Qian Xi Restaurant (Farrer Park)

leafy

hi curious,

i think the best person to answer ur question is Suzanna herself.
happy.gif

give her a call?
happy.gif

Maybe u can negotiate with her to absorb the 1% gst?

leafy

hi kk, jenny,

so fast decide on menu liao?
as far as i know, FIL wants suckling pig n sea cucumber...
I dun want sharksfin...hope FH/FIL agree.

btw...is there dry ice effect for march in huh?

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Yah, me changing the fish to garoupa too. We ourselves insist on it coz it is always not nice to serve seabass as pple deemed it as "cheap" menu, then reputation tarnished! haha... Any idea how much they charge for change of fish? $20??

Hi Gals,

Will pple mind if we serve mushrooms instead of abalone? I am very sick of abalone ever since CNY. Phobia.. keke... my mum say she doesn't mind having mushrooms. Mushrooms if well cooked can be very nice, nicer than abalones
happy.gif

Hi Curious,

At first i wanted whole suckling pig. But after having tasted whole suckling pig during CNY, guess having suckling pig becomes an "er xin" experience for me. So guess we give whole sucking pig a miss and choose suckling pig cold dish instead
happy.gif

Hi Leafy,

Braised duck with sea cucumbers is a good one. Try not to miss it. It is supposed to be one of the most important dishes for wedding dinner. It sounds nice to the older generation
happy.gif

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Oops, forgot to ask u. Which shop in sun plaza did u see the balloon glass.. can still remember? :p

K

koibito03

Hi kk,

Actually the food are quite standard, I can say it's really a typical chinese 9 course menu. (e.g. suckling pig, fried chicken, sharkfin soup etc) but the taste is wonderful.
happy.gif

Well, it's a good idea to have the reception and cocktail at the VIP room because i find it a bit too crowded at the entrance. There is hardly any space for the photographer and videographer. Moreover, the guests are all crowding at the small entrance to view the couple's wedding album.

Oh yes, I remember they played the wrong song during the march-in. Then the music stopped for a while (~ 15 sec) then it was replayed again. Probably, you can highlight this to your co-ordinator.

Hope the info helps.

jenny

Hi KK

The shop is at 3rd level in Sun Plaza, there only one Hardware Shop. Will get the actual add and let you know by next wk.

Gald tat their foods is great. I running out of time so might not going for food tasting. So How??

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Yo, squeezeee some time out to go for food tasting lor. If not a waste leh, and hor, i think pretty exciting to go for food tasting. On actual day hor, dun think we have chance to taste all the 9 dishes anyway
sad.gif

Hi Koibito,

Played wrong music?? This is wat couples most afraid of! Ok, i'll try to ensure this will not happen during my event.

Ur friend took the whole suckling pig? How u find the taste? ok? Well roasted? What about the sharks fin soup? I read from past msgs that some couples actually add additional shark fin into the soup coz there is simply not enough. Added cost of course
sad.gif

Yah, the menus are all pretty standard. I think the best is the most expensive menu with everything from lobster to suckling pig to braised duck to abalone. But that will mean more costs incurred. especially with the gst involved.

jenny

Hi kk

We will be going down for food tasting this coming Friday.

If you change the fish to Groupa, there an extra for $15/fish.

So worry abt the attendance due to the SARS.
There a delay in the MRT opening and we will not ask the bus from them to cater the guest to the rest.
As FIL has already cater 2 bus for his side.

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Enjoy your food tasting session! Do feedback to us how u feel
happy.gif

Which menu are u taking at the moment?

How is the bus catering like? For qianxi bus catering, where are the pickup stops? Any idea? This service is FOC rite?

jenny

Hi Kk

I took the 3rd menu but will change the fish to Groupa and have to paid extra $15 for the fish.

Suzanne did mention if the MRT is not ready by our wedding, she will cater bus to ftech our guest from Lavender MRT to Rest. This service is FOC.

So have you go for their Food Tasting?

Bom Bom has not feedback to us how her wedding? Any idea how the Hotel suite?

Cheer

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for ur info! But what if the mrt is opened? Then no more bus catering available?

That would be great! From lavender to restaurant
happy.gif
So presume it will be stated in the invitation cards?

I think i have food tasting in Aug or Sept. Is it too late to have food tasting in Sept when my wedding is in Oct?

Yah, me waiting for bom bom feedback too! Like to know how her dinner goes...

jenny

Hi KK

If the MRT opened, there no more catering of guest from MRT to rest.

They never state in the invite, tat why we also dun intend to take their service. How are we going to inform realtive and friend abt this service.

When you go for food tasting shld be ok since you have confirm the menu.

So have you decide what to give as flavour

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Hmmm..so guess that i won't need the bus catering service unless the mrt dun open by oct! hahaha...

yah hor, even if we inform the relatives, they won't understand also. U know those old folks, i think they dun even know where is lavendar mrt. hahahaa... and there are others who stay very far from east side, so no point, they might as well take cab.

Oh, for wedding favours,i have gotten some traditional red gift boxes that stated "Long Feng Xi Tang" on them from concourse. I intend to pack hersheys chocolates, sweets, jelly, etc into them. Probably around 6-8 items for auspicious meaning.

jenny

Hi KK

How much do you get for the "red box". So you giving to each box per guest.

Ya lor tell them they also find it troublesome. And wat time we shld ask them to be at the MRT also a problem.

Jenny

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

I bought around 450 red boxes. I will be having around 42 tables, so get some extra to standby.

Yup, one box for one guest.

Yah lor, then end up u get telephone calls everyday to confirm where to catch the shuttle and wat time and which exact location to meet.. ma fan loh.

jenny

Hi KK

went for my food tasting y'day overall not bad. Do bring up some point for Suzanne to take note. End up we took the sea bass cooked in bean sauce. Tony treat us this dish and both parent find this dish better than the steamed Groupa.

Do you notice tat all their utensil is plastic?
And the chicken do have a smell seem like the oil they have use many times. And they serve the chicken with the head and "back". People like to have head & tail (you tou you wei)

Thks

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

What about the rest of the dishes like braised duck, suckling pig cold dish (got food tasting cold dish?), sharksfin, cereal prawn, mushroom, yee fu mee and dessert (which one u took?)? I am interested in this menu too
happy.gif

I didn't notice the utensils. But then it is a restaurant, so understood that they used plastic utensils
sad.gif

Oh, did u notice the colour theme they using? Pink or blue or violet?

u ask about the GST? 3% or 4%?

Oh, u mean the chicken comes without the tail?

Guess those are the things u feedback to suzanne lor?

jenny

Hi kk

The portion is enough for 10pax. I took the 3rd menu and might change the dessert to Yam w Giko Nut. The red bean w lotus seed, they used those powder as we can't really find any red bean in it.

Both parent like the braised duck they cook it till very soft.

Their color team seem to change to light violet. When I sign the contract tat time, your theme is more darker colour.

They serve the chicken without the head & tail. I do bring up to Suzanne tat on tat day all my table must have head & tail.

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

I am thinking of Yam too. Heard that their Yam is nice
happy.gif
I find red bean paste very common and i personally dun like it.. kekeeke...

I remember they use pink theme before, and after that they use violet. Yah, maybe u are right, they only change the tone. Luckily they never use champagne blue as theme which suzanne mentioned to me last year. My EG is in champagne blue.

cath

Hello All
Long time no see =P Hope all are fine and happy!

kk,
Have you got yr balloon glass? I saw it at AMK central. If you are still looking for it, let me know.

btw, i spoke to suzanne one day and asked her abt the gst thingy. she told me that it's prevailing gst no matter when it is booked.

jenny

Hi kk

I have checked with Suzanne and the changing of the Yam dessert is $5 per table.

Ya.... till now I have not settle my table arrangment.

Okay will feedback after my wedding. Wait for my good news.

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

I thought Suzanna say that changing of desserts need no extra costs???? Why $5? She never keep promise ah. Then changing of lotus leave rice to yee mee leh?

When is ur actual day? Congrats!

K

kk

Hi cath,

Missed your msg just now *oops*

Oh, not getting balloon glass anymore. U know something funny? Recently i saw it at rivervale plaza, near my love nest! And i am searching high and low for it! Anyway i dun need it anymore cos i have bought gift boxes from concourse and intend to put candies, chocolates, jellies, etc inside.

That means the GST is 4% then?
sad.gif

jenny

Hi kk & cath

Wow, finally over.

The whole dinner was quite satifised, I do have 39 + 3 reverse. We opened 36 tables. It very important to do RSVP, we do have few friends never turn up or last min just SMS you they can't come. That why I have a few tables with only 6~7 pax.

I was too busy and never realised that there wasn't any red carpet for our march in. And Suzanna did mentione there will be dry ice for the 1st march in but viweing from my video capture, there not dry ice. Only for the campange only and cake cutting, they use the smoke effect.

Their lighting is so great.

Overall the food wise, my guest like it. The Yam dessert is best worth to pay extra $5.
Which package you took? I took the 3rd package.

Thanks

B

bom bom

Helo gals,

It was really a long time.. sorry abt tt. Glad tt Jenny is having a great time. Well, me too. Same as Jenny, I also took the 3rd package. For the hotel suite, I didn't take QianXi offer. We booked Mandarin Hotel ourself.....

Well, a word of advise. Better to arrive the restaurant early 2 look for the album stand cos we dun have a album stand & in the end, our album is like musical chair being passed around....& my guests kept coming to ask me 4 my album.....hmm....Secondly, better use the music provided by the restaurant cos we provided our own music and eventually, our 2nd march-in music was not the right one.

I got good comments abt the food from my guests. Taste nice and generous servings...

As we do RSVP, thus, all our guests turned up that day. initially, we booked only 30 tables, but then we opened up 34 tables....hmm extra 40 ppl. tt's b/c my husband's relatives and my friends can make it on that day.

most imptly is njoy yrself with your husband. Anyway, it's yr BIG day....

K

kk

Hi Bom Bom,

Why does the restaurant always repeat the music mistake?? Pretty disappointing hor? But does it have nice music for march in?? i have intended to use my own music, wat a letdown if that is the case!

I am glad to hear the food is nice! That's a relief
happy.gif

I just had my PS today. Was fun but pretty tiring!

cath

Hi Jenny & Bombom
So glad to know that all went well for both of u. Hmm, it seems like they always made the mistake of playing the wrong music, cos that happens to my friend too... can u imagine they played moulin rouge song 'hey sister go sister.....' on their march in?!?! :x instead of a slow song... so funny...

Btw, did both of u play the video? Everything turn out fine too?

B

bom bom

Hi kk & cath,

I even purposely burn a CD for the DJ to operate the march-in & first dish in sequence & yet can play wrongly....well, maybe if you gals want to play safe, can advise one of yr friend to station there to advise the DJ. I only heard one song from their CD. Not bad lor. I can't remeber the name, but it's quite a popular song for march-in which is suggested in this website.

Well, I did play the video. But I ask my friend to operate the video lor. hee...to play safe mah.....

Hmm, I think another highlight is that if they are 2 weddings on that day, better remind them to have some indication to lead the guests to the big hall. cos my guests can't see any indication, thus they search the whole place for my place....hee.....well, eventually they called me up....well, best of all is carry a hp with you or divert yr calls to yr hubby's phone......

dun worry so much lah.....it'll turn out well. the atmosphere on my wedding day r very good. It is comparable to a hotel atmosphere. Just tt it's not in the hotel.....for a restaurant to have such a good atmosphere, it's pretty good. :)

jenny

Hi

I never burn any CD as worry they will play the wrong songs, I do stress to them I want them to play "From This Moment" for 1st march.

Boom Boom

Do you notice any red carpet? During food tasting, I did check with them if every table entitle to "finger bowl" for washing their hands for the prawns. Suzanna promise me every table will get 1 bowl but on actual day there no bowl.

I dun really like the Guy Captian he very "ya ya" We told him tat we need a small table for my album and he said wow you are the only couple with 3 album. So angry
After he settle the bills, he passed me 2 empty Ang Bao for his staffs.

The hotel tat they provide is so lousy and heard from the hotel stuffs we are the last couple to stay there, they are closing down next month

K

kk

Hi Gals,

If i am playing the photo montage, so ur advice is to get a friend to play it for me too? I think i would feel safer to have a friend to guard over the montage playing for us
biggrin.gif

Hi Jenny,

Oh, u did not pass the captain any red packet before the event starts? I always heard it is best to do so, else sometimes the staff will have some kind of "attitude problem".. haha... somehow ang pow always does the trick
happy.gif
So how much did u give them as ang pow? I am just wondering how much should i give when the time comes.

I am surprised how come the red carpet isn't there. Thought it is always laid there and i saw it when i went there to sign up last year.

Can we get a friend to be the DJ as well? Hahhaa.. based on what u all have said, i really dun feel safe to let the staff touch any of my music and montage.

jenny

Hi KK

It better you ask your friend to do, the captain who in charge of the songs seem not so friendly. And during the Yum Seng, the mike dun seem to work well.

No we never pass them the red packet. I used to work in service line before, we are not allow to ask red packet from guest. And he give me this type of "bo chia" look so I dun really want to give him, but in-law ask me to give $20 x 2 red packet.

Ya I was so busy and never realised the red carpet, until I view my video then I realised how come there no carpet.

I think is better you get your friend to be the Emcee. I dun really trust them. Heard from the previous posting, someone do post their staff talk nonsense during the dinner.

K

kk

Hi Jenny,

Ok sure, i will get my friends to help me out in the songs and montage. And also, i have always intended to get 2 friends to be the emcees. I read the posting also, they simply talk nonsense when they are emcee. Ridiculous rite?

Looks like qianxi is not perfect afterall. Perhaps i can only count on the ambience and food to add value.

B

bom bom

Hi Jenny,

THere is no red carpet. It's only an isle to walk there. Wow, lucky, Ididn't take the hotel. I took another 5 star hotel in orchard. Bigger suite somemore cos got promotion mah.....I didn't give any ang-pows cos I dun know need lor....The male captain, I dun trust him at all....he everything can can can, then in the end, didn't fulfill & got a mess of my 2nd march-in music & other things lah.....well, get a mc yrself..... & someone to play the music.

T

tt

Hi everyone just to check if i use their music do u think that they will make mistakes.and oso to check wif u y must get our own mc? Soori 4 so many questions ask.
Thanks u gals in advance

jenny

Hi Boom Boom

Yours also no red carpet? I did ask Susannza and she did said have leh? Tar days was too busy and never bring up during payment times. And some tables do complain their fish not fresh.
Was so angry should have inform them before the settlement.

TT
I used their music and nothing goes wrong just the cordless mike have problem during the Yum seng times. Lucky the MC make joke on tat.

tt77

Hi Jenny read ur msg ,just another question :wat abt the mc is he friendly must we give him the speeches of wat to say on the actual day or need any reshersal.

jenny

Hi TT

I never used the restaurant MC but do hear from the past post tat the rest MC talked nonsense during his speech.

So you have take up Qian Xi? When yours wedding?

T

tt

Hi kk
Which branch is isz that the mc simply talk nonsense.But y he wants to do tat

K

kk

Hi tt,

Do u intend to sign with qianxi? Kekeke.. u sound anxious :p

yah, i dun understand why the MC behaevs that way, always play the wrong music and have funny things going on like wat the girls mention. Luckily the food is a relief
happy.gif

The girls are from farrer park. I am with farrer park too. My wedding is Oct. I think generally, the food and ambience is very good. I can only know more when i am going for food tasting in aug
happy.gif

T

tt

Hi kk
Me alredy signed up wif them in only recently then found out that they made so many mistakes, me really worry on the actual day,dun noe hw things will turn out.

jenny

Hi tt

My wedding just over (9 May)everything is okay. But you must be firm with that guy captain, he very "ya ya".
For the music, I use their and for MC I use mine. So everthing quite okay.
As for the Photo album, do ask them to set a extra small table rather than putting at the reception table. It will be too cramp for your usher and guest.

Before the settlement, do check with those relative around abt the foods. I was too busy and forget to check with them and only realised after the next day that some table fish is so fresh. Was so angry abt it shld have deduct some $$$ from them. Or shouldn't have given the captain ang bao.

When both of you when there, do you found any red carpet?
And also remember what Suzannz promise during your Fd tasting, she do promise every table will get a finger bowl to wash their hands for the prawns and end up done of the table get it.

KK
The dry ice effect is only during champagne pouring. I looked back at the photo can;t find any smoke effect when we walk down the aisle
Will check for you tonight.

K

kk

Hi tt,

I have to keep my fingers crossed! I also dunno how.. hahaa.. but well, dun get urself worried. Be easy and see how things go
happy.gif

Different places have different set of problems. Even hotel ballrooms can give problems sometimes, so let alone restaurant.

joanna

Hi every1,
i read all the conversations from the start i felt abit insecure ant Qian Xi.. my dinner is on the 15 june, although mine is at marina south, but ther are still some doubts...

I had alreadi choose my own MC, songs, and temp. take will get my friend to do it i think is much safer, but i wan wondering y no red carpet? den y u guy need to buy balloon glass? i thought they do provide?

that time i went for food tasting is was on the april.. the food is quite gd, actualli sometime the way Qian Xi do things not realli that professional as in the way that i ask them abt the decoration, she cant show mi how is the outwork, the onli thing she tell mi is 'sure beri nice' i find it fishy... if jus like u guys say no red carpet how? that ur big day, u oso dun wish to make a fuss there rite. n the red packet, i thought is their service to serve my guests? if they wan extra muz well add 1 more + which is service charge!

and the favors i intend to get those mini candles and print wordin on it, but scar the elderly say someting bad..

mute

K

kk

Hi Joanna,

Not sure whether they provide balloon glass. Initially i wanted to place the glass at the reception to hold my chocolates as wedding favours. But recently i got some gift boxes to put favours in, so i dun need the glass anymore. U need it?

Mini candles should be ok, i believe they have nice wordings on them rite? Hmm, why not check it out with ur parents, seee whether they do mind. It is always better to be safe than sorry.. ekeke..
happy.gif

I am keeping my fingers crossed! Mine in Oct. Do feedback to us ur wedding dinner
happy.gif

joanna

Dear kk

i will let u guys know abt the dinner... for my parents they dun mind, treat it as a new fasion.

i dun think i need but thank for the offer (balloon glass)...

so what u do get for your singnature book? as i got to know some1 who do those things handmade...

you can design as u like... Yesterday i when to her place n discussed wat r the things i need, example the flowers for my 'sisters' to tie on their waist (as i didnt ask them to where similar clothing). and a signature book, the candles oso she recommand me.

u can go www.lil-art.com (Lilian) and have a look wat they haf. But is gd that u mit up with her as she can show u more items which not in the website.

i gif u guys my email address which i can receive on the spot so that can reply u in a shortest time. [email protected]

K

kk

Hi Joanna,

I may not be using qianxi guestbook, cos i have a signature scroll from my bridal shop so i find it more meaningful to use the bridal one. can i exchange the guestbook for something else? kekeke...

yah rite, i visited that website before. Pretty innovative items there. But there is always the cost factor
sad.gif

joanna

Hi kk

Qian Xi dun provide guestbook so cant change lor... the scroll izzit with photo on it? if yes u have to think twice before using coz like my friend or colleague they use it always got ppl or small kid mess up the pic... instead of beautiful effect turn to be anger.. as ink might drip on the pic.. or u may use a plastic to stick on the pic when u finish the dinner den remove the plastic.. it work as a protector lor!

if not u ex-xhange with your bridal shop with a 15" pic insert to your book...

Mute

joanna

earlier got ppl say that the captain did ask for ang bao rite.. according to my sister actualli we haf to gif them as a appreciation. so kk i think u haf to prepare for it as they use that money to spill among the waiter n waitress.

Futhermore, if you in a ball room sure haf red carpet (according to Suzanna) so does u guys held at the restaurant?

Den I oso ask her can let my friend to work on the system (play music), starting she say if my friend know how to operate den ok, but later part she say better to let their guys to do it... i quite worried...

mute