Ritz Carlton

kit

Hi there,
Has anyone has any comment about Ritz Carlton hotel, their ballroom setup, food, service. I think their suite is marvellous. No other bridal suite can be compared.

annie

Hi Kit

From what I hear, Ritz Carlton is outstanding in its service, but I dunno abt their food and ballroom setup. I went there once for my company D&D and remembered that the food was only so-so. The ballrom is HUGE, so if u have less than 40 tables, it may look a bit empty.

From what other brides have shared on this forum, the new Fullerton also has a to-die-for bridal suite. Maybe u wanna check it out?
happy.gif

Annie

nicole

Hi Kit,

I love Ritz.......its my first choice banquet venue. Unfortunately, the date I want is taken up. The ballroom is simply big and grand.
happy.gif
Thats the reason I really fell in love with the Ritz. When i went in the ballroom.........its so big!!

However, there were cons too. Like the 80% deposit u have to place (staggered over the months) before yr wedding. The minimum requirement of 60 tables on weekend..etc. If money is not an issue, may I alert u to their snob service. They really are quite erm....snobbish and high-and-mighty (well, they can afford to, they are a 6* hotel). they generally give u that kind of service that says "don't waste our time if u can't afford it". So dun expect to get bargains or freebies from them! :p

The food is not exactly value for money, but its pretty common for hotels to have so-so food only. The service is good, they open doors for everyone......but like all other hotels, they hire part time staff as yr waiters/waitresses.

The suite may be very big and comes with a wonderful view, but wait till u check out Conrad's Presidential suite( they are having the promotion now) and the Fullerton's loft suite. Ritz may seem peanuts.....like u, I was wowed and overwhelmed by the Ritz suite when I saw it. But I was later even more impressed by Conrad and the Fullerton.
happy.gif

Why dun u look ard other places first? I am sure u can trust the Ritz for their professionalism but if the suite is yr concern, go check out the rest first!
happy.gif

But like I said, i really love the ballroom, given the date I want, I would want to have my dinner at the Ritz and the suite at the Fullerton and the service at Conrad......... :p Heheh!

Hope my info helps

Nicole

smiles

Hi gals,
I have actually booked my wedding dinner at Ritz Carlton and I must really say their service is superb!! My wedding will be in July but so far from the 1st day I talked to them til now, they have never been snobbish to me and my husband. We actually made an appt to talk to their wedding consultants and I believe, like what most hotels did, they showed us around, presented to us their settings (pictures) and many other banquet details...I asked alot of questions and still, I didn't sign up with them but they are very friendly, not snobbish at all..so I finally signed up with them after the 2nd appt and proceed to come up with some requests.
The nicest thing is they hardly say no to our requests and also, they will not reject you outright, not like Conrad (which I had also experienced) but will instead promise to look into the specific issues that u raised with them and revert to you again.

I'm going for my food tasting soon but I'm sure that if it is really that lousy, the couple should voiced out during food tasting...and honestly I find it hard to satisfy the tastebuds of more than 400 guests, since tastes are rather subjective.

Anyway, is still good to scout around for better hotels but I'm impressed by the customer service of Ritz as they always try their best to be flexible and obliging. In addition, I love their wedding dinner settings and so many nice ones for you to choose.

But their payment system is a major disadvantage as upon booking, you pay 10% of the total tables' cost, 20% 6 months before the wedding and 50% 1 month before the wedding. I dun think other hotels have this type of policy though.

Hope my "2-cents" worth of info helps..

happy.gif
Smiles

june

Dear Smiles,

I have booked my wedding dinner at Ritz also, for next June. Problem is, we did it at a rush and therefore did not request for any extras, just accepted whatever they quoted.

Could you advise what kind of requests you asked for and which they could accede to, and who your consultant is? We spoke to Shamini.

I am just thinking if the following is possible:
a. exchange the flower deco for something else, as I would like to use the same florist for the church and the dinner
b. ask for free corkage for certain no. of wine bottles...

Hope to hear from you...
happy.gif

THanks and I wish you the best for your wedding...

June

R

rc

Hi,

Anyone knows what is the price list for 2002 ?
I'm looking at 45 tables.

thank you.

regards

T

tz

Hi,

I'll be having my wedding banquet @ the Ritz in Sep this yr for abt 100 tables. Despite the large crowd, we're still hoping to make it a fun and personal event...anyone has any suggestions?

sweetiee

Hi TZ,

100 tables? That's a huge crowd!! How abt passing parcels among the tables? You can probably have 2 parcels passing around. And when the music stops, the guests who are holding those parcels get on to the stage for some fun!
happy.gif

T

tz

Hi sweetiee,

thanks for your suggestion! that gives me an idea - instead of passing parcels...maybe we can use a big blow-up ball and pass it around? all the guests in the table will have to do something silly if the ball stops @ their table. of course, we probably can do that only after the plates and food have been cleared!

louisa

Hi TZ,
Just out of curiosity, you do some like Mediacorp's most well-loved actress. Well, she is having her dinner at Ritz Carlton on Sept 22 and she has promised that it will be a fun event. Even your initials resembles her name. Any chance that u're her? Bet all brides here would be thrilled if u are. But then again, if u are her, u probably wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag. Anyway, all the best in your planning
proud.gif

louisa

Hi TZ,
Just out of curiosity, you do some like Mediacorp's most well-loved actress. Well, she is having her dinner at Ritz Carlton on Sept 22 and she has promised that it will be a fun event. Even your initials resembles her name. Any chance that u're her? Bet all brides here would be thrilled if u are. But then again, if u are her, u probably wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag. Anyway, all the best in your planning
proud.gif

piglet

Hi Everyone!

Just had my wedding at Ritz a few months ago ... must warn you abt the food. For those who went with the Jade menu, my guests complained that the aw-ni (yam dessert) was sour! Imagine lah ... so paiseh!!! Hold my dinner at one of the grandest hotels in Singapore, pay so much for each table and get this kind of food. The worst thing is that there wasn't much of a compensation. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!! Only invited me and hubby to have a dinner together ... Felt that this was ridiculous!!! How much can a dinner for two cost?? Think that the loss of my parents' in law, parents'and our face is worth much more than that!

Depending on who's your wedding consultant ... had one previously that was very stiff and refused to budge on any of my requests! So infuriating!! Later on, I managed to change my wedding consultant and she was much nicer and more flexible. Anyway, heard quite good reviews abt Sharmini so you should be in good hands.

june

Hi Piglet,

So sorry to hear about your dessert incident. It's not very professional of them isn't it? But I have been to their dinners ( friends' weddings ) and found their food so-so only. I had to book with them at the insistence of my finace's parents.

Hope Shamini ( my consultant) is nicer as you said. She said that I only need to start discussing with her the wedding preps later this year ( my wedding June next year).

Their cockage is really expensive. Did you use their wine, or brought your own? What items did you use your bliss stars for?

Thanks!

June

A

auds

Hi Piglet,

Thought u won't be hanging around here in this Forum since u got married.
happy.gif

Hey, we're not only Minda's brides but also Ritz-Carlton patrons. Hee hee. Scary to hear the dessert didn't turn out good. Yeah I agree the service is not really good. Our consultant went on maternity and now we still haven't settled lots of things .... Guess they don't contact you even to find out how u doing. E.g. menu, food tasting etc. I expected more from such a renowned hotel.

Well, pray and hope for ze best .....

piglet

Hi Auds!

So glad to see you on the forum!! Guess what ... Minda found out who I was even though I was using a nickname! Hee Hee! Did you have a sis that went with Minda too?? Then you also got found out! :0)

Anyway, kinda miss planning my wedding and would like to help others with my experience. Actually thot of being a wedding consultant ... it's such a pleasure being able to plan for such a beatuiful event like weddings but as a bride, it got really stressful abt 2 weeks before the wedding. But that's because I insisted on doing all the details by myself coz don't trust others to do it well enough.

How did your fitting go?? Which makeup artist are you using?

piglet

Hi again Auds!

I wonder if we happened to even get the same wedding consultant??? Coz my first one also went on maternity leave and guess what ... when I had my food tasting, there wasn't even any wedding consultant there to talk to us and I wasn't even informed abt it. Was really angry coz the wedding consultant who was going on maternity was suppose to introduce my new wedding consultant to me. Imagine my fury when I had so much difficulty trying to make sure my hubby's family and my family can all make it for the food tasting nite (coz hubby's parents travel alot) and I didn't managed to settle my table cloth colour, napkin folds etc. Well, if you got the same consultant, then you will probably find that negotiating is useless coz you can't get anything extra n you seem to be getting rejected very pleasantly all the time. ;0)

piglet

Hi June!

If you choose Steffi's, you can make use of your dinner flowers for your church at a minimal charge. I liaised with Stephanie and she was the one who offered this idea to me. Saved me heaps of $$ and had loads of flowers for my church wedding. The only extra I had to fork out was for my altar flowers and my pew decor.

I actually prefered Woodsville floral decor but found their quotation for my church decor really steep. When I asked Woodsville abt using my dinner flowers for church, they said that it was unneccessary and it would cost me an additional $50 per floral stand for transport. After that I decided to go with Steffi's since they offered me a good solution and wasn't as extorbitant.

Guess what ... I later got scolding from Woodsville coz I didn't tell them that I found their pricing expensive and I should have discussed and negotiate with them. Well ... how do they expect me to negotiate with them or even bother to waste my time when their prices were at least 100% more than Steffi's and I could have more floral decor with Steffi's.

A

auds

Hi Piglet ...

Haha ... I guess we've all been found out huh. Well, it's okay.

I wld suppose our Ritz consultant is the same. Can't hv that many staff going on maternity at the same time I guess. Yeah, no use negotiating - agreed.

I'm going with Steffi's too. She's really nice and friendly to work with.
happy.gif
Woodsville had less choices based on what they showed us. Floral stands and designs were limited. Whereas Steffi's had lots of interesting options to choose from.

Oh well, I'll never want to repeat planning for another wedding. Maybe helping other people it's okay. I agree that doing it yourself tends to be stressful cos I like to know all the details too.

BTW, I'm using Freddy. The photoshoot was fun but those mood shots were pretty funny.

Piglet, do u hv any recommendation for a good caterer?

piglet

Hi Auds

Went to visit Minda today to show her my actual wedding day pics and I was just telling her how I met you and Chloe on the web. So did you use Chris Ling in the end?

Think you're referring to a church caterer? I went with Kriston even though they are slightly more pricy. Thot I could save some $$ at first and go with the smaller caterers but saw a couple and found them quite chi-na ... the table skirtings were made of really cheap material n strange colours and food was so-so. Still found Kriston the most reliable. Took a slightly more expensive package coz quite a no of our church guests weren't going for dinner. Really happy that I had very good feedback abt the food and they usually give extra portions so some of my guests happily da-pao food back. BTW, when's your wedding? Check out the Kriston website and you can perhaps make time to go for their next wedding promotion.

A

auds

Hi Piglet,

I just called Minda yesterday to set my final fitting appt. Coincidence tt you shd visit her yesterday too.
happy.gif
I used Chris Ling and we took so many shots that it's causing me confusion on how to shortlist the photos now. We don't wanna blow the budget ... I read the other discussion where u talked abt going to Aussie land and spending S$10K on photography alone. Wow! I wish I had the time to go away for the photoshoot too. But my wedding's coming up soon - Aug 11.

Hmm, I guess Kriston wld be a safe bet for church caterer. I was hoping to choose a lesser used caterer cos I think lots of pple have tasted Kriston before. Well, better book them fast if I want them.

A

auds

Hi again Piglet,

Do u remember which suite number u got? My friend told me he got a super-huge One-Bedroom suite. It was bigger than the rest of the One B/Rs.

piglet

Hi Auds

I guess most people have tasted Kriston's food before but there would be different feedback depending on the price per head. My auntie who attended our wedding gave us the feedback that she went to another church wedding abt a month after our wedding n found the food so-so. I took the package that included the meesiam as a lot of people seem to like it very much.

Can't really remember which suite it was ... but it was also quite a huge one bedroom suite. Besides the bedroom and the toilet, it had an additional hall and dining area n another toilet. If I'm not wrong, it should have been on the 28 floor.

As for photography, Chris gives you back the negatives right? So you can develop the additional photos yourselves if you really don't want to blow yr budget. Can buy nice albums from this shop in Citilink and then paste it there. Also looks presentable. That's what I did for my friend who went with Chris.

Wow ... your wedding's 3 weeks away!! So exciting! Remember to have loads of fun on that day and leave everything else to yr coordinator.

BTW, who's your Ritz consultant now? If you really insist, can probably get a couple of bottles of corkage waived for wine.

A

auds

Hi Piglet

I'm thinking of getting the S$15 tea reception menu. My b/f's aunt also had the mee siam before and she likes it too. Guess we'll like book them cos they even throw in a service staff.

Good idea to print photos on my own then paste in my own album. Thanks for the tip.

My consultant is Sharmini, I think. We're still liasing with Joey for now. But my friend had Swantini. She seemed pretty nice based on his experience. Who was ur consultant? Waiver of corkage wld be good - previously, Estella refused to budge on the contract at all.

piglet

Hi Auds

I was liaising with Lilian, Joey n Swantini(for a short while). Heard Shamini is quite good ... try asking ... no harm done. How's your table sitting going?? How many tables are you having?

The $15 menu is pretty good. They probably won't give much discount but you can try requesting exchanging a few dishes from this menu with the $18 menu... heard from my guests' feedback that the thai dessert n the scallops on shell was pretty good.

BTW, where are you going for honeymoon??

A

auds

Hi again Piglet,

we haven't got the table sitting done yet. Still waiting for the RSVPs to come in slowly. We prob having just 30+ table. So it'll be really spacious in the ballroom. Plus we're also getting 'live' musicians.
happy.gif
Thinking of doing a video presentation too but I've second thoughts cos of the sheer no of things to do. House, wedding, work. I'm look forward to my Tahiti honeymoon. Hee hee. Very happy thinking abt it.

Great tips on the Kriston menu. I'll see how much I can get out of Kriston.
happy.gif

piglet

Hi Auds

We got the musicians from Ritz to play so that we don't have to rack our brains n think of ways to entertain the guests.

Did you upgrade your dinner menu etc? How come you only having so little guests? Thot minimum tables required for weekend weddings is 60? Even weekday min is 45? Your negotiation skills that powerful??? ;0)

Sounds like you're renovating your hse at the same time. Can't imagine ... really glad that I didn't have to bother abt the house n wedding at the same time. Big headache, i presume.

Tahiti sounds really good! Tell me all abt it when you come back. Really hope I can still meet you here in the web.

A

auds

Hi Piglet,

My negotiation skills not that powerful. Plus the consultant not willing to bend remember? :p So I got to top up the menu.

Yup, the renovation is ongoing .... Argh. Can't wait for everything to be over soon. Am a little sleep deprived now.

I hope the Tahiti vacation will be fantastic. Hope no bad surprises there. It's always a little risky going to some place most people in S'pore haven't been. ;) Will see u around on the Web.

piglet

Hi Auds

Just in case you get too busy with the nitty gritties n celebrating national day (like you have the time!)over the next few days n have no chance to check out the forum, I thot I would congratulate you in advance!

CONGRATS N I WISH YOU GOD'S BLESSINGS AS YOU START A NEW PHASE OF LIFE TOGETHER AS HUSBAND N WIFE!

Chloe n I were hoping to meet up with u as well in Silhouette ... after your honeymoon. Interested? I've attached my email address to my nickname so please stay in contact after your wedding. Til then, take care, smile n enjoy your special day!!

fish

Hi,

any comments about a small wedding at ritz carlton, i.e 10 tables? Is it the best venue cos my cousin is looking for one.

C

comments

Hi,

anyone attended wedding at Ritz carlton recently. Any comments on the service, decor, feedback..

?

: -

Hi comments

I attended one recently it was a small wedding just 10 or 11 tables. Frankly it was no big deal. Maybe it was the decor that made the wedding looked like a dinner and dance. THe food was so-so. I think th eplace was over-hype.

Just my thoughts!!

M

mtp

dear comments,

i liked ritz very much but decided agst holding my banquet there.

PROS:
- large reception
- only 1 large ballroom
- v elegant setting
- long walk-in
- good stage set-up
- nice high ceiling

CONS:
- food is nothing to shout abt
- v squeezy if you have many tables (eg 80tables is v squeezy!!!)
- over-priced (i have 80tables, but their best price was still $900+)
- banquet mgr not friendly (i wanted to talk to the mgr, but she kept sending her asst to me)
- when i finally spoke with her, her attitude was "take it or leave it" and "dun come to the Ritz if u cannot afford it!"

Like :- , i think the ritz is over-priced. paying only for their brand name.

E

euclee

Hi everyone,

Just wondering why is Ritz Carlton's posting so silent. I have signed up with Ritz recently and am quite surprised and pleased with their flexibility with the details of the package. However, I have heard from many friends that their food ain't that great, but their wedding consultant assured me that they have recently changed their chef back (formerly from Sheraton Towers). Anybody has any comments on the food from Summer Pavillion? Cos I think thats where the chef is from. Thanks! ;)

silk

Hi Euclee,

I'm also thinking of signing up with Ritz, will be meeting them soon. I'm glad to hear that they are flexible, 'cos the past reviews were that they were not really negotiable!

Who's your wedding cousultant? I think that also affects how one's experience with Ritz is.

Just had a wedding dinner last week there, food was ok. I think food at hotels are never very very good anyway, so it's making sure it's fresh and hot, that's the best one can hope for I suppose!

mimosa

Hi Euclee,

Hmm...although the Singapore Best Food Guide rank Summer Pavillion as the top, with the 10/10 rating for food, but I personally dun find it that good. I was there for company D&D late last year, and the feedback is that the food is only so-so. No doubt the master chef is back, but do remember the master chef is only involved in the planning of the menu, so he's not involved in whipping up the banquet food. I think probably at Summer Pavillion, he does cook the food himself sometimes (or most of the time?), that's why it's still as good, but come to large scale cooking, perhaps that's not his job already. So the quality of food also depends greatly on the team's effort and standard. Since it's a company function, we had a hundred tables there, and it's very very squeezy, so much so that we are almost sitting back to back with the table behind, and can even hear their conversation with the neighbouring guest.

Of course, Ritz has got its other good points to rave about, like its class and elegance of the ballroom, and of course the suite and the bathroom that overlooks Marina! So dun be too affected by the food. =)

kite

Hi,

My company D&D was held at Ritz Carlton. Alot of my colleagues commented the food is very so-so. Not really up to standard.

jessica

I agree that the ballroom setup is very elegant and the suite is fantastic.However, do considerthe 80% deposit(staggered over a few months) is damn "xiong".If your total banquet cost $40,000,you got to fork out $32,000 deposit.

aiyoyo

My fh received this from MIW e-newsletter.

Schedule your big day mid-week and a golden opportunity presents itself for you to create lovely memories that will last forever. A host of benefits enable the unforgettable to be eminently affordable.

Package for Weekday Wedding Celebrations

S$700 +++ per table of 10 persons based on a minimum of 300 persons (Mondays to Thursdays, excluding eve of P.H. and P.H.).
A grand eight-course Cantonese dinner.
Service of aerated soft beverages for up to six hours during wedding reception and dinner.
Waiver of corkage fees for all hard liquors and 30 bottles of wine.
10% reduction on the purchase of all barrels of beer served.
Six-tiered model wedding cake with top tier flavoured to your individual taste.
Specially designed floral decorations for the entrance and stage. Plush red carpet bordered by eight flower pedestals.
Fresh floral centrepiece arrangements on each table.
Distinctive invitation cards for up to 60% of your guaranteed guest attendance.
Elegantly designed gift boxes containing cake or chocolates.
One-night stay in a Millenia Suite with gourmet breakfast in bed.
....... and more.

Valid till 31 December 2003

To register your interest, please contact Beverly at 6434-5098 or email
[email protected].

Quote "miw weddings" and enjoy a complimentary
20-litre barrel
of beer and an additional night stay in a Millenia Suite.

disappointed

Hi aiyoyo,

I had signed up with Ritz for end of this year and my price per table is $838+++
sad.gif
Didn't know that they will reduce their price further, do you think if I asked them about reduction of price/table, they will consider? The upfront 80% is really very siong and they asked me for 40 confirmed tables for weekend.

A

alias

hi disappointed

don't think you be able to reduce the price but you can try bargaining for more perks.

are they still having some sorts of points system that you can redeem when you book certain pkg? if there is, maybe can try bargaining for some items there to be included in the pkg and save your points for something else.

louise

hi disappointed

is it true that you had 40 tables confirmed for weekend ($838)?

coz I wanted 40 tables, and the best they can quote me is $1,238 per table.

hippy

This threat seems pretty quiet...

Just want to let the brides-to-be know, if you are selecting a 5-6 stars hotel for your wedding, DO NOT EVER pick Ritz Carlton as your choice. I did, and my hubby and I totally regretted it. To cut the story short, they COMPLETELY RUINED our wedding as everyone went haywire on that day. Very bad banquet staff, very lousy coordination from mgr, food sux and we didn't enjoy our wedding at all. Feels like we are throwing our money down singapore river...sigh. I think we may have a better wedding if held at hyatt or elsewhere....sob sob.

bw22

hi there, anybody getting married in ritz this year? would like to hear wat's ur experience? i'm planning to hold mine there at the end of this year.

audreysu

Hi BW22

My sis held her wedding at ritz last nov, she's pretty disappointed with the service & food. She strongly encourage me not to hold my wedding at ritz

bw22

Hi Audrey,

How many tables did ur sis have? and who was her coordinator? I have Shamini as my coordinator and she sounded pretty nice and experienced. I really like the place very much and I'll be going down to pay the deposit today already. Hopefully my wedding planner can make sure that everything goes smoothly...