Sengkang Rivervale 150 series (Chip Huat Construction)

rvc15x

Hi All,
I'm back!

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum. N also to kookie.

Hi Trekker,
Think Ben lives in my block, its 155 he mentioned in his earlier posts.
wondering he lives on which floor?

kookiemonster

Hi snowman!

Hi everyone,
Need some tips here. My contractor asked to set aside about $1K for electrical wiring. Is that too much? What is the market rate? Another thing, i'm going to have L-box. Do they charge extra for the wiring?

trekkerb

Hi KookieMonster,

How intensive is ur wiring? Depends on how many power points u need to change/install/remove.

Is he talking abt the lightings instead? 1K sounds abt right for the lightings.

kookiemonster

Hi Trekker,
I think for our flats, wiring all done right. The only additional is the L-box if we're doing it. No, i'm not talking about lighting. It's about wiring. Hmm... i think i found out regarding they charge per point for the market rate.

Want to ask you guys...is paying $1.2K for a designer built-in shoe cabinet (around 5 to 6FT) worth it? Or can get cheaper?

By the way, anyone bought stuffs from Gain City?

trekkerb

Kookie,

The flat comes with standard wiring. If you are looking to do L-box, i believe the price shd not be that expensive.

1.2K cabinet? Well, it depends on the materials used & how complicated is the design.

kookiemonster

Trekker,
Been checking around the "rate" for L-box and how much ppl have been spending on lights. As i'm trying to keep my reno at minimal and low as possible, now thinking whether it's worth to have L-box or not. Told my contractor, i shall still consider the cabinet. See whether the design is worthwhile spending. It's a good space saver and safer for my baby. (So my baby don't keep toppling the shoe rack). Still weighing the pros & cons...

mr_ben

Hey kookie,
I only changed the positions of my light switches in the kitchen. Dun really recall my contracter charging me for it.

hey Trekker,
I stay in Blk 155 11 floor. So far still quite 'heng'.

Hey DJ,
I dun knoe abt the rest but my place have a lot of funny insects! Believe it or not, i even have bats flew into my living room twice!! Kind of freak my wife off!!!

spyder

bats? ben is in block 155 #11 right? er.. anyone else in 155 got such reports? eee... hyde take note... ben you have window grilles installed?

jendome

Ben,
U sure? Bats in blk 155....... hopefully it wouldnt bit or do you need to get any environmental authority to come to inspect the area?
But the area really lots of inserts crawling in the morning, but it will disappear in the evening time, strange meh......

BATS? Ben, our area so ulu got bats mah? Many fruit trees around? I wonder where they come from. I don't know about bats and the last time I saw one was in a cave in M'sia!
happy.gif
That's a strange one indeed.

Jenn,
The crawly things are at the void deck and not in the apt, right? I dread to see the apt if it's gonna have creepy crawlies. I can only imagine all the nests that would build up in our apt after 2 yrs. It'll become insect central! Good for school science project.

Kookiemonster,
Do people use the bomb shelter as a storage area for shoes? Maybe you can put the shoes there and can use shoe racks inside, so your child can't get to the shoes and it'll be cheaper than making a shoe cabinet? Alternatively, I think some places sell shoe cabinets, right? My in-laws have a ready-made shoe cabinet and my niece grew up at their place. So far, no complaints and it's probably cheaper than 1.2K. Oh, and I don't know if it's done in our neighbourhood, but I remember seeing people put shoe-racks outside their apts, by the main door...do people do that? Shoes and rack will be safe from baby but strangers and walk off with them
happy.gif

kookiemonster

DJ444,
Yeah..i don't know why. Those older neighbours along my corridor buy shoeracks and put outside. Then their plants no space, put along my corridor. Cheeze... but can't be bothered to tell them lah. Wait they later think, we young couples trying to be ya-ya. *trying to live peacefully with them. But the younger couples along my corridor don't put their shoe rack outside. Totally nothing outside not even a single plant. Hmm... younger couples no time to water plants?
biggrin.gif

The bomb shelter will already be used to store other things. I think if really so sway kena bomb, by the time we really want to hide there, cannot move inside much also. Too many things. I really feel the bomb shelter in each house is such a waste of space!! Argh!!
Ben,
I think for mine is the running of the additional points for the L-box lights. Worse case if i really want to cut costs, just go without it lah.

Before my friend moved into her place, when it just TOPed, her neighbour started to put things into her "half" (like bicycle and stuff). I have a strong feeling that my neighbour would love us (not being around) for the next two years until we start our reno. I would have to learn from y'all how you handle these situations.

It'll be a problem after a while. My mom has had a neighbour for over 10 yrs who does something everything that irritates my mom. It only lasts 30mins and if she doesn't go out during that time, she wouldn't even know anything happened. But after 10 yrs.... she really goes on and on about it when ever she encounters it - which could be everyday. And she still hasn't told the neighbour.
happy.gif

tarepiggy

Hi Kookie, trekker is rite, cost of the shoe cabinet depends on the design & material used. It depends on the length too, I design mine, it's a 8-ft one, using laminate wood, cost us abt 1k.

tarepiggy

Here's the interior...

338616.jpg

338617.jpg

I asked my carpenter to add metal bars in the tall segment for us to hang long umbrella; and also to make divisions in the drawers for putting socks.

On average, my carpenter charged me abt $120 per ft inclusive of the bench extension and the interior requirements. I think it may be kinda hard to gauge and compare whether ur ID charge u exp or not, cos ur design may be very unqiue and material used may be of more exp category than laminate like veneer. So why not ask your ID to break down and explain the cost to you. Most importantly is you like what you are going to get and will find it useful. Hope my pixs help =)

Mudpie, lovely pictures!
happy.gif
I like your cabinet, it looks really useful and well thought-out. And I love the colour of your walls
happy.gif
Can I visit you?
happy.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here's wishing everyone a good 2006!

tarepiggy

Here's wishing all a blessed Happy New Year 2006!
May God bless you with hope, peace, love, joy and faith in whatever you do in the coming new year! =D

tarepiggy

Hi DJ, of cos, u are most welcome to visit me when u r back in Sin. How long will u be back? I'll not be around on 14-15 Jan weekend as i'll be going away for a church retreat. U hv our contact list ya ... just gimmi a call in advance if u wanna pop over! =D

kookiemonster

Hi Mudpie,
Thanks for the photos and the tips! Very useful. Especially after looking at the photos. I think like what you said, must ask my contractor what kind of material he using. He did mentioned to me about there'll be a place for me to hang umbrellas, to put sock etc... but there isn't a small bench like yours. Your design is baby-friendly!! Don't worry if you have a baby one day. Coz there are no handles or knobs for the baby to open up. Hehehe...make it harder for them to keep opening & closing the drawers / cupboards.
Which block you live?? When i'm in sengkang, can i drop by to your place too?? Good to know someone living nearby me!
Oh... by the way, Happy New Year!!!

DJ444,
Yah..we can learn from each other how to handle "sensitive" situation like this on neighbours. Hmm.. so far, i saw that i have housewife neighbours. :p But i think if we're busy working, won't have the time to bump into them so lesser friction. Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year to Everyone!!

mr_ben

Spyder,
My place have no window grills. Wanted it but felt quite "imprisoned" by it. Wait till i have kids first.

Wat abt the rest?
Btw, anyone else have bats flying into their place?

tarepiggy

Hi Kookie, my place is at blk 153, but i won't officially move in yet till my wedding tis year Dec. Would only be there on some weekends. Why not u email me at [email protected], i will email u my hp no. so that u can sms me to see if i'm around at Sengkang when you go ur flat! =D

spyder

ben,
same feeling, but i went ahead becoz i wanted everything to be settled once and for all... heh...

anyway, i have yet to move in yet becoz its still under renovation, carpentry left... so a few more weeks before you'll see me moving stuff in... :D

Hello,

need help on 2 things. First, would like to find out if you have received your utility bill and if they charge you any flat fees for water/gas. We wondering if we should turn on the power/water in our apt when we get the keys. We won't be there for a while and if there's a monthly charge regardless, we'd probably not activate anything just yet.

Mudpie, maybe you can shed some light since you don't stay at your place yet...you'd know if they charge you some exhorbitant fee.
happy.gif

Also, wondering if anyone knows where we can rent a car for about a month. Stay in Singapore might be prolonged because of work commitments, so...as my husband says..."boh lian4", sigh.

Thanks y'all!

g_apple

Hi DJ

U need to activate your electrical & water supply during the reno. Upon activation, you will hv to pay a deposit of $70 / $100 depending on your payment mode ($70 by GIRO / $100 by other method)when they send u the first bill.

There will be a monthly charge of the sanitary for the 2 toilets and the refusal charge. Think the former is abt $3 each and the latter is $8.

You need not activate the gas until u need it but must ask them to connect the gas pipes b4 your kithen cabinet are up. Think there is a charge of $70 or $80 for this service.

As for car, if u need it everyday, maybe can try Hertz, avis or alternatively join the NTUC income car sharing program.

http://www.carcoop.com.sg

rvc15x

Hi DJ,

Ooops! I nearly missed out.
Can try one of the car rental that I use to frequent but the location is quite far out lah.
http://www.chans.com.sg

Can call to find out their rates which at times is lower than the actual publicised.
And if you gonna rent it for a month.
Think they will give you better offer.

rvc15x

Dear All,
Been quite a while since I last visited the forum.
Alot of updates.

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum.
Think you are one of the early birds to move into our block right?

mr_ben

Hi Snowman,
Think u are correct abt tat. I moved in at around Sept 05. Wat abt u? And which blk u are in?

DJ,
Would like to share with abt my gas pipe. I only on my gas pipe after i put up my kitchen cabinets. However, wat happen is tat my gas pipe was found to be leaking gas!! I have to take out one of the the cabinet and my contracter is nice enough not to charge me a single cent for it. Later, i found out from the repairman tat there are quite a number of units facing tis problem esp our area.

kookiemonster

Hi Mudpie,
Okie..will email you! Thanks!
happy.gif
Great to know another someone living nearby me.

Hmm...seems most of you haven't move in leh. No wonder when i go back there, seems so quiet.

Hi DJ,
I only activated the water for the contractor to do the cement screeding. But i still haven't activate the electricity yet. I think once you start reno, gotta activate those already.

Green apple, snowman, Ben and KookieMonster,

Thank you for your advice on the gas/water/electricity thing.
happy.gif
I guess we'll have to discuss and see if we'll be doing screeding this time round. IF we are we'll have to activate the water. I guess once we activate the water, we'll have to pay at least $14/mth?

Ben, sorry to hear that your gas pipe leaked. Must have been some horror story!

Thanks also to snowman and green apple for the car rental links. Will check them out
happy.gif

I got a quote from a rental company yesterday and it came to $1300 for the time we're home and $800 excess. Though I don't know what "excess" means. Anyway, i told my husband. For $1500, I can take many cab rides...
happy.gif
100 if the average cost of a cab ride is $15. But of course, it won't be as convenient....see how lor... but thank you for the contacts!

piper

hello everyone....

been quite some time since I last posted...we've shifted in since mid-Dec...so far so good...but I find the place gets dusty quite easily. So gotta be diligent to clean up often.

But we've been awaken by some inconsiderate neighbours every morn...at about 6.30 am. They'll bang the door hard when closing it. Been hearing it for the past 1 week or so. Even thou they only did it once every morn, but it's quite irritating coz it really wake us up suddenly. Hopefully they'll stop banging the door or get those 3M bumpons to lessen the noise level.

Hello!

The next time I come online would probably be after I see our SK apt
happy.gif
Flying back in a few hours.

Take care and all the best!

spyder

hi piper... you are in 155 block right? i guess its hyde & mine flat creating all the dust... heh... sorry about tat... gonna be over soon, i will be getting back my keys from my contractor next weekend. :D hope to start moving some furniture over soon...

mr_ben

Piper,
U are in Blk 155. Same here! And i leave home at abt 6.30 every morning! Wat a concidence. Hope i am not the one tat bang the doors hard. Which floor do u stay?

mr_ben

Spyder,
An advice for u. As it is raining heavily tis few days, it s good tat u go back and take a look at your walls. If there is any water mark or stain, it may means tat your wall may have crack. Think it is better to find out now when your contracter is still holding the keys.

piper

hi spyder,

i think the dust is not fm the reno. it's like very tiny balls of cotton/fur. need to vacuum...sweeping just relocate the balls of fur fm one place to another.

Hi Mr Ben,

I'm staying directly above u.
biggrin.gif

mr_ben

Hi Piper,
I believe i have met your wife then. BTW i really hope tat i am not the one who wakes u up at 6.30 am cos tat is abt the time i leave home.

BTW, did your contracter tell u wat happen bet them and me?

piper

Hi Mr Ben,

We hv some rough idea about what happened btw our contractors & yrself. But as our contractor had not started on the kitchen at tat time, they quickly call HDB officers to go take a look & rectify the problem. Hope ur kitchen ceiling is ok now.

spyder

mr ben, thanks. so far, i think its been quite okay. went up these few days. didnt see any leakage. but found some water near my toilet bowl... trying to find out where its from...

ms piper, thanks for the info... er... animal hair? funny... hmmm...

anyway, my reno is almost complete... carpentry process now... wondering when i can really take a good look, today, saw my divider for living room done wrongly! shocked... gotta get them to re-do... sigh... hope wont affect the handover date...

rvc15x

Hi Piper,

Normally accompany my wife out at abt 6.05am din hear the banging of doors at 6.30am.
Do u still hear it these few days?

bb123

Hi,

Had been some time since logged in, we got some new neighbours.
happy.gif

Wow etnt, that sounds really scary, thanks for the warning.

Hope everyone is getting on well.
happy.gif

spyder

hi etnt. hope everything is okay now.

so far, 2 bat attack cases? aiyoh... scary...

hope the window grilles i invested in can protect me... lol...

mr_ben

Piper,
Everything is ok now. Juz tat when u start your reno, my kitchen ceiling and living room ceiling begins to crack and the kitchen ceiling leaks water. Settle with the HDB people already.

Hi snowman!
Nice to know another person from our block.

Hi Etnt,
I totally understand how u feel. They flew in from my living room, hoover a few rounds then go off from my kitchen. Totally freak my wife off!