Sort by latest reply

paper

Is it possible to sort the threads in each topic by latest reply, instead of alphabetical order?

In this way, we would know which is the latest post.

Thank you.

oceandeep

hi i second yr idea.
in fact this request has been put forth many times by other users but no improvement has been done so far.

12|24|72

aiyo.. use the 12|24|72 hours function lor... chin leng mentioned this many many times alr... =)

oceandeep

12|24|72 is doesn’t solve the prob at all - this has been mentioned many times before.
we just want to see the latest posts straight away in the forum, instead of taking the additional step of using 12|24|72 & after this step, we still have to search for the thread to check if it contains any new posts. Not a user-friendly interface.
Some of the threads are 2-3 years old and yet they remain on top of the list, simply bcos they start with “A” or a “numeric” etc…this doesn’t make sense at all.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi paper,

Welcome to the SingaporeBrides community! Have you tried using "Last 12|24|72 Hours" available on both the top and bottom navigation bar of the forum?

Try it and let me know if you like it!
kao_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Oceandeep,

Thanks for the feedback. The forum is arranged alphabetically as it is a topics centric forum which will allow wedding couples preparing their wedding to find the relevant topics of interest. Alphabetically arranged forum also has the advantage of allowing our users locating their topics of interest even though the topics may not be in the current active list.

Arranging topics in chronological order will make searching for a particular topic difficult as the position of the topic keeps changing as it is affected by the activity of all other topics within the same category. If the forum is a current affairs discussion forum, I would totally agree to arranging the topics in chronological order.

If the forum is arranged chronologically, a normal user would usually start a new topic (which may be a repated topic) if the topic is not within, say, top 20 position of the category.

If we were to change all topics in all categories to be arranged chronologically, we would be inconveniencing a large group of users as well.

We understand that there is no perfect system. It is difficult to meet the requirements of all members of SingaporeBrides community. However, we hope that the current arrangement of the forum best meets the majority members of the community.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

oceandeep

Hi Chin Leng,

Thanks for yr explanation.

Alphabetically arranged forum doesnt mean users will not start the same topic as the naming convention may be different for different users. Let's say a topic on "Ang bao". A user may named it as "Ang bao", another "How much Ang bao to give". The former goes rite to the top, whereas the later is stacked somewhere in the middle, though they are on the same topic.

As the naming convention is different, an alphabetical arrangement thus become redundant. A user will not find all "Ang Baos" topics rite at the top. He/She still has to do a "Search" on the topics. A "Search" function is more relevant in locating topics of interest than an alphabetically arranged forum.

And let's say a user start a new topic which starts with "T". The thread will be stacked near the bottom and thus likely to be overlooked by many users. A 12|24|72 may help in some extent, but there are many users who don't do a 12|24|72 search. An alphabetically arrangement is penalising users who start threads with a "later" alphabet.

There are many users who just want to know the latest postings as these posts are more current & relevant. I hope the interests of such users are not overlooked.

At best, let users have the flexibility of arranging the threads. For example, when we click on Timestamp, it will arrange the topics based on the dates. When we click on Topics, it will arrange them in an alphabetical order.

fcukme

Hi Chin Leng,

Is it possible to delete all the really old threads like those in 2001-03? So that maybe the forum won't be so massive and time consuming to look thru when wana find some topic?

Tks!

paper

Chin Leng,

Thank you for your reply. The reason to arrange the topics in the order based on Latest reply, is so that we can see which are the hottest or latest topic in that forum. although 12/24/72 may help in some extent, but I normally will not use that.

And one problem with alphapetic order, some threads are over look just becos they are not named properly.

For example, this thread I created.. I put * in front of my topic... thus this thread is at the top of the list.

Hope you can understand.

Thank you!! =)

ccteott

Hi Chin Leng,

I have to agree with fyke, it would be nice to remove all the really old threads like those in 2001-03 coz no one has posted in them for the past two years and it really lengthens the listing in each topic.

Thanks
happy.gif

oceandeep

other than removing * fr the title, any response fr the moderator? hope the issue is not swept under the carpet - again.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Oceandeep and Paper,

We really appreciate your feedback. Please be assured that we would try to cater to all our users' need and requirements.

We think that many members of the SingaporeBrides community who had participated in the forum through the years may be more accustomed to our current arrangement. As such, we may not wish to introduce drastic changes as we hope not to inconvenience users who are already accustomed to our current organisation style of the forum.

The topics are arranged in alphabetical order as we did not want to duplicate the function of check new message function which returns the current list of active topics in the last 12, 24 and 72 hours respectively.

Topics arranging in alphabetical order has the advantage of allowing users being able to locate their favourite thread even though it may have been inactive for some time.

We would usually remove characters used in the subject heading when we notice them. This is to prevent the abuse of the alphabetical ordering system used for the forum.

I would also like to apologise that there may be occasions that I may not be able respond to queries as soon as possible. This is likely due to the urgent requirements of my other responsibilities in maintaining SingaporeBrides and now, SingaporeMotherhood too.

We are working towards resolving this problem. We would like to thank all for the understanding and patience.

kao_clap.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Fyke and Tintin,

We actually remove topics more that 2 years old regularly in categories like "Anything Under The Sun", "Beauty, Health and Fitness" and "Home and Deco".

There would still be topics from 2003 as currently it is July 2005. So you would still see topics from August 2003 and onwards as they are less than 2 years old.

However, in categories whereby there are lesser topics, they would be removed on a slightly less regular basis.

Certain topics which we think that in our opinion, is still relevant even though it has been inactive for more than 2 years, we'll actually keep them for a longer period.

If we have missed out any categories, please feel free to contact us and we'll take appropriate actions soonest.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

snoozy

Hi Chin Leng,

Ermm.. brand new year.. i guess forum need to have a new look.. can you arrange the thread based on latest reply. Thanks

threasher

I noticed that in the Matters of the Heart forum, the threads are sorted by Last Post. But for other forums, the threads are all randomly sorted. Why is that so?

ekardo

I think that there's loop hole in sorting by Alphabet, new posting with "#" or other symbol all got sorted to the top...

Please allow sorting to be done according to user preference?

I do not like to read the topics, copy the shop info, and found that what I was reading, was from 2005, shop already closed down etc...

ambellic

Chin Leng makes sense from the perspective that many season users are accustomed to these settings. oceandeep & paper also make sense that it is easier to locate hot topics and latest reply.

seriously for a new user like me, its really unfriendly to click on the threads starting with '*' or 'A', read thru the many posts and then realised that it was closed in 2005, 2006, after spending like 5 to 10mins. so i do really appreciate where oceandeep and paper are coming from.

so why not introduce a function that allow users to sort by the category that they like. on default it is sorted according to posting alphabetic. but users are allow to click on the titles (Thread, Last Poster, Posts, Last Post) to sort in desc or asec order. This is a very common function in almost all forums. so why not introduce it and allow the users to choose, thus making everyone happy.