Sydney - My Honeymoon

totoro

dear all,
i sign up in Natas fair in going to Sydney for the first time.therefore like some of ur advice for those who have been there...

any particular place to recommend?romantic and nice..

we will be there for 1 week and 3 days in Blue mountains..so for the rest in syndey , where should i go? our is free and easy...

lkf

hi totoro

blue mts is nice, r u going to jenolan caves as well?

in sydney itself, u can go to QVB, paddy's market (Chinatown) for shopping. if u like handmade crafts u can visit the rocks mkt over the weekend (not very cheap but it's a gd experience to be there cos the crafts r plentiful and nice). they also hv departmental stores like david jones, grace brothers.

hope this helps.

kpo

hi,

shopping places are many...check out the downtown malls in the central business district..pitt street..queen victoria bldg, paddington, hay street (paddy's only opened fri-sun).

other interesting places to visit are bondi beach, taronga park zoo, do the sydney harbour bridge climb, darling harbour, hunter valley (do a day tour or rent a car), kings cross (you can find drugs and red light district - many stripclubs and adult shops...interesting to see but be careful...a walk during the day time is safer).

totoro

ya..i am staying near darling harbour..

what is worth buying in syndey???anything?

where are the shops for Ripcurl and those beach wear, bermudas and stuff

catz

Paddy's Market has a few factory outlets - Esprit, Nine West etc.. Esprit is worth checking out!
happy.gif
Surprisingly surf wear like Billabong is NOT that cheap in Australia. Oh and check out Bonds underwear at David Jones.
happy.gif

A

aussiechick

hey Totoro

I lived in Sydney for a while as a student some years back and have been back for holidays last year.
When are you going down to Sydney?

There are tonnes of things to do, just that it is pretty weather depending. You should climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge and also go to the unique food places on trendy streets like Crown St, Surry Hills or even in South of inner Sydney. (Check out www.citysearch.com.au for more details of each city).

My recommendation is to buy things like surf wear at Bondi, Manly Beach. Cheaper versions can be bought at Paddy's Market as well as the factory outlet above called Market City.
If you like or have time, can go to Birkenhead Point (take bus 501 from central and walk- the bus drivers will tell you where to stop if you ask them for help- very friendly!) and buy at the factory outlets. There's another at Maroubra but it's in the neighbourhood and the stuff is not all branded or that good.

Eat authentic Thai food at Newtown, Italian at Leichhardt. there is the Rocks market on Sundays at The Rocks (just 2 mins from Circular Quay). If you like swanky stuff, you can dine at the restaurants near the Opera House(the locals called it the "Toaster"). There's also a heritage walk around the Rocks and you may find some funny pubs there... it's pretty romantic in the evening around 4-5pm but try not to walk alone too late past 9pm, esp in dark areas near the Central Train Station or dark alleys.

Walk at the Domain Park which is the Botanic Gardens of Sydney, it's behind the shopping area (near George St)and is near the Contemporary Museum of Art. Beautiful view of the city (there was an Olympic Cross Coutry Run there) and you can see Opera House AND the Woolloomooloo Wharve there. You can also eat the famous hotdogs AND PIES! at Woolloomooloo...

If you're keen on nature, drive up to the nature parks north of Sydney. It's pretty exciting.

Now it'll be turning pretty cold, so I don't suggest swimming on the beaches but its a good experience lah.

You'll get to experience the usual touristy places but make sure you don't eat too much at the food courts. it's pointless, the food's almost as expensive as going to a restaurant and tastes like shit.

Cafes are excellent, not just for their $2.50 Cappucinos (even got soy milk or low fat! Favourites!) but their bistro food is really solid! I went to Sydney Uni and there's a neighbourhood called Glebe and there are fabulous cafes and restaurants there. Bus 431/433 from The Rocks, George St City or Central Station.

Some websites you can check:
www.smh.com.au
www.sta.nsw.gov
www.ninemsn.com.au

I miss my time there and really wished I could go back again and again.

Enjoy yourself!

M

may day

Hi Totoro.

Transport: Train ticket:I would advice you to get a weekly ticket that included bus ride and bus ride. It will save $$$ especially if you using public transport, you can get on and off anywhere as long as you purchase your ticket for that particular zone.
Bus ticket: Get a MetroTen. It will give you ten ride. You can share the ticket with your Hubby.

A ferry ride from Circular Quay to Manly (beach) or Bondi is pretty romantic. The fish and chip at Manly is pretty good. It only take less than 30 mins to walk from Queen Victoria Building to Ciricular Quay. From Circular Quay , you can walk to Opera House. You can take a tour at Opera House.

Shopping:
-The Rock Market only open on the weekend. Sell mostly art and craft stuffs.
-At Birkenhead Point, there are factory outlets for brand like Nine West, Country Road, French Connection. You can spent >1 hour there.
-At Paddy, you can buy v. cheap gifts. It only open on the weekends.

Food:
-At Chinatown you can get some great Chinese food, world class dim sim.
-Newton is definitely good for bistro/cafe food.
-Auburn and Carlingford- Korean food.
- Viet. food is everywhere. Better than Singapore.

Have fun!

E

el

have anyone of you bought the Sydney Pass? which gives u unlimited rides on buses, trains & ferries. I would like to know whether it is really that good, from those who have actually used it...

totoro

wow . theres a lot of good info..thanks a million..

Me going in june..guess will be cold..
heehee..where is the hard rock cafe located..

is the cab fare cheap there? any good night spots..

M

may day

Hi Totoro,

Cab fare is expensive. Where will you be staying?

Hard Rock Cafe is not all that good to go to. There is too much echo...v. noise. If you want to go there, get there early in the evening, or else it will be full.

If you asking me about clubbing, I am the wrong person to ask. Do Check out the SMH.com.au for a night out.

Just remembered shops do close v. early, as early as 5pm. Thursday late night shopping closed at aroung 9pm.

Hi el,
The Sydney pass is ok, it all depends on where you are going and how often you will use it. Just ask. A return train ticket is much cheaper than one way ticket. If you are traveling on the train, avoid getting on the train btw 8 to 9am. It is pack with ppl. Train ticket is cheaper if you traveling during the off peak hours.

sakurasan

Hi el

I bot the Sydney Explorer Pass when I was there on my honeymoon last year. It's not exactly worth it coz walked alot but it's quite convenient for us as we enjoyed popping up and down the bus and taking the ferry whenever we felt like it. I din bother with the train tho.

E

el

hi sakurasan, is it the same as the Sydney pass?
it costs $90 for 3 days...which is quite ex.
so i was wondering if its better if i juz buy the train/bus ticket whenever i need it coz i tink i wld walk alot too. ;p
i will be goin in june.

totoro

Hi el,

me also going In june.

any good food there??as in which restuaant or cafr or what kind of food that we shouldnt give it a miss?

what should we get for friends huh? they have night shopping or not?

gwnn

Hi,
we bot the 3 day sydney explorer pass when we were there in june last year. it's quite good for first-timers. while we walked a fair bit around the rocks, george street, oxford street, main city area etc. the sydney explorer bus does two very good routes which will be too long to walk. one route will take you all the way to bondi beach, passing by some very good points where you may want to drop off and check out before hopping back on again, including a very good vantage point of the harbour bridge with sydney central as a backdrop. the other takes you round the city, including a drop off at the famous woolomoolo pie stand. check out the routes before you buy the pass. we did one route each day.

totoro

heehee...a bit paisey but is there a victoria secret in sydney???

besides the dim sum any where else..

i got quite blur liao. if i have got 4 days in sydney , how to plan the route huh..

My FH wanna to go back to his uni which is NSW, then how to go abt for the 4 days...

any idea...

paisey ah, cos never been there before and though my FH suppose to plan this trip but it seems that his idea is to decide upon reaching there.
better to have a back up plan..

do not intend to quarrel with him during our honeymoon...heehee

sakurasan

Must go eat seafood dinner along Darling Harbour...and shop at Oxford Street - they've got very nice boutiques. And must visit Manly!

I think the Sydney Pass is most useful for taking ferries at Circular Quay - I simply loved the ferry rides. I heard tat Paramatta has got good shopping.

kpo

if i remember correctly..marigold is in chinatown, near haymarket..on george street

for art performances and arty farty movie..check out valhala @ glebe. i love sydney...so many interesting places to visit..things/people to see.

M

may day

Hi Totoro,

If your FH studied in Sydney then he will have some idea.

It is v. hard to give you idea, it all depend on where you are staying.If you are staying within CDB then you can walk to lot of places.

Day 1.( Sat)

Start from Chinatown.
1. Visit Paddymarket and buy all the gifts for the office and friend (Kangaroo key ring etc). Paddy is the cheaper. If you want to buy Nought, get it from Dixon House. The shop opp. the film developer (ground floor), sell the cheapist nougat in Chinatown.
2. Go to Kam Fook (above paddymarket) for Dim Sim, go there before 11am or else v. long waiting list. Espirt is there...much sheaper then Singapore.
After Chinatown, you can walk down to Townhall, faster to walk then take a train. Only take 5 to 6 mins.

Townhall.
1. Visit Queen Victoria Building. From here you can go to Grace Bros, David Jones and various department stores/ shops. Lot of shopping! (Birkenhead Point is cheaper).
2. Center Point. If you like you can go up and take a aerial view of Sydney.

Depending how long you are going to shop. You can go to Darling Harbour and have dinner (Seafood). or if you still have time you can go down to Circular Quay (you can walk or take a bus). Bus is faster and easy on your feet by now.

Circular Quay:
1. Rock Market.
2. Opera House
3. Cafe/Pub.

Day 2. (Sun)

Manly/Bondi: By Ferry or Bus (from Central station or townhall)
1. Take a nice walk around.
2. Have brunch/lunch- fish and chip

UNSW: You can take a bus from Bondi to UNSW.

From UNSW, you can take a bus to central or to Townhall and do some more shopping.

Then you can go to Newton or Crow Nest for dinner.

Day 3.

Go to Blue Mountain if you like. If you don't you can spend more time doing shopping and go to Birkenhead point. (I take it that you like shopping).

Or you can go to Fox Studio. Not as much fun as Movie World, however there is few interesting things to do. You can walk in without paying money. You can have a look and see if you like it.

Day 4.
Going home.

Here is some idea. There is a lot more to do.
Have Fun.

totoro

Hi May day, thanks a million..

we will be spending 4 days in syndey and 3 days in blue mountains..

will definitley take into considerations for all these...

do they have Warner Bros or disneyland or somekind in Syndey?? paisey ah.

sep03

hi gals..me thinking of doing a day trip to blue mountains...any idea i can do it F&E without joining a day tour grp?...

sakurasan

Hi Sep03

Blue Mountains is really boring...I made a mistake with the agency that I booked with. It was one of those hiking agencies (I got the name from a recommendation in the forum) and the guide made us hike for more than 2 hours up and down. The hike was really tough coz the terrain was darn steep and the worse part was that we were not given any indication that it was gng to be so siong...the worse of it all was that there was no scenery to view and the waterfall was a mere trickle...my butt and legs hurt so badly for 3 days after the hike!! And it was my honeymoon...grrrrrrr...I wld say not to bother abt Blue Mountains.

M

may day

Hi Totoro,

There is the Australian Wonderland, you can spend 1 day there. Only open on the weekends or public holiday. The usual fun park things to do.
Rollor coaster etc.

The Fox Studio. Just go an dhave a look, don't have to pay to get in as I have said before.

sep03

hi sakurasan,

thanks for the info...aeh...thot there is a place called "scenic world"..where u can take some cable car or train or something?....

M

may day

Hi Sep03,

At Scenic world, there are three rides.
1. Cable car going from one side to another side (across).
2. A train like cart goes along an old mining track. alomost 90 degree drop. In the beginning of the ride, you are sitting down, as you go down, you end up standing.
3. Cable car that go up and down.
Can finished all these ride within 45 mins or less, all depends if you want to go for walk.

sep03

hi May day...

in your opinion...is it worth my time to make a trip there jus to try these "vehicles"?..;-D

thanks!

A

ay day

Hi Sep03,
It depends on what you want to do. You definitely get to see landscape...tree, mountian. It only take about 3-4 hours to drive. Some pple do find it boring, other enjoys it.

totoro

Hi all,

is there place to shop in Blue mountains? i mean whats there on the mountain, spending 3 days 2 nights there...

what's interesting there???besides the mountains??heehee

tigerlily

hi totoro,

the idea of staying in the blue mountains is not to shop. it is to retreat from the city, rest, relax & enjoy the beautiful nature that you cannot find here.

normally what people do is that they drive to blue mountains, stay the night. the next day, they go walking in the mountains. there are many many different walks that are available. along the way experience nature, see the native animals. stay in blue mountains for the night, then drive back to the city.

M

may day

Hi Totoro,

If you go to Blue Mountain and stay at nice bed and breakfast place, it can be romantic. If you go in winter time, you get a fire place.

If you don't like Blue Mountain, you may consider going to Hunter Valley- lot of wine tasting and good food.

E

el

anyone been to port stephens on your own?
what are the must try activities for those who have went there?

Hi el,

one activity that must try - sand boarding.

Other activities that you can consider is doplhin watching, 4dw on sand dunes.

However, if you are hoping for clear blue sea, the beach at Port stephen is not that fanastic.

E

el

thanks for the info.
has any1 tried goin there yorself?
which transport is faster? train? bus?

sorry totoro, have what in June - Dolphin watching or Sand boarding? I think the dolphin watching season last till October. For sand boarding, the sand is always there - Port Stephen is has the largest costal sand in the entire Australia.

Didn't see any branded beach wear, Port Stephen is actually a very small town. But it does have some stores carrying their in-house beach wear. I stay in Landmark Service Apartment - 2 nights for AUS 290.

I was there in the 1st of week of April. I drove to POrt Stephen from Sydney, which took me about 4 hours. If you are not driving, you can sign up with some local tours.

You may want to consider Hunter Valley. There are several beautiful, country like accomodations with nice cool weather.

E

el

hi, any1 knows if i need an adaptor in order to charge my handphone in australia?

J

jen12

Hi el/totoro,

So did u all enjoy yr trip to Sydney in June??Me have been to brisbane and mel bt not sydney yet so wil be my 1st time..In fact, i m taking up the DBS land package at $438 per pax..wil be staying in Sydney for 1 wk..

Care to share with me some info??me really clueless except to pick up here n there fr the forum in SB..

Aussiechick, yr post was very informative..me wil be driving up to blue mountains and port stephen..do u think is better to rent the car for the entire wk or just only when we are going to blue moutains n Port stephen??cos wat i understand from here is better to roam ard by walking..

Ladies, a few qns from me:

1)is the seafood there cheap?
2)any1 can share more info on blue mountains n port stephen?
3)pls pardon bt may i ask wat is Nought?

Sorry for the lengthy post..

kpo

dear el,

yes..u need a special adaptor for electrical appliances in australia. it's not difficult to purchase one from there...some hotels can provide you with one too.

natash

Hi jen12,

Basically food is not cheap in Sydney at all, but you can get nice seafood platters in the Fish Market at Pyrmont...It is cheaper than in the restaurants....The fish market would be rather packed over the weekends but try to go in the morning cux the seafood is fresher....

Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Port Stephens are the more popular coastals. If you go during winter time, you see dolphins swimming in the water in the early morning at about 7-8am in the morning....

Basically its more of a weekend rest and relax type when you laze and look at the sea...reading a book thingy...There isn't pretty much you can do there except golfing, cycling etc....

Bluemountains , you don't even have to stay there cux you can make it a day trip kind thing if you are driving in Sydney for tourists....There are only mountains and more mountains...basically there's story about the 3 sisters legend...There will be a small mini cinima that shows you legend etc...then oyu can take the cable ride to have a better view of the stone etc...There is also a national park but some parts of it are closed...
Don;t be surpised to see Aussie bbq in the day ahaha...They only BBq inthe daytime..

Nough is a kind of candy etc, Wrapper is maroon in colour, milky like with nuts. YOu can get it in Paddy's market on Sat or Sunday morning...YOu see the vendors selling all kinds of nuts and stuff, and you will see nough there....

Proceed to that , can go Market City for Yum Cha...biggest yum cha restuarant in Sydney...you can shop Hong Koing fashion there...In the Food court got one stall called MC Laksa if you miss Singapore food ekeke....

If you miss the market on the weekend, you can get it from the shops selling souvenirs in Chinatown...costs about $23-$28 dollars...per packet...

Renting a car is cheaper there than in Singapore, so if have the time, buy a map and enjoy your drive...you can rent for the weekend and the rest of teh day, you don need much of the car cux in the city of Sydney, parking is very expensive in the shopping centres...

You can walked and enjoy the different culture...Sit at the cafe and enjoy your tea or coffee, do some window shopping..at Paddinton, surf wear like quick silver etc......

But Don't try to wander too late in the King's Cross k...alone . Keep to the main street...There are junkies in the back alleys..so to avoid being mugged, keep to the main streets.

Like what Aussie chick says there are tonns to do in sydney, You can walked "The Rocks" climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or if you are adventurous enough, you can go to the little suburbs like Leichardt "Little Italy" where alot of italians stay there so the italian food is superp, the coffee hmmm...

Newtown, all the kinky stuff...also food alleys...cafes...take a walk if you are free....Alot of uni students stay there too keke...

Hope the info helps...

Cheers
Nas

starrie

Hi there,

i wll be going to melbourne and sydney during late december. We have booked a tour package but intend to extend our stay in sydney. Can anyone advise me on accomodation? we do not intend to stay in the hotel that we stayed for the package tour. we would like to find cheaper hotel. Maybe ard AUS120?

starrie

Hi Orchid,

ive also checked from internet and the hotel rates quoted are definitely better than from agency.

The problem now is, i duno which part of sydney shd i stay? I want to find a hotel thats accessible and cheap(ard S$150). One that is wont take long to reach attractions/shopping areas.

anyone here stayed in any particular hotel thats strongly recommended?

erowen

Hi Star
i will recommend Capitol Sq hotel, right in the heart of haymarket and besides chinatown. It's walking distance from Central Railway. and the best thing is, the 24 hr lightrail is right at the hotel doorstep. very convenient.
we paid $110AUD