Shangri-la Hotel

girl

Hi All, my fiance and myself were thinking of holding our dinner at Shangri-la. We love the ballrooms, and food that we've tried at previous weddings seems quite good too. Any one with any experiences there? Any comments on packages and service?

junebrides

i went there for my prom and not for a wedding. Me personally not very impress. Food is average too. But of course a wedding might be different. But i would say service is quite good...change plates after every meal....waiteress quite attentive to your needs....

relaxed

Hello, I am considering Shangri-La as one of my hotel venues. I heard that they can be quite rigid ... what should I expect in the proposal? Thank you.

girl

Hi Relaxed, You seem the only other person to be considering Shangri-la... wonder why...
We've already booked the banquet for next year. They don't offer as many perks as some other hotels, but can still ask for some extras here and there
happy.gif

You should call them up and get a copy of the packages available, we were able to "bargain" for some things like extra night stay, but not for free beer..
When is your wedding going to be?

relaxed

Hi Girl, you're right, there aren't many postings here on Shangri-La. But there are quite a few unfavourable postings in femalebridesonline.com where there were very critical reviews on the food and bad service.
However, from people I've spoken to, the overall impression of people who have held their weddings there is that the ballroom, food and service at the banquet is good, but don't expect too much from the sales dept as they adopt a take it or leave it attitude.
From initial discussions, they are not willing to offer free beer or an additional night's stay. Wedding is planned for around 3rd quarter 2002. Which ballroom are you taking up and when's your wedding? Is your sales manager nice?

winik

Hi Girl and relaxed,

I've booked my wedding at the Shangri-La too! It's set for 30/3/2002. But I'm having a tea reception, not a dinner. It'll be held at the Pavilion on a Saturday afternoon.

As for rigidity, my wedding planner - Stephanie Chua - has been quite accommodating. She threw in free seat covers. We even got to change some items on our menu that were not Muslim-friendly.

So far, so good!
happy.gif

--winik

girl

Hi Relaxed, We've booked the Island ballroom for 7 Dec 02, have found them quite flexible. We'll be having our church service there as well and they were willing to allow us free use of another room if we ordered some light refreshments. Also managed to get an extra night's stay, extra floral stands... Only not able to get free beer!
I think both ballrooms are quite grand looking, which are you thinking of booking?

Hi Winik, I only managed to catch a glimpse of the Pavillion from the outside 'cos it was locked, but looks like quite a cosy place. What's the layout like on the inside? We were thinking of having ceremony at the Waterfall Terrace, but I find the shape a little odd to fit in chairs for a church service.

winik

Girl,

The Pavilion is a regular rectangular room. One part of it is a sitting area with designer chairs and coffee tables, which we will be using for our church service. The inner room is bright and airy, and just nice for our reception of about 130 people. It doesn't really need much decoration so we'll save quite a lot on the flowers.

We wanted to use the Waterfall Terrace for our church service, but like you said, it's an awkward shape, so we're going with the Pavilion for both the service and the reception. If the weather holds up we might even consider doing it outdoors in the garden next to the Pavilion. Maybe you could consider their other function rooms. They quoted me $1K to rent the room without food included.

happy.gif

winik

relaxed

Hi Girl & Winik,

I'm glad things look good for you both
happy.gif
. Can't figure out why they were not willing to give us an additional night's stay
sad.gif
. Could it be because you took the more expensive dinner menu (Gold, Platinium?), while we asked for the Silver. We're not so worried about the free beer though.

We do like both the ballrooms and they are nice. The Island would be our preferred choice. I'm alright with the paintings on the side of the ballroom; do you like them?

girl

Hello Winik, I think I'll pop over one day and ask to look at the pavillion and other function rooms
happy.gif

Hi Relaxed, We didn't take any set package as my MIL wanted specific dishes, which came up to $1000++. Platinum package is really out of budget! We were quite surprised to find out that they had a no of couples that booked it!!
I think both the Tower and Island ballrooms are really nice and grand, plus they have an unblocked view
happy.gif
Good thing about Island is that they have a private reception area with a side door entrance. I don't particularly like the paintings but don't mind it either
happy.gif
We were looking at around 60 tables which only Island would be able to accomodate
happy.gif

Have u booked yet?

winik

Hi Relaxed,

Didn't book any of those packages. Ours is the tea reception package, which is $58+++/pax.

The spread sounds pretty good too, but I've never attended a wedding there before so we'll only find out on the day itself cos there's no food tasting for tea reception. But I heard the hi-tea there is good...

happy.gif

winik

relaxed

Hi Girl and Winik,

Haven't booked yet as we have been going through the overall package. But we have been rather put off by the bad attitude and service of the banquet sales people.

We have never been treated so badly by any of the other hotels. Even though Ritz and other equivalent hotels have quite stringent conditions, we were made to feel very at home there.

winik

relaxed,

who served you at the shang? we only met stephanie twice before signing the contract, and both times she was quite pleasant. we were very put off by the attitude of the raffles hotel staff. melanie teo was the person who met us and she basically wasn't very interested in telling us more about the package and answering our questions. in fact, after we left, she didn't even bother to call us to see if we had any further questions, and the few emails we exchanged before meeting up were quite brusquely-worded as well. so our experience at the shang was much better in comparison.

but the best wedding planner we met was sun sun from the beaufort. we were almost going to sign on the dotted line and were making a lot of changes here and there but she was patient and friendly throughout. in fact, she's the best wedding planner we've met on our search for the perfect place. too bad the cost was too prohibitive in the end, because beaufort is really a beautiful place.

if your wedding planner is not up to par, why don't you voice your dissatisfaction and get them to switch planners? after all, you're paying a lot of money, so you should expect good service!

happy.gif

winik

clover

Hi Shang brides, went to a wedding dinner at Shang over the weekend and thought of sharing my experience
happy.gif

Ballroom: High ceiling pillarless ballroom was breath taking. Reception area felt exclusive and cosy. Floral arrangements along the red carpets , patterned white seat covers and table setting and linens were pretty.

Food & service: Found only one of the eight course menu to be yummy - the prawn and yam ball dish (can't remember proper name). Rest of menu was just ok but the noodle dish was pretty bad, the vegetables dish was quite bland. Service was pretty slow though. Also, as the place was spacious, back tables couldn't really hear the MC during the sabo session so future Shang brides may want to talk to the techincal pple. Spoke to the sales manager who was at the banquet last night about package at Shang and was completely put off by her snooty attitude.
angry.gif

Well that was my experience, hope it was helpful
happy.gif

suan

Well, just to join in the gang, I had my wedding at 30/09/2001 at Shang Island ballroom. We were both very happy with the process and the whole dinner. In fact everything went without a hitch. I simply love the chandliers of Island as well as the VIP room just next to the ballroom..it was so easy and quick for all my gown changes.

winik

I think I too shall provide an update on my wedding at the Shang on 28/10/01.

We held a tea reception at the Pavilion and the Garden Terrace and it was fabulous!! I'd never tried the food at the Shang before the wedding, and didn't get much to eat on the day itself (I had a tea reception), but my guests were all raving about how tasty the food was. In fact, it was so yummy that my guests took home all of the left-over cakes, pastries and savouries after the wedding! I've heard that the Shang is famous for their high tea, and so I guess that's why the food at my reception was so delish.

The decor was also very well done, and everything that I asked for was done, down to the smallest detail. Technically, the sound was good, there were no hiccups and the processional and recessional music came on right on time and without a hitch.

Service-wise, our wedding planner - Stephanie Chua - was very forthcoming with advice and was very prompt in attending to our requests. In fact, she didn't bat an eyelid when we changed the wedding date 4 times and did not even charge us an administrative fee. She even threw in the use of the Garden Terrace free when she realised that it was available on our wedding day and that squeezing all our guests into the Pavilion with the theatre seating and the threat of rain would not be too good.

Everyone else from the soundman down to the waiters and waitresses was also courteous and prompt. They even brought me water in a glass with a straw so that I would not ruin my lipstick!

All in all, everyone agreed that it was a wonderful wedding, and I would not hesitate to recommend anyone else who wants to get married to do it at the Shangri-La!

happy.gif
winik

suncoral

Hi Suan,

I'm in the mist of confirming my wedding banquet within these few days. Managed to get a good pricing for the Shang Island Ballroom but was worried abt the food and service for the actual day. By the way, who was your sales co-or?

And also, in the contract, it was stated that the hotel reserves the right to assign another ballroom in the event that the Island ballroom is required for other functions...can u imagine that and they only give 45 days notice!!!

By the way, did you cater to fewer tables coz there was this clause that states...Should the guaranteed attendance falls below the min stated, then they would charge me for the rental of the ballroom: S$13,000+++.

Will appreciate if you could clarify all these b4 I pay the deposit :>

Thanks!!

suncoral

T

two cents

Hi,

I attended a wedding dinner at Shangri-la last month, and thought of sharing my feedback here with you

The room is cosy and elegant. Food wise, it is not up to standard that I expect, as least I've tasted several better ones at Merchant Court, Four Seasons, Hotel Intercontinental etc. The sound system is bad compared to other hotels. Service wise, the waiters and waitresses are very polite and provide pretty good service.

cloud

Hi Winik,
I will be having a tea reception for friends and collegues. Have seem Beaufort, alkaff and raffles marina. Now that i saw your comments on the forum, maybe you are the best person who can advise me on the various venue, including Shang.
I am looking at about 150 pax...
Many thanks!!!
cloud

tango

Hi,

Has anyone done a chinese lunch at Shang ? Does anybody know what the price could be like?

I tried calling them, but no one answered the phone.

pepper

Hi,
Anybody booked a banquet with Shangrila? Heard that we have to do a lot of coordinating on our own, is it true? Can anybody share their experience with Shang? Thanks!

janfyp

Hi pepper,

Just sharing my experience. I nearly booked Shang for my dinner venue cos my FIL is very in favour of the place. We went to view the place on a sat when there were two banquets going on and it was really crowd. We felt that even with urshers there is a chance that guests might mistakenly walk into another couple's banquet.

Another minus point would be the poor service rendered by the sales banquet manager. I found her to be inflexible and curt in her replies to my queries.

I believe that Shang is a beautiful place and there are many plus points (like food, ambience etc) to hold your dinner there. But for us, the above 2 points are enough to deter us.

iliac

There've not been any posts on Shangri-La wedding banquets for a long time. Does anyone have recent experiences to share? Either as a guest, or bridal couple.

H

hondaboy

Hi Winik,

I too have booked a church service/reception at Pavillion. Can you share some "tips" or things to look out for while using that place? Did you use the area outside the room with a circular pond?

Thanks in advance!
happy.gif

girl

hi april,

don't think that you really need to make 20% downpayment....

my wedding is in 3 wk's time and to date we've not paid that much yet
happy.gif

heart

Hi April,

My sales person is Sock Pheng, I find her
quite ok. Anyway, I have to pay a 20% downpayment, I think is a normal practise for most hotels except for Ritz Carlton which
require a 80% downpayment. But, is all
depend, try speaking to the sales person
and get the place reserve before it's gone.
Good Luck !

april

Thanks Heart

I thought the usual deposit's maximum $5K.
Imagine if I have 100 tables. that would cost me 100*904 = 90400 and 20% of that comes to 18K.
Wow, that's a lot for a deposit. Had a friend who booked at Westin for a 100 tables and the deposit was only $5K.

Girl - how much deposit did you pay for Shang? wonder if it's a new clause.

girl

April,

I'm not exactly sure how much we've paid so far as my FH has been settling the bill but it's for sure less than $10K

It is probably in the contract but the salesperson we dealt wif was open to negotiations.

blurqueen

Hi Shang Brides,

this thread has been quiet for quite some time...
happy.gif

We are looking around for banquet packages, but my FIL insists on Shang, though we are not sure whether we can afford or not. *sigh*

Has anyone booked a package for this year wedding ? What are the prices of the package offered by Shang...??

Thanks to those who helped...!

autumnheart

hi blurqueen, I've signed up with Shang for their tea reception, using the Garden Terrace.

their dinner package starts from $850 per table of 10 person.
8 course, i think.
quite standard package.

if you want details, email me at my hotmail account (same username name).
i can dig out the brochures and give you some info before you decide if you want to go down to talk to the staff there.

yvonne

hi blurqueen,

i have visited Shang to look at their ballrooms and bridal suite.. u can talk to Sock Pheng (wedding cordinator). .she's quite nice
ballrooms are very grand!!!
prices on the high side though..
maybe u can send me ur email address.. and i send u the package they are offering..

mexx

Hi Blur queen,
Take note if you want to serve wine... If I dun remember wrongly, I think they either have very high corkage charges or they make u order their wines which are pretty expensive... dun forget to factor this in.

princess

Hi Blur queen,
If money is not an issue, I'll strongly recommend Shang. I was a Shang bride.

They offer 4 packages: Silver 1, Silver 2, Gold and Platinum. Prices starts from $800+++. Not sure about the current rates.

The grandness of the ballroom is something a lot of other hotels cannot provide. Especially the Island Ballroom with the spacious foyer. I couldn't bear to leave the Ballroom when the dinner ends. It's simply wonderful!

Service of staff is excellent, at least, to the bride & groom. They were very attentive to our every needs. There's always staff with towels and drinks following us around. They really made me felt like a princess!
happy.gif

Whenever I recall my wedding, I can't help feeling dreamy all over again.
happy.gif

Of course, this is my personal experience. Do call them for details. One thing to note is, they are quite inflexible with regards to additional items and conditions. Overall experience with them was GREAT!
happy.gif

carol

Hi! anyone has exp with them recently?? Can I know who is yr coordinator and did u manage to get any freebies?? Thanks a lot

pin

Hi carol

i spoke to Sandra abt this U may be interested

-------
By Sandra Han (poonie17) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I signed with Hotel Shangri-la for a wedding banquet on Dec-15-2002. Due to a regrettable circumstances, I have to cancel this occasion. Official cancellation was sent in June-2002 which is 6 months prior to the event. Contractually there would be a cancellation charges of 50% which is amount to S$22,000.00
I have paid S$10,000.00 as a deposit which is of course been forfeited. I have appealed to Hotel Shangri-La to waive the balance payments but was rejected citing the reason of principles and way of business. Of course I cannot denied it was fault at my end but to pay for some S$22,000.00 without even having a meal is rather hard to swallow.

I was given a choice of either introduce someone to hold an event or pay up the owning. I have tried but cant find any interesting friends or relatives to hold an event with them. Hence,I'm willing to subsidise 2 tables out of my own pocket for anyone who might want to hold event with them.

I have their price list on hand, if you need it, feel free to email me again.

Best Regards ,

poonie
HP : 90686618
Email : [email protected]

disappointed

shang can be a bit difficult when it comes to negotiations. they tell you first that some things can be thrown in with the package, then when the contract comes, it's different from what was discussed. So it makes meaningful discussions rather difficult.

i agree that it is a very nice place, and i had really hoped that working with them could have been a more pleasant experience. have to now rethink booking with shang. my other half had all along preferred another place, but i liked shang, but now it appears that he may have had the right idea all along!

as for poonie, i really do hope that you'll be able to discuss things with shang and get some of the deposit back. yes, they tend to ask for a lot of deposit from some couples, and only a bit from others. i don't know why. but i know that for a place like the hyatt, no matter how many tables, it's only a $2,000 deposit!

B

bride-to-be

Umpph! I am considering Shangrilla for my wedding...but after reading this....my....and I scared...They seem to be not flexible...escpecially the deposit part...
been to their wedding fair...I like it...actually the setup is very impressive...There is so much of setup and the overall setup could do to convince...but after reading and experiencing some of them...I am rather sceptic of having it there..
The sales people are quite.,...Snobbish...I think for me the sales person is very important...The bridal suite was so so....Been to a few...Ritz Carlton is ok...Raffles is great ( but what can I say...it is the Raffles ).... Four Seasons is good too... well I just have to discuss with my hubby...I would think we should give Shang a miss...

grace

Hi
I had held my dinner though not in Shangri-la but would like to share my views about them when I met up with them b4 I decided on my venue.

I was impressed by the deco of their ballroom, esp. the semi-outdoor venue facing a topical garden and fish pond. When I am there, they brought me to their lounge and ordered drinks for me (First impression of the sales executive was good) Well, after viewing the venue and came to the nego of package , I found that they're extremely rigid, not open for nego. Kinda put off by them.

In the end, I choose Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa. Not only I am impressed by the ambience , hospitiality , the sales manager is always opened for suggestions and nego. Imagine they allow me to bring additional drinks in the ballroom .... They're so flexible compared to the mainland hotel. Check them out.

jellybeans

Hi I just had my wedding at Shang a month plus back & my hubby n I have never regretted our decision. Like wat Princess said, the service was excellent and the experience was indeed unforgettable
happy.gif
Our guests are still full of praises
happy.gif

It's just my two cents worth ... do go there with an open mind
happy.gif

april01

Hi
Our wedding was also held in Shang 2 weeks ago. We had a wonderful experience and are really glad that we decided to hold it there. Though a bit pricey, the service is excellent. Thumbs up, we would say. Leaves us good memories of our wedding.

L

lost cat

i'm planning to hv a buffet style outdoor for bout 100 pax, any experience on the rates n packages??? is it negotiable????

benee

You can use the Garden Terrace for 100 people at the Shangri-la hotel. It's under their private collection. It's sorta outdoor, with roof over. Beautiful place. Price wise is on the pricy side. Rental of the place, flowers and catering all separate charges. Go to their website for more details. Also, if I remember correctly, their package does not include room and such.

L

lolita123

Yeah right....
Shangrilla sucks big time....Maybe they should use their brain

Y

yy

very expensive. i enquired, it's about $80+++ per person... very pricey for the kind of food they are providing. There's also no aircon, might be a little hot in the afternoon.

karen

Hi lost cat,

would like to share some information with you about shangri-la which I've check about 1 week ago.

The waterfall Terrace (Koi Pond) is air con, quite nice, but becoz the date that I'm looking at was booked, I didn't ask much.

The Garden Terrace, is non-aircon, with ceiling fan, the lady suggest to use it at 7pm becoz its more cooling.

Buffet (hi-tea 2-5pm) - $58+++/pax
Sit down: $100+++/pax

They were having a solemnising package @ $3888 for citibank card holder which retail at $5000 normally.

Call them to check it out 62134094 (Catering Dept - Stephanie)

L

lost cat

yup, hv chk the price, very x! i chk out their web, the place is beautiful... friends recomended century roxy poolside. price is better n the food??? any feedback...