that it's just to look at some rocks kinda thingy. It's an optional tour costing USD45 per pax (USD35 for child) and I'm thinking if it's worth the $ and the time. Also there's this night tour (3 hours) in LV where the guide will bring us to see the lighting in downtown and view some evening roadside shows. I'm also thinking of skipping it and go on our own by public transport (since there's day bus pass at USD5). Don't know why they are charging USD35 per pax (USD25 for child).

foodietravel

Hi Steve,

I only vaguely remember tours touting the Valley Of Fire but i never did go for it. This is because i spent most of the time doing stuff like
- catching the designated free shows such as 'the simple but fun statues moving, talking, special effects within the Forum Shoppes at Caesars'
- 'a 3hr magic cum dinner show at Caesars (unfortunately it's no longer in prodn cos Caesars lost money on it). It was very worth it! Maybe u can search for other magic entertainment, hopefully a simple one that your kid might enjoy.
- shopping
- fashion show at Fashion Show Mall
- Red Rock Canyon was a whole day thingy
- Hoover Dam
- Grand Canyon
- the Fremont Street experience which is prob the lighting downtown u mentioned
- all the free night shows along the Strip

IMO, it might be a bit rush if you take the 3hr night tour because you don't get to take photos before and after the evening roadside shows. Crowds are usually 'stationed' 15 min before the shows start and it's difficult to take photos with tons of people in the backdrop. The plus side of the night tour for you is that you ARE staying at Riviera (am i correct?) so walking abt free and easy might be tiring with a toddler. Do remember to watch out for pickpockets when you're watching a free show. They're very quick to disappear with wallets!

paulineda

Hi M,

I was having insomnia that few nights. I'm alright now.

Need your views on this:

I will be travelling from Tucson to LA on a domestic flight on 17 Dec.

From there, I have two places in LA to go before I depart from LAX to Singapore on 19 Dec at about 12noon.

- Santa Monica (17 Dec)
- Universal Studios (18 Dec)

Any suggestions how I can plan my accommodation and transport these 3 days?

Please kindly advise.
Thanks! =)

paulineda

Hey M,

After reading your recommendation to Ann, I am having second thoughts on staying in Santa Monica on 17 Dec.

Hehe. After reading your msg, I am tempted to pay a visit to Disneyland again. Oh dear.... But my hubby is not interested. Hmmmm...

How about this? Let me know if this is feasible.

17 Dec:
Tucson to LAX. Reach around noon time.
Take shuttlebus to Anaheim. Visit Disneyland (Is it too late? How about our luggages?). Spend the night in one of the hotels at Anaheim.

18 Dec:
Whole day at Universal Studios.
After dinner, travel to Santa Monica for last night stay (By shuttlebus? Please advise).

19 Dec:
Last min sight-seeing and shopping at Santa Monica. Head for LAX at 11am.

foodietravel

De Snowyz,
only (and big) problem that i foresee in your 2nd itinerary is:
on 18th Dec, while you're at Universal, WHERE do you plan to keep your luggages? after all, i doubt u wd've checked into a hotel by then (since check in time is usually after 2pm).

Actually, since you have less than a day in Anaheim, might not be worthwhile for you to travel from LAX to Anaheim. But unfortunately i can't suggest an alternative itinerary for u (brain not functioning; working long hrs this wk).

u might wanna stick to your original plan and just stay put in Santa Monica on 17th, maybe go to Third St Promenade and the pier/beach or something.

next day, head out to U-Studios and spend the entire day there and walk next door to Universal Citywalk which is open at nite. There're some shops and food outlets etc.

Because on the 3rd day, even if u wanna shop at Santa Monica, shops don't open early. Doubt u can do last min shopping.

I know it's not much of a plan but then, u don't have much time leh.

Just curious, i've never been to Tucson, what do you plan to do there?

paulineda

Hey M,

Yup, I agree with you. I doubt we have much time either. Thanks for your suggestion! =)

Basically, Tucson has nothing much to see. It is just an ulu little town. Hehe.

The reason is my bestie and her family will be travelling with us by their car from San Francisco>Yosemite>LV>Grand Canyon

Then, my bestie and her family will go back Tucson while we will be staying at her place for 2 nights, that's all -- to take a short break after all the travelling. And to play with her 2 year old son (also my godson!). =D

Then, my hubby and I will leave Tucson to explore Los Angeles by ourselves.

That's why! =)

foodietravel

Hey De Snowyz,

I'm happy for you! You get to travel and stay with friends! So even thou you're going to an ulu town, consider it lucky that you get to go somewhere most people don't visit.

nesame

Hey M, any idea which is the better outlet to visit in LV? Btw, do you happen to know if buying cosmetics, which state is cheaper? I know LV tax is lowest but wondering if the retail price is same everywhere or different state, different RRP.

hello

Hi M
Based on your info, there's lots of things to do at LV. Since i only have 1 full day and 1 nite free time there, will give those optional tours a miss. Ya, Rivieria is located at the north side of the strip, so a bit of distance to travel down the strop. Will probably get those day pass for bus/trolley since it's only $5 or so. I checked out the Las V*gas Premium Outlet, it's located slightly above from the north strip and can be reached via public transport too. Do you know if that outlet is better compared to the other one at the south strip of LV, think it's LV factory outlet.

Can I also check if you know the availability of Target in LV and SF? I know there's one located near my hotel in Anaheim (Wyndham Anaheim Hotel). As LA is my first stop and I need to get quite a no. of stuff from Target, wonder if I can locate one further down my trip so that I don't have to lug the stuff.

Tks!

foodietravel

Hi San &amp; Steve,

Don't know which outlet is better cos i've not been to any. But if i remember correctly, the RRP for stuff such as cosmetics and skincare is the same. So you shd be looking for a state with lowest sales tax.
Yes, there is a Target in Anaheim. But i didn't see any Target in LV of SF, only in Minneapolis.
Sorry!

nesame

Hi M,
Walmart &amp; Target in Anaheim, which outlet is bigger and more worth to shop? Deciding on this 2.

Btw, we can enter USA if we do not do not have Biometric pp right? Also, have you heard of if to drive in USA, Singapore licence is not under internation licence and we need apply for it? My bro coll mention driving in US need international licence and SIN licence is not consider. We need to apply it at AA.