Sengkang Rivervale 150 series (Chip Huat Construction)

elaine77

Hi yellow,

Are you talking about those opposite rivervale mall? I have chosen a unit there during the WIS excercise. What about u? I have noticed that the construction is quite slow, dun know will it complete in time or will we get the keys earlier.

esp

yes. it is nine storey high as of today. I went just now and notice that the contract period is from mar 2002 - may 2003.

esp

hi yellow and elaine,

this is wat i posted in the blk 400 series fernvale thread.

http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/messages/409/11109.html?1064393459#POST418494

posted on 23 sep

My block is ard 8 storeys high so is the other blk ard my area. I started to monitor since begining of 2002. Initially the construction ppl block off the area real fast and things start to move. After ard half a year, everything seems to come to a standstill at six storeys high. After some media attention on the marine terrace upgrading incident etc we went back to see and is ard eight storeys only. For the fernvale case, their blk is already completed and is only the interior not completed. Still hdb needed half a year to nine months to complete. My blk is ard 8 storeys and the estimated date of completion is Nov 04. But i really doubt they are able to deliver. I kept advising my friends who want bto... if you cannot wait better not to choose that... really loads of problems. Needless to say the hope of collecting the keys earlier than the estimated date is completely dashed.cos usually delay i guess will be at least half a year to one year. Read from this thread that one of hdb T&C (fine print)states that they have the "right" to delay up to one year. I felt very sorry for the ppl at Fernvale cos i know how they are feeling.
I have seen the sembawang site. very nice. The blks is ard a park right ? my site is a standard unit. All the units there are standard. I am getting a four room and the layout is better in my opinion compare to the four room in site c.

jc_makeup

oh are u ppl referring the blocks under construction(behind the chinese temples)?
I'm staying ard there, the cluster of blocks opp the temples... We will be neighbours soon ^_^

yellow

Hi elaine and Dolphin (esp),

Yes I mean the blocks opposite rivervale mall, I've chosen a unit during the last WIS exercise. The contract period stated at the Site board stated May 2004. Although HDB commited that the ECD is around Nov 2004. I doubt about the date of completion if chip huat is heavily involved in debts.

so sad
sad.gif

elaine77

Hi yellow,dolphin

Yah.. i agree with both of you, i did not know that they were under chip huat until yesterday i saw your posting. My goodness thier construction on fernvale also stopped.. i dun know how much will ours be affected. Very disappointed to see the flat building so slow, we thought we can take the keys by june 04, from the situation i see now its quite impossible. I have called HDB and they say if there is a delay or early, they will informed us by end of this year, if not the completation date will be as so.

Have u both got married? When is your customary? Actually my hubby and i have planned to have our customary soon after we got our keys and after reno, smoothly move into the flat. But if the flat delay, we cant delay our customary too if wait for the flat to complete also dun know why,we are in such dilemna.. so sian right.

tweetie

Hi Elaine and Dolphin,

I have also chosen the rivervale crescent under the WIS and my block is 150. I went there a month back and really....i think the construction process is very slow.... I have this hunch feeling the earliest we can get the flat is only in Dec 04. If not, should be early 05, i hope.

Then i got no choice, i will have to stay with my inlaws for the time being. How abt u girls? I think i have the same problem as elaine77. I hope for it to come early, but also hope for it to come late so that we can still stretch our finances by a bit. But dunno leh, dilemma.

elaine77

HI Tweetie,

Im also in a dilemna.. headache right.. same as you, worst come to worst if it delay i will stay with my in-laws first but i dun really like it. I hope that it will come earlier but looks like its quite impossible. My block is 155, yours is a 4-room?

piper

hi hi...

I've also selected a unit there...mine's in blk 155, same as elaine...

elaine, we'll be neighbours...
happy.gif

The last time I logged into HDB website to check the estimated date of completion, it still states Nov 2004.

Judging from the previous speed, the construction takes about 1 month for each floor...and after the entire block is completed, it'll take another 3 months for the exterior & interior...
So right now it's on the 8th floor, 7 more floors to go..tat means hopefully, we'll take our keys in 10-11 months time...

esp

Hi JC,

So you staying at Rivervale view ? i have a friend who stays there too.

Hi yellow,

Yes, chip huat is being sue for bankrupt by its suppliers. It came out in the news abt one month ago.

Elaine,

think you are mistaken. Chip huat is taking our project and for fernvale case it is another contractor, not chip huat. May i know who you call at hdb ? I recently calle Ms Ho Pei Sze got her contact from the fernvale thread and she only told me that there is no update from the contractor. There was once (after i read abt the chip huat case in newspaper sometime earlier this month) i called the hdb reception and was told that there is a possibilty that it could be delay up to a year. then later when i called the customer service side they said that there is no such update. I dun know who to believe now. So hdb told you that if there is any changes on the EDC they will inform you by this year end ?

I have rom already. Just waiting for my flat to come. After setting into our nest then plan for wedding. Looks like becos of this i have to push back my plan. will see how things go. I have choose blk 156.really sian already. I choose the flat in sep 2001 during the bto launch.

well we are all facing the same problems. i too do not like to stay with my ILS.

babbit

Hi gals,
Was reading all the threads pertaining to SK.... Really feel sad for u guys. I was luckier, I joined the WIS last October and managed to get those flats that are ready. At that time, was a bit upset that the flats are already a few years old but now looking back... Thank goodness i don't have to go thru what u ladies have to go thru now.
But i agree.... HDB can be *@+#!?~*. Have alot of problems when i need them to rectify all the defects in my premium flat.

tweetie

Hi elaine77 and Dolphin,

It really seems like a big headache for us. But we are still gg ahead with the traditional wedding in Dec 04 lor... no choice lar... At 1st we chose this flat was also considering the fact that we didn't want the house too early. Now i think the house will cometoo late.....

Anyone same with me in Block 150.

elaine77

Hi everyone,

dolphin, ohh.. ic.. hehe.. mistaken. I dun know whats the officer name because i just go through the mail operating system and it connects to an officer. She told me that there are no news on delay of the flats but i dun know how true issit lor but she say if theres a delay, HDB will have send us a letter if not wait til end of the year when they revised the ECD date.

tweeti, yah man but i will still go ahead with my customary wedding either end of 04 or early 05. Actually i have the same thinking as u but now i hope it comes earlier if not like something not done.

piper.. hey.. its me, we chat at chatroom before
happy.gif
. I also calculate the way you does but after 6 months which i took from the WIS during march, it has only move up by 2 levels which is very slow.

well.. just hope that they will speed up the construction, what we do know is just wild-guessing if it will delay, theres no confirmation saying that it will delay means theres still hope! U all think issit usefull to complain to HDB?

tripp

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,211689,00.html?

Contractor in the red, stops building in Sengkang
By Leong Pik Yin

WORK on seven new 17-storey blocks at Rivervale Crescent in Sengkang has come to a complete halt -- the fifth Housing Board delay this year.

Scheduled for completion in November next year, the handover of keys to the 700-odd homebuyers is now expected to be delayed.

It is not clear when actual delivery will be, but The Straits Times understands that efforts will be made by the HDB to help those affected by any delay to find alternative accommodation.

They will either be given alternative flats or temporary rental flats.

The latest delay, like those before it, has been blamed on the financial woes of the contractors.

This time round, it is 24-year-old construction firm Chip Huat Construction which is facing financial meltdown. It was granted judicial management on Friday after struggling for months to deal with debts totalling S$14.3 million, as well as lawsuits and demands for payment by suppliers and sub-contractors.

Read The Straits Times on Saturday for the full story.

tripp

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,211741,00.html?

HDB PROJECT
One more delay
Construction at Sengkang blocks halted as contractor faces financial meltdown

By Leong Pik Yin

WORK on seven new 17-storey blocks at Rivervale Crescent in Sengkang has come to a complete halt - the fifth Housing Board delay this year.

SLOW, SLOW WORK

A SNAPSHOT of building and upgrading delays over the past four months.

• MARINE TERRACE
Project: Nine blocks at Marine Terrace undergoing Main Upgrading Programme
Original completion date: Next June
Delay: Possibly two months

• PUNGGOL FIELD
Project: Seven new blocks at Punggol Field
Original completion date: Third quarter of this year
Delay: Three to 11 months

• PUNGGOL CENTRAL
Project: 612 new flats at Punggol Central
Original completion date: April this year
Delay: Three months; the project was completed in July

• FERNVALE ROAD
Project: Five new blocks at Fernvale Road
Original completion date: Between this November and next February
Delay: Five to 10 months

• RIVERVALE CRESENT
Project: Seven new blocks at Rivervale Crescent
Original completion date: November next year
Delay: To be confirmed

Scheduled for completion in November next year, the handover of keys to the 700-odd homebuyers is now expected to be delayed.

It is not clear when actual delivery will be, but The Straits Times understands that efforts will be made by the HDB to help those affected by any delay to find alternative accommodation.

They will either be given alternative flats or temporary rental flats.

The latest delay, like those before it, has been blamed on the financial woes of the contractors.

This time round, it is 24-year-old construction firm Chip Huat Construction which is facing financial meltdown.

The contractor of the Rivervale Crescent project, was granted judicial management yesterday after struggling for months to deal with debts totalling $14.3 million, as well as lawsuits and demands for payment by suppliers and sub-contractors.

Some of its creditors had told the company that they would stop supplying materials or doing work for the Sengkang project, while a few insisted on cash payment, causing work to stop about three weeks ago.

Chip Huat, a familiar name in the industry, had taken on numerous HDB projects, including building and electrical works in Sembawang, Jurong West, Bishan North and Pasir Ris.

The company, which made a net profit of $1.87 million in 1999, however booked a loss of $326,820 the following year, a check with the Registry of Companies and Businesses showed.

Chip Huat's spectacular fall is, however, not unusual.

Just six days earlier, an HDB project at Fernvale Road, also in Sengkang, was reported as being delayed by almost a year.

That development was left only 90 per cent complete because its main contractor, Malaysia's Koru Bena, had run into difficulties and was being replaced.

Then, of course, there's the infamous delay in upgrading works in Marine Terrace which not only sparked a debate in Parliament, but also resulted in a review of the tendering process for contractors.

Hit by a triple whammy of low profit margins, a slowing economy and cut-throat competition, the construction industry has halved to just about $13 billion.

In the first three months of this year, six building and civil contractors have shut their doors.

Ms Penny Low, an MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC who represents the Rivervale Crescent area, called for those affected by the latest delay to be understanding.

'The economic condition has caused many companies to go under and the construction industry has been badly hit. While my sympathy and heart are with the consumers, my plea to them is not to be hard and harsh, but to work together with the HDB for a solution.'

She said that she had yet to receive any complaints from those who had been affected.

But, she said she hoped the HDB would put 'Plan B into action quickly or it won't be very palatable for those who are waiting for their flats'.

She said: 'Some could be stranded without a place to stay.'

ang_gu

hi all,
just to let you know, dun take those ppl from HDB hotline for granted, they are those that usually sit at the counter in the HDB lobby. I called to ask about the same thing on different occasion and i always get something different or extra which doesn't tally with wat the previous caller told me. Trust only those who sits inside the cubicle, they are the 'officer' whom really knows their stuff and more polite and professional. They are the people that those hotline ppl will ask if they are nt sure themselves. So, if you really want someone u can trust, say you wan to speak to the offficer in charge instead.

ang_gu

Hi all,
just in case any of you wondering if i have spoken to any officer on Rivervale, the answer is 'NO' coz i am nt from Rivervale, mine is from Site A Sembawang. But I did spoke to officers from HDB regarding other issues when i went there directly rather than calling. Hotline ppl can't be trusted. Another Sembawang project going to be halted. Better to pester them else all attention given to Fernvale oni..
happy.gif

elaine77

Hi yellow,

I have spoken to a front-desk officer and you must tell them your problem and they will transfer you to the suitablet officer, i forget his name, its a guy.. i think he is the project manager. He is very patient and slowly explain to me the situation and what hdb corporation can do for us. So, I ask him about the situation for RIvervale residents. For my case, they will not grant us a flat for re-selection because there are still plenty of time for us to make preparation. But other alternative that we can do is transition rental if we really urgently need a place to say. What we have to do is to submit proof that we are getting married, all the receipts that we have booked for the banquet and other stuffs and write-in a letter to HDB. We will pay only 60% of the rental price, HDB will be subsidise the other 40%.

I find the rental price quite reasonable but theres alot of hassle like paper work, i have not decide what to do yet, my hubby now reservist, will decide after that.

yellow.. what do u have in mind?

yellow

I've went down to HDB, listened to what the officer said and seems that we are not left with any good alternative. Their attention are more focused on fernvale residence rather than rivervale residence. As what elaine77 have mentioned, they reckon they have given us ample time. Well I feel no matter how much time they have given in advance, we are still affected by the delay.

I heard the review for each case will take months. With the time and effort spent, I guess we will be waiting for the flat to be ready in June'05.

Hopefully, there are no further delays.

esp

Hi Elaine and Yellow,

You mean the hdb did not give you any units for re selection ? or are you guys given choice but find them unsuitable for your liking ? Did you guys ask for mature estate or not matured estate ?

elaine77

Hi everyone,
Lucky that this thread is still alive.. hehee.. actually i was quite bothered by the delay of the flat because my hubby friend staying at the opposite blocks said that theres no construction yet and im so disappointed by HDB. Therefore i did not read this thread, dolphin, pai seh, did not see your msg.

dolphin, i did not ask about the re-selection thing because my hubby not interested in selecting other areas, he wants this place so we wait lor. Its good that they have confirmed a new contractor, SIm Lim construction is quite a well-known contractor, a few EC and condos are done under them. Hopefully the construction will be done smoothly with no delay
happy.gif
So are u preparing for your wedding also?

esp

Hi Elaine,

Ya. Really hope things go well this time. Yes, i read about their profile. Not really planning at this moment. Well, i guess my wedding will be like a sudden bolt of thunder type. hahah

elaine77

Hi dolphin,

yah lor.. hope that everythings goes well for the construction. I have given up hope on it liao.. just see hows things goes but my hubby still full of hope lor.. he die die also want this flat.. dun know why he like it so much, he find it troublesome to go down HDB.. tok to the pple and ask for some other choices so we decide to wait.

hahaa.. sudden bolt of thunder.. not bad leh..exciting.. both of us have the tendency to plan things ahead, so now free we will go for some bridal shopping.. furniture shopping.. just look see.. look see.. chinese say 'wang mei zi ke'
happy.gif

brambles

hi everyone, happened to stumble upon this thread by chance.

i'm oso one of those affected by the delay at Rivervale Cres. i'm staying in blk 154. anyone staying in the same blk?

juz a thought... are most of u gonna take the transition housing offered by HDB while waiting for our site to complete construction?

me and my hubby were juz thinking that renting flat is like throwing money into the sea... sigh! headache! we have planned to hold our customary nx year according to the Nov 04 ECD that HDB told us...

yellow

hi brambles, for my case I guess we will be waiting for the flat to be complete instead of taking up the transition housing offers or renting of flats.

Anyone knows if the new contractor have started work onsite? Would be useful if someone could update us on the new ECD stated on the signboard.

brambles

hi yellow... which blk hv u selected? nice to know neighbours...
happy.gif

yah... it'd be nice if someone who's been there lately could tell us if the new contractor has started work onsite.

esp

Hi Brambles, nice to know you. i will be staying in Blk 156.

Hi Yellow,

Did HDB give you choices on rental units ?

Shall update you guys if i drop by Sengkang (my fh sis stays there)

brambles

hi dolphin & yellow... nice to know u both too!
happy.gif

hv u all tried enquiring bout transitional hsing frm HDB? i tried enquiring sometime ago but they said that it's still too early loh since our ECD is supposed to b Dec nx yr
sad.gif

okie dokiez! dolphin, do let us know if the construction company has already commenced works! (i sure hope they have)
happy.gif

yellow

Hi dolphin,

Nope I wasn't given the choices on rental units bcos HDB needs a lot of prove eg the hotel banquet booking letters and etc in order to appeal for the subsidised rates or so. Too troublesome, moreover I guess the rental units might not be the area we are comfortable.

esp

Hi yellow,

i had thought abt it for a while. but came to think abt it ... yes, the environment and security reasons on renting flats in very mature estate worrys me. and as brambles said it is like throwing your money into the sea. I did request to hdb for choices of flats... for Sengkang area only given fernvale and very limited choices. Punggol also given some units but not very ideal cos of the location. : (

Hi Brambles,

are you aware of the delay from Nov 2004 to June 2005 ???

brambles

hi dolphin... yup, i'm aware of the delay. so sad. my FH n i were so looking forward to getting our flat nx year
sad.gif

wat do u mean by security reasons on renting flat in v mature estate worrying u? thot mature estates shld b relatively safe as occupancy is almost full? ;p

dolphin... u mean hdb gave u fernvale as one of the choices for reselection? we did as hdb for a list too but weren't given fernvale at all. only limited units in sengkang and punggol area and like u said... the location weren't as ideal
sad.gif

piper

hello people,

I've also selected a unit at Blk 155. At first, i thought I'll only be staying with my in-laws for about 1 year after my wedding next month. But now, it seems like I'll need to stay with them for another yr or so.

Now, I'm no longer looking forward having my own house after all the delays & adverse reports of faulty flats in SK. The only choice we have now is to wait patiently for the construction to be completed.

HDB does not allow us to cancel the booking or to transfer the deposits paid to another unit right? My aunt is selling her 4-room flat and we are thinking if we can buy over her unit instead. Does anyone know the rules?

brambles

hi piper... nice to know another neighbour
happy.gif

if i'm not wrong, HDB will forfeit the deposit shld u decide to take resale flats. however, do hear frm my fren that u can write a letter to appeal to take back the deposits paid. however, there's no guarantee that the appeal will be successful. mite hv to call hdb to double check loh
happy.gif

so far... still looking forward to hving my own hse. except dunno where. sigh!

esp

hi piper,

I had check with hdb on that issue before. you will not forfeit your deposit but you need to forfeit three times the booking fee ($2000 X 3) plus all the document fees that total up to about $7000+

Hi brambles.
maybe you can drop your email here and i write to you on that question. or can email me at [email protected]
Regarding the fernvale issue, we are given five units to choose from and we requested for mature estate and was given that too. but very limited choice.

Good news ladies,
i have a relative who stay opposite our site and she told my mum that work by the new contractor had commence....

yellow

Hi dolphin,

In what siutation would HDB let us choose the remaining flats like Punggol or etc? Did they ask you to provide prove of banquet booking? We had likings on punggol's flat actually
happy.gif
. Was the location for punggol good?

brambles

hi dolphin,

that's indeed good news!!!!!! shall go tell my hubby. thanks!!!
happy.gif

hv dropped u an email oredi!
happy.gif

thanks!

elaine77

Hi ladies,

Im delighted to see this thread back in action again.. hehe.. i was at SK these few days but i did not find any construction going leh maybe the timing that i was there.. they were not working.
Mine is the same block as piper.. blk 155. Same as her.. im no longer excited about my flat and will delay my customary abit. Im trapped in going ahead with my customary or wait til my flat to be here. Anyway.. i have lost faith in them, dun believe that they will give the flat to us earlier den the revised estimated date they have give to us. My hubby is very positive about it but im not lor.. so kind of sian.. hehe but know from this thread that same gals are in the forum is also having this problem.. at least have a place for us to chit chat and complain about..
happy.gif

dolphin.. u mean we cant rent an apartment ourselves but have to take what they offer? So far where did they offer u? Im actually quite worried that the rented flat that they gave us.. worried that they will give those ulu ulu place and not in good condition.. my friend has an flat at punggol.. they are looking for pple to rent the flat.. she is willing to rent to me but i need to check with HDB the procedure.. if we rent ourselves den no subsidise?.. sorry for asking so many qns
happy.gif

esp

Hi yellow,

Due to the delay they allowed us to choose other flats cos they cant deliver as promise. That was after the delay was announce sometime in end sep. HDB mention that it is needed to provide proof and we also need to write in to them.

Hi elaine,
i am not very sure abt the rental part. Maybe you can check with hdb. The only regret i have is not buying a resale before the new flat come. I mean after i apply for the flat i can buy a resale and stay there until the hse ready then i sell. Now it is impossible cos if you get a resale you need to stay there minimum two and a half years. Well, i think everyone here is so sian liao... i am already immune to it man.. no longer wana think abt it. just hope that things will turn out well. We cant control such things also right ? I personally find renting flat a hassle and financial burden cos at the end of the day, it is still other ppl property.

piper

hi dolphin,

Thanks for the info.

If I were to buy a resale flat, would i still be entitled to the $30K grant?

Also, will I be able to transfer tat 10% downpayment which i've paid to the resale flat? My hubbby & I had tried to call the HDB officer assigned to us but no replies have been received from him so far. I'm beginning to wonder if such a person exist! Tat's how "professional" or "helpful" HDB's been so far!!

esp

Hi piper,

I think you should still be able to take the 40k grant since it is a resale? So now HDB is giving 40k or 30k for near parents grant ? Seems like getting less and less grant. Reagrding the transfer of the deposit, think you should be able to work things out with hdb. Did you get the name of the person at hdb serving you ? advisable to go back to the same person who serve you so that she can follow up on your case.

piper

Hi dolphin,

the problem is, we never get the chance to speak to this person.

He's either off-duty or he simply won't reply to our phone messages. My hubby has left a few messages in his voicemail. Tat is why I'm wondering if the person do exist!

If i'm not mistaken, the first time flat ownership grant is $30K and if it's near parents, it'll be $40K.

Hopefully, we can catch hold of this elusive officer once of these days & find out more info from him.

esp

Hi piper,

Why not you call the hdb hotline tel: 1800 8663066
and ask them for another customer officer to handle your case. or ask to speak with the more authority ppl. you need to push them a bit lor in this case.

piper

Hi dolphin,

Thanks! I called tat number & complain to the officer tat the one assigned to us is not doing his job. And I simply refused to be left with another message with tat assigned officer anymore. Luckily, the lady who answered my call was very nice. She listened to my story & answered all my questions.

She say we'll be able to get back the deposit which we've paid nett of 3 times the booking fee. All other stamp duties & watsoever will be forfeited. If we really want to purchase a resale flat, we'll have to write in to cancel our existing booking first. Then we'll be able to go ahead with our resale flat purchase. We'll still be entitled to the grant-$30K & if near parents, $40K.

esp

Hi piper,

You mean you guys are able to get back your deposit ? So do you need to forfeit three times the booking fee for the cancellation ?

brambles

hi fellow neighbours... juz an update.

went down to rivervale crescent over the wkend. yes, construction works has commenced.

the ECD stated is still May 04? not sure if it's b'cos they haven't changed it or b'cos the new construction company is 'confident' of meeting this original ECD?

but still... it's good news that works have commenced

cheers!
happy.gif