Regent Singapore

heart

Hi Kevin, & dimished_sixth,

then what should be consider a win-win contract.
Can advise? I will be signing my this weekend.

huiling

HI kevin, thanks for alerting us to the clauses! I will bring the matter up with my coordinator.

hallo tougei, so margaret prefers Leon? do update us on friday! actually I initaially wanted margaret too. i like her very much.

diminished_6th

Hi casy,

I don't think anyone would be able to get a win-win contract but maybe you ought to ask why their clauses are different from the other hotels out there. I highly doubt that the hotel will allow any changes to their letter of agreement. But now that you have this knowledge, at least you'll excercise caution before cancelling your banquet in the future.

kevinng

Yes. It's not a win-win contract. They have the ballroom, and you don't. To a certain extent, they have the upper hand. However, if the contract is not something you can swallow, then be prepared to walk away.

Just make sure the contract is something you can live with. If they take out certain clauses, they may have to incur insurance cost. It's about knowing on whose side of the fence do the risks lie. You may think about insuring these risks if insurance is available.

They told me that all Four Seasons hotels have the same clauses. Apparently, other hotels are not so punitive, according to my friends. So this is something to think about.

Of course, we all hope that the wedding goes as planned and nothing goes wrong. But as with all matters in life, bad things do happen. That's why the hotels put the clauses there to protect themselves. But they should not put these clauses there so that they can profit from them. If you think about it, with the current clause, it makes more sense for the hotel if you cancel the wedding, since they do no work, incur no cost, but get the whole revenue. They probably double their profit this way.

As with all things that require you to sign on the dotted line, be very very careful. Luckily for me, I took a course in contract law and business law.

tou2

Hi Bugbear. I had chosen dates on Fridays and Sundays but since Regent's Sun is the same price as Sat, I decided on Friday lor
happy.gif
Good also lar, Sun got work on the next day so abit shao xin also.

Hi Huiling, yar I remember last time you were telling us that you are considering Margaret too. So what made you choose Wedding Present then? By the way, were you at Orchard today? Thot I saw someone like you
happy.gif

bugbear

Tou..oh i c. It's kind of weird that Regent put Fri all on it's own...i thought usually Fri and Sun should be same price.
happy.gif

kevinng

I have no choice... It must be Friday 13 for us, because the elders have spoken. The next acceptable day is Jun 25, which has been fully booked all across Singapore (for our required banquet size).
sad.gif

huiling

hallo tougei! haha, i thought i saw someone familiar too, and it is you! so paiseh, the last time I also thought i saw Jan snow but it turn out to be someone else. so now i'm more careful
happy.gif

actually i hit off very well with margaret but the thing is she does not do any rental of gowns. from the few gowns that i have seen at her place and from magazines, i think our styles are quite different although I never doubted her ability to understand my taste. however, when i went to the wedding present, they actually have a few gowns that are exactly what i looked for in a design. so i felt that since between wedding present and myself, we already have similar taste, there would be more synergy when i discussed designs with them
happy.gif

so have you met margaret yet?

HI kevin, how many tables are you looking at?

kevinng

I have many tables... that's the problem. My package is for Friday. I have to max out the ballroom because in-laws need many tables. If I cancel, for any reason, I'll be completely screwed. That's why I need to negotiate the clause. You can just imagine... 100% revenue of many tables equals much money! I will be 100% at risk for 4 months! Sigh....

sharkfynn

but if you find "replacement" and all that? will they still make u pay the 100%? I always thought the clauses were there just to protect the hotel. But if you cant make it on that day, they will sell the venue. And unless in the event that they are not able to, then you have to take the date. what if you change days? does the penalty still apply?

klkh

Hi Kevin,

What you can do is to sign up for the minimium no. of tables that the hotel requires you to. Nearer the date you up the no. of tables.

You need to confirm the no. of tables to Regent about one week before AD. I just had my wedding dinner there last saturday. The whole dinner coordination was good and the banquet coordinator was professional and polite. Talk to the coordinator about your problems and ask them for a solution.

No regrets choosing Regent. It has been a wonderful wedding.

bugbear

Hi Klkh...care to share with me more abt ur experience with Regent?? The food? Service? Is the food portion good? Or is it small in portion? Did you use the new or old themes? I trying to find out more about the ensemble
happy.gif

klkh

Hi BugBear,

The good comments I received are that our wedding favours are really meaningful and cute. We chose the figurines with an old man and lady. These figurines comes in 4 different types, on an aeroplane, driving a benz, sitting on a bench and on a bike. It symbolize " bai tou dao lao". Everybody said they are so unique.

My relatives and friends also commented that the hotel is very grand and the tables must be very expensive.

So far, no comments about the food though. I didn't eat much that night. I asked one of my friends how's the food. She said the food was good. But of course good friends will always say the food was good even though it's not. So not sure....

bugbear

Hi klkh....hey...i have seen those figurines as favours in another hotel and i personally loved it!! Very cute!

Hhmm...ok, so overall no one actually commented the food wasn't food, etc. Good to know that.
Thanks!

busybee

hi tougei!
mine would be on a friday too.
happy.gif
initially, we wanted a saturday which was already taken up (could it be you, huiling?
wink.gif
) and the next available option was the friday slot. with the 5 day work week implemented in the civil service, think the hubs and i neednt worry too much about the turn up.

fynn,
we did ask patrina about it, cos we thought that was like kinda harsh too but she told us as long as the date we're changing to is available, the penalty shouldnt apply. yep, the clauses are definitely there to protect the hotel but i told her not many people would turn their backs on 5000 bucks without careful consideration.
happy.gif

tou2

Hi Huiling, I went to Margaret like....5 times liao hehe. Twice before we signed, and today was my third time down to discuss the WG. In fact, she said I haven't seemed to make up my mind about the design yet so she will give me another month - Have to decide by Dec. I know for sure what I want for the front of the gown but not the back
sad.gif
Hmm... can you tell me what is your dream design then? Do you like those contemporary WGs?

I will PM you her comments on the MUA ok?

Hi klkh, you are back so fast after your wedding?? Hehe why aren't you on your honeymoon
biggrin.gif
?? Do you have feedback on the service? In the FBO thread, there was a guest who commented that there aren't enough waiters to go around and hence the service was slow. One of my main reasons for choosing Regent was that the service is good so now I'm abit worried
sad.gif

Hi Bugbear, I saw another hotel with Friday package as separate - think it's GWP? Or I may be wrong?? Actually I like Friday cos' I think more ppl may be in the "mood" since no work tomolo mah. Hopefully then they will stay till dessert since I planned to serve western dessert. Whereas Sat is also very good but it's too expensive for us
sad.gif

Oh, I saw the wedding favour of rose tea in test tubes - very romantic too. Heard that it's good for one (small) cup of tea
happy.gif

huiling

hallo all,

just went to check my PM and realise that i have actually received a few PM. sorry have not been checking. will reply soon. am too tired tonight.

hey tougei.

thanks for the PM, will reply soon. yawn, very tired, can't think. BTW, what is FBO? and what is your western dessert?

hallo busybee, how many tables are you looking at? which is the function room that have been booked? i have not booked anything yet. hehe.

iluydia

hihi

i had my wedding 1 day after klkh. the ballroom was wonderful and so was the ambience but not the food. guess I must say something so that future couples can take the chance to ask during food tasting. i realise that in this thread, comments about food has always been pretty good which was why i choose the hotel but things do happen on the actual day which is beyond your control. afterall it is once is a lifetime wedding, you want it to be close to perfect!!

was disappointed but i guess that can't be helped :p not that i bother though but it will always be nice to have guests raving about your wedding ( ambience, food etc ).

we had bi feng tang for the chicken dish and it didn't looked like it had 1 whole chicken in there, not even half cos my cousins were all fighting to get a piece and some of the pieces were like parts of a thigh but you can't see the rest anywhere.

i oni ate the 1st 2 dishes though...the cold dish didn't taste as good compared to the food tasting either. my wedding coordinator said that the previous day the singapore immigration didn't allow the pig/pork (not sure ...hehe ) to pass through and so we had a replacement..i think that was the killer cos my favourite dish was the suckling pig!!!

kelvin

the min # of tables on Friday should be around 30/35? You can sign the contract based on that. nearer to the date if you max out to 50, you just need to tell your coordinaotr about 2 weeks in advance.

tougei

service wise it was pretty good as it is 1 waiter per table. however, some guests will definitely comment since the waiter might not serve them promptly due to request for additional wine, beer etc which they might need to check with the banquet manager and the banquet manager might need to check with the coordinator of your wedding ( usually your hubby's brother/fren )

that's all for now...anything else, you ladies/gentleman can post and ask me.

i am not sure if the menu for 2005 is the same though....

iluydia

kevin

we read the clause very carefully as well. including the part about additional charges incurred if the tearing down takes place about 11pm etc but if you feel uncomfortable, tell your coordinator.

the cancellation charges for regent are pretty similar to typical 5/6 star hotel. if u really need to cancel, some hotels will allow you to get them a replacement so that's fair. otherwise the hotel will lose 30k+ of the revenue since you backout of the wedding on that day, even though it happened 4 months prior.

kevinng

Thanks everyone. I spoke with the coordinator again. We agreed that we will work with the minimum of 30 tables. That will bring the cancellation down quite a bit, closer to what I had in mind.

Of course we will try to find replacements if we were to cancel. However, if we fail to find any, we will have to bite the loss, and we must be prepared for it if we sign it.

I agree that the hotels will lose the revenue. My point is, they will not incur most of the costs either. So, the profit is not the full revenue. We are supposed to compensate them for their profit, not revenue. My minimum tables was initially 45. That's a whopping $39000 in cancellation charges. If the hotel went through with the event, do you think that their profit is $39000? I think at most half of that. If close to the event, they would have bought stuff and made arrangements for your wedding, so full compensation is fair. But 4 months before? What costs have they incurred? So, half the revenue would have been fair if it's anything other than 30 days before the event.

The cancellation charges vary from hotel to hotel. There may be some similar ones, but there are those that are fairer. Most of my friends say that their clauses were not so punitive. All Four Seasons Hotels have the same clause.

I'm not saying that they are doing a bad thing. A contract is an agreement between 2 parties. The hotel will try to draft things to their favour. Of course, if I were to draft a contract, I will draft something to my favour. We little people have less bargaining power, so we always end up on the losing end... but just try not to agree with things you cannot live with. If you don't agree with the clause, you don't have to sign it. Hence I am just trying to negotiate until I arrive at something I agree with... and I'd suggest to anyone to do the same.

Swing to the other side. There's nothing to stop us from drafting our letter of agreement for the hotel to sign. We can put in all sorts of clauses that are in our favour, but do you think the hotel will sign it? So why are you signing their contract without taking a very close look at it? If you don't understand it, pass it to a friend who does.

But we have to be reasonable too. If both parties are reasonable, I believe we can find a solution.

bugbear

Hi Tou...heheh...i did not think of the 5-day work week thingy. By my time, think companies would have switched to 5days...so better to book earlier, else later Fri also bcome of the most ex day
happy.gif
What western dessert are u serving? Need to top up any extras?

bugbear

Hi Jessica, thanks for sharing those pics with us. I find the cake quite unqiue. Usually, it's those normal 3-tier...but this is in fact quite nice!

tou2

Hi Huiling, no problem. Take your time to reply me lar. FBO is FemaleBridesOnline forum
happy.gif

Hi BugBear, yep need to top up extra for the dessert - about $70 per table. I thot that it will make the dinner abit more special and since it's the last course, I hope that the guest will go away with a good impression
happy.gif

You are given a few choices of dessert I think. Two of them are those that are on the weekend menus (too bad not the Fri one) - the pistacho mousse and the cashew mango tart. I tried the pistacho before, ok only lar. But they have this banana spring roll with ice cream - very nice
happy.gif

Hi iluydia, sorry to hear about the food
sad.gif
Yar, I also think that food tasting is always not a good representative cos' on the dinner the kitchen has to prepare for 300 guests so it's difficult to keep the standard. But the ambience and the service is equally important rite? I think your guests will have good memory on that
happy.gif

Hi Jessica. Thanks for the pics!! I agree that the cake is very sweet with all the little cherubs. Very unusual *thumbs up*

bugbear

Hi Jessica, my wedding is still far far away :p postponed it to 2006.

Tou, u need to pay so much to change the dessert ar? Hhmm...then not much difference to the Passion III price already right? Din know that to change to western dessert still need to top up so much
happy.gif

bugbear

oh dear...Regent refused to put that clause? Does other hotels put in that clause? I have seen quite a few couples looking for replacements from other hotels. Seems like Regent is quite rigid abt stuffs like this. If they don allow replacement, then for sure the hotel earns that sum.

Hhmm...Kevin, u going to sign with them then?

pork_chops

Kevin, there is a clause in the contract stating that Regent need to do their clean up by 11pm? Is it? But nowadays most weddings end then leh ...

chubbyrain

Hi pork chops & bugbear,
hmm, actually, their clauses dun seem harsh to me leh, its quite normal.. i work in an MNC, i tink my company has harsher contracts.. hahaha..
most hotels include the clauses to protect themselves, but usually they wun enforce it. so dun worry too much lah.. so many couples hv had their wedding banquet at regent n haven heard anyone tryin to sue them or regent cancel on them last min etc rite? dun believe u would b tt suay
happy.gif

they need to uphold their standard as a 5-star hotel.. they take pride in customer service. so if ur dinner ends at 11 plus, u can bargain wif them, they wun b so rigid..
juz my 2 cents worth of tots, not tryin to provoke anyone here..
happy.gif

hope everyone will hv a nice n wonderful wedding!

bugbear

Heheh...chubbyrain...good to hear from you. True lor...hardly heard any couples suing hotels or what...think so far, the worst i heard was the oriental case :p I was quite shocked when i heard that. So stressful for those couples affected
happy.gif

kevinng

The contract only says that if you request to extend the function timing, you have to pay extra. So, whatever you do, do not request to extend the function.

... and Chubbyrain. I know that a lot of MNCs have very harsh clauses, but that does not make it any more right. Also, not all the clauses are enforceable.

... also, it is that one clause that stands out as being very unfair. Which is why I needed to have a work-around.

Regent will not cancel on you. There is no incentive for them to do so. They want to run the event so that they can make money. If anything should happen, it's usually unplanned... like the Oriental case.

Similarly, if we are to cancel the event, it will also be unplanned.

We do not put in ridiculous clauses... like we can demand that if they cancel the event, they will compensate us with the full revenue of the event that they will not run.

Since we do not put in ridiculous clauses, why is it right for them to do it?

Unfortunately, a contract between 2 parties has a lot to do with bargaining power. There are only these few ballrooms that can accomodate the number of tables, and Regent seems to run the best show. You can find other hotels with less punitive clauses, but they cannot really compare in terms of quality.

At the end of the day, all we can do is to keep our eyes open when we sign the contract.

Do you know why nobody ever sues these hotels? It's because the clauses are so clear, there's nothing to sue. You just pay up and keep quiet. Why? Because who is to blame? You agreed to the clauses right?

kevinng

What I am really saying is, try to negotiate for something you can live with before you sign the contract... because you will have to bear the consequences.

chubbyrain

Hi kevin,
aiya, not trying to start an argument wif u.. can understand ur frustration, cos u like the hotel n yet they hv tt clause tt u cant live wif..
ya lor, those harsh clauses which MNC uses definitely not rite, but me small fry, cant fight the evil matrix :p
i tink the coordinators cant do much things abt the contract bec they dun hv the authority to.. i hope u can settle this issue wif regent
happy.gif
dun worry, enjoy ur wedding prep!
happy.gif

Hi bugbear,
ya lor, i tink it was quite stressful for those oriental couples.. but for those who managed to find replacement hotel tt are better in standard compared to oriental, i tink it was a blessing in disguise
happy.gif

heart

Hi Kevin, and disminish 6th,

does most hotel give free video montage. or we hv to rent?
what are the things that i can really ask for complimentary, rather then believe that i hv to rent, cos the hotel also rent from some others.

sharkfynn

Ask for parking, seat covers, extra room for tea ceremony, if you going to max out the place, then push for more amenities!!!

Unfortunately (and I fully respect that), the hotels outsource their projector and montage services. So its not really feasible for them to throw that in as a freebie. I personally think you are better off working on other more tangible things that is "in-house". For stuff like flowers and decor, I was told they also outsource it.

*Takes out Biz Law book to read.* I'm no lawyer but I think I am protected under the law of equity so I am personally not worried even though I have signed to "waive my right". Just make sure I don't trash the room like a rock star. haha.

kevinng

I got a few perks because I will max out their place. However, their perks do not compare well with other hotels like Mandarin. Mandarin offered us all the perks before we even asked.

Regent refused to give us an extra day in the suite, and we have to pay if we want an extra room overnight for helpers.

On the other hand, Regent's food and decor is amongst the best... My fiance loves the place, so I will go with it. Just trying to give her a dream wedding.
happy.gif

kevinng

The video projector and montage is part of the 'amenities', which can be selected. You can select 3 amenities. Alternatively, you can pay $350 for it, if you want to reserve your 'amenities' for something else.

Actually, seat covers is part of the 'amenities'. I thought that was complete rubbish. Have you been to a wedding without seat covers? Might as well hold it at void deck. The coordinator gave them to us for 'free' and made it sound like she's doing us a big favour.

Dealing with Regent is one big negotiation process, from the 'amenities' to the contract. I do hope that the negotiation ends here... I just want to focus on the wedding.

sharkfynn

hahhaha.. ya!! I know what you mean!! We also shortlisted Mandarin coz everything was like free one! Pre dinner snacks, extra night, waiver of corkage,free beer, room for helpers. Then we saw the room and we were like... oh no wonder. Even the Ballroom looks kinda not-very-nice.

Actually I don't think its a fair comparison lah. If you are looking at Regent maybe you should be comparing with hotels like Fullerton and Four Seasons. They are also have rigid flexibility.
happy.gif

huiling

hallo kevin, since you have signed with Regent, let's hope for the best (anyway, i'm sure things will turn out well) and be excited about the wedding. I'm sure all the brides in here are excited to help one another out with the wedding prep
happy.gif
so sit back and really enjoy the whole process?
happy.gif
your fiance must be very happy that you put her preference first!
happy.gif