Raffles Hotel

lyons

<font color="119911">hi hweyhwey, thanks! Actually, I'm more afraid that I anyhow choose printer then in the end they anyhow print then spoil the card... That's why want to get a separate printer for the hotel card and my DIY card. Although it would be cheaper to do both with the same printer.

How's pregnancy, hweyhwey? When are you due? Must be so excited
happy.gif
</font>

cactus_79

Hi bride, it's important to check and recheck the drafts when you are printing your inserts. My mom's friend's son had his inserts printed at a recommended printer on this forum. Spelling of Occassion was wrong. Cheap doesn't mean lousy printing. expensive/recommended may not be good.

icylily

hi ladies, my wedding will be in April 2008.
Raffles Hotel is one of my short-listed hotels besides Hyatt and Regent hotel.

I like Raffles hotel, ballrooms look classy and grand. very opulent feeling.

Will be having 20-25 tables.

lysha

Hi Gals,

Can someone share with me the qualify of the Chinese food in RH? I have been to a wedding in 2004, and the food(Chinese) quality was so disappointing (I don't have fussy taste bud, the hawker food kind of gal), but the dinner I attended in RH 3 years ago was the worst I have attended so far, so I would like to find out if they have improve or not in recent years

Also, how's the food portion? issit ok? the one I had was very miserable..still remember one dish that the waiter serve me, 1 mushroom ( cut into 1/2) and 1 asparagus ( cut into 2 )

hweyhwey

Hi bride,
ya cactus is right, u have to check and recheck the draft... they will email u the draft, then u have to check every words urself and call them if there is anything wrong, and then they will email u again, and u better check again...

ya... about 2 more weeks to my due date.... very excited now... can't wait already... haha..

hi chris, ya u must be fast, my wedding was dec 06 and i booked at april 05... very kiasu...

Lysha, i think the food was quite nice, and some of my friends can't forget some of the dishes, eg the wasabe prawn... was very nice, and the wedding cake also very very nice... normally we went for wedding and after that people will only criticize the food, no one will remember the food unless it's really very very good.... so i thought the food there considered quite nice liao cos till now my friends still thinking of the prawn.... if u are worry, u can go to the restaurant and try... is near the Jubilee hall... huang chao something...

lilo_stitch

hi bride, agreed w u their card compare w many hotel are smaller. can u share w me ur ps photo too? [email protected] thanks

lysha, i'm very fussy over food, had my food tastin already so far they are great, other than the shark fin is abit salty.

lysha

Hi HweyHwey &amp; Lilo stich

Thanks for your feedback. I attended my fren's wedding dinner in 2004, so I guess their food must have improved. will go down and take a look at the place soon

vanadis82

Hello all,
I just went for our food tasting yesterday. On the whole it was ok, but not fantastic.
I actually think that the quality of the food was comparable to quite a number of other hotels I have been to.
In fact, some reputable chinese restaurants produce more delectable food, and put in more effort in creativity of the dish and presentation.
I think for raffles hotel we are mostly paying for everything else thats included in the package (bridal suite, wine, comlimentary beer etc) as well as for the "brand name".
So if you are going for food, I think there are other places that can do better.
happy.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">hi minmin, oh no... that sucks... i was hoping ROYAL CHINA can do better... sigh...

which menu did you taste?</font>

vanadis82

Hi bride,
I took the classic menu, but changed out the appetiser for suckling pig. But I must say the suckling pig was not too bad. I liked the prawns, the rice in lotus leaf and the fish. The rest of the dishes were average.
happy.gif
I mean the food is not bad, but its not the kind where people might go Wow, its fantastic like that.

lyons

<font color="119911">thanks minmin!

How much more did you top up for suckling pig? Because we're not having sharksfin so might want to have something of "bigger" value for the appetizer...

- I was thinking of getting the scallops instead of the prawns though...
- I also like the lotus leaf rice!!
happy.gif
scared too heavy for the last dish though...
- which fish did you get? sea bass or soon hock? Which one of higher value ah?
happy.gif

- which meat did you get? The duck or the chicken? was it nice?
- spinach or broccoli?
- which dessert?

Sorry ah... so many questions... trying to choose for our food tasting. Sigh... disappointed about the reviews of raffles' food...</font>

vanadis82

Hi Bride,
suckling pig is about $200+++ more.
We had a difficult time choosing the fish initially. My in-laws are particular with food so we left it up to them. Soon Hock is theoretically more expensive and presentable, but my in-laws were saying smth about the local ones we get here being farmed fish and smth like that therefore the quality not as good (if i dun remember wrongly). Sea bass is cheap. Whereas pomfret has always been fished from the sea, so in terms of value it is better. I must say they made it quite nicely and presentable, and it was huge! not the flat small ones we see at the market.
happy.gif

We got the garlic chicken, it was ok. I heard that royal china is good for their duck, so you might want to go for that.
And I personally prefer spinach and we took that as well.
Desert we got the white fungus and red date cos my in-laws say its more symbolic. But of course I would have preferred the chilled mango sago myself. But once in a lifetime event, so we will just go with the symbolism.
Haha, its ok for the questions, i'm more than happy to exchange and share info on our wedding preps!

lyons

<font color="119911">hi minmin, $200+++ per table more??! Alamak... looks like that's out of my budget liao. $200+++ multiply by 24 tables... *faint*

can we choose pomfret? It wasn't on the list... need to pay extra for that?

ok, we will try the duck.

white fungus and red date also not on the list. how did you come up with all these alternatives?
happy.gif
</font>

vanadis82

huh? bride, are you having the 2007 menu? how come you dun have all these? Mine has leh. If you wan I share with you a copy of the menu they gave me. or you can check with your coord again?

lyons

<font color="119911">hi minmin, thanks! I replied you liao. Funny leh... how come different one ah? Sigh... should I ask the coordinator to give me a whole list of dishes to choose from? Maybe more than 3
happy.gif
</font>

bugsfire

what a pity, Raffles Hotel dont have the date I want for my wedding dinner. At the end, I am settling to do my ROM ceremony at the lawn.

Anyway, can anyone advise hows the guests turnout for the lawn if i do it about 930am?

natsy

Hello all!
Just wanted to ask what made you choose Raffles Hotel? I thought I had made the decision to hold the banquet at Raffles (with affirmation from my fiance) only to worry when I heard about how the bridal suite is not very nice looking, and its far away from the ballroom and that the cocktail reception is non-aircondition and people are requesting that I place some fans that day.

The reason for choosing Raffles would also be because of its heritage and character the building has. Though fiance tells me that its my choice but I know he prefers Raffles. Does not help that its pricey too aye?

Maybe cause I just found out that the July &amp; Sept dates are taken...which is making me panick - having to rush wedding preps if I am to hold it any earlier.

I hope all of you can share with me any advice and allay my fears by sharing with me the reasons you were convinced to hold your banquet at Raffles. I very much want to, but somehow am not as convinced as I was during the weekend when I went to view the ballroom.

Oh yes, could any of you email me your AD photos too? My email is: [email protected]

Thankies!

lyons

<font color="119911">hi kim, maybe I can give you my opinions and thoughts.

Cons:
-Raffles' Ballroom is not the nicest around (but they had my colour theme for table cloths and their florist VERY professional and experienced. I think they're capable of producing a very posh and elegant environment)
-the reception area is not air-conditioned (but then your guests will "migrate" to the ballroom quicker, and that's an advantage because they will be seated fast! :p)

Pros:
-for us, Raffles was the choice because we wanted a small wedding (ballroom max 24-25 tables) and we placed a lot of emphasis on professionalism and service. So far, Raffles has shown us that.
-on the contrary, we LOVED the suite! It has its own charms. It's precisely because it's different from other hotels' suites that we like it. Agree, it's a bit far from the ballroom BUT! that gives exclusivity, doesn't it? I like it that the hotels' guest suites are all located far away from common areas like the restaurants and ballroom because it's quieter.
-When I told everyone my wedding will be held at Raffles Hotel, EVERYONE was very impressed and they have high expectations because Raffles is considered to be one of the best hotels in Singapore. That's the perception people have anyway.
-POSSIBILITY of more ang pao :p

And I agree with you. Choosing Raffles has to be because of its heritage and character. No other hotel in Singapore can exude the same kind of feeling. Old and new come together. Know what I mean?

Price wise, it is expensive but if you do the calculations properly:
Raffles Hotel: price per table x 24
Other 5* hotels: price per table x min no. of table (usually 30)

Raffles works out to be cheaper in the end
happy.gif
</font>

natsy

Hi Bride,
Thanks for your advice. It sort of put me back on a happy mood! I was contemplating speaking to my fiance about changing to 4 seasons this evening until I read your reply...
I've not seen the suite yet so I won't know. Heard from my friends that the suite is magical and has its own charm, like the hotel. But read some comments from the forum and it stated otherwise. Perhaps I should take a view of the suite for myself
happy.gif

When I told people I was considering Raffles, everyone went WOW, until I said its between Raffles &amp; Four Seasons. Then again it makes sense that since the dinner is in the evening, it shouldn't be too hot to walk from the suite to the ballroom and you're so right in saying that guests will ajourn to the ballroom quicker.

Really? The florist is very professional? Cuz from what I heard Raffles can't do this,can't do that..only can take their standard flower arrangement. Hence was rather disappointed.

Thanks much for you advice, it's really helpful!

lyons

<font color="119911">hi Kim, Four Seasons is also a nice hotel and we were also considering it! It was a choice between raffles and four seasons as well
happy.gif
Four Seasons also has a smaller seating capacity.

You have to see the suite for yourself before deciding because different people have different preferences. Some may like raffles' suite, some may not. So yes, please take a look first
happy.gif

haha the thing about guests going to the ballroom quicker is just something I THINK will happen
happy.gif

I spoke to Linus from Sir Charles Florist and he was quite professional, giving me options to replace the standard flower pieces. Of course, if I want more and nicer centrepieces, things that are out of the ordinary, then naturally, I would be expected to top up. I think it's the same for all hotels.

happy.gif
No problem, glad I was of help.

Remember, you have to make the decisions on your own. If you like Raffles, go for Raffles. If you like Four Seasons, go for that. Every hotel has its pros and cons so you just need to weigh what's impt to you
happy.gif
</font>

jeanette

Hi Hi,
I am going to confirmed the wedding dinner with Raffles soon as well. Does anyone deal with Michelle before? How is she?
Still contemplating for the soleminsation.... very expensive for the lawn....

pinkopiyo

Hi Jeanette

I also considering raffles for the solemisation at first. But really very x considering that there won't be food for yr guests. 5 canapes wld be too little for the guests.

jeanette

Hi pinkopiyo,
Yeah....most probably, would be dropping the lawn....really too expensive and i understand that the $1500 is purely rental....no deco for the stage...
So how do you plan to do the solemisation pinkopiyo?

dryice50

Hi ladies, I am also having my wedding dinner at Raffles Hotel. I would like to check with you ladies whether have you all signed up with a bridal stuido? Any good recommendations?

lyons

<font color="119911">hi everyone!

I just had my food tasting on sat and the food was quite ok. Not too bad but nothing fantastic. What impressed me was Pauline's service. We told her we don't want to serve shark's fin and not very fond of fish maw either. But we'd rather take fish maw if nothing else is available. And she surprised us with a 3rd soup choice (some six treasure soup thing) on that night! Was nice of her but too bad my parents didn't like it
happy.gif

Anyway, here's my sypnosis of the menu we took:
1. Appetizer: We loved the vietnamese spring rolls! Conch was good, roasted pork (thick char siew slices) was good, soy sauce chicken was fantastic! Octopus was ordinary though

2. Six Treasure Soup: our parents didn't like it so we're changing to the fish maw. Anyone took the fish maw? Can comment on whether or not it's nice? Cos we couldn't taste it...

3. Wasabi Prawns: Very nice! Wasabi mayo sauce blended nicely with the prawns which were big and succulent. Although I thought they could do better with the fried scallop. It was fresh but it looked like those type you can take from the packet and deep fry type... But it did taste fresh so I'm quite sure it's not the packet type

4. Fish: We took the pomfret, very fresh! The normal teochew style of steaming with ginger slices. I just hope the fish will be fresh on the day itself for 24 tables!

5. Meat: We took the duck over the chicken as minmin suggested and MAN! it was good! Minmin, you should change to the duck! It was roasted duck with sesame seeds in black pepper sauce. We loved it! But tell them to chop the pieces into smaller ones if not hard to chew.

6. Veg: Bai Ling mushrooms with spinach. BORING... so we're changing to the winter melon dish. The chef told us that the winter melon will be cut into a diamond-shaped bowl and filled with assorted mushrooms and drizzled with carrot sauce. Sounds interesting so we're taking that.

7. Rice: We took the lotus leaf rice and we LOVED IT! It was very nice! Albeit a little filling after the whole meal but it was too good to pass up. Again, thanks for the recommendation minmin!

8. Dessert: We took the red bean soup with sesame glutinous rice ball and I loved loved loved it! I'm a big dessert fan so I'm critical when it comes to desserts. The rice ball could have been softer but the red bean soup was not too thick or thin, just nice. Only quip I have is that there was only one ball
sad.gif
But actually, my family could hardly stuff that last ball into their stomachs!
happy.gif

All in all, I think the appetizer, prawn, duck, rice and dessert were good. Veg, fish, soup can be improved on.</font>

vanadis82

Hi bride,
Wah! Glad your food tasting was over and that everything went well. You got more praises for the menu than complaints! :p
I think a lot of people who read your description will definitely have more faith in Raffles hotel banquet dishes now!
I just hope the service and food quality on the actual day for 20-odd table will be as good as what we have for the tasting, then it'll be perfect.

lyons

<font color="119911">hi minmin, haha is that how it looked? But maybe it's cos I don't have extremely high standards in terms of food tasting :p My parents said the food was above average but not fantastic. I guess we can't have everything
happy.gif

Ya, my parents also said food tasting always good one, but the night itself may not necessarily be good. Haiz... what to do...

BTW, we'll be going down next week to sample the fish maw and carrot sauce veg dish. Have to pay though
sad.gif
</font>

castle1

Hi all
happy.gif

I am a Raffles bride too.
May I know usually how many months before our wedding will we be meeting the co-ordinator?
What are things to discuss during the first meeting?

By the way, do we get to choose the invitation cards by then or normally they will email us the images of the cards &amp; we choose from there?

Thank you
happy.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">hi castle, I'm meeting my coordinator only 3 weeks before my wedding. Just to firm up details. Any other things like getting the invitation cards, you can email him/her. For me, I told her how many cards I need and I collected from the concierge directly. More convenient for me. There's no first meeting per se because you would have firmed up your negotiated details (like no. of carpark coupons, cards, deco etc).

For me, pauline emailed me pictures of the 2 choices of invitation cards and I just picked one. She then arranged for collection. That's all.</font>

castle1

Hi bride,
Thank you for sharing. I see..thats pretty convenient.
Will you be using the printing company they have recommeded?

By the way, how about the theme of the ballroom? Do we discuss the details of the set up &amp; floral arrangement with the co-ordinator or we will liase with the florist? All these to be discussed about 3 weeks before the wedding too? We didnt discuss anything regarding about the deco at all when we signed up with them.

thanks.
happy.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">hi castle, nope, I didn't use the printing company they recommended. I used Acepro Link. Their rates are reasonable. I paid $80 for 170 cards. Normal matt gold printing. They also did my church cards that's why maybe it's slightly cheaper.

We will be meeting up with the florist this fri to discuss about the floral setup. Again, yes, it's to be discussed about 1 month before the wedding. Any special requests on your side can always be agreed upon then and you can top up accordingly. Deco-wise, the coordinator will usually refer you to ask the florist anyway.

Hope this helps.</font>

castle1

Hi bride,
thanks.. Acepro Link's pricing sounds more reasonable as compared to T dragon. May I know where is it located? Did you use inserts or print on the card directly?
happy.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">Hi castle, you can contact Veronica @ 68484638. They're located on the 2nd floor of Windsor hotel.

I printed on the cards directly. It's cheaper. Besides Raffles' cards don't need to have inserts.</font>

lyons

<font color="119911">hi castle, no problem. Do post your questions here if you have more. I'll try to help if I can.

BTW, for those brides considering the fish maw as an alternative to sharks' fin, the fish maw is good! It tastes expensive
happy.gif
Better than the 6 treasure soup we tasted. And the winter melon, mushrooms in carrot sauce dish is really nice too! Much better than the bailing mushrooms dish cos the bailing mushroom dish we felt is a bit common. The carrot dish is unique and light on the palate so we chose that one as well.

Just an update on our tasting
happy.gif
</font>

wenwen2112

Hi bride (lyons),

Can see from ur comments that you r v detailed in all your descriptions. Can share with me on the price list for 2008 ? Please send it to [email protected]. I dun seems to be able to find it in their website. Thanks.

castle1

Hi bride,
Thank you, very nice &amp; helpful of you.
happy.gif

Currently trying to estimate the alcohol consumption, what is the amount for the different types of wines/beer you all are selecting? Do the guests now normally drink beer, red wine or champagne? Just wish to know what are the more popular choices now.

By the way, does each table has a specific waiter to serve? Are the dishes distributed individually to every guests?

natsy

*Dang* *Dang* *Dang* *Dang*
Hello bride (lyons), sorry for the very delayed reply...anyway, yipee! Confirmed our venue during the Bridal Show last Sunday.
happy.gif

Saw the room, and hai...I thought it was the one they post on their website! Mm..heard that must top-up instead. But oh well, apart from that, at least something is confirmed for now.

Now on the hunt for bridal gowns.
happy.gif

groom_bride

hi kim,
can u share ur experiences with them? any extra peaks they give during e show? i miss it
sad.gif
what room are u talking abt? is it e ballroom?

natsy

Hi bella,
So far, the experience has been good. Extra perks given during the show was 24 bottles of liquor/wine corkage waiver and additional barrel of beer. You can choose 2 out of the 4 options. Think the other 2 options was additional 12 bottles of wine and the last one is canapes served to your guests during cocktail reception.
happy.gif

As for the room, am referring to the bridal suite.

Hope I'm of some help!

vainpotash

hi all,

i've a weird qns here. how is the sound system @ RH?

me will be having food tasting soon, thanks for all the useful comments!

vanadis82

Hello All,
Yep I also have questions on the sound system. Do we play it from their audio player? Or we have to play it through our own laptop?
Cos I asked Elizabeth then she said that we have to provide our own laptop for the montage.
Anybody has experience in this??

lilo_stitch

hi minmin, serious? i haven ask, today if i got time to email them will ask abt it. what type of printing did u do for ur invites? hot-stamp or normal?

vanadis82

hello lilo,

when u ask about the sound stuff let me know also k? cos i am compiling my songs now, if play fr laptop then i'll convert all to mp3, if not then i play from cd. so a bit stuck lor.

I did normal printing. Actually though its cheaper i think it looks more classy leh. the hot stamping looks very outdated. a bit too shiny i find. I am doing at T-dragon. How about you?