River City Restaurant

N

nov bride

Hi

Has any one tried the food there after they moved
to Hotel Excelsior? I might engage their wedding banquet as the place seems cosy enough. Wonder hows the food standard. Plse advise.

Thanks

octoberbride

Hi Nov Bride,

I book RiverCity for my wedding dinner this October. I have not seen the place though, but my mum and MIL says it's pretty cosy and nicer than the former one at WTC. Even my wedding planner told me that I could save up some $$$ on decoration. For the food, it's pretty similar to the other cantonese restaurants under the same group, so I guess you dun have to worry so much.

hazel_77

Hi all

Would appreciate some comments about River City Restaurant. Anyone had just visit/book/had their wedding there recently? Thanks!
happy.gif

min

Hi Angeline,
Can you tell me more about the restaurant as well. I am interested too. Can I email you?

serrich

Hi all,

smile.gif

I am planning to hold my wedding banquet in August next year. Planning to have it at River City Resturant ( near MRT and within bugdet $500).

Have any of you held your wedding banquets there? Can comment on your experience with the food, ambience and service with the resturant??

Since I am planning to have the dinner in Aug 03, when will be the best time to book the resturant?? Will it be too early to book now??

lyl

Serrich,

I am also planning to have my dinner in 2003. Most likely Oct or Nov. I have not confirmed the date yet, so have not done any booking :eek:(

i am now sourcing for some possible restaurants. I also like to find out more about River City, whether it is good or not.

Any other restaurants u come across and it is worth to take a look?

serrich

Hi Angeline,

I guess everyone who comes to this thread would like to know more about the resturant. Would it it okay to share your valuable comments here?? I am sure we are all interested to know more about the resturant.

Thanks!

lyl,

I have read through most of the threads on weeding packages in resturants and hotels. First of all, what is your budget? For my case, we are quite tight on our hand so we set a budget of abt $500/table. Would you prefer it in a hotel or resturant??

lyl

My budget ideally should be around $500 too. Not too expensive lor. Initially we plan to go for hotel, but looks like pretty costly, so we dun rule out the possibility of holding in the restaurant.

angeline

hi gals,

Sorry for my late reply, have missed this posting!
sad.gif

i have been to view RCR, i like the menu but eventually i didnt book with them. I need 35 tables & more, their max is only 32 which fits nicely inside the restaurant. If u want to have more tables, they can put it outside the rest which i find it very weird & there's an escalator just outside the rest, unsightly! The stage is worse, its very small, cant accomodate many pple, if u r thinking of asking your brothers to go on stage to shout 'yum seng' then u can forget it!There's no podium stand for MC somemore! One good point is that, its pillarless lah.

I have actually booked my banquet with Orient Ocean @ Miramar htl, its under the same management with RCR & Dragon gate @ WTC. OOR stage look nicer & more grand, can accomodate more pple & its on a higher platform. The only things is that there are pillars inside the rest.
They have 3 menus :
Eternal Romantic Emerald
weekday $380nett $430nett $538nett
weekend $400nett $450nett $568nett

Im not very sure whether they have increase their prices or not, maybe u can call them to check. My coordinator is Jessie, a china lady. Maybe u can say i recommended, my wedding is on 19 Nov 2002 (tuesday) & i have booked their Emerald package.

Hope all these helps, do feel free to ask me if u want to know more
happy.gif

dearie

Dear Angeline,

How's yopur wedding dinner with OOR? Hope everything went well for you.

Care to share your experience with me?

Thank you

richard

I been there for wedding dinner just last month.I thnik pillars will not hinder much on view as u purpose there is to enjoy cosy enviroment and nice food.My friend just paid fo 428nett per table with minimum 25 table of reservation.

richard

Recently they have promotion for all Singapore Poloce Force card holder a 5% discount on top of current packages which start from 398nett(weekday) and 428 nett(weekend) packages.tel 63399969

gin

Hi Richard,
I think the pillars do matter..so one friend sit juz behind the pillar, beside the red carpet also have to shift out... :S

vivian_james

Hi! Can anyone give me some comments about this restaurant? I'm thinking of holding about 25 tables there for my wedding banquet but not sure about their standard of the food and services. How's the decor like also? Is it very traditional?

carollan

Hi Peiyun,

I am holding my wedding banquet there in Sep this year. The place is pretty cosy. I think you should go down personally to have a look. Going for my food tasting in early Aug. Keeping my fingers crossed. I went to take a look at a wedding event today. Food portion looks pretty big.

Hope this helps!

Carol

fi_fi

My AD is on 24 Sep.
Food tasting on 6th Aug.

wanna hear ur comments after ur food tasting.
Keep me posted yah!

tryphena

Hi All,

I had oso booked tis plc n went to take a look at other ppl's wedding n the feeling is cosy. We had reserved the whole rest cos dun wan others to cum in for dinner... hehe selfish lei..

my AD is 27 Jan bt they asked me to go for early food tasting cos they may not be free to serve us.. sigh.. feel like doing tins so early n fast..

fi_fi

hi carollan,

okie. wil kip u inform aft d food tasting.
heez.. mine AD is 1mth aft urs.

hi jazol,
welcum...... me oso booked d whole rest. same as u, dun wana others 2 b inside 4 diner.hw many tables u hve?

carollan

Hi jazol,

When did u go to the rest to see an actual wedding? I went there last sun and saw a couple too. Maybe it's u. haha... who attend to u? cos i personally feel to go for food tasting half a yr b4 wedding abit kua zhang.

Hey Fifi,

i booked 25 tables so Joyce told me the whole restaurant will be booked for my wedding dinner. feel good abt it. Another good thing is the rest can accommodate max 35 tables. So if last min need to increase can do so.

tryphena

Hi Fifi,

I m hvg 35 tables cos Joyce told me that if I wan to hv the whole rest to ourselves need to book 35 table.

Hey carollan,

Wow u r able to hv jus 25 tables n hv the whole rest.. tats very good..

Guess its bcos of the date i chose initially whn we booked is supposed to Oct'06 thn changed due to certain reasons.

jasangcy

hihi all, I am gg down to take a look too, have anyone seen the honeymoon suite its nice, hows the perks like? Coz I actually shortlist Furama... BUt the price for River city is great and saw the picture in website seem very nice and cosy? its pillarless? sorry me anxious to book a venue yet budgetted...

thanks for sharing =)

carollan

Hi jasmine,

totally understand how u feel.

I have not seen the honeymoon suite b4. so not sure how it looks like. but I think a hotel room standard should be ok. the restaurant is not pillarless. ya, u shld go down to take a look.

fi_fi

hihi,

ya lor... me now still hve dif drafting out hw many tables i hve. sigh......
lucky joyce said can juz inform her 2weeks b4hand will do.

jasangcy

hihi Fifi and Carol, thanks for sharing ya will go down today and see coz actually want to confirm Furama then happen to see the pictures on the internet of RIver City and was so attracted to the price =P So thought might as well go and look for other opt.

Carol: you mean they wont bring you to the Honeymoon suite? Cos Furama and Club chinos did. cos FUrama suite is very nice too =)sigh... now dunno how...

Btw, can we hold the wedding at ballroom with River city food?? Tot I saw a thread here talking abt Exclesior Hotel.

Thanks for sharing gals, pls do let me know abt the food when you try, carol.

See you all around =)

tryphena

Hi all,

heard fm my fren tat the food at River City is quite nice n I went to 88 restaurant which is the same grp serves nice food so I guess the food std shld b the same.

Btw Carol, ps share ur comments whn u go for food tasting as I had pushed mine till Nov. As dun wish to go so early afraid the chef will b changed.

carollan

Hi jazol,

Regarding the food tasting, i totally agree with u. Shldn't go so early cos chef might change.

I think Fi Fi would be going for her food tasting this Fri lei. So we will hear her comments first. haha. think restaurant food standard wouldn't be that bad.

Carol

tryphena

Hi carol,

ya i suppose restaurant will be reasonably ok... haha most of all the old folks will like it as most of our guests are old folks.

haha...

fi_fi

Hi gers,

me shall update d food portion and comment aft dis fri food tasting
happy.gif

heez... rec'd joyce's call last wkend, reminding me of printing d invite. she so prompt ler....
hopefully everything turns out fine....

carollan

Hi Fifi,

I have taken my wedding cards already. Their printing service very fast. After confirming the names, it was ready after 4 days. Considered very fast... I like my wedding cards very much!

Enjoy e food tasting tomorrow!

Cheers! Looking fwd to the wkend man!!!

fi_fi

hi gers,

finally food tastin over... d food portion vri big wow. aft finishing d 4th dishes hor, bian we can't eat liao. heez dunno wedding day will b d same anot. our parents like d foods oso. mayb elders go 4 taste hahaha...

but dan hor. 1-2 dishes either 2 salty or 2 blend. hve 2 look out wow.

hi carollan,
wow so fast u taken d invite liao. dat's fast. which 1 did u chose? sigh... me haven even confirm hw many tables really req'd. dunno hw 2 do d guest list
sad.gif
tedious man.

carollan

Hi Fifi,

Seems like the food tasting went well. Only 1 or 2 dishes got "complain" considered not badz liao! Btw, how many pple u brought for your food tasting? 10 pax?

I used a light pink wedding invitation card. think it's 8016 if my memory didn't fail me. hehe... like it alot!

As for no. of tables, 25 is the minimum so we used that number first. And i asked my MIL n parents to estimate how many tables they need. The I add me n my hb guests. That's how we did our rough estimate.

Hope this helps!

tryphena

Hi carollan,

hw many colors of invites do they hv?

Hi Fifi,

Wow there are only 1 or 2 dishes wif complain quite good aldy... so did u change any of the dishes?

fi_fi

hi carollan,

heez... d food tasting e 4 10pax lor... at d same x, our parents talk abt d pin jin etc. everything discuss on dat nitez....

e ur invite wif d heart shape 1? me chosen d red color 1.. d nbr is 8014. like d design, its not traditional n looks modern in d design
happy.gif

aiyo... my col had being blar blar at me liao. said now stil haven draft guest list. sigh... pressure coming liao. found dat so many things haven do.

hi jazol,
yup, i change 1 of it 2 yam basket... their yam basket hor, vri soft n nice. but 2 blend liao...

giboy

Hi Fifi,

Would u mind tell us which menus are u choosing? my AD is on Dec 06. Plan to have the food tasing in Aug and choose the invitation card on the same day.
happy.gif

gregina

Hi Ladies

I'm also considering River City as my AD venue. May I asked if you ladies are holding the dinner at the hotel's ballroom or the restaurant itself? Which venue is more advisable? The hotel's thread got quite bad reviews leh...

tryphena

hi cpl,

mine is held in the restaurant. as the restaurant cn take the number of tables we wan. for ballroom it will be served the hotel's banquet waiters/waitresses.

hehe.. i will be going dwn for another viewing tis wed as had forgotten abt the setting aldy cos we booked it last yr.

Went to 1 on sunday..my verdict on the food is ok only...they serve the food very fast...we have a few dish on our table before we can finish our food. Seem like the staffs are rushing to go back!Then another advise is do not use the lady manager as Emeecee!!! Terrible!!When the couple march in..she suspose to keep quiet and let the beautiful ambience & song lead the couple in.....but she keep talking and talking things like " bai nian hao he..yong jie tong xing..guest pls aplauses and welcome them etc etc..during the couple marching in..MY GOD!! Then olso pls note that...there are some small flies and houseflies flying around and landed on our food.

tryphena

hi victoria, is the svce tat bad. My frens told me the plc n food is nt bad. Nt like wat you had mentioned lei. As for the emcee, guess we shld know tat if using a restaurant and get the mgr to do it, you will expect that time of words and greetings as its the standard tingy.

magic28

Hi Lynn, Lisa

I am new in this thread. How did yr dinner at River City go?

I am planning for lunch and went to Rest. 88, but was not too happy with what they came back with, lunch must be served by 1 pm and we need to finish up by 2.30 pm latest.

I checked with Joyce and she seems more flexible and not so rigid. Joyce says we can engage more service staff, which I think we would do.

Just like to know howz the food and overall.

Thanks!

tryphena

hi gals, i had finished my wedding... the food at river city is fantastic... all my guests thumbs up for the food and no complains for the service..

so for those who hv booked or going to book with rest assured that you had made the right choice...

tryphena

hi gemmi, i cnt recall the details bt we ordered the 3rd pkg - sapphire menu and only change the chicken to duck...