Regent Singapore

H

happy sunny

hi,

want to know more of the food and service of Regent Hotel wedding banquet. I want good ambiences while my bf and his family want good food. The budget not more than $800 and around 30-35 tables.

Thanks

A

auds

Hi Happy Sunny,

Personally I didn't like Regent because of the low ceiling in the ballroom and the lack of a proper cocktail area. Since the big ballroom is on level 1, they will section off one area of the lobby for your reception. It's not that exclusive in that sense since visitors (walk-in or hotel guests) can just "see see look look" at ur wedding. But heard that food's good at The Regent.

Why don't you consider Conrad? It works out to be slightly below S$80 nett per head. It's a table of 12. Ambience is good too. Sheraton's got good food too but the ballroom's L-shaped.

happysunny

hi Auds,
I now get a bit pek chai (frustrated) in trying to find a place to hold the wedding dinner. We have to consider 1)food 2) price 3) ambience with different people having different proity. My bf seem to have his mind on Noble house but I found that the price is not as competive as the othr restaurant and we have to spend some money on decorating. Guest will be coming with the expectation of a restaurant and if you have the high end of the menus which come out to be 600-700, we will have a lot to fork out. Well, I know that dinner is not to 'earn' money but we do have quite a lot others to pay .. .... sigh
well, sunny is not that happy after all... ...hee...hee...

hwey

Hmm....pardon me for saying this. But it is your wedding, your banquet. Please yourself, not others.

A

auds

I think a wedding is not just abt what the bride wants. There's also the groom, our parents and his parents. If insisting on your choice of venue will sour the relationship with the above pple, not so good. We still got to face them (in-laws) for a gd number of yrs. As an outsider coming into a new family, better not to stir up too much fuss.

We hv to understand that there's no way every guest at the dinner will be happy. Everyone got different tastebuds and opinions abt food and decor. Just try to compromise a little on both sides of the family. I understand what u r going thru cos I had to face the same nonsense. Luckily my b/f and me hv the same opinions on venue. Just his parents and ur thinking a little different.

BTW, I agree on the restaurant part. People may not be so generous thinking that restaurant equals cheap. But the food's really gd at Noble House. Heard a lot of positive comments.

happysunny

hi,

I sort of thinking of going to extremes. That is, if one is going for good food, goes all out for it. Now I am considering the former restaurant 88 (now known as River City restaurant) or regent or may be Conrad as Auds suggest (the posh hotel within budget).

I did not see the Regent hotel in wedding decor, but my bf did comment that the ceiling is a bit low. However, I like the overall grand feeling it gives. Not very sure about Conrad, will go to have a look sometime next week.

So, where will Auds and Hwey have your dinner?

hwey

Hi Happpysunny. Hwey here.

My banquet will be held in Mandarin. My in-laws and parents didn't raise any objection or comment about our choice. Though my parents told me I could have chose a good restaurant instead of a hotel. I told them it has always been my dream to hold my banquet at a hotel. Since my husband and I can't hold it at our "dream" hotels (eg Hotel Intercontinental, Regent, Fullerton and Conrad), we have chosen one which is still within our budget.

As for tastebuds, we didn't bother so much cos we can't please 350 people. No matter what we do, where we hold our banquet, for sure, there will be people who complain. Topics of complains can range widely, from food, service, accessibility, the hotel ambience and decor, etc.

Hence, so long as we are happy, we go ahead with the booking. We do not want to choose a venue to please others, and then live with the thought "If only I have......"

kpo

Huh? I thot Regent's ballroom has got quite a high ceiling wat? For a really spacious & grand ballroom with high ceiling...u've gotto check out Grand Copthorne...it's within your budget & really nice.

dessie

Regent has good food, so does Conrad. In fact, I don;t think there are many hotels around known for their 'good food' for banquets. So Regent will make a pretty good choice. I have heard good reviews for the Grand Copthorne and Merchant Court hotel as well.

happysunny

hi , can't meet the minimum requirement for both Grand Copthorne and Merchant court
sad.gif
My max can only be 30-35. Don't want to be too stressed out to invite people for the sake of filling up tables.
Being to Conrad for a look, compared with Regent,the hall of Regent is nicer but the ball room of Conrad seem to be nicer. Have not seen both the ballroom under wedding decorations so maybe they will look very different then.

Read in the forum, I think it says something that the Conrad charges for everything and Regent people more accomodating.

Also being to the new restaurant 88 shifted near City Hall, the hall is not that nice and some of the tables cannot see the stage. Maybe also consider their sister restaurant Dragon Gate.

Very 'ruan' (confused).

kpo

Hey Happysunny,

Did u try negotiating the min. no. of tables with Grand Copthorne? My friend only had 35 tables for her Saturday banquet. She managed to get them to reduce the min. no.

happysunny

hi,
maybe if they reduced the number of min table, they will increased the charge per table? So, mints, what is your min tables? 35 tables is slightly 'risky'.Will reconsider this 2 hotels.Thanks all of you.

kpo

hi happysunny,

nope...they didn't increase the price per table...it was juz part of the "perks"! anyway...if your banquet is on a weekday...it's even easier to get them to close one eye on the min. no. of tables...my other fren's banquet @ Ritz...she only had 35 tables..(min. no. of tables is 45 i think). no harm asking them.

mints

hi happysunny,
My min. tables is 33. KPO is right..you have more bargaining power if your banquet is on weekday...& especially if you book late like me...confirmed in Feb, wedding in May. No, not shotgun wedding hor...;>

happysunny

hi,

kpo, you really match up with your name;p
kidding.
Yeah, how your friend managed to get 35 tables on weekend at Grand Corpthone(I assume is 45 min on sat)? who did she laise with? I will then look for the person
happy.gif
I really admire those that can bargain. For me, I always tongue tight and if they say no, or raise up their voice, gone case for me. My boyfriend even worse, he don't even bother to bargain for things. Very 'high and mighty' as I always say. I read in the forum for grand corthorn, they say the food there is only so so and not really that great. kpo, you being there, what say you?
Mint, you really very 'brave', your wedding date is only 3 months away from your confirmation and they say for merchant court you must at least book 1 yr ahead. I think you are not so particular with the date, right? My bf family even want to check that our birhdays do not clash with the date before they give the ok sign.
(eyes rolling skywards)

kpo

hey happysunny,

i really dunno how my friend managed to bargain for the reduction in min. no. of tables...will ask her the next time I meet her ok? must really be quite thick-skinned when negotiating for freebies lah...it'll help if you ask them nicely too.

i thot the ballrm is really big & spacious...not to mention new! the view of the landscaped garden is also quite interesting...the stage is also big & can take a huge gang of "yam seng-ers"!

the food was quite good...some of the dishes that my friend had chosen were quite unique...we had 1 waiter @ our table to serve us the food individually...service was generally good that day...but not sure if it's b'cos they had some VVIPs? i did read from somewhere abt poor service & lousy food. it really depends on luck lah...

the hotel is quite inconvenient though...the wedding cards that they provide are yucky!
lame.gif

mints

Hi happysunny,
I'm a queen of procrastination. Hubby & I don't like things to be too well planned, in case something crops up and we'd get disappointed. My hubby actually wanted the wedding to be in March, but I told him absolutely no way. As for the date - my mom picked a few auspicious dates in May and we choose from there. Luckily the date we want was still available. MC told me that their weekends have been fully booked until Feb next year.

As for bargaining power, I think it depends on the hotel and chemistry betw yourself & the banquet mgr. If you can click with them then things will be alot easier. For me I'm too cheapo, so I just had to be thick skinned and ask for things. hehe

KPO....aiyer...i know i have abit of tummy lah.. don't "suan" leh :p

kpo

Hey mints,

aiyah...i don't mean it that way...(anyway, I don't believe u have a tummy ok! :p)...

wat i mean is that ur wedding is such a rush...it's not something ppl will do under normal circumstances...only for shortgun cases mah!

when's ur wedding actually? how much time are u giving doreen to make your dress? btw...how much did she charge u for it hah? from your description of the dress last nite...shld be quite ex right?
lame.gif

all the best for your mock-up fitting tonite!

H

happysuny

headache,

summary
Regent-food good, location inconvenient, no proper reception area, nice lobby, low ceiling
Conrad-inconvenient , food- mix comment,nice ambience with good reception area, high ceiling
grandcorpthone-nice ambience, inconvenient, food and service depends on luck, must bargain like mad for min table and other freebies
merchant court- good food, not convenient, nice ambience and bargain for min table and seat covers

so, mint you got free seat covers?

er...... how come all the hotels i look at have not good locations???

YOu all must have migrate from other forum topic as I don't know who doreen is
happy.gif

mints

Hi happysunny,
It really depends on what your priorities are for your wedding. I think all the 4 hotels you shortlisted have nice ambience. If food ranks highest on your list, then I suggest go for Regent/MC. If convenience is more impt to you, then Conrad seems to be the best choice. First decide on what kind of wedding you want with your fiance, it will be much easier to work from there.

KPO, I think we kinda diverted the topic a little...see my post in "Idle Chit-Chat" hor.. :p

happysunny

hi all,

sob sob sob... ... being to Grandcorpthone to have a look, met the sales marketing manager when we were looking in at the ball room. She chat us up and when told her abt hearing people having 35 tables on sat, she said: "who say one???" and she said she can only try to reduce the min table to 40 for sun but for sat, it is 45. Who needs her help to reduce it to 40,the booklet said so very clearly, she thought we never read our staff.

fuming... ... so, one choice down.

By the way, not complaining abt you all saying something else, just blur blur and want to know what happens.

kpo

Hi happysunny,

Wat a b*itch
angry.gif
...my friend's wedding wasn't that long ago - February 2001.

Maybe they only agreed to reduce the no. of tables 'cos there were VVIP guests for my friend's wedding...good publicity mah!

Anyway...forget G. Copthorne lah...since they are so not accomodating. I know Regent (Evelyn) is very accomodating & flexible.

Try Hotel Intercontinental? Beautiful ballroom! I heard the bridal suite is also breath-taking! Slightly more expensive as compared to Conrad though.

How about hotels like Four Seasons? Marroit? Goodwood Park? Grand Hyatt? Westin?

annie

Hi happysunny

I can say somethin abt Hotel Intercon coz i having my banquet there. The ballroom is big with a high ceiling, no pillars. If you have 30-35 tables it'll be just right, that's the no. of tables i'm having too. The best thing abt the ballroom is they haf a super long walkway right in the middle of the room hehehheeh so can walk very long and show off gown :pPPP They also haf a private cocktail area which is very nice.

As for the bridal suite, i don't think it's anything spectacular, i particularly don't like th idea of not having an adjoining bathroom, so i requested for one with an adjoining bathroom. I hear there's onli one suite like that in the hotel, so gotta take our chances. I believe they do offer packages under $800 per table, especially on weekdays. The food is quite good, and transport is convenient. And you can take ur photos with the beautiful sunlight-streaming-in old panel windows in the hotel ;)

If you looking for grand type of hotel i don't think Intercon will be the best choice, it has a more cosy and warm sort of ambience. Why not make an appointment to go see it?

Good luck!
happy.gif

kpo

Hey how about Fullerton?? But I heard all the weekends of 2001 are fully booked?? dunno real anot! Didn't think the hotel was that great leh...it made me feel so claustrophobic
crazy.gif

happysunny

hi,
just ROM last sat
happy.gif
OK, one task done. Though rom,i did not idle. I realised the sat i rom was actually an 'auspicious day' so i went around orchard area to look at the banquet set up. Being to Hillton, conrad, regent. I have pretty poor memory, but i think ball room wise, hillton and regent abt the same. Both of them have pillars in them, hillton 4, i think regent 2. both are not so brightly lit. I think that is what they called romatic. Aud is right, regent really have no private reception area and the reception table is placed infront of an entrance and other hotel guest might be looking at you when they walk past. Hillton is more convenient but it does not give the 'class' look like regent and conrad. conrad ballroom set up is the best i see, however, strangly, it has quite noisy main lobby, the noise level from the lounge i guest and it looks pretty small, maybe too many people unlike regent's main lobby still gives people serene and class feeling.
Another hotel i am considering is corphone harbour view. My bf say by looking at the menu, the food is not bad and the hotel is ok. Personally I have not being to it, so not much to comment.
well, will start on my hunt for the banquet soon.

A

auds

Hi happysunny,

Best of luck in finding a suitable place ... After these little logistics are settled, planning the wedding starts to get fun. I had lots of fun designing the gown and stuff. Am sure u will too after this phase is over. Good Luck!

S

sheeny

I am about to place a deposit with Regent Hotel. However I find their corkage charge for wine is quite expensive. Some hotels like Marina Mandarin, Hyatt etc can be waived off. Anyone what to share your experiences, especially with Regent Hotel on this? Thanks in advance!

kiki

Sheeny,
I think that is a cost have to bear with if u choose Regent.
sad.gif
I have tried to waive it while booking with them but the manager said can not. The best she could help with me is to reduce the charge of wine. It is also depending on the amount u r going to bring in.

For my case, most likely i will not serve wines but hard liquer instead.

tintin

Hi Kiki

Thanks for your reply. I guess I have no choice but to pay the corkage charge for wine because most of my guess are wine drinkers. However have you done any survey or any knowledge on other hotels (esp. 5-Star ones) on their corkage charges?

Thanks/Sheeny

kiki

Sheeny,
As i know, Marina Mandarin and Hilton doesn't have any wine corkage charges. Any hotel r u particular interested? From the hotel wedding package brochure, u could know whether there is wine corkage charge.

If ur guests r most wine drinkers, then it will be very costly to book with Regent. Maybe u could estimate how many bottles u might need, then check with ur account manager at Regent for the best price he/she could offer.

If u r not particular on Regent hotel, u might check with Marina Mandarin, their package is quite attractive. They even provide free flow of beer for 2002 package.

tintin

Hi Kiki

I went to MM for wedding dinner a few months back and was disappointed with their food. I don't think I will choose Hilton cos my mind is more or less set on Regent. BTW have you make the booking with Regent? For how many people?

Thanks
Tintin (Sheeny)

curious

Hi,

I have booked a weekend package with regent but when i tried to ask whether they can actually reduce the number of min table, they refuse. anyone has a similar encounter?

corica

Hi curious

That's exactly what happened to me. I booked 55 tables at Pan Pacific...but after doing some calcuation, i realised i may only need 50 tables afterall...so i called my coordinator to ask if she would allow me to reduce to 50 instead...but she said no, cos we already signed the contract and they need us to fulfil the agreed total cost. But she did give me an option to reduce to 50, but up the menu so that per table is more expensive, but the total revenue would still add up to the same initial amount. Why don't you suggest that to your coordinator to see if they can accomodate ur request?

cheers

I had my banquet there.Food & Service were excellent.Evelyn Tai is the Wedding Consultant.She has been a GREAT help in co-ordinating the the event.

abc

Hi Cheers,

I liase with Evelyn Tai too. Quite a nice lady. The minus part of the hotel however is that not much people is aware of its location (what a shame). It's unbelieving... many couples still focus very much on the hotels in Town and marina area. Well maybe Regent is somewhat out of the place.
Would like to check with you if you brought in wine for your banquet? And if so, did you start serving right at the start of the cocktail? How many bottles did your guests consume? Thanks.

C

chupachup

Hi abc

I attended a wedding dinner at Regent not long ago and i hope that by sharing with you, it will help in ur decision making.

1. Food - ample serving and most of the guests complimented that the food was good.

2. Cocktail area & reception area - very small. My friend's ballroom is at the 2nd level corner. But i believe if urs is the 1st level, it'll be bigger?

3. Parking - easy to find parking, unlike other hotels where their parking is together with the shopping malls, which makes it difficult to get a lot especially on a Sat. But location may be slightly inconvenient for those who don't drive cos it's quite a far walk frm the MRT.

4. Service - prompt.Sufficient waiters for the tables.

5. Suite - big enough if you want to have a tea ceremony prior to ur dinner. There's a seperate hall to the rm.

6. Ballroom - the ballroom is very long, therefore, guests sitting behind weren't able to see what's happening on stage. But again, this is the 2nd level ballroom. My friend had abt 20 tables.Decor was also simple and minimum. Nothing WOW.

7. Invitation Card - very nice and classy unlike the usual red coloured kind.

That's all i have for now...hope it helps
happy.gif

abc

Thanks Chupachap, and yes I do agree that the location is a little off especially for those who do not drive.
Cheers.

cheers

Regent provided me with maps of the hotel for the guests so that was not a problem.I brought in wine & the do charge for the corkage. Could not really remember how many bottles the guests consumed(approx 12 bottles of white & 36 bottles of red).I had about 43 tables in the Grand Ballroom. We started serving wine only during the dinner. Cocktails were soft drinks & beer.

abc

Cheers,

It seemed like wine is only popular with certian people. I checked with many people whose wedding had just been over. They said they did not even think about wine. But since my group of guests are made up of 5% ang mohs and that my friends are wine drinkers, it is better to provide it. I would probably settle for only 35 tables (the minimum) and I have bought 1 carton of Penfolds white and 3 cartons of Penfolds red. Hopefully it is sufficient. Don't want to malu at the end of the dinner in case it is not enough.

Evelyn told me that it is better not to serve wine during cocktail as there are many people who hold the wine glass with the wine as a form of exhibit to so called reflect their "class" while chatting with their friends. At the end of the cocktain, these wine was actually left on the table still undrank. Wonder how true is it... but I guess to certain extent, it should be true. I kindda trust her quite a bit.

kiki

abc,
R u aware of the cockage charge for wine in Regent Hotel?

Am having my wedding banquet in regent hotel. So far i have the food-tasting session n am quite pleased with the food.

If u interested, will share with u more when my banquet is done.
happy.gif

abc

Hi Kiki,

When is your wedding banquet? Should be within this month since you have gone for food tasting. Regent is well known for the good food they serve which is one of the most important things to me. I used to think that it is not impirtant to have good food, just the class and the ambience but guessed I'm wrong. When I asked around, many people commented that food quality leaves the first and last impression of the wedding dinner and not how great and gorgeous the couple looks or how well it is planned.
I know they charge corkage at about $20 a bottle. Hope I can negotiate with Evelyn Tai for a better deal.
biggrin.gif

Pls tell me more when your banquet is done.

kiki

abc,
Yup, in Jan.
happy.gif
Will tell u more when is done. But at the mean time, if anything need check, will try to help u.

BTW, for sure, u could get the better deal from Evelyn. I think $20 is a lot. Myself won't get red/white wines there but liqures.

abc

Kiki,

Do they charge for the dummy cake? I believe that only the lowest tier is made of real cake. What do you do with the cake later? Do you keep them for your own consumption back in the hotel room or distribute it to the parents' (red) table? And also the projector is chargeable as well? Did they provide floral arrangements on that day as well?

Sorry for asking so much but I really need to know.
embarrassed.gif
Thanks!

kiki

abc,
I tot the dummy cake is included in the package right? I think will distribute the cake for VIPs. Wat do u mean floral arrangement? Isn't part of ballroom decor? If so, it is done by regent too.

I will check on the projector thing when meet up with Evelyn.

Don't worry, u can always ask me questions. however, just feel myself also not so clear at this stage. I might give u more infor when i settle details with Evenlyn later since my wedding is near.
happy.gif

tintin

Kiki/abc
The projector thing is chargeable. I think it is a few hundred dollars. Floral arrangement is included in the package but I would say nothing fantastic about their arrangement. I had my banquet in November last year.

abc
I had 21 tables and my guests consumed 2 cartons of wine. In fact I brought in 3 cartons but only used 2. If most of your guests drink wine, be prepared to bring in more cos Evelyn told me they charge around $50 p/bot.