Raffles Hotel

lin7073

Hi Ladies

A friend of mine will be holding her wedding at Raffles. Recently found out that Raffles Hotel shopping arcade has a new salon, Head-Quarters Salon and the owners were formally top stylists from Reds. Not sure if they have a styling package for 'jie mei'. Anyone has any info? Thanks.

pr1s

hi lilo,

yes, i asked and they actually allow that
happy.gif

pr1s

hi lilo ... no probs

mine is in june ... but still pending for the draft contract leh ... normally how long u take from the first draft until signing the contract?

stefanie

Hi pinky, it took me about 4 weeks to sign the contract. You still have lots of time! Mine is lunch wedding in Dec 07 and I signed in Oct 07.

Just finished my food tasting and it was excellent! Thought I'd share so others can benefit as I have from lyon and minmin's recommendations. I took the following, which is a wedding dinner menu though I'm having a lunch. My dad insisted on having an 8 course to ensure our guests are well fed....

1. Cold Dish: Prawn salad (has mangoes in it!) - good, char siew - good, honey chicken - ok, Conch (top shell) - good (my dad used to run a restaurant and he says conch comes from a can usually, and jellyfish is harder to prepare so is more difficult dish - so we're taking jellyfish instead)

2. wasabi prawn with fried scallop - FANTASTIC! We're all big fans. scallop was very fresh.

3. sharks fin with shredded chicken and dried scallops - i dunno how to appreciate - they always taste the same to me... but our folks like it.

4. black sesame duck - don't be fooled by the name. it may not sound appetizing but it is VERY GOOD! it's a hit with everyone, including non-duck lovers! but if you happen to eat the thigh part, it takes longer to chew.

5. winter melon dish - interesting dish, the taste isn't strong and cleansing to the palate...we were deciding between this and the ever-popular abalone spinach, which requires top up, so we decided to take the winter melon dish instead.

6. Pomfret fish - Nice! They steam it with salted veg which is excellent! No fishy taste at all! Chef Tan says the pomfret is frozen from overseas and the Soon Hock comes from neighbouring sea fish farms so confirm fresher. Hence we're taking the safer Soon Hock instead.

7. fried rice in lotus leaf - nice. not the best i've ever had, but everyone gave thumbs up.

8. Cream of Almond with lily buds and one huge dumpling (black sesame filling) - EXCELLENT! I'm not a big fan of almond desserts but I think it is well done! A sure hit with senior folks. I downed the dumpling happily and gave my almond cream to my mom as 2nd helping.

blessedraven

hi Jazz, am thinking of holding a wedding lunch @ raffles next June too! Do you mind sending me the package that you signed up for and the costs? Do they provide you with any additional function room for solemnization? thanks in advance! =)
my email is [email protected]

castle1

Hi bride,
thank you so much for sharing & enjoy your Honeymoon!!
happy.gif

Hi gals,
will the flower arrangement remain on the tables throughout the dinner? Or once the dinner starts they will remove them & placed the dishes instead?

By the way, is the reception table rather long? As Raffle Hotel is not providing the guest book for guests to sign in, I wander would it look very bare with just an angbao box on the long table.

Any brides do any top up for their flowers?

jeanette

Hi hi, I actually wanted to choose the western dinner instead of the chinese dinner in Raffles. But i dont see any one talking about it. Does anyone have anything to share please? Cos during the wedding show, i love the western setting. But one of my friends said it is not worth it but i really like it. Please help & advise.

lilo_stitch

hi pink,

my contract was sign abt e same time as jazz.

hi jazz,
thanks for the food feedback. i tried udon not nice, so intedn not change to fried rice in lotus leaf w no worries.
hi castle,
I was told flower will be there throughout e dinner. do they provide angbao box? i dont thk will top up flower, dont think it cheap. maybe i will bring in own extra flower to add on.

hi gals,
have u selected wedding favours? their favours seem boring and was told if want chopstick need to top up $3.50
sad.gif

castle1

Hi lilo_stitch,
Yah..they don't provide angbao box. I also intend to bring in my own flowers, but afraid that it will be difficult to make the arrange/selection as it is going to be done by 2 different florists, wander whether the end result will match well or not.
who is coordinator lilo?

By the way, anyone having the montage? When is yours going to be played? before march in or after?

happy.gif

lilo_stitch

hi castle, my coordinator is tom, used to be another gal so much friendly and on the ball but she left b4 my wedding
sad.gif
who is urs? when is ur wedding?
i thk it depend what u adding, i'm thinking to add flower/deco on the back of e chair. did u manage to get 2 flower stand for e stage?
i cant decide if i want to play montage or not ;p

castle1

Hi lilo_stitch
happy.gif

Iam considering that as well, adding some deco on the back of the seat, are you adding to the guests seats as well or just the VIP? Are you having sash for all the seats? my wedding is in Dec,when is urs? coordinator is michelle. As for the 2 flower stand for the stage, mine is going to be the standard one big stand at the centre. Did you exchange that to 2 flower stands instead (as in the same as the ones on the aisle)? Or you had that additional without top up? how many flower stands do you have in total? I think mine is 6.

lilo_stitch

hi castle,
mine also 28/12, 6wk time but many thing still cant decide
happy.gif
flowers most likely VIP only and alternate sash for guest, have u ask her can u have all seats w sash? actually i thk 1 standard big one on e stage very bare, i have yet to speak w them abt it. kind of give up liase w them via email as i'm not in town, so when bomb back a long list when i got back meeting them face to face ;p
do u have messenger msn so that we can chat more ;)as i hardly come to forum.

castle1

Hi lilo,
Their ballroom is very rich in deco & colours. I will only be having sash for the VIP seats, their seats covers though in white covers have some texture on it so it looks quite nice. I think you have to top up for the additional sash for guests seats as all the items on their package are standardise already, they normally wont give extra stuffs.
what about for alcohol consumption? How much beer & how many bottles of red wine are you having?
me dont have msn..sorry
happy.gif

stefanie

Hi blessed raven! The price and package I signed up for is applicable to this year as I am having my wedding this Dec 07. If you sign up, it will be the 2008 package. Feel free to email Raffles and they will send you the 2008 package. (I signed up during their wedding show in Oct for additional perks like wine and beer - try asking them for the next wedding show or if you can have similar perks wen you sign up.) For solemnization, you can do it for free in the ballroom (if you have your banquet there) or other function rooms which you are holding your banquet in (charges apply). They have a solemnization package that costs about 2k in the lawn. If you decide to hold it in another room, it should cost you extra (1k to 2k?). Other commonly used rooms are Casuarina suite, East India Room (has a nice fountain outside the EIR), the lawn, etc. Hope this helps!

Hi lilo, 2008 package includes ang bao box - i think can try asking if they have availability for your wedding?

As for wedding favours, I personally like the tiny round pillboxes/jewelry boxes or the honey jar. My in laws wanted the keychains and wine stopper... Will decide closer to the date...I think their favours are pretty varied and quite nice leh...Can personalise on a tiny card (attached to the favour) with your names also...

Hi Castle and lilo, i intend to play a slideshow with our pics, maybe halfway thru the meal...I'd like them to start eating asap so can end asap....Play while they eat...

OMG! Lilo, yours is just one week after mine!!! I have PMed you my MSN contact! Let's chat!
happy.gif

lilo_stitch

hi castle,
why they so stingy of give sash
sad.gif
how they quote much to have extra sash?
i thk will keep all wine but no beer, it quite commom now days

hi jazz,
i didnt know we can personalise e favour, i was not told. thanks for e infor. do u know how many days we need to inform them wat we want n how to personalise it? have u seen the angbao box? do u have any pic of their floral arrangement? e one i got rather old pic
sad.gif
boring, my previous coordinator had send me nicer one but she left raffles n remove e pic from e photo link
sad.gif

i had add u to my msn see u soon

vanadis82

Hello,
Can I ask those who have had experience at wedding dinners held at Raffles hotel, normally what time can we expect the first march-in? I am arranging for my band to come in for the first dish, but can't confirm what time....

stefanie

Hi Lilo, I was told about 3 weeks before the wedding for favours? I have never seen the ang bao box. yup, i posted the flowers arrangement pic in the thread above (but pics are tiny, sorry).

rosewhite

Hi lilo,
I am not sure how much are they charging for extra sash. But indeed, they charge additional cost for everthing you want to add on, even little things like bringing in our stuffs to decorate the venue & ask their staffs to help us to place, they will charge to.
uhoh.gif

What colours for the flower arrangement do you brides intend to have for the venue?
happy.gif

castle1

Hi lilo & Jazz, me didnt ask for the additional sash, my previous coordinator told me to ask my jiemei to tie if we need as the florists will charge quite ex..I think like rosewhite mentioned, they charge for servicing. But I think it looks fine without the sash. For montage, what Jazz suggested is a good idea, play halfway thru at the dinner. Mine is going to be quite short. As for their stage, anyone knows if we are going to have a small band or something, can they perform on stage? The stage looks small though.

sleepy78

Hi all

I have a booked wedding banquet at Raffles for 10-12 tables to let go for March 9 2008. Each table $1068++, deposit of $3800 already paid.

Anyone interested please email me ASAP at [email protected]

Also you can contact Tom Toh at raffles at [email protected] to get more details on that booking, just mention Stephanie and that date and that I am trying to get someone to take over that date, he will know what you're referring to. He is really helpful.

vanadis82

Hello all!!
I just came back from my wedding at Raffles hotel on Sunday!!
It was soooo wonderful!
I must really say that everything was perfect. And the coordinator and banquet ops that day was so good. I have nothing but praise for Raffles.
happy.gif

The suite was really superb, and really romantic. We don't regret choosing Raffles at all!

vanadis82

Hi All!! I'm still waiting for my pics, will update you all when i get them.
I had mine in the ballroom only.
One thing to note is that although the food quality is good, some pple commented that it wasnt very filling. Even my sister said that the portions are quite little compared to food tasting.

blue_monkey

Hi ladies - Min, congrats on your nuptials! wow, its so good to hear that your day went well and that Raffles was fantastic. We'll be having ours in April'08 - Lawn for Ceremony and Grand Ballroom for dinner.

Some questions for Raffles Brides who's had their weddings....
1. Did you have a dancefloor?
2. Was it very crowded with 24 tables + dancefloor?
3. Cake - did anyone order the cake from Raffles? Was it good?
4. Flowers - Linus had quoted me $250 top up for the tall candlebras...needless to say, i almost fainted. Has anyone had the same taller flowers @ a lower price?

Please advise. Thanks!

pr1s

hi, what do u all think about having gold champagne colour for evening gown at raffles ballroom? would it stand out or it will actually blend with the room colour?

stefanie

Hi babes! Merry Xmas!

My wedding is over! Everything went well! Super fantastic!I enjoyed it very much though it went by like a blur. Thought i should share my experience a lil...

We felt really lucky and blessed - expected it to rain since it is rainy season and it didn't! Weather was bright and sunny for our solemnization in the lawn, with my dad walking me down the red carpet. Our backup venue was Casuarina Suite.

Had our tea ceremony in the Jubilee lounge (they can only confirm if we can borrow the lounge for use 2 weeks before the event) and the room was really nice with pictures of many celebrities and royalties who ever visited Raffles Hotel. Quite nice!

Lunch was good - service was excellent and the banquet manager was very attentive and all the staff had great service. We received praises for the food (the 8 course chinese menu which is normally served for dinner) and the 4-piece band (A little Dream) who sang mostly evergreen jazz and chinese teresa teng numbers. We totally do not regret hiring a band! They sang very well! We had 2 singers Bev and HsinYeow. Hsin Yeow was our MC too. Bev can sing French songs which is really cool - my MIL appreciated the French songs "Cest si bon" and "La Vie En Rose" since she is a French teacher.

Michelle was our hotel coordinator and she did an excellent job! Everything went really smoothly and she took care of our every details and needs. She even lent us an ang bao which wasn't in our package. And the ang bao box is very pretty - offwhite with ribbons and pearls. Matches our theme of cream roses and white orchids with some bits of green. We didn't get any extra flowers than those provided by the package and I thought it was pretty sufficient already.

We had a total of 24 tables (including 1 reserve table which was unused in the end) and we thought it was a bit squeezy, especially during photo-taking session. Try not to wear a huge gown with big can can under if you are taking 24 tables and want to do photo-taking per table - you may have trouble squeezing through the tables....Best to wear simple sleek evening gown for photo-taking...

We had a long aisle and during our 1st march in (we used an old jazz number called "in the mood" by glenn miller) everyone who sat near the aisle had poppers and sprays who popped and sprayed at us - it was really fun! Some children also ran up to pop!
happy.gif

We had no dance floor but the band sabo us to dance on stage...so paiseh...blue-monkey, i think 24 tables + dancefloor would be ok if there's no stage...

we didn't order cake - sorry can't comment. they gave us a complimentary 500gm wedding cake but we have yet to eat it...

Not sure about the flower decor as I let Michelle handle it (I never met the florist, only told her what colors i wanted) and i must say the standard stuff was quite nice...

Hi pinky, the ballrooom is quite gold so I think bits of gold in your dress (like a sash or something) would be nice...

hope this helps!
happy.gif

vainpotash

i thnk i must be really unlucky, the fact that most of you had a memorable wedding at Raffles, whereas mine, on the other was quite a disaster.

blue_monkey

JAZZ : good to hear about your day. i'm getting more nervous as our big day draws nearer. A question - for the backup venue of Casuarina Suite, did you have to pay for that? Our wedding coordinator said that if we wanted that, we'll have to put down venue rental for the backup venue. Please advise.

MEME: sorry to hear that u had a bad experience at raffles. was it just recently? and what happened?

blue_monkey

FOOD TASTING QUESTION :

Do you pre-select the dishes for the food tasting session or do u get to taste everything that's on the menu on the day of the food tasting?

Thanks!

stefanie

Hi Meme, sorry to hear about your plight - would love to hear your story!

Hi blue monkey, i understand your feelings! i woke up at 4am on my AD and i couldn't get back to sleep after that! Actually, we rented the lawn and becuase it is outdoor, the back up venue, in case it rains, is Casuarina Suite. We paid 1500++ for the lawn and we didn't get charged extra for the backup venue - basically the backup venue is a venue which will not be rented (paid for with money) by anyone else (ie. not rented by another paying customer). What is your first choice venue? If your first choice is an indoor venue, then they might ask you to pay for the Casuarina Suite which is also an indoor venue because maybe someone else wants to rent the Casuarina Suite at the same time? Try to ask them to provide you with a similar capacity room that no one else is using lor...that should be free bah...

As for the dishes - You'll need to tell your coordinator what are the dishes you intend to serve the guests on the AD. They will then prepare those dishes for you to try. If you don't like any of the dish and wish to change and try that new dish, you'll have to go back to the restaurant another day to try, and pay for that new dish that you're trying. That's the standard operating procedure. However I believe it is negotiable lah. If you want to try one extra dish maybe you can ask your coordinator if they can cut down on the servings - say you have 6 free servings for dish A, you can ask them to serve 3 servings of dish A and have 3 servings of dish B instead. I think they try to accomodate but if you try this for like every course, then i think they won't agree lah...

hope this helps!

vainpotash

sigh...

dun tink im allowed to post here... for full footage of my tragedy, maybe you girls can post ur email here...

until today, im still very pissed.

mary_poppins

Hi all,

Happy 2008!!! I am considering to hold lunch banquet at Raffles Hotel. Date not decided yet but most prob in Nov 08 to Jan 09. Around 35 tables. Not too sure if they have a ballroom or function room that number of tables. Does anyone has the package and menu to share?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks a million!

pr1s

mary poppins, raffles has only max capacity of 25 tables

for those raffles brides in 2008, please share ur experience and comments for food selection, thank you
happy.gif

mary_poppins

Thanks Pinky for sharing the information with me.

Actually I wanted hotels with the colonial tinge like Goodwood Park Hotel and Raffles Hotel. Since Goodwood Park Hotel recieves fair bit of negative comments, I have eliminated it. Now that Raffles Hotel cannot accomodate the capacity, think I have to re-consider other choices.

pr1s

hi raffles brides ...

when normally u can start to choose the wedding favors, flowers, table cloth, etc? and what are the standard options and enhancement they offer?

cactus_79

True true! We liked the old feel of Fullerton, but the steps are difficult to handle. in the end, used Fullerton's Straits Room for a smaller private function before our wedding.

emilyteo

Hi All, I'm the new kid on the block. Yes. I will be having my wedding at Raffles Hotel, the ballroom on the 15 May 2008.

Jazz> Thanks for ur full details of ur Raffles Hotel experience. It sound wonderful. I am residing overseas currently and have never viewed the ballroom. My parent viewed on my behalf and I decided to go for it after picture of the venture was send to me. You mentioned abt having the Jubilee Lounge for tea ceremony. Did you pay for it or was that provided as a compilmentary? BTW, my parent told me that the reception area is non-air conditioned... how did it go? in addition, the invitation card din really look nice on the JPG file... did u use Raffles invitation card?

Meme>> sorry to hear of ur bad experience with RH. Care to share ur story so I know what to look out for as well? my email is: [email protected]

Hope to hear from Jazz and Meme soon.

Cheer,
ET