Simmons mattress - any advise?

greenhorn

Hi, juz saw the simmons mattress midnight elegance promo - mattress + 2 pillows (head n neck 1) + mattress protector @ S$1099, from the Home Makers 2002, is it a good buy? any simmons owners with gd avise? Hv tried others like Dunlopillow, king koil, 4 stars not as comfy as simmons leh...

dec_gal

hi greenhorn

I think its pretty good buy.. but urs is a king or queen mattress... If King, must grab liao... If Queen, i think it still consider cheap.

My simmons king mattress (celebrity set) cost me $1300... i also got it during sale. I must say I really love my bed now...
happy.gif
happy.gif

cheer

hi greenhorn,

agree with dec_gal, its a good buy
happy.gif

we juz bought the Simmons Beautyrest World Class Ultra Plush at Homemakers 2002 and got the free gifts for newly weds mentioned
happy.gif

we got it at abt $1800
happy.gif
the original price was $2300, its really comfy, can't wait for the delivery....

oak

i m an ardent supporter of simmons! bought our felicity (king size) for our new home, and resting comfortably each nite with it!

oak

hazel

hi greenhorn,

did u check out wat is the normal retail price of the mattress? if it is much more than $1099, then i guess it's worth it...

when we bought our King-sized Westbury, the mattress protector & pillows were free too due to the newly wed package... on top of dat, we have a complimentary phone from B&O from the Westbury promo then...

Simmons is definitely a brand worth splurging for... like Oak, i've been sleeping well every nite...

greenhorn

Oh, the offer was for queen size. But the sales gal didn't mention anything abt newly weds thingey..do we get more freebies since we fall under the newly weds category leh..?? they are also hving the promo of buy 1 get 1 free for the pillows at the Homemakers 2002..fyi..in case some of u need extra pillows..cos sounds like gd deal..my budget is quite low that's why the sales gal rec me this model cos abt $1k, but not sure if there r others near this price leh..am thinkin of going to the IMM branch to see if there's other promo goin on.

dec_gal

Hi greenhorn

yah yah its good to look around lst before finally decide on which mattress.

There are many types of simmon mattress, it will be better to try all sorts before u decide on which...

dun worry, there are other models around $1K for queen size.. tts what i remember... Just keep a look out for their sales items... mostly older models, but i personally feel its really worth to take old models, as the price is not tt steep.

happy searching!

sweety

Hi all

We bought a King size Westbury because it was a non-flip. Just to share some comments...

My previous mattress was a Queen size king koil, can't remember the model, few years ago it cost slightly more than 1K.

Now sleeping on the simmons westbury, I find that it is softer than my KK, I would have like a firmer mattress. I did not consider the simmons back care series because I'd then have to flip the mattress and it's just to much trouble for a king size.

Comfort is very subjective. The Wesbury was supposed to be the firmest with a plush top in that series!

doodbug

Hi Sweety!

the westbury in my opinion, together with expedition firm and felicity are very good buys - if you notice, they're hardly ever on sale. most of the other simmons mattresses have to flip one, and most of them don't have the plush top, which really distinguishes a simmons from a non-simmons, in my humble opinion.

i've been waiting for these 3 models to go on sale - they are timeless pieces - but then the sales guy told me hardly any sale, even if have, it is at most 200 bucks. haha, so i am still waiting.

glad you like your westbury!

chemson

Hi gals,

What do you think abt the back care range? They have back care 2 to 4 models. I quite like the back care 4. I did enquire abt Felicity at the HomeMakers Exhibition but they were not on sale but sold instead at the showroom... what was sold including the Back care range.. the midnite Elegance and Beauty Rest World Class. And doodbug was right.... the three timely pieces are not on sale as yet.

hazel

Hi doodbug,

juz to share my experience.. when i got my Westbury from the showroom, i was told dat there'll b 5% discount if we pay by cash. The best deal is to pay by Citibank's CC, u'll get 5% discount & can opt for 12 mths interest-free instalment. 5% of King-sized Westbury (original $2,799) is oledy $139.95... check out the deals they're offering now & access whether it's worthwhile to buy now... so u mebbe able to enjoy the comfort sooner...
happy.gif

cheer

hi greenhorn,

most mattress need to be fliped about( ie, u switch the head to the tail of the bed, 180 degree rotation of the mattress) , this is part of maintaining ur mattress, such that the indention (sp?) is not always on the same spot, it helps to prolong the lifespan of the mattress.
non-flip mattress are supposed to be less vulnerable to "indention", hence they maintain the shape better. However, we were told that if the couple are both not heavy or do not have a huge weight difference b/w them, then there isnt a need to constantly flip the mattress.

hope this helps.

sweety

Hi greehorn

I got my king size westbury in Nov 2001, got the 5% discount for using credit card on regular price $2700. So I paid $2659.05

I also got the wedding couple gift, 2 pillows and a mattress protector. The B&O phone gift was already over then, so I did not get that.

According to the explanation, the simmons is built from the base up with a foundation with many layers and you can only sleep on one side, therefore non-flip.

The conventional mattress is built like a sandwich, spring coils in the middle with layers of stuff on both top and bottom. You need to flip as you can sleep on both sides. Over long period of time, it will sag in the same spot if you do not flip it. If you flip, it will be more even. You need to rotate, flip and repeat all this every 3 months. (there's a specific way to do this if you want your mattress to last and make the best use of it1)

Hi doodbug

My husband loves our westbury very much!!! Hope you get yours soon!! The great Singapore Sale will be here soon!

doodbug

Hi all!

most of the models on sale har, like premium 2000, midnight elegance, all usually will be discontinued pretty soon. the simmons mattresses that have really stood the test of time are the 3 pieces i mentioned above, some of the higher range ones (too exp, can't remember the names) and backcare range. These are tied and tested models that really stood the test of time, testifying to the exceptional quality lor.

hi cheer!

as sweety explained, the mechanism of non flip and need to flip mattresses are different. i personally prefer a non flip mattress, coz only non flip can have attached plush top, which i feel gives the mattress a luxurious feel. really feels like hotel bed lor! heheh

okie, waiting for the 3 timeless models to go on sale - anyone see them on sale please inform the forum! haha

kit

Hi Gals,
Me too. I am considering the Backcare series 2. the last time, it was selling for $1488 but didn't buy cos too early for my hse yet. Now the px has increased again. "Sign", pls pls release new if the px drops again. thanks a zillion.

chemson

Hi Kit,

The backcare series is on promotional price now at the Homemakers Exhibition. Backcare 4 is selling at $1997 for the King-Sized and if you purchase at the exhibition, they will give you another 5% off. Very worth it.. cos originally the backcare 4 was selling at $2,600.

chemson

Hi Kit,

Not too sure... cos I was interested in Backcare 4.. :p Why dun you call the lady at the Simmons Gallery stand at the exhibition. The number is Tel: 9293 0909. Ask for the price..
happy.gif

greenhorn

Hi all,

I went to the Simmons G. showroom @ greatworld yesterday, the sales guy told me the midniget elegance (the one i'm interested in) is md in Malaysia, in fact, same for most of cheaper range (abt 1K). The diff he told me was that the foam & fabric is diff quality, but i guess there shdn't be much diff (esp for non expert like me), right? any idea if what he said is true? Find it weird cos the price diff from the others md in ctries, like Italy/ states...so much diff leh..??

Any idea which showroom has the most range on display (esp those around $1K)??

knowing

Hi

I have just bought the Simmons Canterbury Mattress Queen Size at the homemakers fair yesterday,price around $2K
n there's a free Crabtree n Evelyn hamper
2 pillows & a mattress protector free
I was told if during anytime i haven't collected
my mattress, the price drops or what I can go back to them for the lower price
Not sure if its true????

greenhorn

Hi, was told by one furniture shop boss that the better type of mattress is that made of nasa foam..anyone heard of it or own one? he can get me one (unknown brand) at abt $1K, but he also advised that Simmons do sell but very ex at abt $4K. it seems very comfy.. not the normal type of foam but when u lie on it, it slowly sinks down..dun hv to worry abt flippin it..he showed us with a metal ball put beneth the nasa foam and yet the surface is still flat..any advise??

unique

Chemson,

I hv gone down 2 Parkway yest n was told tat the backcare 2 is now promo at not xceeding 1.3K (after discount).

Simmons act hv a standard price that once there is a promo no matter where u go you were still b entitled 2 tis price unless the retailer mark up the price themselves.

chemson

Hi Unique,

I acutally bought backcare 4 over the long weekend.. the original price was $2,600. They slashed it down to $1,997 and I got another 5% off also. Yep.. it's true... the prices are std across all retailers selling the promotional range. It was selling at $1,997 at Takashimaya as well.

kit

Hi Unique,
I bought the backcare 2 from the Homemaker exhibition at 1534.25 (5% off $1615), where did you ask at Parkway that you got a $1.3k??? I feel so cheated by the Simmon lady.....

doodbug

no worries Kit, yours is a king size right?

the queen is selling at slightly less than 1.3k, the king would be more expensive.

C

chupachup

Hi Simmons experts,

If i may ask for some advice...

I'm also currently eyeing to purchase a Simmons mattress but in two minds as to which one to choose - Backcare 3 ($1400+ ) or Expedition Firm ($1500+). Difference in price is not much but as you all know, backcare is very firm and must be flipped regularly to maintain the mattress. Whereas for Expedition Firm, it is a non-flip mattress, and hard at the bottom but soft on top.

Well, the sales lady actually recommends Expedition firm cos she said it's more suitable for young couples (bcos it's more comfy due to the extra layer of cushion on top). However, many have told me that backcare is the best.

Any advice??

chemson

Hi Chupachup,

With reference to your question... well.. we were kinda deciding btw the backcare 4 and the new beautyrest range... like the Westbury and Felicity..in terms of comfort level... it feels great esp with the layer of cushion.. but when it comes to protecting your back and in terms of long-term investment.. backcare range is still the best and it is only the hassel of flipping the mattress which we dun mind.. cos it's only once every 2 weeks when you change the bedsheets.

catz

Hi,

Does anyone have a Beautyrest Queen Victoria? I have this and I'm not sure if it's a non-flip 'cos I didn't ask about that! It's a super-thick mattress and I was wondering if other people had problems finding bedsheets. So far, only Peri bedsheets fit properly... :p

I agree that Simmons mattresses are the best. So comfy! Worth every cent!

chemson

Hi Catz,

U might like to check the Simmons website:

www.simmons.com.sg

As far as I know.. the new range under New Beautyrest 2001.. apex, felicity, westbury and expedition models... they are non-flip.. the rest are. I have chosen the extra length king sized mattress.. therefore.. sheets by Jean Perry.. dun fit it.. I have to buy again.. :p

doodbug

Hi Chupachup,

i was told by the simmons gallery sales staff that whether to choose backcare 2,3,4 or ultimate depends on your body weight. for relatively light couples, backcare 4 is definitely a no-no coz it is so firm it ends up 'pushing against' you. although the backcare 2 is the cheapest, the simmons gallery staff recommended backcare 2 as most suitable to me and my fh. the support for backcare 4 may be greater, but not everyone needs that level of support lor.

i would personally go for the expedition firm....it has a luxurious feel! but then backcare 2 is 400 bucks cheaper, so am still thinking... mebbe when i am older, 10 years down the road then get a backcare range mattress, haha.

catz

hi girls,
i bought aussino and friven sheets and they don't fit either. my queen victoria is super-duper thick but i'm not complaining... it's a fantastic bed! but sigh.. cannot any how buy sheets loh.
happy.gif

catz

hi chemson,

thanks for the website URL. went there and got some v.g. info. oh and got the name of my mattress wrong... it's grand victoria. haha...

hazel

Hi all,

There are a few brands wif sheets dat's big enuff for thick mattress... such as Sintex, Peri, Sheridan, Gainsborough, Comfort Zone and King Koil... juz b sure to read the dimensions b4 u buy the sheets...

I use Gainsborough for my Westbury, the sheets is actually bigger than the mattress, so it doesn't fit exactly, but i find the sheets so comfy dat i dun mind getting more of the same type...

chemson

Hi catz,

U R most welcome... say.. do u know if aussino and friven sheets fit the length and width of 182cm by 198 cm... cos my mattress is this length? The thickness of the mattress is not as bad as the Westbury.. :p

apple

hi all,

any advice on which is the best place to get the best buy for simmons mattress?

i would like something with that plush layer on top, any particular models to recommend?

thanks in advance!

catz

hi chemson,

aussino and friven are definitely no problem for your mattress. it's just that mine is about 2 inches too thick, if not i can use the normal brands. however, i really like the peri range of bedlinen but a bit expensive lah.

hazel, thanks for the advise too.

apple, i bought mine from robinson's and they did refund me the difference when the price dropped.
happy.gif

chemson

Hi apple,

U may like to try the Simmons retail outlets at IMM, Furniture Mall, Great World City and Paragon. Takashimaya also has a Simmons gallery.. as well as Robinsons. Something with a plush layer top.. would have to be the New Beautyrest range... like Apex, Westbury and Felicity.

C

chupachup

Hi apple,

if you like those with a plush layer on top, but yet firm at the bottom, consider the Expedition Firm - highly recommended by the sales lady for younger people (bcos we're usually not too used to sleeping on very hard mattresses).

Thanks ladies for your advices. I think i'll stick to Expedition Firm. I went to the furniture mall during lunch and tried on the 2 mattresses (backcare 4 + Expedition) again and am convinced that i still prefer the latter.

Anyway, just in case you gals don't know. Citibank has a ongoing promo with Simmons and you can purchase the mattresses or any other stuffs there (as long as it's above $500) on a 12 month interest free plan. Very good hor??

apple

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your tips!

It sounds like there's no place that offers Simmons at a better price than others - all prices are REALLY controlled and the same?

I was told that so long as you use Visa, you get 5% off the list price. And if you're a PPS member, you get another 10% off! True??

Hi Catz,

Refund?? Really?? I guess you ordered a piece, and the price dropped before the delivery, and you were paid the difference? That's really good! And do you get the 5% off with the Robinson's card?

Hi Chupachup,

So on top of the Apex, Westbury and Felicity that Chemson mentioned, Expedition has the plush layer too? Is Expedition from the BeautyRest range as well? What's the cost like?

catz

hi Chemson,

No probs... hope you enjoy your mattress as much as I do.
happy.gif

Hey, does anyone have detailed instructions on how to flip your mattress? Must you rotate the mattress or just flip? And how often must it be done?

C

ch8upachup

Hi apple

Yes, expedition is under the same category of Apex, Westbury and Felicity. I am not sure if it's from the BeautyRest range though. Currently, the queen size expedition firm costs $1599, if i'm not wrong. Why don't go check it out?

Btw, what is PPS card?

chemson

Hi Gals,

Catz: According to the lady at Simmons... you got to flip & rotate from one side to one side.. initially each time you change the bedsheets and after that when it is seasoned enough... you can flip every 3-6 mth. I happened to be at Robinsons @ Raffles City.. yep.. saw the sheets on sale..
happy.gif
Was in a hurry so did not get lor..
happy.gif

Hey apple: Westbury (king size) is $2,799. Felicity is $2,499 (king size)... Expedition should be around that, but cheaper at least $300.

dreamer

hi apple,
i jus went to the funiture mall last wk & the lady recommended the beautyrest expediture firm mattress @ $1599 but forget to ask if they are any promo like..free pillow & mattress protector.

hi all,
if the mattress sheet u bought does not fit how? can change a not? if thats the case, meaning have to get those expensive bedsheet rite?

catz

Hi all,

Chemson: thanks... roughly get the gist of it... but gotta figure out how I can flip and rotate so that I won't forget which way it's been flipped before.
happy.gif

apple:Yep, they refunded me the diff and I still got 5% off! So it was a good deal for my Grand Victoria. Kinda wish I had opted for a non-flip but it's OK, shouldn't be too much hassle to flip if my husband helps me! Imagine flipping a king sized king-kong mattress by yourself!
happy.gif

I think PPS refers to SIA's Priority Passenger scheme.

Hi dreamer, don't think you can change the mattress unless it's in the original packaging. Even then, don't know if the major stores would accept the reason. Worth a try though... Or just put up with it loh.. My friven sheets don't cover the entire mattress but my duvet covers it up... still I prefer my PERI sheets.. so nice! Must go and get some more.
happy.gif

chemson

Hey dreamer,

I bought my mattress and divan set from the furniture mall... as well.. no free pillows but free mattress protector. As for the bedsheets... gotta see which brands fit the bed... gotta take note of the length and width and thus, it is easier to find.. :p

apple

Hi All,

Very thankful for all the comments from you guys!
happy.gif
I'm not too willing to spend $2K on a mattress now that I'm sleeping well even on a non-Simmons mattress... But Expedition sounds like a good find! Will go check it out! Thanks much!
happy.gif

BTW, is Homemakers 2002 over? Is it the one that was at Suntec? Or Expo?

C

chupachup

Hi Dreamer

Who was the lady who served you at Furniture Mall?

And btw, yeah, i'm quite worried about buying bedsheets that will fit the mattress well cos it seems to be that Simmons mattresses are quite thick. Hmm...but i heard that a good bedsheet shld have at least 280 thread count.

Catz: How much does a Peri bedsheet cost and where can we find this brand?