Support group - Divorce

sad

My bf & I are planning to have our custom married in Jan'2002 and ROM in Dec'2001. However, I'm currently filling for a divorce.

My lawyer told me a date of hearing will be given on the 6th weeks of the filling and the divorce will only made absolute after 3-4 months after the hearing.

This is the 4th weeks of the filling. We afaid the divorce cannot made absolute before our planned ROM date. What should we do?

sad

My bf & I are planning to have our custom married in Jan'2002 and ROM in Dec'2001. However, I'm currently filling for a divorce.

My lawyer told me a date of hearing will be given on the 6th weeks of the filling and the divorce will only made absolute after 3-4 months after the hearing.

This is the 4th weeks of the filling. We afaid the divorce cannot made absolute before our planned ROM date. What should we do?

A

astounded

Why are you planning to get married even before you are formally and legally divorced? I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but that is an irrespponsible thing to do. What to do? Don't get married this Dec lor! Anyway, you haven't applied for ROM yet what, so what is there to worry about? Plan your second marriage only after your divorce is final!

Good grief, I just realised that you have planned for your marriage /redbefore you even filed for divorce!

A

astounded

Why are you planning to get married even before you are formally and legally divorced? I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but that is an irrespponsible thing to do. What to do? Don't get married this Dec lor! Anyway, you haven't applied for ROM yet what, so what is there to worry about? Plan your second marriage only after your divorce is final!

Good grief, I just realised that you have planned for your marriage /redbefore you even filed for divorce!

W

wah!

iyo. That is cutting it close! You could just go ahead with your plans, after all, the maximum is 4 mths after filing (before it is made final), right? So that would make it November, so that should be fine. At the most, you'll still be married to your 1st husband when you marry your 2nd, and will be arrested for bigamy. But I guess that is the price you have to pay for 1) having an affair, 2)not having enough sense to calculate properly.

You have no sympathy from me.

W

wah!

iyo. That is cutting it close! You could just go ahead with your plans, after all, the maximum is 4 mths after filing (before it is made final), right? So that would make it November, so that should be fine. At the most, you'll still be married to your 1st husband when you marry your 2nd, and will be arrested for bigamy. But I guess that is the price you have to pay for 1) having an affair, 2)not having enough sense to calculate properly.

You have no sympathy from me.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sad,

The best solution is actually to seek advice from your lawyer. Did you tell your lawyer your current plan and schedule? I believe there are some legal complications that you are not aware of. Tell your lawyer the full picture and seek professional advice. However, be prepared to postpone your plans.

Hi Wah!

We do not know anything about Sad's predicament or situation. Please do not pass judgement on someone whom we have not met. Sad had posted her message to seek advice, let's not be so quick to criticise. Please reserve your judgement when her reasons of having the divorce is not even known.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sad,

The best solution is actually to seek advice from your lawyer. Did you tell your lawyer your current plan and schedule? I believe there are some legal complications that you are not aware of. Tell your lawyer the full picture and seek professional advice. However, be prepared to postpone your plans.

Hi Wah!

We do not know anything about Sad's predicament or situation. Please do not pass judgement on someone whom we have not met. Sad had posted her message to seek advice, let's not be so quick to criticise. Please reserve your judgement when her reasons of having the divorce is not even known.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

peanuts

I agree with Chin Leng. Wah, shouldn't have made such comments. A lot of times, things happen and it might not be anyone's fault. You are not in Sad's position and you have no right to critise her at all.

Sad, like what Chin Leng said, do check with your lawyer if it can be worked out. Wish you all the best and a blissful marriage this time round. I'm sure after a unsuccessful marriage you would know what you want best and treasure it very well this time round. My sincere wishes.
happy.gif

peanuts

I agree with Chin Leng. Wah, shouldn't have made such comments. A lot of times, things happen and it might not be anyone's fault. You are not in Sad's position and you have no right to critise her at all.

Sad, like what Chin Leng said, do check with your lawyer if it can be worked out. Wish you all the best and a blissful marriage this time round. I'm sure after a unsuccessful marriage you would know what you want best and treasure it very well this time round. My sincere wishes.
happy.gif

W

wah!

ok, what CL and Peanuts say is true. I do not know her predicament, and should not be so quick to judge. But I also agree with astounded - she should not plan her second marriage when her divorce is not even final! What if her husband refuses to grant her a divorce, then how? That is basically the same question she asked earlier - and the answer is still the same - postpone her marriage. I think that this is a common sense solution. I was being sacastic when I mentioned the bigamy thing. What else can she do but postpone the wedding for goodness sake! she still should not have gotten herslf in this situation in the first place by getting her divorce final before she thinks of getting married again, much less planning her second wedding.

I am sorry her first marriage did not work out. That is not something I wish on anyone. Like you both said, I do not know the situation, so she has my sympathies on that. But as for her current situation, she does not have my sympathies because she got herself into it by making a stupid decidion.

W

wah!

ok, what CL and Peanuts say is true. I do not know her predicament, and should not be so quick to judge. But I also agree with astounded - she should not plan her second marriage when her divorce is not even final! What if her husband refuses to grant her a divorce, then how? That is basically the same question she asked earlier - and the answer is still the same - postpone her marriage. I think that this is a common sense solution. I was being sacastic when I mentioned the bigamy thing. What else can she do but postpone the wedding for goodness sake! she still should not have gotten herslf in this situation in the first place by getting her divorce final before she thinks of getting married again, much less planning her second wedding.

I am sorry her first marriage did not work out. That is not something I wish on anyone. Like you both said, I do not know the situation, so she has my sympathies on that. But as for her current situation, she does not have my sympathies because she got herself into it by making a stupid decidion.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wah!

Let's not be so quick to judge again. We really do not know Sad's situation. Only through her posting, that I learn that hearing will only be granted on the 6th week of filing and divorce will only be made absolute 3-4 months after the hearing. Prior to this, I have absolutely no idea on the divorce procedure, do you? Yes, it may seem like postponing the plans is a common sense decision but that does not mean Sad cannot seek advice from the forum for alternative solution, if any.

Even if you do not have sympathy, it does not help her by adding pain to her current sorrow.

To err is to be human.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wah!

Let's not be so quick to judge again. We really do not know Sad's situation. Only through her posting, that I learn that hearing will only be granted on the 6th week of filing and divorce will only be made absolute 3-4 months after the hearing. Prior to this, I have absolutely no idea on the divorce procedure, do you? Yes, it may seem like postponing the plans is a common sense decision but that does not mean Sad cannot seek advice from the forum for alternative solution, if any.

Even if you do not have sympathy, it does not help her by adding pain to her current sorrow.

To err is to be human.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

jojo

Hmm... I think this is not a time for all of us to argue over who should and who shouldn't criticise. Sad could really be someone in distress who needs adivice most now. Why can't we remain objective and think of the legal advices to give to her?

Harsh statements and opinions will only make the matter worse.

Sad...do consult your lawyer and see what the legal implications are...I have heard that the Registry of Marriages has the right to disapprove of your application on such grounds...try not to rush into things yet...get the legal aspects cleared first...I am sure you will be able to work things out in a uncomplicated manner. Meanwhile, all the best.
happy.gif

JoJo

jojo

Hmm... I think this is not a time for all of us to argue over who should and who shouldn't criticise. Sad could really be someone in distress who needs adivice most now. Why can't we remain objective and think of the legal advices to give to her?

Harsh statements and opinions will only make the matter worse.

Sad...do consult your lawyer and see what the legal implications are...I have heard that the Registry of Marriages has the right to disapprove of your application on such grounds...try not to rush into things yet...get the legal aspects cleared first...I am sure you will be able to work things out in a uncomplicated manner. Meanwhile, all the best.
happy.gif

JoJo

W

wah!

ChinLeng,

I am not sure what exactly you mean by
"Only through her posting, that I learn that hearing will only be granted on the 6th week of filing and divorce will only be made absolute 3-4 months after the hearing. Prior to this, I have absolutely no idea on the divorce procedure, do you?"

if you mean that you did not know the procedures of divorce before sad mentioned it, (and you are right, I did not either), and therefore it is reasonable that sad did not either, but neither of us, I hope, are in the same situation. All I am trying to say is that if someone is in a relationship and intends to get married, but is already legally married to someone else, surely that is the 1st thing to settle - the divorce (and should therefore be aware of divorce procedings), rather than marriage plans. That is the sensible thing to do.

You are right. I should have been less harsh. I had a shitty day, but I guess that is not an excuse. But I still stand by my opinion that she created this situation for herself by not being very sensible in the first place.

In my job, I see a lot of divorce cases, and you'd be surprised at how many people get themselves in similar situations as sad is in now, because they do not think of the consequences until it is too late.

I am not trying to add pain to her situation, although I know that you all think that I am. I just think that sometimes, sympathy does not help, because some people (in general, not talking about sad particularly) want sympathy all the time, but do not see that what they have done is wrong, and do not take responsibility for their actions, and when they find themselves in a fix, they expect others to help them find a way out, but never once stop to think of how they got themselves in such a situation, choosing to blame others and life in general. I just think that it might help society in general if people are given a good talking to - even if it may be unpleasant, so that they realise the what they are doing, and take responsibility for it.

I don't think she has a choice, anyway, as JoJo says, ROM will probably reject her application when she applies anyway, since she will still be married at the time of her application to be married in Dec 2001.

"For Divorcee : Original or certified true copy of the Decree Nisi Absolute will also be required. " - from the ROM website.

This is just something I feel strongly about. I had thought that this was a place I could voice my opinion, but I guess not. Not even after I acknowledge that I should have been kinder in how I said it, my opinion is viewed to be a judgement. When it is said that "Wah, shouldn't have made such comments." is that not a judgement as well? How come I am not allowed to judge others, but it is fine for you to judge me?

Sad, I have thought this through, and like the others, the only thing constructive I can advice (let it not be said that I only criticise but do not offer help) is to talk to your lawyer. The only other thing I can think of is to hold your ROM and your customary on the same day - that should give you more time to play with. And if you hold your solemnisation somewhere else other than ROM itself (with a JP or grassroots leader), you do not have to apply 3 months beforehand - just the minimum 21 days will do, providing you find someone who is available on that date. My advice is to look for a JP / grassroot leader 1st and book them for the day, before you apply for a notice of marriage at ROM.

However, I still urge you to think carefully about what you are doing, now and in the future.

Good Luck.

To the rest,
I apologise for that way I said things, but do not apologise what I have to say.

I guess you all prefer that everyone be supportive rather than give honest, heartfelt opinions that might be unpleasant, but might be more constructive in the longrun. That being the case, I don't think I am the right person to be a part of this community, nor that this is the right community for me.

Good bye.

W

wah!

ChinLeng,

I am not sure what exactly you mean by
"Only through her posting, that I learn that hearing will only be granted on the 6th week of filing and divorce will only be made absolute 3-4 months after the hearing. Prior to this, I have absolutely no idea on the divorce procedure, do you?"

if you mean that you did not know the procedures of divorce before sad mentioned it, (and you are right, I did not either), and therefore it is reasonable that sad did not either, but neither of us, I hope, are in the same situation. All I am trying to say is that if someone is in a relationship and intends to get married, but is already legally married to someone else, surely that is the 1st thing to settle - the divorce (and should therefore be aware of divorce procedings), rather than marriage plans. That is the sensible thing to do.

You are right. I should have been less harsh. I had a shitty day, but I guess that is not an excuse. But I still stand by my opinion that she created this situation for herself by not being very sensible in the first place.

In my job, I see a lot of divorce cases, and you'd be surprised at how many people get themselves in similar situations as sad is in now, because they do not think of the consequences until it is too late.

I am not trying to add pain to her situation, although I know that you all think that I am. I just think that sometimes, sympathy does not help, because some people (in general, not talking about sad particularly) want sympathy all the time, but do not see that what they have done is wrong, and do not take responsibility for their actions, and when they find themselves in a fix, they expect others to help them find a way out, but never once stop to think of how they got themselves in such a situation, choosing to blame others and life in general. I just think that it might help society in general if people are given a good talking to - even if it may be unpleasant, so that they realise the what they are doing, and take responsibility for it.

I don't think she has a choice, anyway, as JoJo says, ROM will probably reject her application when she applies anyway, since she will still be married at the time of her application to be married in Dec 2001.

"For Divorcee : Original or certified true copy of the Decree Nisi Absolute will also be required. " - from the ROM website.

This is just something I feel strongly about. I had thought that this was a place I could voice my opinion, but I guess not. Not even after I acknowledge that I should have been kinder in how I said it, my opinion is viewed to be a judgement. When it is said that "Wah, shouldn't have made such comments." is that not a judgement as well? How come I am not allowed to judge others, but it is fine for you to judge me?

Sad, I have thought this through, and like the others, the only thing constructive I can advice (let it not be said that I only criticise but do not offer help) is to talk to your lawyer. The only other thing I can think of is to hold your ROM and your customary on the same day - that should give you more time to play with. And if you hold your solemnisation somewhere else other than ROM itself (with a JP or grassroots leader), you do not have to apply 3 months beforehand - just the minimum 21 days will do, providing you find someone who is available on that date. My advice is to look for a JP / grassroot leader 1st and book them for the day, before you apply for a notice of marriage at ROM.

However, I still urge you to think carefully about what you are doing, now and in the future.

Good Luck.

To the rest,
I apologise for that way I said things, but do not apologise what I have to say.

I guess you all prefer that everyone be supportive rather than give honest, heartfelt opinions that might be unpleasant, but might be more constructive in the longrun. That being the case, I don't think I am the right person to be a part of this community, nor that this is the right community for me.

Good bye.

P

passer-by

I feel dat both Chin Leng & Wah have their own rights of view. Maybe Wah has seen too much of these divorce cases & does has her own reasoning from the cases she has handled, i personally felt that she is couragous to voice out her opinion & indeed in this society, they are couples who do not treat marriages as faithfully...but as long as one knows to take responsibility in her acts, we as outsiders just have to let it go. Life is an experience, both good & bad..we will all learn through this & be a better person in future. But i sincerely hope we will all strive to love & care for each other..& most importantly, to remain faithful, trustworthy & responsible to our partner & make life more meaningful to have come so far..

P

passer-by

I feel dat both Chin Leng & Wah have their own rights of view. Maybe Wah has seen too much of these divorce cases & does has her own reasoning from the cases she has handled, i personally felt that she is couragous to voice out her opinion & indeed in this society, they are couples who do not treat marriages as faithfully...but as long as one knows to take responsibility in her acts, we as outsiders just have to let it go. Life is an experience, both good & bad..we will all learn through this & be a better person in future. But i sincerely hope we will all strive to love & care for each other..& most importantly, to remain faithful, trustworthy & responsible to our partner & make life more meaningful to have come so far..

katie

hi,

kinda feel tat this forum readily accept good comments. When it comes to negatives comments, everybody becomes defensive with hands holding on to their swords, ready to fight.

katie

hi,

kinda feel tat this forum readily accept good comments. When it comes to negatives comments, everybody becomes defensive with hands holding on to their swords, ready to fight.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wah!,

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't judging you. I apologise if I have inadvertently gave you that impression.

All views are welcome and that is why the forum is created, so that many diverse opinions can be shared. Unpleasant opinions that are honest and heartfelt are welcome too but I feel that unpleasant comments need not necessarily be delivered in a harsh manner.

I am sorry if I have sounded too harsh as well.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wah!,

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't judging you. I apologise if I have inadvertently gave you that impression.

All views are welcome and that is why the forum is created, so that many diverse opinions can be shared. Unpleasant opinions that are honest and heartfelt are welcome too but I feel that unpleasant comments need not necessarily be delivered in a harsh manner.

I am sorry if I have sounded too harsh as well.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

linda

I think Wah! made a very swift judgement and very insensitive tone that had belittle Sad. It is true that everyone can truely comment on topics but definately not on the expense on others. Sad DID not promote divorce here.

From the little that I know, divorce cases cannot be immediate unless both parties agree to it. If not, it will take 3 years for the divorce to be valid. 3 years!!! How many 3 years does a woman have? Yes, she might have chosen a wrong husband but is it her fault? We don't know. We can't say she is having a affair cos we don't know too.

Yes, I agree that people do make a joke out of marriage nowadays. But we can't say it is true for all divorce cases out there? What if Sad was abused by her ex husband and now that has found someone who really loves her? Would you want to stay in an abusive relationship? What if her ex does not support the family in all senses?

We are here to offer solutions and ides. But not critising. Yes, you can speak freely in this forum but not direct cristism at others. Afterall, do you really know what happen, or did you even bother to ask what happen before you so readily condemn others?

Sad, what Chin Leng says is true. Speak with your lawyer. He is a professional and should know how to answer your question properly.

linda

I think Wah! made a very swift judgement and very insensitive tone that had belittle Sad. It is true that everyone can truely comment on topics but definately not on the expense on others. Sad DID not promote divorce here.

From the little that I know, divorce cases cannot be immediate unless both parties agree to it. If not, it will take 3 years for the divorce to be valid. 3 years!!! How many 3 years does a woman have? Yes, she might have chosen a wrong husband but is it her fault? We don't know. We can't say she is having a affair cos we don't know too.

Yes, I agree that people do make a joke out of marriage nowadays. But we can't say it is true for all divorce cases out there? What if Sad was abused by her ex husband and now that has found someone who really loves her? Would you want to stay in an abusive relationship? What if her ex does not support the family in all senses?

We are here to offer solutions and ides. But not critising. Yes, you can speak freely in this forum but not direct cristism at others. Afterall, do you really know what happen, or did you even bother to ask what happen before you so readily condemn others?

Sad, what Chin Leng says is true. Speak with your lawyer. He is a professional and should know how to answer your question properly.

P

peacenotwar

I don't think Wah! was saying that Sad was promoting divorce. I think what she was saying that it is premature for Sad to think about, and plan for at wedding, and second marriage before her divorce is final. Anyway, she has already apologised for the way she put across her message. Why are you ignoring that fact? She has also explained very clearly the reasons why she has this view. Linda, why are you ignoring that too?

While I feel sorry for Sad and her situation, and wish her all the best, I also think that Wah! has a point as well.

What I get from most of you is that Wah! is in the wrong for having her views - does that mean that it is alright for everyone to plan for a wedding and another marriage before the first marriage is dissolved? (This seems to be the only issue that Wah! has.) Yes, Sad may have been abused. But then, as so many of you are so fond of saying, we do not know her predicament - she may not be.

By the way most of you are attacking Wah!, and defend Sad so whole-heartedly, it would seem that you all condone such behaviour. (There is a difference between supporting Sad and defending her, and it looks like most of you are defending her) Since you all seem to condone Sad's behaviour, I worry for the society and its values.

I feel sorry for Wah! - she was brave and honest enough to voice her (obviously unappreciated and unpopular) opinion, and to apologise for the way she put it, she is still under attack .

P

peacenotwar

I don't think Wah! was saying that Sad was promoting divorce. I think what she was saying that it is premature for Sad to think about, and plan for at wedding, and second marriage before her divorce is final. Anyway, she has already apologised for the way she put across her message. Why are you ignoring that fact? She has also explained very clearly the reasons why she has this view. Linda, why are you ignoring that too?

While I feel sorry for Sad and her situation, and wish her all the best, I also think that Wah! has a point as well.

What I get from most of you is that Wah! is in the wrong for having her views - does that mean that it is alright for everyone to plan for a wedding and another marriage before the first marriage is dissolved? (This seems to be the only issue that Wah! has.) Yes, Sad may have been abused. But then, as so many of you are so fond of saying, we do not know her predicament - she may not be.

By the way most of you are attacking Wah!, and defend Sad so whole-heartedly, it would seem that you all condone such behaviour. (There is a difference between supporting Sad and defending her, and it looks like most of you are defending her) Since you all seem to condone Sad's behaviour, I worry for the society and its values.

I feel sorry for Wah! - she was brave and honest enough to voice her (obviously unappreciated and unpopular) opinion, and to apologise for the way she put it, she is still under attack .

P

peace_not_war

By the way, Linda, since Sad is still married to that man, he is officially not her 'ex', as you mentioned, but her current husband. He does not become her 'ex' until the divorce is final.

Also, about whether or not she had an affair, I think the official answer is yes. If she has a relationship with someone else while she is still married (even separated is married), that is legally classified as an affair.

I am not trying to attack Sad here, just Linda's argument and attack on Wah!

(I feel the that she deserves to have someone defend her argument as well)

P

peace_not_war

By the way, Linda, since Sad is still married to that man, he is officially not her 'ex', as you mentioned, but her current husband. He does not become her 'ex' until the divorce is final.

Also, about whether or not she had an affair, I think the official answer is yes. If she has a relationship with someone else while she is still married (even separated is married), that is legally classified as an affair.

I am not trying to attack Sad here, just Linda's argument and attack on Wah!

(I feel the that she deserves to have someone defend her argument as well)

linda

An attack is done when 1) Someone calls someone else stupid. 2) Belittling someone.

Firstly I did not judge Wah!'s character based on what she said did I? Did I say she 'does not have sense'? I merely said that she was swift in her judgement. That doesn't mean she is abd as a person.

Secondly, like I have said, we are all here to help. And to offer support. Could you imagine someone calling a helpline and getting an answer as "That's the price to pay if..." or "You won't get any sympathy from me"?
We won't know who is right or wrong. Should we be so swift to pass judgement as to who is right or wrong? Who are we anyway? I am not attacking Wah! What makes you think so? Then should I think your tone you have used was attacking me? Why do you think we are defending Sad? We are just showing pple out there the other side of the coin. Yes. Wah! is correct in her sense and have apologised. But if you said that everyone's honest opinions count, then why should my message be commented on? Afterall, it is MY opinion. I don't go around telling people MUST listen to my opinion. So you see, you like me are human, we think on different wavelengths. You have your own principals and morals and so do I and so do Sad. So choose words carefully cos it can hurt. I think we are all educated people who should learn how to speak and act with grace.

linda

An attack is done when 1) Someone calls someone else stupid. 2) Belittling someone.

Firstly I did not judge Wah!'s character based on what she said did I? Did I say she 'does not have sense'? I merely said that she was swift in her judgement. That doesn't mean she is abd as a person.

Secondly, like I have said, we are all here to help. And to offer support. Could you imagine someone calling a helpline and getting an answer as "That's the price to pay if..." or "You won't get any sympathy from me"?
We won't know who is right or wrong. Should we be so swift to pass judgement as to who is right or wrong? Who are we anyway? I am not attacking Wah! What makes you think so? Then should I think your tone you have used was attacking me? Why do you think we are defending Sad? We are just showing pple out there the other side of the coin. Yes. Wah! is correct in her sense and have apologised. But if you said that everyone's honest opinions count, then why should my message be commented on? Afterall, it is MY opinion. I don't go around telling people MUST listen to my opinion. So you see, you like me are human, we think on different wavelengths. You have your own principals and morals and so do I and so do Sad. So choose words carefully cos it can hurt. I think we are all educated people who should learn how to speak and act with grace.

N

nn

Sorry to tell you this... just to give you an idea what timeline to expect (actually I'm also planning to marry a second time)...
I filed for divorce first week of Jan this year and till this day I still have not obtained my original copy of the Decree Nisi Absolute. But I have a draft shortly after the hearing some time in May. So I guess I'm planning for next year. Good luck!

N

nn

Sorry to tell you this... just to give you an idea what timeline to expect (actually I'm also planning to marry a second time)...
I filed for divorce first week of Jan this year and till this day I still have not obtained my original copy of the Decree Nisi Absolute. But I have a draft shortly after the hearing some time in May. So I guess I'm planning for next year. Good luck!

san

Hi Sad, my experience was I filed a divorce in April 2000. Hearing is in Nov and I got my final paper in May 2001. At first my lawyer also said 6 weeks for filing and 3 months for the absolute , but finally it turned out to be 13 months.....

Wish u a happy marriage !!

san

Hi Sad, my experience was I filed a divorce in April 2000. Hearing is in Nov and I got my final paper in May 2001. At first my lawyer also said 6 weeks for filing and 3 months for the absolute , but finally it turned out to be 13 months.....

Wish u a happy marriage !!

sad

Hi NN & San,

Thks for sharing your experience with me. I filed for a divorce early this June and I'm attending the hearing this week. Hope everything will be fine and the Decree Nisi can be made absolute soon.

Infact my filing have been delayed for 1/2 yr due to unable to get the consent from the other party.
Thks god, he finally sign the consent papers otherwise I will have to wait for the 4th year of seperation inorder to file for a divore.

Wish the 3 of us have a happy marriage.

To those who think it's wrong for us to plan for another marriage b4 the divorce is made final.

From seperation to Decree Nisi Absolute take abt 4 to 5 yrs. If we are able to save our marriage who will want to have a divorce. A divorce is not within our control pls don't give us anymore pressure and don't think that we are having an affair if we planned for a new marriage b4 the divorce is made final.

Nobody is able to tell how long it will take for a divorce to made final not even a lawyer. I was told by my lawyer the hearing date will be 6 weeks from the filing date and it will take 3 months to obtain the original Decree Nisi Absolute but now I know this is not true.

sad

Hi NN & San,

Thks for sharing your experience with me. I filed for a divorce early this June and I'm attending the hearing this week. Hope everything will be fine and the Decree Nisi can be made absolute soon.

Infact my filing have been delayed for 1/2 yr due to unable to get the consent from the other party.
Thks god, he finally sign the consent papers otherwise I will have to wait for the 4th year of seperation inorder to file for a divore.

Wish the 3 of us have a happy marriage.

To those who think it's wrong for us to plan for another marriage b4 the divorce is made final.

From seperation to Decree Nisi Absolute take abt 4 to 5 yrs. If we are able to save our marriage who will want to have a divorce. A divorce is not within our control pls don't give us anymore pressure and don't think that we are having an affair if we planned for a new marriage b4 the divorce is made final.

Nobody is able to tell how long it will take for a divorce to made final not even a lawyer. I was told by my lawyer the hearing date will be 6 weeks from the filing date and it will take 3 months to obtain the original Decree Nisi Absolute but now I know this is not true.

linda

Hi Sad,

Sometimes, people do have a very fixed mind set about marriages and divorces.

I dun know how long my marriage can last, of course everyone wants it to be forever. But who knows?
happy.gif
So it is not anyone's fault. As long as you feel that it is right to and does not betray your conscience, do so.

I wish you all the best in your future.

linda

Hi Sad,

Sometimes, people do have a very fixed mind set about marriages and divorces.

I dun know how long my marriage can last, of course everyone wants it to be forever. But who knows?
happy.gif
So it is not anyone's fault. As long as you feel that it is right to and does not betray your conscience, do so.

I wish you all the best in your future.

sparks

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused, how come some of you can get a divorce in few months time and some need 3-4/5 years for seperation to Decree Nisi Absolute? what is a decree nisi absolute?

and to those who have divorce......i salute you for the courage......so many pp out there have remain married simply cuz of fear!

life is short, enjoy!

sparks

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused, how come some of you can get a divorce in few months time and some need 3-4/5 years for seperation to Decree Nisi Absolute? what is a decree nisi absolute?

and to those who have divorce......i salute you for the courage......so many pp out there have remain married simply cuz of fear!

life is short, enjoy!

D

divorce

I'm considering a divorce. this is a question to be read only by those who have gone through or who are going through divorce proceedings. for those who want to pass judgements on divorce, please stop reading.

During the 4-5 years before divorce is made final, if I were to start a new relationship, can the guy i'm divorcing charge me of adultery? if he can, what are the potential drawbacks for me?

what is the normal period between filing for divorce and separation take effect?

if the other party refuse to sign, would lawyer's fees be still chargeable while i wait for him to sign?

how much does a divorce case usually cost? i have no children yet and my name is not in any form of property shared with my current husband.

lastly, are there any lawyers you can recommend to me?

D

divorce

I'm considering a divorce. this is a question to be read only by those who have gone through or who are going through divorce proceedings. for those who want to pass judgements on divorce, please stop reading.

During the 4-5 years before divorce is made final, if I were to start a new relationship, can the guy i'm divorcing charge me of adultery? if he can, what are the potential drawbacks for me?

what is the normal period between filing for divorce and separation take effect?

if the other party refuse to sign, would lawyer's fees be still chargeable while i wait for him to sign?

how much does a divorce case usually cost? i have no children yet and my name is not in any form of property shared with my current husband.

lastly, are there any lawyers you can recommend to me?