Review of St Regis Wedding Banquet (John Jacob Ballroom)

Bryan749

My wife and I recently just held our wedding dinner banquet on the 26th Oct 2017. We initially thought the dinner went well according to planned until we started receiving feedback from our 200+ guests and to our horror, here's some bad experience that they went through:

1. Guest A asked for more wine and the second time he asked for it, one chinese server actually rolled his eyes in disgust!!!!!!
2. Guest B asked for some coffee during the dinner and was rejected TWICE by the server and her supervisor without consulting myself or my wedding co-ordinator.
3. At one table, half the guests were served a dish but before the rest were served, the servers went to work on clearing the dishes of another table......
and the list goes on......the general feedback was that the staff was SLOW, RUDE and UnAttentive.

It is with tremendous amount of embarrassment that me and my wife received these feedback from our guests and we simply cannot believe that the level of service provided by a reputable hotel like St Regis can be so poor. We assumed that impeccable service would be a given at St Regis, and that's one major reason we chose it as our wedding banquet venue as we wanted it to be as enjoyable an affair for our guests as it would have been for us.

To be fair, we think the Banquet manager & Events manager did a good job in the pre-wedding co-ordination, but it is apparent that the training of the waiting staff is very far from satisfactory and unfortunately, we had to find out the hard way by making our guests go through the pain.

We wrote in to St Regis regarding our feedback, but the response back from them was nothing short of a diplomatic/political brush-off, so we decided to post a review here to help future wedding couples in their wedding venue selection.

Best rgds,
Bryan & Pam

JoyfulBridetobe

My wife and I recently just held our wedding dinner banquet on the 26th Oct 2017. We initially thought the dinner went well according to planned until we started receiving feedback from our 200+ guests and to our horror, here's some bad experience that they went through:

1. Guest A asked for more wine and the second time he asked for it, one chinese server actually rolled his eyes in disgust!!!!!!
2. Guest B asked for some coffee during the dinner and was rejected TWICE by the server and her supervisor without consulting myself or my wedding co-ordinator.
3. At one table, half the guests were served a dish but before the rest were served, the servers went to work on clearing the dishes of another table......
and the list goes on......the general feedback was that the staff was SLOW, RUDE and UnAttentive.

It is with tremendous amount of embarrassment that me and my wife received these feedback from our guests and we simply cannot believe that the level of service provided by a reputable hotel like St Regis can be so poor. We assumed that impeccable service would be a given at St Regis, and that's one major reason we chose it as our wedding banquet venue as we wanted it to be as enjoyable an affair for our guests as it would have been for us.

To be fair, we think the Banquet manager & Events manager did a good job in the pre-wedding co-ordination, but it is apparent that the training of the waiting staff is very far from satisfactory and unfortunately, we had to find out the hard way by making our guests go through the pain.

We wrote in to St Regis regarding our feedback, but the response back from them was nothing short of a diplomatic/political brush-off, so we decided to post a review here to help future wedding couples in their wedding venue selection.

Best rgds,
Bryan & Pam

why? were you expecting a compensation? So you mean you wouldn't have wrote if they have given you a proper compensation? Doesn't change the fact that their service was unsatisfactory. So isnt this biased?

walkwithme

why? were you expecting a compensation? So you mean you wouldn't have wrote if they have given you a proper compensation? Doesn't change the fact that their service was unsatisfactory. So isnt this biased?

No I think OP was trying to feedback to the hotel in the hope that they will change their processes. But since it seems like they "brushed him off" and were not serious about fixing stuff for future couples, I think it's fair that he posted his views to give the rest a heads up.

Things must have been pretty bad for him to receive feedback from the guests.....

james4424

I was at the banquet. To be fair, there was a more experienced wait-staff at my table who was very professional. When one of the guest at my table, who was one of the bridesmaid, had to be involved in helping the bride change to her second gown of the evening etc, and her dishes just kept piling up (of course, this should have been taken care of in the first place, but most staff were young and looked very inexperienced and just kept trying to squeeze out more space for placing new dishes), he took notice and offered to place the dishes in a warmer and then served them at a later point in time when she's back.
Having said that, I did notice most staff were rather inexperienced, and when I learnt later that the hotel promised one wait-staff to each table, I think it is an empty promise given that they probably make up the numbers by hiring part-timers who are not well-trained and rather unresponsive. I had difficulty getting their attention when i needed to get some additional sauce, or to top up my tea etc. I would have thought this is the norm, until it was made known to me about the "one wait-staff per table" promise, which is a good marketing line at best, that st regis fails to live up to.

james4424

after the banquet is over, and all is paid out, and guests' feedback about service has been negative, I am not sure what one can do about it, especially if you have planned meticulously, mitigating for all details, and it is some "service provider" that has failed to deliver to the level one expects them to. a formal apology would be the minimum. compensation would not have undone the damage. In fact, to suggest that bryan749 gave feedback to st.regis to squeeze out some compensation and then wrote a negative review in this forum out of spite when he was not duly compensated, sounds definitely biased against him. What exactly in his review made you come to such a conclusion? if you are some troll from st.regis, it would serve your company better to get your act together, and start living up to your promises, and delivering them, rather than trying to silence your critics in the public domain, which puts you in an even worse light.
I personally would be very interested how st.regis follows up with Bryan749. given the status quo, st-regis would be on my mental blacklist and i would not hesitate to state so, if people are to ask for my recommendations for banquet venues.

Bryan749

You will know what my answers would be if it's you in our shoes. There's many ways people can interpret our post but as I mentioned our main agenda here is just to create awareness about service quality in the hope of helping future couples make their decisions. Isn't that what reviews are all About??

JoyfulBridetobe

after the banquet is over, and all is paid out, and guests' feedback about service has been negative, I am not sure what one can do about it, especially if you have planned meticulously, mitigating for all details, and it is some "service provider" that has failed to deliver to the level one expects them to. a formal apology would be the minimum. compensation would not have undone the damage. In fact, to suggest that bryan749 gave feedback to st.regis to squeeze out some compensation and then wrote a negative review in this forum out of spite when he was not duly compensated, sounds definitely biased against him. What exactly in his review made you come to such a conclusion? if you are some troll from st.regis, it would serve your company better to get your act together, and start living up to your promises, and delivering them, rather than trying to silence your critics in the public domain, which puts you in an even worse light.
I personally would be very interested how st.regis follows up with Bryan749. given the status quo, st-regis would be on my mental blacklist and i would not hesitate to state so, if people are to ask for my recommendations for banquet venues.

It's funny how you assume I'm from St Regis just because i stated something on an extremely neutral standpoint. And you may set your assumptions and dismay aside, I'm not working there. This is just an experience from someone who has once worked in customer service. You seem so adamant about your assumption that im working there that you have even offered "advice on how to react to critics ".

Maybe the hotel has given a formal apology but to the guest may just be as OP quoted " a formal/political brush off "? You have to understand that there are many kinds of people in the world and there may be some who give negative feedback and make untrue claims in order to tarnish the reputation of a customer service organisation?

My question to OP was simple and clear cut since he stated in his post, ""the response back from them was nothing short of a diplomatic/political brush-off, so we decided to post a review here"" doesnt that mean if they gave him a proper explaination/compensation he wouldn't?

Don't crack your brain thinking about my question to OP. It was literally just as simple as that. Of course im here because i want to read reviews and base my selection off the reviews.

JoyfulBridetobe

You will know what my answers would be if it's you in our shoes. There's many ways people can interpret our post but as I mentioned our main agenda here is just to create awareness about service quality in the hope of helping future couples make their decisions. Isn't that what reviews are all About??
Yeah and i do appreciate people leaving their feedback because they helps with brides like myself to make my selection.

What is not really clear to me is that you said all they gave you was small "brush off" so you decided to write a post here. It seemed to me that it may have been biased which is why I asked.

Im considering St Regis which is why Im taking your post quite seriously to make my decision.

james4424

It's funny how you assume I'm from St Regis just because i stated something on an extremely neutral standpoint. And you may set your assumptions and dismay aside, I'm not working there. This is just an experience from someone who has once worked in customer service. You seem so adamant about your assumption that im working there that you have even offered "advice on how to react to critics ".

Maybe the hotel has given a formal apology but to the guest may just be as OP quoted " a formal/political brush off "? You have to understand that there are many kinds of people in the world and there may be some who give negative feedback and make untrue claims in order to tarnish the reputation of a customer service organisation?

My question to OP was simple and clear cut since he stated in his post, ""the response back from them was nothing short of a diplomatic/political brush-off, so we decided to post a review here"" doesnt that mean if they gave him a proper explaination/compensation he wouldn't?

Don't crack your brain thinking about my question to OP. It was literally just as simple as that. Of course im here because i want to read reviews and base my selection off the reviews.

I see, well I honestly do find your opinion more biased than what Bryan749's seems to be (to you). Consider this:
there are two ways things can be handled before writing a negative review in a public forum.
1. have a bad experience, report it as is in the forum, end of story
2. have a bad experience, but have a good working relationship (or you think you did) with the person in charge, thought you would give them a chance (after all, shouldn't after-sales services be considered part of the whole deal?) and provide them the feedback. and if reasonable/sincere steps were taken, even though banquet services have not been satisfactory, refrain from going public, because a bad review does not just affect the company itself, but potentially also the staff providing it. if not, then write the review.

I have no good answers to what is the correct approach. 1) benefits the forum users, 2) is more "humane", for lack of better word.
So, it could have been that Bryan749 has chosen the second approach. To then suggest that he is only complaining now because he did not get the compensation he demanded is rather belittling, dont you think?

Bryan749

Yeah and i do appreciate people leaving their feedback because they helps with brides like myself to make my selection.

What is not really clear to me is that you said all they gave you was small "brush off" so you decided to write a post here. It seemed to me that it may have been biased which is why I asked.

Im considering St Regis which is why Im taking your post quite seriously to make my decision.

Well, think of it this way, if their reply had been sincere and not a brush off, it means that they probably took our feedback seriously and improve on the areas lacking, and future couples wouldn't suffer like we did. Obviously they didn't and hence we are convinced that the chances of more people experiencing the same problem as we did is there, hence we wanted to post a review here to let everybody know that the money probably ain't worth it.

Bryan749

For the record, we did NOT demand any compensation and no formal apology was offered......

JoyfulBridetobe

I see, well I honestly do find your opinion more biased than what Bryan749's seems to be (to you). Consider this:
there are two ways things can be handled before writing a negative review in a public forum.
1. have a bad experience, report it as is in the forum, end of story
2. have a bad experience, but have a good working relationship (or you think you did) with the person in charge, thought you would give them a chance (after all, shouldn't after-sales services be considered part of the whole deal?) and provide them the feedback. and if reasonable/sincere steps were taken, even though banquet services have not been satisfactory, refrain from going public, because a bad review does not just affect the company itself, but potentially also the staff providing it. if not, then write the review.

I have no good answers to what is the correct approach. 1) benefits the forum users, 2) is more "humane", for lack of better word.
So, it could have been that Bryan749 has chosen the second approach. To then suggest that he is only complaining now because he did not get the compensation he demanded is rather belittling, dont you think?

Hi user, it is likely here that you are OP's friend and understandable that as a friend and a person who has attended the wedding himself you would have a better picture of the event and definitely understood the situation better.

As I've mentioned earlier, and im going to reiterate this once more, I understand that people tend to over-exaggerate a situation based on their unhappiness about it and OP's post has a line that raised some questions which i felt i needed to clarify in order to make my decision. This really isn't about professionalism or how the world works but a simple question that would affect my final choice. My first post to OP was not an opinion but a question, that i felt the post was leaning towards. All your replies where defending OP's character where I in fact, have little to no interest in.

But thank you, for your replies even though they have been the least helpful and now I feel as though I've wasted my time speaking with you.

OP's latest reply clarified everything for me. Thanks though! Will carry on with my wedding planning. Cheers :)

JoyfulBridetobe

Well, think of it this way, if their reply had been sincere and not a brush off, it means that they probably took our feedback seriously and improve on the areas lacking, and future couples wouldn't suffer like we did. Obviously they didn't and hence we are convinced that the chances of more people experiencing the same problem as we did is there, hence we wanted to post a review here to let everybody know that the money probably ain't worth it.

Thanks! Clarified for me. Will carry on with my wedding plans now! Have a blissful marriage.

Cheers

james4424

Hi user, it is likely here that you are OP's friend and understandable that as a friend and a person who has attended the wedding himself you would have a better picture of the event and definitely understood the situation better.

As I've mentioned earlier, and im going to reiterate this once more, I understand that people tend to over-exaggerate a situation based on their unhappiness about it and OP's post has a line that raised some questions which i felt i needed to clarify in order to make my decision. This really isn't about professionalism or how the world works but a simple question that would affect my final choice. My first post to OP was not an opinion but a question, that i felt the post was leaning towards. All your replies where defending OP's character where I in fact, have little to no interest in.

But thank you, for your replies even though they have been the least helpful and now I feel as though I've wasted my time speaking with you.

OP's latest reply clarified everything for me. Thanks though! Will carry on with my wedding planning. Cheers :)
ha, and now you have wasted more time in telling me you are wasting time in reading my post and replying them, i suppose i should thank you for that. all the best to your wedding preparations, and may you also have friends who would speak up for you when some stranger made some rude remarks (knowingly or unknowingly) about you without realizing their implications, cheers, joyful bride!

Last edited:

JoyfulBridetobe

ha, and now you have wasted more time in telling me you are wasting time in reading my post and replying them, i suppose i should thank you for that. all the best to your wedding preparations, and may you also have friends who would speak up for you when some stranger made some rude remarks (knowingly or unknowingly) about you without realizing their implications, cheers, joyful bride!

Well, im hanging around here because i need suggestions for my wedding. But for a 39 year old male who most likely created an account here with no purpose of seeking out any wedding information but to stand up for your friend... Interesting. Im assuming you have nothing better to do, or you are just part of a bunch of uncultured swines who call for backup at the slightest hint of criticism online.
Also, I do hope you're not 39, coming here and standing up for your friend. 20 may cut it better.
I'll take either. Ciao!

JoyfulBridetobe

what a "brother"you are... though Im sure OP's not some frail, uneducated and well spoken adult who can't stand up for a simple comment like that online, is he? Unless you're telling me otherwise. Or that you guys are just way too sensitive.

Bryan749

what a "brother"you are... though Im sure OP's not some frail, uneducated and well spoken adult who can't stand up for a simple comment like that online, is he? Unless you're telling me otherwise. Or that you guys are just way too sensitive.

Hey... I think there's really no need to continue arguing further my friend. It's just something that I posted to review St Regis. If you or any other potential bride/groom find it useful I'm happy, if not then just take it with a pinch of salt and that's it. You dont know us and we dont know you so no point trying to judge each other over online media.

I sincerely hope you find yourself a good venue and have a good wedding, all the best ya!