Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel

fennie

Anyone have any experience with Marriott Hotel? Any comments on their food, service and condition of ball room ie. high ceiling, pillar?

ixwong

Heard that their food is so-so, and service is lousy.

My fiance went to his colleague's wedding dinner at Marriott last year. The waiter at their table was obviously a part-timer student...according to him, "hand-shaking while holding the plate", "bad serving" ...worse of all, spill some dish sauce on one of the guests.

When the groom asked for feedback after the wedding, all he got are negative ones....

M

mrs lee

my hubby went there for a dinner recently (I was busy) - he said that the food was quite bad

angie

Hi All,

I am quite surprised by the negative comments abt Marriot coz I went there for my fren's wedding last Dec and was quite impressed. perhaps, there have been a change in the catering staff.

kpo

Just went to Marriot for a wedding dinner a couple of weeks ago...I would say the ballroom and deco is nice...the service and food is so-so only.

biscuit

I didn't like the layout of the place. The foyer (area outside ballrm where guests have their pre-dinner cocktails) was dark and small. The entire feel of the place was not good and hence my fiance and I immediately ruled it out.

tab00

Don't opt for its vegetarian shark fin even if u wanna save the sharks (or ur pockets??)! My hubby said it tasted horrible when he went to his friends' wedding dinner on 2 Feb 2001. Replace with some other dishes instead.

He went for another dinner last week & this time ard there was real shark fin & the other dishes are much better (think it was a more expensive package). However, the shark fin was v fishy & tasteless. In the end, he had to add light soya sauce to it.

E

evelynlukie

Oh dear
sad.gif
.... All along me and my hubby-to-be had thot that Marriott Hotel is quite impressive ...but we have not gone down to take a look at their ballroom yet .... we'll be going down on Sat ... so far the only info I have is the wedding package which the catering sales staff had sent me ... i thot the package looks interesting ..... rather well 'packaged' ... :p

mimi

Hi

I heard the food is not very nice either.I think the package price is quite close to hilton hotel. heard that hilton is better than marriot. check it out. hope this helps

angelia

hi,
I attended my friend's wedding at marriot in apr. I found the decoration quite nice, and cheery, with the sunflowers. The food is actually quite nice. However, I found the price quite steep. Maybe they improved, after all the complaints.

E

evelynlukie

I definitely hope they will continue to improve .. !! Well if we really book that hotel for our wedding next year ... then Marriott will have 1 year to continue improving ... hehehe ..... :p Anyway we're going down tommorrow ... so see how lor .... By the way ...heard from the sales people that the they will be renovating the ballroom ..so yippee ... !! :eek:)

C

clph1

HI
I just attended a wedding dinner at Marriott 2 wks back... it was a Monday nite. The service was fine, changed the plates regularly, and waitress served us individually, so that we didn't have to DIY. Foodwise was so-so, but the sharksfin was said to be tasteless... didn't eat it cos I am doing the boycott thing
happy.gif
The decor was fine, no gripes really. Hope this helps.

trihok

have just attended my friend wedding dnr lat marriott on 2/6/01. Food is lousy and as what clph1 say, there serve all the dishes individually. me and my hubby dun quite like it, we still prefer certain dishes if can DIY will be better.

just my point of veiw
happy.gif

stressed

hmm... i have actually just booked marriott for my wedding next year..
hopefully they will continue to improve..
the renovation will start in july and end in sept.
stressed...

andy

I have booked with Marriott too. How much did you pay for your table? Did you get any freebies like extra nite stay? As my dinner is on next March so my table price is still based on 2001 package. Quite worth it. As for food wise, I think it is very subjective. I have friends who attended this March and they said it was good.

stressed

mine is also in march next year.
happy.gif

per table is 808 *weekend price.
yup, 2 nites stay.. according to agnes, the price will go up after the renovation.
thought the ambience was good when we viewed it in apr..
happy.gif

mocha

Just wanna to inform for those out there who are interested to book Marriott Hotel for your wedding. Do remember to attend their wedding cum bridal show (Divine Couture) held on 21 Oct 2001. Tickets at S$10 nett per pax. I've just received their invitation but too late for me as I've alreday placed my bkg with Orchard Hotel. FYI, for couples who booked with them during the show entitles you to free flow of beer (ist 4 hours only)in your package. Quite a good deal considering the fact that Marriott is a 5 star. So hurry guys you may want to give the hotel a call for more details.

sunshine

I had my wedding at Marriot recently. Decor was nice and staff quite professional. had to admit food was not up to standard. i made a complaint and they gave me a table for 10 free as a followup.

hazel

Hi sunshine,

I am deciding betw. Inter-Continental and Marriot, the thing I like about Inter-Con is the march-in, and the overall ambience...

May I know if u have a "WOW" feeling when u march-in to the Marriot ballroom?

oso,did u have difficulty contacting the person-in-charge? It seems the they always too busy to take calls etc...

stressed

Hi Sunshine,

you were saying the food is really not up to standard.. how bad was it? i am actually very concerned because I had booked the banquet for my wedding next march.. and from the postings on this page, seemed like the food is really not up to standard..
sad.gif

may i know what do you mean by not up to standard? what's the yardstick? hmm.. as in with reference to which hotel/restaurant that it is not up to standard..
i chose marriot because of the ambience; thought it looked grand.. had went to hilton and hyatt b4 that but didn't quite like.. this is the third one that we went to and we booked with it...
sigh..
sad.gif

teddybear

Hi all

I would also love to know if the food and service in Marriott is gd...

Considering it for my wedding next yr...pls help...

hazel

Hi Teddybear,

When are u planning ur wedding?

I've booked mine wif Marriot in June this yr, but i hv not attended any wedding at Marriot b4, so can't comment on the food & service.

2oo3bride

HI

I'm planning to have my wedding at Marriott too. I do heard of pple hearding both good and bad comments.

Anyway, couples who had their wedding at marriott before, what should i be looking for in the package or freebies that can be thrown in that I will not miss out because I've no idea what to ask for.

And also are the pple there honest with the beer and liquor?

Thanks all in advance.

johnny

Hi all, I had my wedding in Marriott last November. Base from what the feedback i get from my guest, the serving is generous and the service is good.
happy.gif
and i am glad to hear that.

I must say that during my food tasting, it was REALLY GOOD. One of the best feast I had.

As for beer and liquor, I think all hotels are honest with it. I mean they have a reputation at stake right.

2oo3bride

Hi Johnny

Glad that you have a great wedding at Marriott. Anyway how long in advance did you book for the hotel? Does the wedding dinner package covers the seat covers, ballroom decor,guest book and the dummy cake?

smartie

Hi 2oo3bride

Just met up with Marriott re: wedding in Sep 2003 but dun think we'll be signing up with them as we are not able to meet the 40 tables minimum requirement for Sat.

Package includes usual stuff like flowers, cake etc. Seat covers..you need to negotiate.

Hope that helps.

Rgds,
Smartie

johnny

hi smartie,

maybe you can try to negotiate with them lor..
me have 38 + 2 spare tables. and big hotels usually required quite a number of tables.. else the ballrooom will also look very empty if there are only a few tables.

How much is the rate now??

My time, they throw in 2 night stay + 3D2N stay at BKK + a quartet performance i think, but we excahnge or this for a cheaper rate for the table instead

2oo3bride

HI smartie

I'm planning on a sunday, it should be min 35 tables rite? Dont tell me they have increased?

2oo3bride

Hi Johnny

actually I've called and they've confirm with me that it is possible to be min 35. Anyway i think i will go ahead to do my booking soon once my bf is free after his tight schedule because I really feel like being a Marriott bride
happy.gif
however I've yet to convince my bf how good the place is because we drop by the ballroom during one sat when we pass by orchard and it wasn't that impressive to him with all white lights.

Anyway did you take the performance or the scented aroma stuff?

slavetolove

Hi 2003bride,

I agree completely that Marriott is really lovely. Makes the beautiful flowers on stage stand out much better. The white lights will probably look different during the dinner as from what I hear that they will be different coloured lights will be shone on them during the dinner.

Simplicity is beauty too!

junie

Hi all,

I attended a wedding dinner at Marriot earlier this year and I must say that apart from the deco and the large ballroom, I don't have anything else good to comment about the hotel.

The food was lousy; the sharks-fin was sourish and sticky. The fish they served was too hard (not fresh?) and the vegetables tasted soapy.

The service wasn't that good as I noticed that the guests on my table had to keep pestering the waiter to serve us more drinks. The dishes were sloppily dished out to each guest's plate.

Do watch out for these.

smartie

Hi 2003bride

Junie's comments were exactly my concerns when I was finalising my choice. Decor and set-up looked great but I have heard a few negative comments about the quality of food (never attended a dinner at Marriott). Of course, food is subjective based on individual preference.

Rather than run such a risk, I opted for Conrad which works out to be slightly more expensive but at least, I have attended a dinner there and feel comfortable. Ultimately, you still have to make an informed decision.

Smartie

worried

HI!

we're actually having our dinner at Marriott.... now with all the negative feedback...we're really worried!!! Any advice, anyone?

We've not had our food tasting yet. Perhaps someone can reply SPECIFICALLY what was the dish/dishes that really put you off? and why?? we will make it a point to llok out or avoid them.

THANKS!

slavetolove

Oh no! we just booked Marriot too! Hey Junie, was it a weekday or weekend wedding dinner that you attended? I am hoping the food is better in the weekend.

2oo3bride

Hi smartie

actually we have quite similar choices , me also btween conrad and marriott. I understand about the negative comments about the food from some pple. But then again my sister went there for a wedding last month and she told it was GREAT, great food great march in, great ambience. I guess one man's meat is another's poison.

Probably to avoid that , we can tell marriott that we want our guest to be served "with divine" so tell them to warn the waiters/tress not to be impatient or rude. We will go ahead and pay them OT if there is a need to prolong the dinner longer and not rushing to feed dogs and cats hahha. that's what my pal teaches me to do.

i guess weekend gets better service than weekdays coz these are part timers who need to work on the other day. usually the waiter/tress's attitudes matters anything more than the food and such. looks like the good or bad of our dinner lies in their hands.

2oo3bride

Hi slavetolove

you like simplicity too?

so when is your date for wedding at marriot?

S

savvyguy

Hi everyone,

MH has good service but the food is so-so. I wonder why but the wedding theme somg is boring. Remember to bring ur CD for a lively wedding. Well, setting is nothing too fantastic and fren had 44 tables. they got free flow beer, additional nite stay at the Suite(wonder why ppl like to stay in hotels if they are staying in S'pore) free corkages but lousy souvenir .

Ouch the Chicken is quite tough but as i've said overall so -so. Met the co-ordinator , very helpful, weekday rates are 688 Nett. but i think of getting in Holiday Inn Park View or York or Merchant Court.

Cheerio Everyone

Savvyguy

slavetolove

Hi 2oo3bride,

I luv simplicity. Really dislike those ballrooms with big hearts, names of couples, 2 big swans etc on stage. Makes the whole place look very cluttered and distracting. I really believe that with just the right amount of flowers placed strategically at the stage would make it look very elegant. At least when you are on stage, you are guaranteed to be the centre of attraction and not sharing the limelight with 2 ice-swans!

My wedding is in Dec 2002. They did not mention any min no. of tables at all though even for weekends.

hazel

I juz had my food tasting at Marriot yesterday, and i must say dat we're not impressed wif the food... i juz hope dat on the actual day, the food will b better...

curious

Hi Hazel

Could you enlighten us on the actual details, i.e. what was wrong with the food ?

I'm very surprised to hear of so many complaints regarding the food especially if it came from Wan Hao.

johnny

hazel : if the food tasting is bad .. then the actual day will not be better?? as i said before, my food tasing was wonderful. except for the eel. I strongly discourage it. It's suppose to be the "famous dish" of the chef .. but during the food tasting ... none of us manage to finish the one little slice they offer ... it really require a "special" taste to like it.

Song wise, you can always try to bring your own. For me and my wife, we choose Enya (overtime) for 1st march-in and Bon Jovi (It's my life) for the second one. Even got the staff to help us change the lightings for our second march-in

the ballroom looks very nice before the start of the dinner with all the different colour lightings shining on each table.

hazel

Hi Curious,

They gave us a reaally big fish for the food tasting, for a moment, we were rather impressed... but the fish meat is like chewing gum... and can tell dat the fish is the frozen type... hmm.. hope u get wat i mean...

then the noodle dish was way too salty, none of us could eat it...

but having said so much, i always feel dat in general, food & service are 2 most inconsistent items ... can oni hope for the best...

worried

hi all!

i must say when we decided on Marriott, it was the lovely setting of the ballroom that kinda 'settled' it. like many of you, we were drawn to the simplicity of it all!

just realised we're still waiting for pple to respond to the LOUSY food...HAZEL, can u pls explain to us? we're really quote nervous abt things now. when i had dinner at wan hao some time back, i really dun recall having any issue with the food. of coz, i can't expect the same for the dinner, but since it is the same chef...
sigh! the dinner is suppose to be a BIG part of one's wedding. with comments like these, it's really disheartening. but i appreciate Junie's comments (THANKS!) coz this will enable us to give the hotel more specific feedback.

SO, any more Marriott's couples or guests who can respond to pple like me, slavetolove, 2003bride, etc?

hazel

hi worried..

i'm juz as worried as u are abt. the food... my dinner is coming up soon in 2 mths' time...

worried

dear hazel,
how are your preparations for the other stuff coming along?

i was just sharing abt the comments to one of my friends, & she mentioned it is really quite difficult to expect the hotels to come up with fantastic food, coz afterall, we approach the hotels coz we want the whole package. If food is so much of a concern, we shd head for resturants instead...

we're praying hard that things will turn up well... i actually am getting more and more worried, especially when some relatives or friends are the PARTICULAR type! don't want them to feel they are short-changed or anything.

BTW, who did you speak with at Marriott? i was thinking maybe it will be of help if we ALL have the same feedback for the wedding co-ordinators, & ALL of us raise our concerns to them. maybe they will then take notice of us! in fact, we did mention this to AGNES. certainly pray she will look into this & not just pay us lip service.

anyway, have you got your studio n pics all done up? can share? ;-)

hazel

Hi worried,

when is ur wedding, hv u book wif Marriot?
I've oledy done my photoshoot, mebbe able to collect the album in a wk or 2's time..

I agree wif u abt. the total package dat the hotel can offer... for us, we like the location of Marriot, being so easily accessible by MRT, dat even if it rains, our guests won't get drenched...

i speak to Sheena, she's the mgr... i feel dat so far everything abt. Marriot has been gd and has lived up to expectations... oni the food needs improvement......

worried

Dear Hazel & all,
m a dec bride ;-)

can't wait for things to fall into place, coz both my bf & myself are rather tied up with work (usually), and more often than not, we tend to procrastinate! bad habit...what to do??? hee!

well, do hope to see your pics in 2 wks time! God bless!