Safe to travel to Japan?

babystorm

Hey guys, did anyone of you travel to Japan after the 11 March incident? How was the experience?

I have been reading quite abit online and it seems like the views have been quite extreme. Some said the Japanese government has been covering up, hoping to boost up tourist numbers. Some said it's totally fine cos most places are many miles away from the incident and there are radiation detectors installed. Some said we get more radiation up in a plane, radiation is even higher in Singapore and the food that we eat, eg. Bananas contain much radiation too?!?

My feelings are mixed. My friends have been telling me not to go there especially if I plan to have babies next time. Cos it will affect my cells in a way or the other. I'm really caught in between. I plan to visit next year. If it is really so 'unsafe', I would most probably travel alone. Not gonna let my loved ones risk their health for me.

The way I look at travel and life is you gotta take some risk. I hope it's not pure stupidity on my part. But if one is so risk-averse, should probably lock himself in a box and don't come out. I guess the only thing that's bothering me is the baby issue cos I want to set up my own family in time to come.

Any advices please? Thanks!

miloice

My sister in law is Japanese and has travelled between Sg and Tokyo numerous times and right now in Japan.

How to tell if radiation levels are indeed safe?? At least, people are not dying at the moment. If there are long term effects, it will take long time for it to reveal lah.

She is still trying to conceive through insemination, not cos of radiation effects but physical problem combined with age for both bil and her. So, chances of conception naturally is very low.

babystorm

SIL? That means it's your brother's wife? But you said BIL?

How old are they?

I'm looking at Osaka and Kyoto for now.

scopefun

I have just visited Fukushima, bathed in the seawater, eat alot of vegetables around the area, and everyday jogged there...

I discover that ever since I came back from Singapore, I become younger, my heartbeat faster, my skin regenerate at lightling speed, I can run faster than a bus, I can jump down from 20 floors and not get hurted...

Gosh, I love Japan, everyone should visit Japan and become an X-man!

clark

can you smell the stench ??

It's from fat, ugly and like to stalk pple Milo.
His BO....STINKO !

trinity4ever

Hi Miyako

My sis told me her fren did a chk up before & after the Japan trip. After the trip, she detected radiation in her body.

Effects of radiation may not show up until sometime later. My personal view is best to avoid travelling there unless absolutely required.

All the best!

powder

"The way I look at travel and life is you gotta take some risk."
- there is unknown risk (walking into a dark cave), and there is risk (walking into a dark cave with a sign that says "Danger - Lion's Lair). to me, this is Known risk.

"I hope it's not pure stupidity on my part."
- no, it's pure Ignorance trying to gather such information on a forum like this... instead of checking up with the relevant authorities.

"But if one is so risk-averse, should probably lock himself in a box and don't come out."
- i can be adventurous by jumping into the sea. i should not be adventurous by jumping into a croc-infested swamp.

"I guess the only thing that's bothering me is the baby issue cos I want to set up my own family in time to come.
- i have heard some real-life account on this aspect. i do not wish to share them due to privacy issues. i think it shouldn't just 'bother' u... it should seriously Worry u.

unless it's an urgent matter or your dying wish, i dun see a reason not to hold back on your travel plans to these places til after u hear more announcements on the issue.

as of now, there are still environmental concerns which has not subsided. it's just getting less coverage. when u asked others for experience, what are u expecting? that they grew 2 extra fingers or their face melted?

some matters in life are irreversible and u can only look back and wish u hadn't.

babystorm

Thanks powder. I know I can count on you to give good advices. (not that the others don't)

I did spend some time to read on the current situation online. And it seems like 50% said it's ok and 50% said it's not, based on their experiences and read up. (Japanese included)

They said the Jap government is covering up. If that's really the case, can the authorities' words be trusted?

I guess I was looking for something like what Trinity would say.. It just confirmed my fears. But guess it does not matter anymore.

I'm going there to see a special friend.

powder

why not both of u meet for a holiday in taiwan or korea?

i have reasons for being blunt in my initial post.

babystorm

Honestly, I wish we could too. But he has flight anxiety.
sad.gif
Sigh...

babystorm

It's actually Osaka and Kyoto that I'm looking at. (West Japan)

By the way, does anyone know if flight anxiety (fits) can be cure? I read online that maybe can pop a few pills to tie over the flight duration only.

cuclainne

so many people have been travelling to japan since then .. life is short, make the most of it.

as for the flight anxiety, it depends on how bad it is. it's not as easy as popping a few pills ..

babystorm

Hi cuclainne, I totally agree about the 'life is short' and we should just seize the moment. But I won't let my loved ones know about this. Cos they won't approve and will be worried. It will be my first time there and I feel that I'm old enough to go for what I want.

Yeah he said the last time he was on a flight, he had fits.. Oh no.. Anyways how much do you reckon will be the cost for a week's stay?

cuclainne

my brother is heading to tokyo in september for school trip. last nov, i also had plans to visit tokyo - my colleague tried to persuade me not to go.

personally i also have developed a fear of flying over the last few years - had no problems going on flights until 2009. i have tried controlling my fears by going on short flights with my family but the biggest test will be when i return to sweden at the end of the year - 15-17 hours!

babystorm

cuclainne, why did you suddenly develop a fear of flying? Or did something happen? So how was the Tokyo trip?

Powder, security in numbers mean?

powder

it means that pple generally seek security in numbers...

it's one of those behavioural things... to tackle uncertainties - we look towards the pple who have done it, even if the results are unknown. pple seek security in numbers.... this person did it, that person did it, uncle sam did it.... and u tell yourself that becos so many pple did it, u can too...

this isn't climbing mountains nor swimming across the sea where u know it's completed, this is having sex without a condom taking comfort that all your frens do it too... doesn't mean u won't get pregnant.

in any case, your travels are ok... i was just referring to a common behavioural assurance that humans seek. so take note in future.

no offence, but u may think it's just u... but it isn't. i dun know how many of u still rem SARS... some DIED, some SPREAD without knowing... who wants to? but the actions of some shows they're willing to risk.... doesn't matter if they wanted it to happen.

miloice

security in numbers does have some sense if you talk about short term risk and not long term. In this case, you cannot see the effects immediately, the sample numbers is by far limited. So, it is not useful.

powder

junkie,

tat's a good dig... am amazed at your resourcefulness. seriously impressed. if only my trainees and juniors have half the ability.

this is pretty much the crux of what i'm saying. it is so easy to make a typical sporean feel 'safe' by telling them that your uncle/brother/best fren/colleague/MIL/ki's teacher has gone and done something and u didn't hear anything happening... and therefore - it IS safe.

well unless those who went had been extensively tested and proven to be free from radition, then how can we take the fact that they've been there - become a source of determining it's safe? THEN again, do we extensively ask the right questions? answer is NO, we just say who we know have been there, and simply let a person take conclusion from that 'fact'.

my point is to Really be bothered abt such declarations, in determining. and Never throw caution to the wind...

it's worse when pple base on information a decade ago. it really Doesn't help at all.

miloice

One has to weight odds and consequences.

Security by numbers is good for assuring low risks (occurrences and consequences) decision. You save time in your decision making.

There are 2 extremes. Folks that scare the shit out of hearsay and those that assure themselves in similar fashion. Both without first considering the real risk and probability.

babystorm

Oh......
sad.gif
((

I think I get the jeez... Powder..

Junkie, your "section 3" scares me... Sigh..... I'm ok with dying but not the 生ä¸å¦‚æ­» feeling.

powder

u should try starting this thread in motherhood forum... u're likely to get different views. especially with regards to babies...

if u're the few pple who took advantage of cheape airfares to hong kong and contracted SARS n spread that in spore... resulting in death to pple u Dun Know, or family members... u won't be seeing it as a personal decision.

infojunkie

geez i'm finally living up to my nick :p

jokes aside, it actually scared the shit out of me...

get this pc of info when browsing thru some biography abt john wayne yrs back and it get etched in my head like forever... disturbing & scary.

and to the uninitiated,

better find out more b4 travelling to japan, dun be lazy...

useful links:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9410702/Nearly-36pc-of-Fukushima-children-diagnosed-with-abnormal-thyroid-growths.html

http://japandailypress.com/300-radioactive-cars-seized-as-russian-customs-inspect-japan-imports-207000

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120717a1.html

government's role in the lesser known minamata disaster

more abt minamata disaster if u care to know more click on

powder

those are good links... if it happened in spore, sporeans will be talking abt eating seafood 'just the other day'... then everyone feels it's alrite.

miloice

everyone will siam for sometime, then some biz will have special promotion or give it for free, suddenly, it is worth the risk once they can gain some quick discount.

babystorm

Powder, nop I won't go overseas just because of some discount or freebies.. If not, I would already travel there last year after the incident. I read online that quite a few people are tempted and brought their families along (children inclusive). Are you saying that if I kana and return to Singapore, it's actually contagious?

Junkie, I'm not lazy leh.. I spent time researching online. Although the many articles that I read are not as 'powerful' as yours.. 一针è§è¡€ï¼Lol... Looks like I gotta use my head over heart this time.

powder

haha i hope not. cos i know it's always tempting to get discounted tickets after disasters/attacks in certain countries... like bali, tokyo, phuket?

for me it's a no-brainer... saving even 1k doesn't make sense... better to travel to a cheaper country if can't afford.

not the contagious part, more becos u mentioned abt having babies...

babystorm

No leh, I wasn't informed of such "good" deals.

There was once when I booked a trip to Bali and just 1 week before flying over, there was an earthquake. But I still went ahead. Cos to me, it's destiny when I die. If it's destined, something bad will happen no matter where I am.

Disclaimer: I did my "due diligence" though. I asked the hotel staff if everything is ok. He said it's fine so I just went. Just in case the hotel is not intact anymore. (kidding!)

powder

guess we have different approaches...

i would not have gone, and if really needed, i would not have checked with a hotel staff... maybe it's an occupation thing, i just cannot take chances in life cos it costs alot alot of money to rectify once wrong. and for some - money cannot rectify.

take risks in life, but take calculated ones... with Love perhaps we can plunge from time to time... but with Life - that one time could be the only time.

there will come a time when some of u realise that funerals are Not for the dead, it is as much for the living to grieve, come to terms and move on... though some can't move on... sometimes we live for those around us to live better.

infojunkie

plans to build waste pipeline stalled after mass protests:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/28/chinese-protesters-industrial-waste-pipeline?newsfeed=true

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/asia/china/AJ201207290022

well pumping industrial wastewater into the sea... does it ring a bell? yes, the minamata incident.

once again it's business + government vs the people and this time ard, the people r more informed and put up a gd fight...

they will probably look for a new place to dump their waste...

and the japs r holding an anti-nuke candlelight vigil tonite. no pix yet.

purpledays

heard from my bro's friend that the radiation level in japan is still quite high. if u are planning to give birth within the next two years, I suggest you don't go. even if you go, see a doc after you are back to know if it's safe to have children

starnight

I actually heard from my friend that her friends' friends (separate group who went different parts and time) went to Japan after the incident last year and both felt unwell when they came back to SG. Hence they seek their own doctors. Both were diagnosed with dangerous radiation level in their bodies. One of them was advised not to conceive within 3 years and the other was advised not to conceive forever! As much as I love Japan, precaution is better than cure so I will not go within the next few years...

starnight

Miyako, I am not really sure since these are just hearsay from my friend. But if I remember correctly, my friend was saying she heard it's those common tourist areas like Tokyo, Hokkaido etc.

babystorm

Starnight, I'm looking at Osaka, Kyoto and Nara areas. Anyways, I heard stories about Japanese men being very lecherous and I will be alone.. So I guess this worries me more. Lol

waif

I would like to say that the above stories presented are not exactly factual.

I am currently 6 mths pregnant and just got back from a 1-week vacation in Tokyo. I went for my pre-natal check after the trip and everything is fine.

Before confirming my trip, I did a lot of research on the Internet and talked to my husband who's working in the aviation industry and a friend who's living in Japan.

And here are my findings:

- First and foremost, of course, avoid going to Fukushima where the heart of the nuclear breakdown is. If you intend to go to places like Tokyo, Hokkaido, Osaka, Kyoto etc. I think that's fine.

- my husband showed me a map of Japan and said that the distance between Fukushima and Tokyo is too far for radiation to occur in Tokyo. And the winds do not blow down south from Fukushima to Tokyo.

- my friend who's living in Japan said that the majority of the Japanese are very paranoid people and even far more paranoid than us. So if there was really substantial radiation, they would have moved away.

- If you are keen on going to Japan and want to really play it safe, do avoid drinking their tap water and avoid fresh produce or food from the following places: Fukushima, Ibaraki, Miyagi, Tochigi, Yamagata.

When buying packaged food from supermarket or convenience stores, you could also check the place of production by looking at the label at the back of the packaging.

Peaches are in season now during summer and Fukushima is famous for their peaches so you may like to avoid peaches from that place.

If fruits or vegetables are sold at a really cheap price, then they may be too cheap to be true.

- When we travel on a plane, we are already exposed to cosmic radiation. Likewise for frequent travellers or even pilots or flight attendants for that matter, the amount of radiation that they are exposed to is far more than what you will be exposed to in Japan, if there is any to begin with in the first place.

We are constantly surrounded by radiation: microwave ovens, handphones, the UV radiation from the sun etc., which causes skin cancer in millions of people around the world every year.

- As for those who travelled to Japan and came back to Singapore with "high levels of radiation" detected by doctors, they are liable to report such cases to the Ministry of Health, so that the authorities are able to issue a travel alert warning. But I have not seen any so far.

And also, all the stories that people have told me were all hear-say and none from an official and credible source.

- Last but not least, you yourself have to be really comfortable about going to Japan. If you are not comfortable doing it, then I would say, don't.

I did all my research that I can and I was comfortable with going to Tokyo at the end of the day.

starnight

i just heard from my colleague yesterday her friend went Japan for honeymoon lately and when they returned, they went check up and the doctor advised them not to conceive within the next 5 years. Same as what I heard from my friend's friend and so on...