Raffles Hotel

R

rafflesian

Hi All,

Anybody has ever attended a wedding dinner at Raffles Hotel b4? Can I have your comments please? ambience? food? services?

?

:

Hi,

yes, I have attended my cousin's wedding at RH. The place is a bit bit small.........and the lighting is a bit gloomy...........the food is not too bad and the service reasonable...... i know that these comments are not very helpful, but overall, i did not really like the place.....

hope-this-helps

R

rafflesian

Hi :,

Thanks for your comments. Just wondering...do you remember in which ballroom was your cousin's wedding held? & oso, how many tables did your cousin put into the ballroom? Was it buffet style or sit-down dinner style? Really appreciate your assistance.

H

hilarion goh

When you have your dinner at Raffles Hotel, you can use the vicinity of the hotel for your wedding photography which is very nice. As to the lights in the ballroom, they can brighten them up for photo taking and dim them down later. I have photographed many couples in that hotel and have found to be one of my favourites. The other of my favourites are, Shangri-la, Alkaff Mansion, Rasa Sentosa, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Shereton Towers and Goodwood Park.

precious

are you going to hold your wedding in raffles hotel?? we have just draft out our package with them yesterday

kpo

i'm going to have mine there in june. will let u know after the event...if it's not too late?

i've been there a couple of times & have seen the ballrm with the wedding deco...it looks quite okay...with seat covers, various flower arrangement themes to choose from (i've seen the roses with candle theme - quite nice)...my only grouses - that the ceiling is low, ballrm looks kinda small & dull.

as for the food...i'm praying that it's gonna be nice...'cos when we had our trial buffet @ the Bar & Billiard Rm...the food was not to our tastes!

let me know if u need any info abt the wedding package.

tina

I've attended a wedding there last yr. The food was not bad although a bit unique. E.g. the sharksfin was bright red instead of the usual brown color and we had strawberry sago instead of the usual honeydew sago for dessert.

The overall ambience is nice & classy. One thing I disliked though - the food was individually served. Had to wait patiently for the waiter to finish serving every one in the table before we could eat. It can be quite unbearable if you're really hungry. Also, your guests can't hv 2nd helpings as the food is divided equally and the waiter removes the dish after he has 'distributed' it to everyone.

Maybe I'm juz used to the 'DIY' type
happy.gif

junebrides

hi KPO and Tina

thanks for your quick response

and KPO, if it is convenient, care to share how much is your package? The hotel quoted us $900+++ per table. The lady said that this price is going to br revised soon. I wonder if it is true.

jaslyn

wow tat's pretty expensive. Why dun u consider hotels like Grand Copthorne, Merchant Court Hotel, instead?

angelia

hi,
I attended a sit down chinese dinner at raffles last year. The food was not very nice, and the portion was very little. And our table, the waitress had not much initiative, she distributed equally, then got some remainder, she brought back to the kitchen. That added to the frustration of our table, becos the portion was really meagre already and somemore deprived us of extra food. 8P

kpo

hey junebrides,

we booked the hotel last yr in dec...we're paying $86.8+++ per pax (we're having buffet)...same price applies for chinese/western dinner. i think if u have less than 15 tables, it'll cost $900+++.

the standard things that are included in the package:
- 30L of beer or 8 bottles of wine
- 1 night stay in suite + breakfast
- chocos/fruitcakes
- wedding cards for 70% of guests + printing
- complimentary car passes for 30% of guests
- $250 voucher (raffles arcade outlets)
- poster
- flowers (i.e. tablepcs, floral stands, stage deco, petals for wedding march)
- free flow of soft drinks & mixes
- special rm rate for guests @ $600+++

[if i remember correctly all the items!]

we negotiated for the following:
- trial buffet lunch @ Bar & Billiard for 6 pax
- seat covers
- use of jubilee lounge (3-11pm)
- meat carving (part of buffet)
- cake @ $48+++/kg
- wine corkage @ $35+++/bottle

the corkage charge @ raffles is very high...if u r thinking of serving wine...i would suggest that u check out other hotels 'cos many are willing to waive corkage charges (i.e. g. copthorne, rasa shangri-la etc.). For us, wine & cake charges will jack up the cost per head by @ least $18.50
sad.gif

so, apart from the per table cost...u must also take note of corkage charges or charges for additional items (i.e. deco, seat covers etc.)!

junebrides

Hi KPO

thanks for the very detailed list ;-) I think the prices have gone up since last year as I had asked for the quotation for 20 tables.My colleague went for a wedding there and according to her, the food was quite special.

I guess the reason why I like Raffles is because of the ambience. Haven't been to the wedding there so no comments about the food. For me, food is not the most important thing as I feel that there would always be good and bad comments about the food irregardles of how fantastic the food is. So long as it is not inedible (!!!) it is fine with me. Ambience is more of a consideration for me when I choose a hotel.

cracker

Hi Junebrides,

If ambience is the thing for you then go for it! Actually I had always wanted to hold my wedding at Raffles Hotel cos I love the place! They used to have this outdoor pavillion where pple can hold intimate little weddings as well. Unfortunately they have since tore it down.

Anyway, as I was going to have both a hi-tea and dinner on the same day, they were not able to do it for me. Apparently, they said they didn't have enough turnaround time to do both events. That really disappointed me, it does seem that they were not very willing to go the extra mile for me/they were understaffed. Hey, but Raffles is still a gorgeous place!

I'm having my wedding at the Beaufort though! As you can see, the hotels I like are quite similar. But rest assured that if ambience is a top priority, Raffles is a great place to go to! And after the dinner, your guests can lounge around the bar & billiard room/longbar which are both great cosy places for cocktails. Think your wedding will be a dream!

kpo

Hi Junebrides & Cracker,

talking abt being understaffed...that's one thing that has been worrying me too...'cos apparently, there's an event before my banquet which will probably end late afternoon...not sure if they've sufficient turnaround time?

actually...raffles has not been very accomodating...they kept insisting on upkeeping their "image"...we were thinking of having a hawaii theme party & would like our guests to come in their casuals (beachwear, sundress, sandles etc)...well, the manageress said "sure! but pls ask ur guests to use the back entrance"!!!!???? even slipon heels are not allowed in the main hotel lobby??? anyway, the staff @ raffles are not used to organising fun & wild parties...the place is more suitable for formal functions.

i find the east india rm much nicer than the ballrm...the east india rm has doors that open out to the garden (with fountain) & u can have both indoor & outdoor...unfortunately, the east india rm can take max 10 tables only
sad.gif

sort of regretted booking raffles...some more..for wat we r paying for the buffet dinner...they don't even have chilled oysters? sighhhh

i went to beaufort oso & i love it! they are more open to ideas...in fact, when we told them abt our theme...they said no prob & my guests can wear anything they want...even bikinis! only problem is the location...sighhh...but i really prefer it to raffles. can even have a poolside BBQ dinner under the stars...unfortunately our parents weren't keen on the idea!

cracker

Hi KPO,

Yup, I know that location is a great concern for many people when it comes to doing a wedding at beaufort. My parents and his parents had reservations abt the place initially but they were alright with it seeing how much we both loved it! Of course we had to assure them that there were many ways of transport into sentosa island. Actually, Singapore being such a small place, people are so used to having things at a convenient reach that even travelling to a little island would instill such great worries.

I can't believe that Raffles would disallow guests wearing casual to enter through the lobby! That's ridiculous! Maybe you should speak to a higher authority than the person you liased with for the banquet. And if the highest authority for the banquet dept doesn't want to give in, write to the management. I don't think they have a right to dictate what your guests should wear! Your hawaiian theme party sounds fun, think you should try and fight for it! After all, it is YOUR wedding...

Wish you all the great fun you've always wanted for your wedding!

kpo

hi cracker,

we didn't bother kicking up a big fuss lah...the person whom we are liasing with is already quite snr in position...anyway, they claimed that even their hotel guests have to abide by the dress code regulation!

we oso have to seek their permission to take photos within the raffles premises...they also impose regulations such as the no. of ppl taking photos, no photo-taking in the lobby/corridor, no snapshot of external front view of main entrance etc...whole list of regulation!

we shld've clarify all these details before signing the contract...we really regretted after finding out abt all their restrictions but it's too late 'cos we've already paid the deposit.

after said all these, i would admit that it's still quite a decent place for formal functions (not fun party like mine!)...& it does carry the "wow" factor...

cracker

KPO,

Oh I see.. there is little time to your wedding (june right??) and maybe this may not be the right time to get your concerns heard anyway. I didn't know they have dress code for their hotel guests. I mean, I've been to Jubilee Hall for concerts and never had any dress code probs. They restrict where you can take photos as well? Didn't know that..

Well, I am sure that you have still have a great wedding there. Its a gorgeous place really and your guests would appreciate the different ambience that it offers. Love the driveway though. Its huge and really feels like you are making a real grand entrance huh? You will be a really happy and beautiful bride!

lydia

Just want to add a comment on the food in Raffles. I had my food tasting not long ago in and I find the food not nice
sad.gif
It was a disappointment...

KPO, I had my wedding photos taken at Raffles Hotel recently. Everything went smoothly
happy.gif
Not that restricted lah, just relax and take your time to take photos
happy.gif

junebrides

Hi KPO: wow, it seems that you are quite unsatisfied with Raffles? Makes me have 2nd thoughts about it now.

Hi Cracker: know what? we are actually considering Beaufort as well.In fact, we have made an appointment with the staff this weekend to have a look at the place. I heard that it is a very romantic place to have your wedding. Is the BBQ buffet their speciality?

cracker

Hi Junebrides!

How was your trip to the Beaufort? I really really love the Grand Salon that overlooks the sea! Its a simple but gorgeous place, I'm sure you feel that way now that you've made a trip there yourself. I am quite sure the bbq should be good, have you ever ate at Siggi's? Cos Siggi's buffet dinner has a selection of bbq food as well. Their food is not too bad in general.
happy.gif

You getting married next year? June I suppose, going by your name. Don't suppose you have a huge guest list cos Beaufort is really quite small.

Hey, keep me updated on your trip there ok? I myself made like 3 trips there..
happy.gif

junebrides

Hi Cracker

The place is gorgeous! i really love the fact that the ballroom overlooks the sea. I think it will be very romantic to have your wedding there. i went to Shangri-la Rasa Sentosa as well. The view there is fantastic too, especially if you have yours outdoor. have you been there b/4?

kpo

hi gals,

hey, junebrides, sounds like u've been enchanted yah?
happy.gif
anyway, i've been thinking...maybe it'll be nice to have a high-tea buffet celebration @ beaufort...this way, ppl won't have to worry abt returning home late (hence higher attendance rate?) & the seaview can be fully enjoyed (can't see the seaview @ night!). i'd have loved to have some tables out @ the veranda...can have both outdoor & indoor!

cracker

Hi Junebrides,

I've been to Rasa before to stay with some friends actually. Its different in that its a beach resort kind of place and has a more casual feel to it. Not been to the ballrm actually, does it have a sea view? Think it would be quite ideal if it was an outdoor event but the thing is, I want my event indoors. Besides, feel that Beaufort is classier and the I love the entire surroundings.. all that koi ponds etc.. but prob with Beaufort is that its a lot more expensive... but anyhow, we love it so much we're taking it!

Hi KPO,

Yes, I love to have tables out on the terrace but that will likely be used for my buffet tables for my hi-tea.. u know, the good thing is that they put up an awning over the terrace recently so that plans are now weather proof!
happy.gif
Yes, the sea view is gorgeous in the day and evening.. but I hope that stars will light up the sky at night for my dinner guests... it will be so romantic...
sigh...

kpo

Hi,

I've been to Rasa oso...same like cracker, i find the "feel" to be more casual, fun & vibrant...can be noisy too with all the kids @ the funpools (esp during sch vacation in june!). good for outdoor wedding by the beach...if u r lucky enough to get the suite with the seaview, it'll be juz fantastic..the view is really wonderful! that's where beaufort loses out...there's not much of rm view @ beaufort!

overall, i still prefer beaufort 'cos of the serenity and simplicity of designs...quite zen-like with all the ponds & greenery!

hey cracker...do they throw in one-night acccomodation in the garden villa or juz deluxe suites?
happy.gif
to hold the solemnisation @ the garden villa will be a dream come true!

cracker

KPO,

They are throwing in a 2 nights' stay at the Delux suites, not the villas... the villas are reallll..... nice!! Yup, it will be great if you only have a small party.. will be a very intimate affair..

Agree that the view for the beaufort suites won't be fantab cos of the lack of height... but overall, still love the place... hey, you getting married at RH rite? The suites there should be quite gorgeous rite??

junebrides

Hi all

thanks for all the feedback and the things that I have to look out for. Now I am at a loss as to which place to choose...sigh

cracker

Junebrides,

No worries cos you still have alot of time right? Even though I'm getting married in nov this year,i had only just finalised my wedding venue sometime last week..
lame.gif

All the best to you!

kpo

hi cracker,

not sure abt raffles suites...haven't seen one! i suspect they're giving us the smallest & cheapest one
sad.gif
the real posh ones are like $2K & above per nite???
lame.gif

kpo

hey junebrides (vic?),

if u want to see how the raffles ballrm looks like with deco...u can check it out this Saturday (in the afternoon) 'cos there's a wedding that night.

cracker

KPO,

Too bad they pulled down the lawn area otherwise it would be quite a nice place for a wedding too.. raffles suite should be class lah, all the celebs like to go..

So your wedding is only how many weeks away? Excited? Btw, which bridal boutique did you sign up with?

kpo

hi cracker,

i din sign up with any bridal boutique...doreen from le galleria is tailoring my 2 outfits - one for ROM, the other for banquet. No studio photography...only actual day photography by monica (ROM, some outdoor, lunch & banquet shots).

hmm...more stressed up than excited!
lame.gif
'cos must clean up the house & move my things in...wedding preparations are almost done.

lydia

Hi KPO,
Have you finalised your table arrangements and decoration of the ballroom with Raffles Hotel already? I am not sure when is the best time to call them to discuss about this. Pls advise. Thank you.

kpo

Hi lydia,

we will be meeting them this saturday to confirm the details i.e. deco, food etc.

if u don't have any special requirements for deco/food etc...u can probably arrange to meet up with them a month in advance?

we met up with the banquet manageress much earlier 'cos we wanted a theme party & needed to find out what they can do for us. anyway, this saturday will be to really finalise the details.

when's ur wedding?

kpo

hey lydia,

u can drop by on saturday to see the done up ballrm? if u haven't already seen it that is...

hee...urs is juz slightly later than mine! will feedback to u abt the goods & bads of my wedding!

junebrides

hi KPO and cracker

I saw the "aftermath" of a wedding at Raffles Hotel. Even thought the place is quite messy (you know how a place will look after a typical chinese wedding ..ha ha) I was still quite impressed with the decorations. i like their centerpiece.

However, I think I will still go down this Sat to look-look. and KPO, what is your theme for the wedding?

cracker

Junebrides,

Raffles is a very classy place and location wise, it beats Beaufort hands down. Hey, excited for you! Actually for many years now, I have always wanted to get married at the Raffles. I have been an ardent fan of that place since I was in JC! Been to a few eateries there, empire, ah teng's, seah street, doc cheng's, bar and billiard... too bad they were not able to do a quick turnaround for me for my hi-tea and dinner... so had to strike them out (with pain)...

So will be terribly happy for you should you fall in love with the place...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

And I love the fact that perhaps you and some close friends can go hang out at the bar and billard rm after the dinner.. its a really cosy place.. will be so fun!

kpo

hey junebrides,

it'll be "tropical"...i've requested for them to put in big green plants, lots of colorful flowers (esp. orchids) for the floral stands, stage deco & tablepcs...also, we'll be using yellow tablecloths, batik tablecloths for the buffet table & batik tablerunners. we want lots of colors 'cos we thot the ballrm looks kinda dull...my dress code is "colorful"!
proud.gif

we'll also work on the buffet menu to make it more "tropical". thot of serving tropical punches & fruit juices but it'll cost a bomb! so had to drop the idea!

we'r going there on saturday too...might juz bump into u!
lame.gif

junebrides

Hi
Anyone have any ideas where "The Lawn" is at Raffles? Is it the same as the East India Room? Coz I heard someone saying that it is a very nice place. Just curious.

kpo

junebrides,

the lawn is an outdoor place with a marquee erected...but i believe it has been taken down. it's not the same as the east india rms or the connecting garden.

did u go take a peek yesterday? i saw a couple there...not sure if it's u???
happy.gif

junebrides

Hi KPO
thanks.
yes, i did go yesterday. But i dun think it was me whom u saw cos we did not see anyone. Anyway, we went quite late. abt 6.30pm. what do u think of the deco yesterday. I think it is quite plain. maybe they should not have used white flowers with white tablecloths. BTW, do u know how many tables can the lawn accomodate?

kpo

hi junebrides,

oh...i was there @ 4pm! anyway, i din like the deco 'cos the color combi looked so plain and boring (mostly whites)! i thot the ballrm is already quite boring looking with all the pastels & murals...the lack of colors for the deco make it even more pale! the candles for the aisle concept looked alright thou!

i think the lawn could accomodate 10 tables. anyway, i don't think the lawn will be available for yr 2001/2002. check out with ur banquet manageress!

junebrides

no problem. i was online chatting with someone else. so dun worry. anyway I am grateful to u for helping me answer my questions

winik

Hi cracker,

Could you tell me what your hi-tea menu is like? My hubby and I went to Beaufort this afternoon, and liked the place a lot. We were thinking of having our tea reception aWe're thinking of asking if we can customise our menu with items from their Int'l Buffet menu. t Siggi's, but the menu is not impressive at all. Did you customise yours?