Queries on Europe Tour planning!

alhana

Hi gal

What do you intend to see in Paris? Paris is very easy to get around on your own..no real need to book local tours. Just arm yourself with a metro map..most of the attractions are within walking distance from a metro station. Same for major shopping belts. You can also take an RER train to Versailles. Haven't been to Italy so can't advise for that.

yoji

Hi alhana,
I have booked a hotel and staying in zone 8e - Champs Elysées

and hoping to go for some cheap shopping for art jewellery in zone 14e I heard

Then most of the places of interest I guess.
What else is something not to be missed in paris?

alhana

If you like you can visit Paris Disneyland. We only went to Versailles Palace, which is quite beautiful. Can also explore the town around it. How many days will you be in Paris?

If you like cheap shopping, try visiting the flea markets. They are usually only opened over the weekend. The thing I liked abt Paris was that it was a nice place to walk about...lotsa nice old architecture to gawk at...cute little shops and cafes...we walked till our feet ached so bad!

Other places to note are of coz the standard tourist fare like the Louvre (it's huge..can easily spend a day there), the Eiffel Tower, Montmarte, Notre Dame..take a boat ride along the River Seine.

yoji

Hi Alhana,
I will be in Paris for 5 days and it is during WINTER time and during CHRISTMAS day too. As everything is closed on christmas day, I might go to Paris Disneyland as this would be the only place that is open in Paris. I guess Disneyland would be beautiful with snow as well as christmas decoration.

What about the food, any good that is gooddddd and not to be missed?

Yeah, the flea market would be a good choice I guess cause I was told there are heaps of good BUY but again , wondering if they will be open in the winter.

vine

anybody been to prague, austria ?
any must see places or food to try out?
how is the weather at 10 degree in europe?
like wat kind of clothing is most appropriate?

kxbc

If you are in Paris, visit Sainte Chapelle in the daytime for the beautiful stained glass. It's so beautiful and enchanting. My jaw dropped to the ground when I stepped in.

carndablues

you can take the open topped bus tours that they have, quite cheap, think i paid 21 euros per day, unlimited rides and it will take you to all the attractions in paris...but might not be a good time in winter, i was there during spring

carndablues

if you want to goto austria during christmas, i would give vienna a miss as most of the city is closed! although if you're a history buff they do have a lot of grail artifacts, such as the longinus spear, but i would recommend going to salzburg, a whole lot cheaper and so very beautiful, and there's actually snow there! in vienna it was just cold!
if you do end up at salzburg, get yourself the salzburg card, you can buy it at the travel information shop, it gives you free access to the main attractions, like the famous castle and also public transport, there are local, travel agencies offering trips to all these famous places, but with a little research you will find that they are all serviced by public transport

makino

Hi KXBC, how is the stained glass in Sainte Chapelle different from Notre Dame?

I agree with Alhana. Paris is quite ez to get around with a map. Try to ascend the Eiffel Tower before sunset. It's beautiful to see the whole city during dusk!

I travelled mostly in a coach while in Italy, and I think a lot of places, like Rome, you need to walk a lot. It's possible to backpack there, but I think you've gotta be extra careful of your belongings. If you go to the Travi fountain, there is an ice-cream shop on the right side which sells very nice geleto(how to spell?) ice-cream. Hope it's still there..hehe

Vineyard, I've only been to Austria, not Prague.
Salzburg - Mirabell Gardens where The Sound of Music was filmed for some scenes.
Saw horse carriages along the way and heard that they have a famous chocolate cake (forgot the name) somewhere near Mirabell Gardens.
While you are in Salzburg, perhaps can visit Mozart's birthplace at the same time... The whole street is so 'musical'...

In Innsbruck, there is the Golden Roof where legends has it that the roof was where a wealthy archbishop hid his money.

Didn't spend a lot of time in Austria and also can't remember so much now..hehe..oh yeah, remember to buy the Mozart chocolates!!!! It's so cheap in Austria compared to those you see in SG!!! Another interesting thing to notice is the signboards above each shops. For eg. if you see a pair of scissors, that means this shop is a hair salon.

10 degrees? I think you can bring winter wear already..hehehe

yoji

haizzz, the hotel I orginally booked in Paris told me the hotel is closed for winter. THe $$$ went into my card and now then they tell me it is cancel and refund money into my card.

At lost, which hotel did you all stay in Paris? Please help...

kxbc

Sainte Chapelle is totally different from Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is old, big and grand. It gives you that very serene feeling when you are in there even though there are lots of tourists milling around. The stained glass there is limited, mainly to let in natural light into the cathedral.

Sainte Chapelle is smaller and more intimate. It is filled with stained glass wall to wall, almost every single wall. When the sun shines in (best around 10am or 3pm when the sun is slanted and not directly on top), it illuminates all the stained glass. It's enchanting.

Sainte Chapelle is within walking distance from Notre Dame and it's not easy to find as the exterior does not give you a clue to its grand interior. If I remember correctly, it is like in the grounds of a govt agency and we had to be checked before we could get in. There is an admission charge I think (but worth every euro).

spring_05

Hi,

I'm new to this thread...I intend to travel to Paris, Switzerland & Amsterdam in Nov. Do I have to prepare those thick winter wear (thermal wear) or sweater? Do I have to bring my own adapter for my digital cam instead of borrowing it from the hotel? Any things do I need to take note of??

Pls help...Thanks !

yule

hi tulip

depends on your personal threshold for low temps. for europe, I never needed to wear thermals. some ppl are comfy with a thin layer of cotton body suit. Europeans find it queer to see ppl from the tropics should wear so many layers...

yes, u need a woollen (or cashmere if u are scared of cold) jumper and a good overcoat. I don't know if u need downjacket, becos I don't need one unless the temps dip below zero. Dun forget those gloves and scarves just in case...

as for the adapter, u need to find out if u r staying at a B&B or proper hotel. The former might not offer such equipment. No harm bringing an int'l adapter lah...

novia

Hi girls!

I'm planning our honeymoon and I'm glad to hear that some of you are planning to go to europe during dec/jan! So am I! But mine's next year :p Heard the natas fair for 2006 is in mar, 24th-26th so maybe will go then.

Was thinking of Cosmos' tour: either "essential italy" or "the best of italy" because these 2 are the only ones that focus just on italy and start on christmass eve. Want to spend christmas eve in Rome. Then we'll F&E to Greece.

Any advice?

pauline12sg

Hi, anyone going Europe in Mar'06?
happy.gif

smoke

vineyard, yes i was in prague in may 05....1st time was back in may 96. It's a beautiful old city.....juz strolling along the charles bridge is such an experience!

gal, u can try saint honore hotel, book thru www.parishotels.com It's near to metro. It's abt 30-45mins stroll to the Tower. It's simply romantic to stroll everywhere with SO in Paris (we were there last Mar 04).

tulip, another thing to note is u may wan to pack along a mni hairdryer if u hv long hair. Not all hotels/b&b hv it.

pinkblusher

Prague is a city I fell in love with... my love story with Prague started with a friend who was raving about it, then I got to see the city in a Van Diesel's movie I forgot which one it was. Anyone knows how much to budget for a trip to Europe (backpacking style) which includes a quick pop in to Prague? Say for 14 days? Would appreciate if anyone could email me their itinerary...

pauline12sg

Hi Smoke, how is the weather like during March in Paris? I'm planning to go honeymoon in Mar next year. Hope to gather more info b4 I book any air tickets / tour package.

Hi Pinkblusher, can tell me more abt Prague? If I'm going to Switzerland and Italy, is it convenient to go Prague as well?

smoke

pinkblusher, for me n so's 3 weeks in paris & various parts of spain, we spent around 8/9k. for our this year's 1 week prague & venice, we spent around 4k. we stayed in a cheap n no frills room (pls contact owner 'Paul' via website www.paul-prague.cz) with great location i would say.....10 mins walk to charles bridge & a great american style cafe for breakfast (think omelettes & bagels n great coffee!) nearby! You may also see
http://www.pragueapartment.com/index.html or www.pragueroom.com for great value for $ rooms/apt. Prague is much cheaper compared to other european cities....n remember they still use czech crowns.

Pauline, the paris mar weather when we were there last year was pretty cold n wet. Around 13/14. More impt is the constant drizzle n strong winds at times. I wore 2 layers of long sleeves cotton/acrylic tops n a windbreaker. Gloves were useful coz it's the fingers which got most frozen! I got bring umbrella too. We got 2 sunny days out of the 5 days we were there. But i tell u....the rainy weather made Paris all d more romantic : )

Check out the map - Prague is for sure along the way , in betw italy & switz in fact. You can check out budget airlines or take the train.

pinkblusher

Wow thanks for the information Smoke

Can I confirm if the amount you mentioned includes airfare and spending money (food and other misc costs)? Pardon me for asking, but isn't 1 week to cover both Prague and Venice a little short? Which time of the year do you reckon it's best for me to visit?

If I choose to do only 1 trip to Europe do you think it's too ambitious to cover Rome, Italy, Spain, Paris and Prague in say 2 weeks? I plan to travel via EuroRail pass... wonder if it's safe to travel solo though.

If you have any pics feel free to share them with me at [email protected]

I can never tire of looking at travel pics
happy.gif

pinkblusher

Wow thanks for the information Smoke

Can I confirm if the amount you mentioned includes airfare and spending money (food and other misc costs)? Pardon me for asking, but isn't 1 week to cover both Prague and Venice a little short? Which time of the year do you reckon it's best for me to visit?

If I choose to do only 1 trip to Europe do you think it's too ambitious to cover Rome, Italy, Spain, Paris and Prague in say 2 weeks? I plan to travel via EuroRail pass... wonder if it's safe to travel solo though.

I can never tire of looking at travel pics
happy.gif

pauline12sg

Thanks alot Smoke! Wow... looks like Prague is a really nice place, I've read a thread on Prague, makes me even more feel like going there now.
happy.gif

I've heard of comos, contiki tours. Are they good? I'm considering free and easy too but it really needs alot of detailed planning.

Hey Pinkblusher, u are good! So daring to travel solo, don't think I can do that... Really "pei fu" those who can travel around alone
happy.gif

smoke

Can I confirm if the amount you mentioned includes airfare and spending money (food and other misc costs)?

YES. For spain we covered ard 7 places - madrid, barcelona, seville, toledo, ronda & granada & espot. We flew via their domestic airline www.iberia.comhence saved on time & $ infact. It's cheaper to fly than via rail!

Pardon me for asking, but isn't 1 week to cover both Prague and Venice a little short?
No choice as hubby cant take longer leave
happy.gif
In any case we were re-visiting these places so 2 nights in prague & 4 nights in venice were quite ok
happy.gif

Which time of the year do you reckon it's best for me to visit?
dpd on wat weather u like pinkblusher....coz we actually prefer cooler/colder weather! Prague was perfect in May 05, but venice was too sunny for our liking....ha ha....Italy tends to be really hot from june to aug! I think apr/may would be lovely

- it's packed but doable. I think it's gd to 1st spend 2-3 nights and then u can return to places u like in futur for longer stay. Pls check out www.whichbudget.com which gives gd budget airline rec. U might find it cheaper to fly than rail! I would say it's safe definitely!!! It's safe when i did it almost 10 yrs ago....n also safe when at times me n SO split up for couple hours during trips there these few years. Rule is of course stick to bigger brighter places n avoid late nights. many pple travel solo in Europe, no worries. can be lonesome though, since we asians dont rally wif the caucasians taht well. It would be gd to be able to be wif So or close gf in view of all these picturesque places .

may take a while....coz need to delete those human shots 1st....
happy.gif

Prague is a really nice place, I've read a thread on Prague, makes me even more feel like going there now.
- YES it's lovely!!!! the food is nuthing to rave abt. It's simply the old city feel of the place...coz it's pretty much quite preserved n nt overtaken by modern buildings etc

I've heard of comos, contiki tours. Are they good? I'm considering free and easy too but it really needs alot of detailed planning.
I know contiki is quite reliable. Gd to get them to help u plan coz otherwise u do need sum time to plan.

Gals, do check out useful sites like the forum in www.fodor.com, or is it www.fodors.com
Also www.virtualtourist.com as well as www.tripadvisor.com LOTs of info..... enjoy & hv fun!

pinkblusher

Hi Smoke

Thanks once again... shall check out these websites and update here again once I have firmed up if I'm going. Most likely will go in Mar/April period

Hi Pauline

No lar... I just have a little adventurous streak in me
happy.gif
Are you planning to go with your SO?

pauline12sg

Thanks Smoke! U've been very helpful, I'll chk out the site u provided.
happy.gif

Hi Pinkblusher, pardon me for asking, what does SO stands for? :p
I'll be going with my hubby, for our honeymoon. Heh heh, so u are going in Mar / Apr period, same here!
happy.gif

icebaby0

Smoke,

listening to you rave about Prague make me tink of going there rather than Italy (Rome, Capri, Florence, Venice) for 14 days.

Which is more worthwhile? Italy or Prague? How many days to stay if go Prague and where else to go (i.e. country/city)?

I trying to work out a budget of $5k-$6k for 2 pax

smoke

icebaby,

both prague n italy (specifically florence & venice) are lovely in their own rights. That's why we revisited venice n prague! Prague can be easily done with min 2 nights as it's a small compact city by foot/metro/tram. Venice is just magical coz of all the pretty architechual bldgs n it's surrounded by water!!! Just being at their st/ mark square at night n listening to the open air performance by the restaraunt hired musicians....WOW! And so romantic to wonder along their streets etc...everywhere n corner in Venice is kodak moment
happy.gif

Hvg been to almost all european cities except Greece......must go (for me) - paris, prague, venice, spain, switz interlaken!

Paulin e- so is significant other
happy.gif

yule

Dear Prague lover,

I totally agree with Smoke about Prague too!!! I went there in the Summer of 1997 after watching "Mission Impossible" the previous year. Yes, alone I went becos I was living in London then, so intra-european tickets were fairly affordable... It was just one of those spur of the moment tour booking I made and never regretted...

I'm an admirer of German writer Franz Kafka who lived in Prague in most part of his life...his little house was just next to the Old Town Square where you can ride horse carriages or enjoy a Drum fag at one of those al fresco cafes. Paying homage and pilgrimage to his residence was edifying to me then...I also visited the Clock towers, the National Muzeum, Prague Castle & Cathedral, Jewish quarters + cemetery where you can look at the Holocaust children's exhibits...

Of course, it was even more of a breathtaking experience strolling across Charles Bridge in the evenings and getting 'lost' on those medieval lanes at the back of the old town. I can't find any words to describe that kind of magical feeling I got when I was just sitting at the Interncontinental lounge facing the river, jotting down little notes in my little travel journal, writing postcards to family and friends, sketching a little scene here and there on my sketchbook. Or simply sitting at a cafe watching prolific band musicians blasting on their jazz instruments whilst I partied with tourists from all around the world. We boozed Czech beers, binged on all the Czech finger foods, and revelled all night long until we took the last train back to our hotel.

Being a nostalgic person, I also scoured through the old antique shops looking for collectibles left behind by the communist regime. I was totally entralled by the old newspapers, Stalinist stamps, CCCP badges, antiquated letters and postcards wrote to their loved ones during the war. At one point when it poured heavily, I sought shelter in Old Town Hall with an old Czech woman whom I 'interviewed' (like a journalist) about the old commnist days she used to lead. After the rain had stopped, I was lucky enough to bump into a newly wed couple who got married at the Tyn church. It was the first and only Czech wedding I'd ever witnessed.

A few days later, my lover came down from Bavaria to join me in the Eastern leg...I'll never forget the late afternoon when we paid 50 crowns to the boatman below Charles Bridge to rent his boat to row along Vltava River!!! And so, for an hour, we rowed up and down the river, across and back to feed the white swans, underneath the Charles Bridge waving to tourists above us, listening to buskers serenading in a distance...it was sunset and the purplish-orange sun that cast upon the Prague Castle had transformed the majestic architecture into something incredibly awe-inspiring!!! There as it stood, a live postcard before our eyes!!!

pinkblusher

Hi Smoke

Thanks!!! You made my day as well as my stronger resolve to visit Europe
happy.gif
Thanks again sis

hi Yule

Wow... sounds like you hada lovely time in Prague... and with your lover from Bavaria!!

3 Cheers to the most romantic city in the world =)

bortei

hi smoke
i will be travelling to paris and london in mid dec....my first trip to europe with my hubby

did you experience racism when u are there? i find that the email response from the operators )hotels and some day tour companies) not very friendly leh, very different from australia...

and i heard there are alot of pickpockets in paris, esp the metro?

Can you advise me what are the things i should be careful of in paris and london?

Thank you!!
Appreciate any advise from people who just visit paris and london this year.

smoke

I will be travelling to paris and london in mid dec....my first trip to europe with my hubby

GREAT!!!

did you experience racism when u are there? i find that the email response from the operators )hotels and some day tour companies) not very friendly leh, very different from australia...

nope we didnt experience overt racism.....BUT, d undercurrents were there. More evident in Paris coz after all the French pple are in general nt friendly pple. And they do sound very curt n unfriendly thru emails for sure.....perhaps due to their poor command of eng? London will be alright.

RULE - stick to the more major popular places. Avoid seedy places....guide bks n the forum in www.fodor.com will provide gd guidelines on these. And of course dont stay out late. me n hubby would always be back in hotel latest by 12am.

and i heard there are alot of pickpockets in paris, esp the metro?
true, but fortunately we never met any during all our trips there....coz we took precautions. We dressed simply in neutral colors...i used a money belt to secure extra dollars n passport. hubby used a small black men's wallet n always on alert when paying for stuff etc. We seldom take d metro.....we prefer to walk.....
happy.gif
And it helps that we looked sorta 'fierce'.....HA HA....

Can you advise me what are the things i should be careful of in paris and london?
Comparateively speaking these 2 r the more safer cities!!! Just observe the usual precautions n be alert n u will be fine. In view fo the racism issues will be best to stay out of seedier areas....e.g. designated chinatown areas in london n paris....

HTH

bortei

smoke!
Thank you so so much for your prompt and detailed reply! much appreciated. =))

For Paris, was the Lourve Muesum and Notre Dame crowded? I will be staying at Hotel Splendid around 7th arrondisement.
I will arrive in paris around 5pm plus from London via Eurostar....i can't get earlier tickets, so abit worried cos by the time we reach, it's nightfall by then...not sure if we should take the metro from Nore Gurd station to our hotel or take a taxi...

anymore advise for me pls?
Thank u thank u

yule

hi pinkblusher: No lah...my lover was my ex-bf who travelled from Bavaria to rendezvous with me then. He is a 'lover' becos he didn't fit the bill as my 'husband'. I've a real hubby now
happy.gif

yule

Bortei
I'm so envious of you...going to Paris and London.
The Louvre Musuem and Notre Dame will be more crowded in summer. but the winter crowds just the same cos of year-end tourists. If you don't hv much luggage, the Metro is a cheaper option than taxi of cos..

The French are getting friendlier by the years. I recall more than 10 years ago, they were so snobbish. It's hard to get passerbys to reply you in English. In recent years, the younger generation French are getting better. I asked about 10 people to give us direction and all replied in halting English.

The French lady who operated the pension we stayed was not exactly unfriendly. Just the usual French attitude which didn't bother us or spoil our holiday mood. It's the French, you have to remind yourself constantly.

I'm not sure abt the racism thingie cos France's been chaotic in recent weeks. Just be careful of those African-French targeting at Chinese lor...

As for pickpocketers, yes, I encountered once on the Metro but my friend shouted at the pickpocketer and she promptly alighted at the next stop. It's quite common...just remember to buy travel insurance.

smoke

bortei,

of course if u hv money to spare n budget is no issue then always sweet to flag a taxi to your hotel
happy.gif
and yes 5/6pm will be dark since it's winter so day is much shorter. If u n hubby r d 'calm n collected' sorts who are alright with lugging ard your stuff n travelling light n hv sense of direction....then metro is the way to go....as paris metro is easy to use.

The Metro station closest to your hotel is Ecole Militaire. So fr Gare Du Nord u can take metro to strasbourg saint-denis n then change. Look at the metro system in any guide book n u will understand what i meant
happy.gif

beautyseek

Hi, i am also planning honeymoon, possibly in first week of Oct 2006. Reading all your posting makes me feel that i can't wait any longer but to fly there straight! (esp since i have been really over-worked and have not taken any holidays for past 2 years!)..

Am in beginning stage of all planning... from reno to wedding to honeymoon..so overwhelmed by the homework to do for each and all these on top of crazy workload.

Thanks for all the advice. I will be a regular here