Raffles Hotel

cactus_79

You;re most welcome, LadyBettle! Just to share with you, if you plan to hold your wedding on a very auspicious date, it's best to confirm everything very much in advance cos the nicest gowns and the best photographers/MUAs may already be booked on your special day.

lyons

<font color="119911">wow cactus, I didn't know that you cannot do tea ceremony before the ROM. Actually, how would they find out ah? I thought tea ceremony is for tradition so how come the govt cares?
happy.gif

Yup ladybettle, cactus is right. If your date's a hot date, better book early. Most impt things to book first are: banquet (choice of hotel/restaurant), photographers &amp; videographers (esp the good ones), makeup artist that is provided by the bridal studio cos some are very popular.

As for which bridal studio you want, I've done some research. So first you have to ask yourself which type of gown you like. Cutting-wise, not so impt cos no matter which designer you go to, you can get that cutting (e.g. mermaid cut, A-line, ballgown etc). Some options you might want to consider are (and the corresponding designers who are famous for that type of gown):
1. embroidery (ted wu)
2. sexy, low back designs (silverlining-jit)
3. simple and clean cut (bridal veil-michele huimin)
4. flamboyant (frederick lee and tan yoong)
5. colours on your gown, something a little more unique (amanda lee does this tastefully)

I'm sure there are other studios who are good at these but I think (and also comments made by people in this forum) these are the best in the area
happy.gif

The other thing you need to consider is your budget. How much are you willing to spend on the packages?

The above studios are branded designer studios and they charge about $4000 (on average) just for 1 wedding gown (made-to-measure, must return), 1 evening gown (made-to-measure, to keep), flower bouquet, corsages, car deco. If you want photography with them, they tie up with good photography studios and the cost will add about $2000 above the gown package. So you have to be willing to fork out about $4000-6000 for the package.

If you prefer the all-in-one bridal studios, I think some packages are going for about $2888-3999 depending on what you can negotiate for. This price includes photography.

Sorry for the long post. Hope I helped a little. If you have any other queries, I will try my best to answer
happy.gif
</font>

cactus_79

Hi bride, it's stated somewhere on ROM website that cultural/traidtional marraige cannot take place before legal marriage.. it is actually an offence. It's been legislated.

Govt cares about these things cos it doesn't want illegimate children/second wives....

sweetpea_lee

Hi Girls, I have also signed up with Raffles Hotel! V happy!
Wow Bride!!! your update on the choice of different bridal studio for wedding gown is great! wondered if you also have any tips for evening gowns? i am looking to mtm an evening gown as i do not like the ones at my bridal studio.
Does anyone also have any recommendations for MTM Cheong Sum? I saw a Tan Yoong ad for their CS recently and really liked it.... But its probably going to cost a fortune as it looks like there is a lot of french lace used!

hweyhwey

hi Sweet pea,
congratulation!! can see that u really happy... and which bridal studio u choose??
I think u can try Dang bridal.... last time i went there with my friends.... and saw some cheong sum there.....

lyons

<font color="119911">hi sweetpea! maybe you can try tan yoong or ted wu? If you like embroidery on your cheongsum, ted's the choice. If you like lace, then tan yoong but both are a bit ex. maybe you can take that ad and go to a chinatown tailor? I don't know of any but I'm sure there are good ones there. It'll be cheaper too</font>

sweetpea_lee

Hi Hwey Hwey, how are you!! I fell in love with an off the rack wedding gown at Dsire and decided to buy it.
However, there is not much selection of anything other then WG at Dsire unfortunately, hence the hunt for EG and CS!
Hi Bride, thanks for your suggestion, will go check out Ted Wu / chinatown tailors as alternatives.

Has anyone selected makeup artists/ actual day photographers /musicians yet?

lyons

<font color="119911">hi sweetpea, yup, my makeup artist is kenneth lee, actual day photographer is triston from tri-angles and A little dream for my jazz band.

If you're looking for photographers, I highly suggest tri-angles. Look for hilarion goh (www.tri-angles.com). They're really good!</font>

ladybettle

Hi bride (lyons),

Thanks for the info on the designers and the bridal studios.

I went to the Style Wedding Show last weekend at Swissotel Stamford. Ted Wu, Frederick Lee, Divine Couture and others were at the show too. There was a fashion show displaying their gowns. Personally, I didn't really like Ted Wu's nor Frederick Lee's gowns... or at least those that were displayed. Not quite the style I'm looking for. However, I was quite inclined towards Divine Couture. Any feedback on them? :)

lyons

<font color="119911">hi LadyBettle, each designer has their specific style so don't worry if you don't like Ted or Frederick Lee. Divine Couture's known for their princessy, low-back gowns. Feedback about Kim, the designer has been good so far. I met her before and she's nice.</font>

witch

Anyone going for the Raffles Bridal Show this Sunday? Will they send us an invite? Cos I signed up but received no acknowledgement at all. Do I just turn up at the venue and register?

vanadis82

Hello everyone,
Haven't been back to the forum for some time, see so many new people.
happy.gif
I din go for the show either, my co-ord mentioned previously that she will let me know when the show is, but guess they forgot! Anyway, no time to go anywhere these 2 weeks. My ROM coming up next saturday already, so excited! Went to try on my mtm cheongsam for the ROM, but it was so short!! now too late to make new one or alter already. Think a cheongsam that is mid-thigh length is appropriate? Its a bit A-line, not like the traditional kind that hugs the body.

ladybettle

Hi all,

I went for the show at RH yesterday. Nothing much actually... got fashion show feat. Emanuel B. Couture. RH also done up their suites with different themes, and the lawn as well.

tingshen

One of the staffs we know got transferred to do banquet sales haha...meeting him this Saturday to see how. Our case a bit different, it's going to be a Sun/Sat lunch buffet.....

serapheve

Hi hi Minmin and other fellow RH brides!

Just got back home from overseas after quite a long time away. Glad to see many new and old faces around! Welcome to the new faces!
happy.gif

Hi! How have you been Minmin? Your ROM is tomorrow?? Congrats! I'm sure it'll go just perfect! You must be so excited! I'm not a person who usually wears skirts but I think mid thigh is ok for ROM. It's not in a church right?

Hi Hweyhwey!

How's baby coming along? Hope the first trimester hasnt been too tiring or tough! Take good care of yourself dearie!
happy.gif

Wow, less than 2 months before my wedding...time to seriously get down to preparing for it!!
happy.gif

vanadis82

Hello Vez!!! So nice to see you back here.
happy.gif
Nope my ROM is on the 12th, pretty soon already. I am having it at a small chinese tea house along tanjong pagar. I really love that place! Was thinking since Raffles hotel is so colonial and English, then I would want to have smth more oriental for my solemnization.
Will share with you my pics when I get them!
How's your preps coming along? How's your gown? Should be starting your photoshoot already?

rabs

hi brides, have a qn here... not sure if anyone had the experience of having the solemnisation at the lawn first followed by dinner in the ballroom. do you usually proceed to have cocktails on the lawn, or do you proceed straight to foyer of ballroom for cocktails after solemnisation? any idea if raffles will charge extra for having cocktails on the lawn instead of at the ballroom foyer?

sweetpea_lee

hi bride, tx for your recommendation on tri-angles had a look at their website and it was impressive!

hi girls,wanted to ask if u girls are intending to use the both of the 2 nights stay at the raffles hotel? it seems a bit of a long stay for me, or did anyone manage to exchange 2nd night stay for something else?

vanadis82

hi sweetpea,
I'm going to stay for 2 nights. Think its a nice break to take. If not think you can also ask if you can extend the 2nd night till your anniversary.
1 night is about $550+++ so I would think you can change for quite a bit of things like extra wine, waiver of corkage etc.
Depends on who your coordinator is. Some are more flexible.

sweetpea_lee

Hi Min Min, thanks! yah maybe I will extend the 2nd night for the anniversary.

Hi Rabs
I have seen some some bridal parties take their cocktails on the lawn in the evening after solemnisation, then proceed to dinner at the east india room.

hweyhwey

Hi Vez,
thanks! baby is fine and sometimes i can feel he kicking... very nice feeling... but i always feel very tired...

U must be very excited now... can start to do those little things already... better do it now... maybe ask ur mum and mother in law what they want u to buy.... last time i bought till i very blur... today they want this... tomorrow they want that... hahaha...sometimes even don know understand what they want... a lot of things I did it very last minutes...so now a bit scare liao... my husband already bought many things... otherwise baby come out don have this don have that... hahah

sweet pea,
I also extend the 2nd night for anniversary... not because too long... if they willing to let me stay one week i also don mind... haha..cos my mother in law a bit "pandang", she said that we have to sleep in our own room at 2nd night.. so we changed... can bring baby there liao... :p

tingshen

actually the GST is only 1% additional right? coz government is going to scrap the 1% CESS right?

btw, do you guys remember when was their wedding show? the last one was about 2 weeks ago. We miss all the good offer etc, now aiming for Oct 2008, will wait for the upcoming one....any idea? based on the wedding show time for past years?

sweetpea_lee

Hi Hwey Hwey! Thats so cool to celebrate the first wedding anniversary with the baby!

Hey wondered if anyone has started printing wedding cards yet? did anyone use the printers recommended by raffles? think its called jasvy marketing? any idea how it compares to other printers like T Dragon?

serapheve

Hi there brides!

Minmin, how was your ROM? It must have been exciting! Yeah, I think having an oriental theme is cool. Do let me know how it went so that I can recommend my friends there too
happy.gif

Hweyhwey, really so happy for you still! Haha! It must be great to be able to bring baby back to Raffles Hotel where mommy and daddy got married! I think being a young mother is ideal and you're lucky enough to be one!
happy.gif
Sigh, too bad that won't be the case for me as turning 29 this Sep and not even married till Jul 07! I think young mothers are cool! I envy my mom in that sense as she had me when she was only 22.

I had my photoshoot with Eugene from Chris Ling. He was very very nice and accommodating. I had fun though I was still down with flu. It was more fun than expected actually! Not as tough as it also appeared to be. Im sure you had fun during your photoshoots too!
happy.gif
I'll email Minmin and Hweyhwey some photos once Eugene passes the cd to me.

Hey, Agnes is leaving. A new guy Tom has taken over my account. He seems nice enough. Anyone of you also affected by the change?

Hi Sweetpea,
I'm also in the same boat as you...gotta print my invites soon as wedding's on 1 July. Hmm, dont even know what wording to put on the cards! Waiting for Tom to get back to us on a possible template
happy.gif
Do let me know if you find out anything about the printers. I wonder if there are links in this forum about the printers. If Im not wrong, Raffles only offers 2 types of cards right? A red card and a white card. I think I"ll go with the white card.

hweyhwey

Hi Vez,
looking forward to see ur photos !
happy.gif
I like to see wedding photo!
actually I think we just one year different, i born in 79, turning 28 this oct... I have a friend who already has 2 babies..

1++ month to ur wedding... so exciting... hehe.. i still remember last year around this time i don dare to eat... cos photo shoot on june... then now i keep eating... so much different...

Vez and sweet pea,
I use T dragon and never went to another one... cos i just anyhow call then go... is quite easy.... just go there choose one, change the name and date, choose the font u like, then can liao...
ya Raffles only has 2 types of cards, i like the red sticker most... but if it;s real one then will be better... haha... but impossible

vanadis82

Hello Vez,
Yes it was exciting! That day passed so quickly, and within 5 mins fr ms become mrs. :p I was trembling when I put the ring on my hubby's fingers!
Yep I've got my photos already, u got email add I can send them to?

lyons

<font color="119911">hello!

Hey hweyhwey, I'm 28 this year too! What a coincidence
happy.gif
but I'm nowhere near being a mummy yet
happy.gif
You expecting boy or girl?

Hey minmin, as promised (very long time ago in march), here are my rings. Just collected them yesterday
happy.gif
</font>

sweetpea_lee

Hi Vez and Hwey Hwey,
yah raffles has only 2 cards, red one with the 'xi' word and the white one. Me going with the white one too! Agree with Hwey Hwey think printing is quite std so will just go with whichever printer that Raffles is using (in this case Jasvy Marketing) to save on the hassle!

lyons

<font color="119911">anyone has a picture of the invitation cards? I need to know what it looks like to confirm my colour theme...</font>

vanadis82

Hi Bride!!
Your rings are very nice!!
I've never seen them before at Lee Hwa leh. Its Destinee diamond? It looks very nicely made leh....
My rings the workmanship not very good leh...
sad.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">hi sweetpea, the white invitation card, issit ivory coloured (a bit shiny) or issit matt white? What's the design like?

Hey minmin, yep, destinee diamond. Now pok kai liao... the LH guy say can choose ordinary diamond if I want, cheaper but then original is destinee, so much shinier too so we spend lor. Thanks thanks... don't worry about your ring, just make sure the jeweller fix it properly if not keep going back and bugging them. If still cannot then make complain... </font>

blue_monkey

Sweetbeng >> fancy "seeing" you here again! I'm also a Raffles BTB - April 2008.

Bride Lyons >> photos of wedding invitation...they are slightly glossy and ivory. oops..but they are quite grainy - but i hope you can tell the rough design of it.

488013.jpg
488014.jpg

serapheve

Hi there!

Glad to see the forum so active!
happy.gif

I decided to take the red card as it had a bit more colour. Hmm but Im keeping my fingers crossed that it would turn out nice....I would strongly strongly advise that you check the draft soft copy that they send you very carefully. Jasvy was rather unprofessional as they mispelt both my father and fiance's name wrongly despite us writing it out for them!! That's very insulting. My fiance's name at the top of the card was spelt correctly but the name below the rsvp was mispelt into a female name! It looked like a lesbian marriage if we didnt spot the error! Postal code missing one digit and disorganized layout too. So do check yah??
happy.gif
Not sure why Raffles sends the cards to them for printing as substandard professionalism as compared to other printers.

Hweyhwey, Ive just emailed you some of my pre wedding photos. Minmin, what's ya email so that I can email you too??
happy.gif
Do email me your ROM photos too yah? My email's [email protected]

Hi Bride,

Very pretty pretty rings!!
happy.gif
I'm sure they'll look gorgeous on your finger. I've also just gotten my rings finally engraved so another task done!! Yipee!!
happy.gif

Welcome Sweet Beng and Blue Monkey!
happy.gif

I hope you'll find this link really useful on getting tips. Im sure you'll have a great wedding next year too!
happy.gif
Time flies so start planning early!
happy.gif

lilo_stitch

hi Vez,
Thanks for update abt Jasvy, will take note.
Have u meet up with Tom? Is he easy to speak with? Sigh... 1st is annabel n now agnes
sad.gif

i cant remember who i promised to send my pic of gown, anyone just let me know ;p