Taiwan F&E

cookies

hi all,
i'm planning a trip to taiwan in early Nov for about 10 days.
any experienced ones out there to share about your trip and itneraries.
thanks in advance.

idono

Day 1, Arrival (evening liao) -> Taipei -> Check-in & travel to Shilin for dinner + shopping (if leave shilin by 8pm due to boredom, then travel to ximenting (muchuan ming ge chanting) to listen to music (esp. during wkends)

Day 2, KeeLong for late morning meal -> Yeliu (late morn to afternoon) scenic tour (seafood lunch) -> Danshui in late afternoon for hawker food + sunset. After tht, can go to danmu for shopping

Day 3, Travel early in morning to JiuFen. Come back after lunch and prepare to move out of Taipei. Have to decide whether to go east or west taiwan from here. Lets assume go west taiwan. Then travel to TaiChung 1st. Check in hotel and visit the local night market there

Day 4, Leave v. early to go to JiaYi to catch small red train to Alishan. Spend the rest of day exploring alishan and rest early for night

Day 5, Wake 4am to catch sunrise. Prepare to leave alishan after that ~11am. Travel to Kaoshiung to explore the city and the night market.

Day 6, Continue to explore the city sights. After lunch, travel to TaiTung. Check-in evening and explore city at night

Day 7, Explore sights around Taitung. Have to travel to Hualien in afternoon. You'll arrive v. late in Hualien. There's some sports like river rafting which you might want to +1 day to enjoy.

Day 8, explore hualian + Taroko Gouge.

Day 9, After breakfast, travel back to Taipei. If you're self-drive, can explore the coastal sights on the way back, which will take u 1 day to do so. If not, you'll arrive taipei pretty late afternoon. You might want to visit some of the touristy area like CK memorial hall, sun yat-sun temple etc + red light district etc.

Day 10, Prepare to leave Taiwan

idono

I'm not v. familiar with eastern taiwan, so can only give u a rough idea regarding TaiTung & Hualien.

Also, if you travelling by train, book ur tix in advance.

Above is a sample suggestion only. You can change the area of interest to suit ur focus
happy.gif

cookies

hi idono
thanks so much.

u say book train tic in advance, means book it in taiwan or we can pre-book in sg?

do u travel mostly by train or buses?? isit easy to travel by e public tpt?

also, in terms of accomodation, any good recommendations for budget stay???

idono

I cant remember how to book from the net. But what I meant was to book ur next train tix 1st thing you arrive at the station.

I mostly travel by bus unless I know its highway jam (during certain day & hour). Travel by bus is usually as fast if not faster, but timing wont be as accurate as train.

Outside taipei, there isn't much of public tpt to speak of. Just take taxi if near city. Maybe you can readup how to get to those touristy spots you wanna go first. Then I can give u a rough idea of what to expect if you travel via certain mode of transport.

Accomodations I usually just book from those recommended in travel guides.

fuschia

Hi Idono

I'll be going to Taipei in Nov too. Just a short 4 days trip in Taipei. There's a one day tour provided in the package which includes Jiu Fen. Heard that it's worth visiting Jiu Fen, but am wondering if the bus ride is very rough and long?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks
happy.gif

idono

Not too sure where ur bus ride starts. But usually, I'll take train to a station (forgot the name liao), then take a bus to JiuFen. Its a short ride, but steep. Not rough. I think 15-30min ride depending on traffic.

If bus ride from taipei, ie tour bus etc. Maybe take 1+ hr. Not too sure, coz I only driven from taipei before. Takes about 45min by car depending on traffic.

idono

Most of the time, the mountain area around JiuFen is covered by clouds. Jokingly, I'll say that if a person is suffering from depression, he/she might just commit suicide in that area. Heh heh... there're moments when the scenery just convey those depressing feelings to you.

Most people will just visit the town JiuFen. A lot of stairways in the town, so be prepared to exercise your legs quite a bit.

During your bus ride there, bus will first climb up mountain. At the peak, it'll suddenly slope downwards. You will be able to see the town and its harbour. Very wonderful view esp. at night.

idono

Some pictures representative of JiuFen:
(PS, I didn't take these pictures, just got them somewhere else)

Surprisingly, you'll find cat in JiuFen. Dun usually find them in Taipei
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF1.JPG

Its nicknamed "City of Sorrow" after the movie that was made there. Anyway, I find it a very appropriate name
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF2.JPG

JiuFen city view
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF3.JPG

The harbour
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF4.JPG

The harbour at dusk
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF5.JPG

The harbour at night
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF6.JPG

An old street in JiuFen. If I remember correctly, the oldest cinema in Taiwan is along this climb.
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF7.JPG

The road leading down to JiuFen
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF8.JPG

A waferfall near the city in the mountains.
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF9.JPG

A typical view from JiuFen
http://vietnam.deltasoft.com.my/JF/JF10.JPG

greenie

heee... the trip to Jiu fen, in my opinion was horrendous coz it was rough and a lot of turns... i wld say to stock up on sour plums & seasick pills. and go on a half full stomach, else u will regret.

frankly speaking, i dun feel anything great & amazing abt Jiu Fen, i wonder why everyone gave it thumbs up?
uhoh.gif

bubble_low

Hi,

Anyone know how's the weather at taiwan in nov ? Need to bring thick sweaters ? What're the things to buy in taiwan ?

idono

Dearie,

Sometimes, it depends on luck and timing. Eg. I've been to YangMingShan 3 times and each time, its totally shrouded by clouds. Cant see a single thing.

The only time I've been to Alishan, was a fantastic weather. Even my taiwan friends say i was so lucky.

As for JiuFen, been there many times. Sometimes, just go there to get the little souvenirs for singapore friends. Sometimes, just feel like going there to eat the specialty there again. Sometimes, just hang out in the coffee house there which overlook the city/harbour/mountains. Dunno why, but it's just a place that brings back nostagic feelings
happy.gif

Nov is cool weather. But winter is coming. If you plan on visiting high altitudes like YangMingShan, and esp. Alishan, bring thick clothings.

Things to buy now in taiwan is summer fashion on discount. Little sourvenirs and fake goods that is almost real. Otherwise, my friends tend to buy back food stuff like pineapple tart(?), taiyang bin. and some other taiwan specialty.

fuschia

Idono

Thanks so much for sharing with me. You are very familiar with Taipei? If I have further questions, can seek ur advice?

hong

Hi,

I am going for my bz trip to Taipei on 11 Oct will extend a day or two there. Can tell me any interesting place i shldnt miss there?

night market, good food? things to get etc etc?

hong

Idono,

I dun know whether i have time for scenic.

But i prefer FOOD! I heard alot of good food there. wanted to try their food.

will i have time for scenic. May be u name a few so i can plan to go for 1 or 2.

meagan

I heard Jiufen is named cos previously there were 9 families staying there so everything comes in 9 portions so the name 'Jiu Fen.'

I like the place very much..hmm maybe it is becos of the layout...kind of being like in the kungfu movies.

Idono, not sure if the coffee house is the same one which I went to. It's on the 2nd storey with a nice view and the lady boss is quite pretty. They serve pretty good 'Na2 Tie3' too (latte in Chinese). We chanced upon it while going back to our homestay.

Hong, if you are going to Jiufen, do try the fried cod fish..very nice! Don't miss out on Ru Ruo Fan (rice with braised minced meat) and ah zhong mian xian too.

hong

meagan,
thanks i will see if i have time to go Jiufen. it was outside taipei? I need to take a MRT there? Far? How long to reach there

meagan

hi hong, we drove there. Not very far away from Taipei, abt a few hours. The ride was quite nice cos the highway was right beside the ocean. But if you only have 2 days, i will suggest go see Yeliu, Huaxi Street, Shilin night market and Yangmingshan. Don't forget to go to their shopping centres (Xin Guang Shan Yue) too.

idono

Hiya,

9 families? Me not too sure. But there's a ShiFen (10 portions) too. At ShiFen, nothin' much except a very wide waterfall. But pple usually pass by there during Yuan Xiao (15th day of CNY). Coz tht's where a big celebration with the release of hundreds of heavenly lanterns usually take place.

JiuFen is outside Taipei, cannot reach by MRT. First, you need to take train to get as near there as possible, then take a bus or taxi. Taxi will cost about NT$300. This mode of transport take about 1+ hr. Actually, Meagan's route is via the "backdoor", hence takes a few hrs. She probably drove to the coastal area and into the mountains. Its my fav route too
happy.gif
. Do note that there's no public transport which goes by this route.

Which pretty boss? I nvr see before leh... can remember the name of the shop? next time i definitely must vist it
happy.gif

idono

Personally, I dun see Taipei city as a place for visiting except when I wanna watch movie or do shopping with my gfs and of coz for food.

On top of what Meagan mention -> Ru Ruo Fan (generic term for minced pork rice), ah zhong mian xian (a roadside store in ximenting itself). Myself, I like their shabu shabu (japanese small hot pot). There used to be a shop selling something tht's similar to our bakgukte (pork rib soup) tht's at shilin. But since shilin had "modernised", i'm not sure if its still there.

Taiwan is more famous for its xiaochi (small eat). So go to places like DanShui (take MRT to last stop), lots of xiaochi. Also JiuFen hv lots of xiaochi too. And shops around chenghuangmiao in taipei.

But for coffee lovers, prepared to be disappointed. Most of them dunno what is a good brew.

cookies

hi idono or any1 who has visited taiwan, appreciate yr advise...
i'm travelling to taiwan fr 7-16nov n hv plan something like this
8nov- CKS, martyr Shrine, JiuFen, Ximenting
9nov - Beitou, dansui. shilin mkt
10 nov - (any other places in taipei for morning?) travel to hualien by train in afternoon
11 nov - taroko gorge (how to go or shd i take a day tour, if take day tour,where to book?)
12 nov - hualien, nantou(where to go around in hualien? isit appropriate to drive from here to Nantou?)
13nov - sun moon lake, nite travel to taichung -feng jia mkt
14 nov - tour taichung, travel to kao shiung
15 nov - kao shiung tour
* plan to drive maybe on 11,12 n13nov, can advise if safe? and where to rent?
* where is good places to go in hualien, nantou, taichung, kao shiung?
* is it safe to book train tickets on the day itself?

thanks so much in advance.

idono

How r u travelling while in taipei? i assume u intend to go ximenting late evening onwards? Sorry cant help u on 10nov. I think its a working day and nothin' much going on in taipei. You might just go shopping. Shops open usually about 11am. Or hv an authentic taiwan breakfast of youtiao and soybean.

you can book short tours to taroko gorge at hualien. Just ask ur hotel.

Not sure if you can drive from hualien to nantou. coz tht road is usually blocked ever since the 921 earthquake. anyway, its quite dangerous in typhoon season or just after typhoon season. highly NOT recommended to try.

a suggestion is tht u switch ur iternary around. go from hualien to kaoshiung. then from kaoshiung to taichung or sun moon lake & nantou whichever u prefer to come first.

try to book in advance if u can for train tickets. otherwise, u can still get on the train if u book on the spot, the only variable is whether u get seats or u get to stand.

i c ur focus is mostly on the northern part of taiwan wif relatively lesser knowledge outside of tht? coz the 1st few days consist of short hops while the last few days are long hops.

for driving, i can only say its not easy to drive in big cities. and i would definitely not advised driving into the mountains w/o checking in advance the road condition and situation. in other words, u need to be familiar wif the place + know where to get local news on road condition.

more info:
for northern taiwan -> taipei & area, u can consider yeliu, yangmingshan

central taiwan -> alishan, yushan (i feel more worth than sun moon lake).

kaoshiung -> foguanshan. love river at nite.

hong

Hi,
I came back from my TWN bz trip and i will be going againnext thurs.

I visited Xi Men Ding cos my hotel is in the mid of it. I went DanSuai, ShiLin, Hua Xi nite market. When to 101 building, and some of their shopping mall..

find the stuff there not cheap. The food there is something new to me. Quite ok i can take it. I love the weather there as in now. really cooling, i didnt even perspire.

Experience a mild earthquake when i was checking in my luaggage at the airport. check with the corner lady and she confirmed that was an earthquake. A very difference experience for me.

idono

I kinda like the jap curry rice in their foodcourt. not hot type. but then, wouldn't recommend going foodcourt for tourist. nothin' special lar.. heh.

well, my very 1st earthquake experience happens to be the 921 earthquake. imagine my wide and bewildered eyes and was thinking "are all earthquake like tht?"

cookies

hi idono,
thanks for the advise,
i'm flying to taipei n coming back from kao shiung, that's y KS is last.
i'm probably traveling by mrt in taipei or cab since there's 4 of us.
as for jiufen, how do i get there??
do u hv any suggestion of my itnerary cos i basically only hv 8 days, as the 1st n last is used to 'fly'.

thanks in advance.

idono

jiufen take train to a particular station, i cant remember the station name liao.. heh. hv to search on the web. then take a cab or bus. but since 4 of u, just take cab. shd be NT$200-NT$300 ...

ur itnerary looks fine. anr mode of transport is internal flight. like fly from hualien to taichung?

fuschia

Hi Hong

Are you going to Taiwan again on business trip? What type of clothings will you be bringing this time round. Understand the temp range from 17 - 25 degree. Wonder how cold it is.

hong

Fuschia,

The previous visit i only brought 1 pc of long sleeves, 1 jacket and the rest all short sleeves.

I njoy the cool weather there.. not really shivering cold. I didnt even perspires....

I dun think 17 degree is really a challenge to sporean. Especially we are in the nite market. Doesnt even notice the cold at all.

fuschia

Thanks, Hong.

At least now I know what type of clothes to bring when I visit Taiwan.
happy.gif

Oh yes, during your last visit, how much money did you bring? On average, what's the cost per meal (say normal street type of food?) I suppose if the stuff there are not cheap as compared to Singapore, I'll probably just spend on food.. hee. Thanks in advance.

hong

Fushia,

I changed Sin$700 over cos i paid my hotel pay cash and the food there is ard $2 for the noodles and food in nite market is ard $2 - 5.

I got alot of the goodies back... end up i still have SIn$100 left.

I am going again..

idono

Generally, food is slightly more ex in taipei than singapore of comparative standard. Big hotels in taipei will accept credit card. And for shopping, branded or imported items are more expensive than Singapore. You might not mind spending on local specialties.

idono

Oh forgot to mention, if you're going there now, maybe you might be interested in some of the summer sale clothings.

hong

Idono, is there summer sale. I went in mid Oct and only this Net boutique is having sale.. althot there are many stall ard in Taipei but most of it was selling like long sleeves top for ladies.

Yah where shld we go for the summer sale?

idono

Hi,

The sale is not in Singapore's Great Sale type of proportion. Nor will it be advertised as such. So now we all know why the Great Singapore Sale is so popular.

You can generally find summer clothings at lower price during this period, that's what I meant. You may be surprise, but taiwanese clothings for ladies tend to be more conservative. So yes, long sleeve top is common, spagetti straps, bare backs etc, are not so common.

In general, shop around shilin and DanMu area. More trendy ones will shop around XiMenTing

bump2

hi idono

may i ask how is the weather around mid Dec like? I will be staying in taipei, i intend to go there to eat , eat and eat. Wonder how there any cheap VCDs shops around, or even shops that sells DVDs, or even toys like those transformers collection....?

idono

mid dec will be a bit cold. But since u're in big city most of the time, you might not feel it. anyway, the temperature depends on whether you'll meet a cold front or not. If you happen to meet a cold front, it can get pretty cooling in mid dec. if not, its pretty ok.

Try GuangHuaShangChang for ur stuff. It just at their computer street area.

bump2

thanks, idono

i will mark down the computer street area.

is there any particular street that sells those gundam collections?

idono

I'm not too sure on the specific collections. But I think ximenting is a good bet. If not, try shilin night market.

anne

Idono,
I dunno whether u still visiting this thread.
I would like to enquire some information about CKS Airport transfer like buses and so on..do u familiar with that?
Can I have your e-mail address?
I might be travelling to Taipei on 11/03/05..which is Next Friday.
Thanks

elaine77

Hi everyone,

anne..Im going to taiwan on 14th march too.. but im going with tour. I saw from the tv that taipei is raining quite heavily.. especially yangminshan.. alishan.. will that affect the travelling scedule? I thought of cancelling the trip but i will have to forfeit my deposit,

anne

Elaine, I'm going on my own. My hubby is on biz trip there..so I try to make a trip there to meet him for the weekends.
Well, according to him, the weather is pretty cold for this yr. They r having "han-liu" now. Yesterday night the weather is at 5 deg in Taipei.
Haven't heard about rain yet..not too sure about yangminshan and alishan.
Which travel agent u booked??

decimalpoint

hi anne, elaine,

i also going to taipei on 13 mar. seems very cold now, even have mar snow. elaine i sign up chan bros, u?

i hope the weather clears. usually ar already into spring, dunno y this year like that...

elaine77

Hi Decimal point..
mine also chan brothers.. haha.. i think we will see each other there.. is yours 14th or 13 march? Mine is 14 march dept , 20th back to sg.. 7 days tour.

Yah.. the weather is pretty cold now..usually this time round of the year is not that cold, spring is the best time to go as you can see the flower blooming at yangmingshan but this year is quite bad leh..

decimalpoint

elaine,
mine is the 4 days tour. i taking cathay pacific, transfer at hong kong. leaving on 13 march. will we meet?

looks like got a lot of people booked cos i couldn't get direct flight, only can with the transit. i've never been on holiday in spring, thought this time will get to see nice scenery now like that. i've been checking the weather on the net, supposedly will clear on 14th onwards. i really really praying so...

bugs

hi gals,
me and hb going taipei next week, worry about the weather too, dun know to bring warm clothings a not.

anne, is it real that it's 5 deg in taipei now?

anne

sgn, I'm in Changi Airport waiting for boarding..will let u know the weather when i return next week..
When r u leaving?