Sengkang Rivervale 150 series (Chip Huat Construction)

mr_ben

Hey Kookiemonster,
I can pass u my contracter if u wan. Very reliable but dun expect an interior designer. Typical chinese uncle but very practical.

tarepiggy

My hse reno is finally completed liao!
U guyz r rite!!! The cleaning up part is really siong & never ending .... haizzzz...

tarepiggy

Hey Mosiac_fish ... sorrie din see ur thread till now cos i went to "chalet" in our new hse on Fri nite & only back last nite!

If anyone wanna pop over, pls feel free, I will be there:
- Whole day on Thur & stay over till Fri nite
- After 11pm on Xmas Eve (Having xmas party till 3am ... come over if u hv not zzz yet)
- After 10pm on Xmas day till 11am on Boxing Day

I won't be logging in while there so dun shy ... just pop over if u like =D

tarepiggy

The latest RVC Contact List has been emailed to those in the loop ... with the newest addition of DJ444!

We hv a network of 20 members now!!! ... hee

spyder

wow. mudpie announcing open house liao. somemore got opening hours. remember to buy your tickets people. 20 members in RVC...
happy.gif
are we going to get some membership card or something to flash before entering any member's house? LOL... my place hopefully can be completed before CNY... *prays hard* starting to get really really scared about the cleaning up, packing & unpacking liao...

kookiemonster

hi Ben,
Sure will be glad if you can recommend. Did you use Ho Bee? I've been going around getting quotations. But the problem is i'm not sure of their workmanship.

mr_ben

Eh.. wat is Ho Bee? Do u mean Hoe Kee? Anyway my contracter number is 97542767. His name is Toh. Tell him my name. Tat may help a bit.

hydeto

Hi Kook, I'm currently using Ho Bee.
His qoute quite ok, as for workmanship not very sure althot many good reviews from the forum for Ho Bee. One of the reason I choose Ho Bee.
Will know Ho Bee workmanship good or not soon as I'm in the mid of renovation.

hydeto

etnt, you are using XR55 right now right.
How's the performance? And any problem with the step down? Was worrying if the step down transformance goes faulty someday then causing the XR55 problem.

etnt

performance is good. no prob with the stepdown, I'm using a newstar 300w one. As with all elect, it's a matter of heng-suay lor.

etnt

haha, not rocket lar, ht.

hyde, maybe you can checkout piper's setup also (if she dun mind) which I believe are pio's flagships.

piper

hmm...XR55, stepdown, newstar 300w....sounds like some alien language to me.

If my deduction is correct, u all toking abt sound system issit? If that's the case, then gotta look for my hubby.....he's the one who "playing" with such stuff.

hydeto

Glad to hear that there are ppl around the neighbourhood who are into home theatre as I'm quite new to it.

etnt, where did you bought your XR55? Online purchase from Amazon?

Currently have some Jamo and Missions speakers (5-8years old) by my dad from my current house, intend to bring over to my new flat so need a Receiver/Amp for them. Guess will need some tips n advise from you more next time no more detail stuffs.

spyder

wow... expensive sound systems experts going on here... okay okay... seems like i found the place for the world cup 2006 liao... hehehe...

OH! We got our appt date to collect our keys.
happy.gif
Jan 13. So we'll probably pop by that evening and maybe even that very weekend...if we're awake
happy.gif

Just sharing the happy news...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

kookiemonster

hi hyde,
You using Ho Bee? Who's handling your renovation? Yeah..read from the thread of Ho Bee that it's good. How much your reno cost? When you finish reno, can i pop by to see?

hi Ben,
Thanks for recommending me. I saw that name before through the handout book on HDB listed contractors. How much your reno cost? So you tell the contractor specifically want you want? But how about the materials selection & design? Go according to your taste or the contractor just do it up?

hi DJ,
Congrats on your collection of keys! Which block you staying?

1. hmm...seems you guys talking about sound systems. Any of you buying LCD tv? Would like to know what criteria do you based on the selection of an LCD tv?

2. I was quote kitchen cabinet about $4000+ with black granite top. You guys think expensive?

mr_ben

Hey Kookie,
My reno cost abt 19K. But it is homogenous tiles throughout the whole house. My wife and i will tell him wat we wanted and he will come out with some ideas. In short, we present him wat we wanted and he will tell us whether is it practical or not. Anyway which blk u stay in again?

tarepiggy

hi Kookie,

I use black granite top for my kitchen table top too. It's hard to say whether ur kitchen is exp or not cos it depend on the design, size & material.

I asked my contractor to do a breakdown for all my items eg. cost per ft for kitchen cabinets (cost per ft differs depending on floor cabinet, top cabinet or full-ht cabinet)& cost of granite.

For my length of cabinets, i need 2 large pc of granite slabs (tink it comes in std size per pc, then contractor will cut according to size requirements for cabinet top), cost of my granite is $900. In fact for my left over granite, i asked my contractor to cut & make shelves at my kitchen sink area (for holding cups etc) and bathroom corners (for holding shampoo stuff etc) FOC.

Granite also cost differently depending on the c'tries that they come fr. Those fr India are more exp, but only India ones got those Pearl Blue colour, I only wanted black granite so i took those fr China which is cheaper.

Hope the above will be useful to u! =D

tarepiggy

hi Kookie,

I use black granite top for my kitchen table top too. It's hard to say whether ur kitchen is exp or not cos it depend on the design, size & material.

I asked my contractor to do a breakdown for all my items eg. cost per ft for kitchen cabinets (cost per ft differs depending on floor cabinet, top cabinet or full-ht cabinet)& cost of granite.

For my length of cabinets, i need 2 large pc of granite slabs (tink it comes in std size per pc, then contractor will cut according to size requirements for cabinet top), cost of my granite is $900. In fact for my left over granite, i asked my contractor to cut & make shelves at my kitchen sink area (for holding cups etc) and bathroom corners (for holding shampoo stuff etc) FOC.

Granite also cost differently depending on the c'tries that they come fr. Those fr India are more exp, but only India ones got those Pearl Blue colour, I only wanted black granite so i took those fr China which is cheaper.

Hope the above will be useful to u! =D

kookiemonster

hi Mudpie,
Thanks for the tip! It is useful. What you said is true, the cost depends on the design, size & material. You really make full use of your granite slabs. That is good.

hi Ben,
I'm staying in blk 150. Which block you staying? Your reno sounds reasonable. Do you install tempered glass doors? I was quoted $450 each for tempered glass doors for the toilet. Reasonable?

mr_ben

Hey Kookie,
I am staying in Blk 155. Think the tempered glass door cost me abt $400 to $500. I put for both the toilet. Cant remember the exact number cos it is part of my package. Sorry abt tat.

kookiemonster

Hi ben,
You took a package with the contractor? The package consists of the basics reno? Blk 155..hmm, facing the multi-storey carpark? Yours is a 5 room? I'm still quite blur on the blocks there. Only went to see my house about 2X.

mr_ben

My block is the one that is facing the big field. My main door is facing the carpark.And the so called package consists of TV console, wardrobe, kitchen cabinets and tiles. Regarding the haulage, I let him do everything!

spyder

sorry to cut in, i think haulage is standard handled by hdb appointed contractor... so your contractor will just leave the stuff for them to clear... if i am not wrong...
happy.gif

as for tempered glass for toilets, its about 400-500 which is normal price... i think swing door is 400, sliding is about 500...

trekkerb

DJ,

The whole process takes abt an hour, unless you are queueing to activate ur water & electricity as well.

Blk 151? Which floor?

kookiemonster

spyder,
i don't know whether to do it myself or not. Problem if do myself can be quite hassle. So weighing the options now. So checking out from any of you whether you guys really do yourselves and whether it's really a hassle. From what i know is that the haulage is for the main contractor to bring up the cement etc.. heard if we do ourselves, only cost around $250 to $300. That is we make our own arrangments with the main contractor. But sub-contractors (those that we hire to do up our house) usually charge $750.

Ok..hmm..seems that the tempered glass toilets is around market rate. (just checking so that i dont' get cheated.
lame.gif
)

DJ444,
Very fast lah.. less than an hour. Hey you're nearby me!!! You went for the OCT WIS? When did you go ah? I went very late leh.. about 2 weeks after it released..(coz was still deciding whether to get own house or not). So didn't get high floor lah. But it's oklah.. i don't think i will stay very long also around there.
biggrin.gif
Heheheh... Met my neighbour. Apparently, he waited 5 years to get his keys. He went for the BTO. Wah piang.. some ppl just willing to wait. Not like as if it's high floor or some fantastic area man..

So you shortlisting for id / contractor now?? When you intend to renovate?

kookiemonster

Ben,
Oh... ok. i think i got an idea where your block is after i went back to dig up the sengkang handout book for the WIS.
lame.gif
. That main big field is a reserve site for school next time right?

I went to try out using LRT to move around. Found out got wet market at Rivervale Plaza. And that it closed at 7pm even on weekdays! 1 stop after the LRT station at our place. Sometimes get confuse on which train to take..the eastbound,westbound..etc.. Need some time to get use to it.

I went to check out Compasspoint also, ate at banquet there..wah liew..the food branch there sucks leh.. compare to other branches. And they served using paper plates & forks. Other branches are using normal plates & forks.
sad.gif

Hopefully it gets better over time. Actually they should provide more eatery places.. coz down there more young couples mah.. ppl like us sure go out to eat more often. Heh...

etnt

You cannot do your own haulage, it has to be through the hdb appointed contractor which you should see the notice on your lift. The price is the same wether paid by you or your contractor as it is a standard sum to HDB, depending on your reno works. Juz tell you contractor to give you the receipt and pay accordingly.

kookiemonster

Hi etnt,
I think you've misunderstood. Yes...it's through the HDB appointed main contractor. What i meant by myself..is not entirely doing myself lah that is getting the cement etc :p I meant is paying the HDB appointed main contractor directly and make the arrangements with the HDB appointed main contractor directly. Thus around $250 to $300. If we asked our contractor to do, they will usually charge commission fees, that's why the haulage fees more expensive around $750. And usually they will include that in the reno package. This is what all the different contractors / id have been telling me when i went round asking for quotations. So, currently weighing that option whether to pay that $400 more to save hassle. If it's not so much hassle, like just go to the Business Centre located at block 156a to do arrangements, i don't mind doing that... but if they say have to supervise etc.. hmm, i might think. So that's why wondering whether got any experience ppl here doing that? :p

etnt

if your contractor is asking for commission, then I would say skip the guy. During my shortlisting period, none of the 4 contractors I went to requested for commission.

It's a straightforward: they'll pass me the receipt from the haulage contractor, I juz pay the figure.

etnt, thanks for the tip. At least we know we can get people who'd do the coordination for us without the extra cost. I guess they make enough on the other works!
happy.gif

Trekker, my flr? double your's, mirror image.
happy.gif
So do we get a lot of sun? Maybe I'll visit you after I collect my keys...hehe. Do we need to pay extra to activate the water and electric? We aren't gonna do anything until a couple of years time... I wonder if we should activate the water and elec or not. Any opinion on that?

kookiemonster, we booked our apt during the mid-2004 WIS. I think there are some faithful people here who have been waiting since the BTO who got their keys in Jun/Jul.
happy.gif
We delayed getting the keys.... we feel very fortunate, cos we don't have to rush to do anything and can learn from all of your reno experience!
happy.gif
You intend to move out after 5 yrs? So I guess you won't pay too much to do reno?

kookiemonster

etnt,
Ok..got your tip. Hmm...but i noticed some id / contractor put that as part of the package. Like Ben here. (sorry ah..have to quote you.) Is yours something like that?

DJ,
Oh i see... i don't think i can make it for CNY. But it's oklah. Not in a rush as well.
happy.gif
The only thing that i think need to do "chasing" is the HDB to do the screeding. Until now they haven't started. And it's already almost 2 weeks. I won't be asking the contractor to do it coz HDB does it for free.
I'm also learning from our "neighbours" here too! So hopefully they can give good tips regarding the reno.
happy.gif
Supposedly lah... planning to movelah coz quite inconvenient for me. It's more because of my baby.
happy.gif
Yeap...trying to keep my reno cost as low as possible... but make sure it's still "livable" for that many years lah not only for me but for baby as well!
lol.gif

hydeto

19k reno seems like quite a good price.

Kook, my current qoute around 21k,not sure whether will go higher or not as may add some additional item. But if i stay as what I have now, it will be at that cost.
Cost include electrical work.

I'm done by Patrick.

trekkerb

DJ,

I know which unit you got... saw the contact list. Actually the unit u was actually one of my 1st few choices but we rejected it because of the unit's number. (Parents dun like too many 4 so we did not get it.)

Sadly no sun!

Hi Trekker,

You mean the sun doesn't shine into our block? And my unit's windows too? I don't like the sun, so I'm quite happy about that. Right now, I face east and get the morning sun. It's a good thing in winter, but in summer...it...sucks. haha.

Out of all the apts that were avail, this was the only one we liked and we were surprised that it was still available during our "turn" to book. We did wonder why it wasn't taken and found out later that maybe someone had given it up due to the long wait.

Kookiemonster, it'll be interesting to see what your reno would be like, how much you get done. Seems like the lowest reno cost I've heard so far is 19K.

mr_ben

Trekker,
Something interesting to share with u, my unit number is 144. So far so good. THe only dead stuffs are all the insects and bugs!