Punggol Nasi Lemak

astrogirl

i dun tink so... nothing special abt the food. and it's too expensive!!! all my frens complain abt the price. one drumstick can cost you abt $2! seriously now the biz already drops, can tell...

i think the nasi lemak stall called 'golden shoe nasi lemak' at golden shoe food market (at raffles place) is much much better & reasonable price... long queue always too... but food centre renovating ley... dunno where's the stall now. anyone noes?

yule

i think i prefer the one at Amoy Street Hawker Centre, level 2 facing the temple side. It's very yummy and reasonably priced...

missylan

Yes, this is what I feel so too! I was amazed by the queue though. I lived in Seng Kang and often patronise the Upper Serangoon Rd food. Often past by Punggol Nasi Lemak and forever there are people queuing. So out of curiousity, I joined in the queue. I ordered eggs, luncheon meat, curry veggies, chicken wings and otak for 2 pax, damn such cheapskate stuff cost me $10.40! The wings tasted like going to burnt(I was joking commented that they are trying out a new recipe "Kopi goreng ayam". NOTHING is special. I prefer the Chong Pang which is before Punggol's. I ordered a fried spicy+sweet fish chip, drumstick and a veggie for 2pax. It cost like $7+.... And taste yummy... I can say cheap and nice. But sometimes, a lady in her 30s looks very stern. Kekeke...

icebaby0

yuletide,

I don't think the punggol nasi lemak is nice. I prefer the chong pang one that is beside them. Their sweet fish and chicken wings are nice. (agree with missylan) But unfortunately the price is alittle bit cheaper than theirs only.
I stay there so long i think i only ate twice from punggol nasi lemak but ate so many times at chong pang.

yule

really? then it must hv deteriorated. tried that 5 years back
happy.gif

icebaby0

yuletide,

maybe. Cos i stayed just a walk away from those 2 nasi lemak and that's my opinion. But then again...different people have different preference.
happy.gif

missylan

icebaby,
Yes, the fried sweet fish is super nice... Punggol supporters, you might like to try the one beside.... "No bluff you aah"! Kekeke

sandsand

PUnggol Nasi Lemak is so so only, nothing special. And very expensive.

The next door chong pang nasi lemak much better! cheaper! and nicer!

alleb

Actually i quite like punggol nasi lemak... i live in woodlands but once a while i will travel to punggol for it though chong pang nasi lemak at sembanwang is nearer....

i do admit punggol nasi lemak is way too ex... but i just love the rice and the chilli... the rice is beri soft with just the correct amount of coconut in it. The dishes are however just normal and but expensive...

icebaby0

jasmine, but have u tried the chong pang one that is beside it? If u haven't, u might wish to try...ur opinion might change?

*just a tot.

flowerygal

i tink punggol nasi lemak is veri lousy. i tried at their 2 outlets n reali still cant make it. The rice is most horrible w/o enu coconut favor. Alot of other nasi lemak stalls taste much better than them. Chong Pang is e best so far? Actuali i hv veri low standard for food alredi yet punggol still nt to my standard?

samgirl

I prefer Chong Pang Nasi Lemak & Changi Nasi Lemak...and recently, my huuby and I went to try the upper serangoon outlet of Punggol Nasi Lemak and after queuing up 30mins for it, I seriously dun see what all the hype is about...It was one of the worst nasi lemak I've ever eaten....

stormrider

Whoever says Punggol nasi lemak is good is speaking nonsense.

Let me ask two simple questions, for those who disagree, to think: just how 'good' a plate of nasi lemak can get? How do YOU grade a plate of nasi lemak as good?

Probably none can type out explicitly how a 'good' plate of nasi lemak should be. This also applies to the Boon Lay nasi lemak, which to me is another so-so. Nothing special, but there'll always be some smart-alecs trying to be very 'experienced' with food, declaring to the whole world if possible that it's really 'g00d'. Geez.

For that matter, almost 90% of whatever queues there're, the food is always 'good' only by mouths; people say 'good' and thus others follow like blinds.

Another example is the Chinatown porridge, which is located in a coffeeshop along the New Bridge road leading to Police Cantonment Complex. Almost every night, there'll be people queueing for don't-know-what 'good' food.

However, the ultimate, best, most superb example has got to be 'Ling Zhi Yuen' barbecue prok slices. Hundreds and hundreds of empty-headed fellows will queue infront of this small shop months before Chinese New Year comes, probably doing this right now as I type, waiting just to lay their hands on these 'preciously-bought' roasted pork slices. Some people, upon interviewed by news reporter, even have the cheeks to declare that they've been queueing there, under the hot sun and beside the smoky road, for hours already.

This is more laughable when my gf and I, when passing by the long queues, took a peep at the roasted slices and, to our surprise, saw that the slices were dark, dull and never shining with freshly barbecued oil. They don't even look tempting and delicious by eyes! Least to say by mouth.

Bottomline: don ever say something is good and join in the declaration, just because someone else said it. Queue one time, try one time, that's it. Never ever follow blindly and fight all your way out just for some 'normal' food.

Sad to say, some Singaporeans really do that, everyday and every year.

fionaallen

ya i agree Punggol nasi lemak is nothing to shout about. Overpriced too!

I prefer the one in golden shoe but it's under reno now
sad.gif

The other one is the Amony street one. Yummy
happy.gif

fionaallen

hi felicia
yes the one in cbd. Is the golden shoe carpark hawker food center up yet ? i haven't been to raffles place for a long time.

ccc

I tried Punggol nasi lemak and it was not good and extremely oily.

I like the chong pang one, esp. wrapped in banana leaf, not oily, fresh and simply delicious.

delenne

my fh and i prefer punggol one. but of course its quite over priced. but its nearer to where we stay.
and sometimes rather than drive up to chong pang, we rather just go have the punggol nasi lemak
just dont ever order the chicken drumstick. daylight robbery.

icebaby0

Those who like to go to the punggol nasi lemak via car, please give considerations to the residents staying around there and the BUS LANE. (There are car parks available opposite the road & in simon road. Since queuing for so long doesn't matter, what's walking abit?)

Inconsiderate drivers are causing huge jams n blocking residents from getting home. Plus some drivers are very dangerous. =(

**Also to highlight, jagged lines are now being drawn on the bus lane. Hence cars are NOT suppose to park there.

sghellokitty

I saw a forum talking abt how good the punggol nasi lemak so i went to try. Hmm...nothing to shout abt. But the queue was so long...i wonder why and so expensive.

Not very nice.

chay2

as a non-nasi lemak fan, it failed to impress me the few times i've tried it, though i've lived in kovan for the majority of my lifetime. the queue's always been long, though most people generally agree that their standard has dropped alot.

well, i guess the queue is testament to it's quality still being good enough for people to bother, and since food is pretty subjective, it prob is worth a try i guess. warning though, car park is crazy there, so might wanna park at the public carpark across the road.

lovella42

Very lemak (taste of coconut) and great tasting.

Always long queue but expensive compared to other places. Prefer the branch at Hougang