Propose

leoroar

Hey, hmmm, i dunno if its the correct place to post this, but anyway..
My gf and I have been together for almost 3 years, I decided to propose to her next year on 15th may. Wants to use this year to plan out how to propose etc etc. but totally gt NO ideas at all >.< was wondering if i could get some "ling gan" from you all =) thanks in advance =)

ariel84

That's sweet of you.
happy.gif

Try to find out what she likes. Every girl is different and expects different things... does she hope for a romantic and expressive kind of proposal, or just wants a simple one? From there, you can better plan how to do it.

Personally, I like proposals to be simple and meaningful... such as go back to the first place you've dated. (Yah, I'm boring)

ecsy

oh sorry not useful.

depends on the girl i guess, what kind of personalty she has...does she like big celebrations or just quiet time?
I guess the standard but romantic way would be with her fav flowers (or soft toy) with ring and on one knee!

leoroar

just thought of an idea, was thinking of doing a short film/video on how we 2 met, the impt events that both of us went though together, and ending with me asking her parents for permission to propose to her
follow by me proposing to her
venue and sequence leading to this still thinking
what do you all think?

miloice

here's mine idea.
date some day in 2003... it was our anniversary celebration after a nice dinner. We booked a room for ktv.

While happily singing, I arranged for the DJ to play a short clip I prepared for her. The rest are the usual proposal kneeling down blah blah blah.

nichie

asking her parents for permission to propose to her

So it's not a candle light dinner for 2 but for her whole family? Asking her parent first then propose to her? Wont you find a bit of anti-climax from her side? No surprise factor lei...I felt its better to be a couple affair when come to proposing unless you are very sure her parents are sure to give the approval and she is ready to accept your proposal on the spot or the atmosphere will be very awkward if one party say no or both....or she tell you she cant decide now..then how? Sorry, not pouring cold water but just talking about worst case senario.

Why dont you upload your film onto a ipad or tablet and the film ending by proposing to her....by then you should bring out your flower and ring..you can do it during a dinner on top of marina sand skypark or in a private cabin of singapore flyer or cable car....night view are fantastic...good luck!

matka

Outcast,

He probably means including the asking for permission part in the video (not when he's actually proposing to her). Kinda like what the video that Gerald posted, which went viral very recently.

nichie

Keke...icic..or I find it abit bold although not so romantic to ask the parents first then the gf at the occassion...but it also show he is respectful of the elders..

snoopies

Hmm... actually its not about how you do it, its more like the thought behind it.

For me, actually i am someone who prefer a proposal with friends ard coz at least they can help to snap some good pictures. But my hubby is someone who is shy... and prefer to do it in private.

He actually proposed twice, at the most boring place (my room) and most unxpected moment (I m half asleep). Its not that he got rejected therefore proposed twice, but first time he came with a handmade ring (in wire which can be done in 1 minute), and the 2nd time finally came with a 1carat diamond.

Tho this was done in the most unwanted place n moment I wanted, accompanied with the typical speech, I find him really sweet and the event is still memorable. It touches me not during the moment, but his preparation behind the scene.

snoopies

Oh, share with you wat my friend did...

He got his family to help him with the proposal, n I think its really really nice~

They placed several lightsticks at the multi-story carpark opposite their block, and invited the gf over at nite for dinner. A usual event for the family~ so when the gf enter the bf room... she saw something blinking opposite at the window and went closer to take a look... and there written 'Marry Me' in a heart shape really big n visible. The moment when gf turned around to find out what is it all about, bf kneel down infront of her n proposed (only the 2 in the room, the rest of family outside viewing &amp; taking pictures).

I think... getting the guy's family members to be involved is really sweet... this shows to the gf how his family accepted her and love her to join as part of their family.

nichie

Ya...thts very sweet...not like one of my colleague's friend, her bf asked her something like that "ei, hdb price getiing expensive and got to wait very long, want to apply now?"...keke...only in singapore...

snoopies

lol~ thats a typical singapore style of proposing. But usually GF will LL say ok and may or may not receive the official proposal. But this depends on the couple also, some can live happily without, but good to have~ a memory that can be kept 4ever.

snoopies

btw, regardless how many carat diamond ring you're preparing, your WTB will definitely love it.

Should after your proposal, if anyone ask about your ring, please answer them sincerely that you bought it coz you love her and think she deserve it. Not as like 'oh, bobian leh, she like it so LPPL'. This is so typical of guys!! lol

miloice

that's sweet.

gotta know the gal personality enuff. Some gals doesn't like to feel pressurized and prefer it to be a individual proposal without others egging her on.

leoroar

hahaa, i watched tt video le then thought of this de.
yupz, the asking parents part is in the video, not with her parents there,hahaa.. but as i said, its still a very very rough idea, hoping to improve it from here =). i gt almost 1 yr to prepare

tomasulu

it is near impossible to have a memorable proposal here because the element of surprise is typically missing. by the time most local guys popped the question, the couple would have already gone to hdb, visited show flats, attended marriage preparatory class, and perhaps even rom. if there is no suspense, you can't have a good proposal. just tell her to sign on the hdb form already.

chewyg

Kelvin: Is 15May her birthday..? Haha.. Cos I proposed to my WTB on her birthday..

I literally took 24hrs to give her 6 "gifts" to represent our 6yrs together and finally proposed to her in mid-air (found out later that she was most touched cos she knows I have height phobia and I specially force myself to wake up in the morning to cook her the meesua - which I never fail to wake up late everyday.. =X)

miloice

"by the time most local guys popped the question, the couple would have already gone to hdb, visited show flats, attended marriage preparatory class, and perhaps even rom"

kind of stereo-typing...

to share ... While preparing for proposal, I had been telling my gf I will take several more yrs before planning marriage. It surprised her completely. When she went for holiday with a family, I took the opportunity to do an entire day of diamond shopping before deciding on the one. Kept it for 6 mths till our anniversary.

After the proposal, we then took another 2.5 yrs before our customary. Dating, marriage and starting a family.... we had it all spread out. From 2001 to now.

Its really up to the individuals.

leoroar

gerald, nope, its not her birthday
i choose tt day because its the 1314th day we 2 have been together, in chinese 1314 sounds like yi sheng yi shi, in a way i'm telling her i wanna be with her forever

infojunkie

哇。。。

一生一世。。。

年轻真好啊。。。

加油加油
happy.gif

powder

well in cantonese it's not exactly auspicious either, but if she subscribes to it, why not?

i'm certainly not in the sweet league so dun mind me bursting the bubble abit here... just wanna say that the most impt thing i feel, as a husband... is consistency n being able to be yourself, yet keep wife happy.

some pe go out of their way during certain periods of courtship n proposal, but after marriage, they fall back... so just remember that u should not overly out-perform yourself and create unnecessary expectations and pressure on yourself.

cheers n have a good marriage.

chewyg

Kelvin: Sounds like a plan already.. ;) You can always do a laser show for her @ the Suntec Fountain..

Nonetheless, you should start researching on diamonds already.. I took abt 6mths to select the correct diamond while researching on the 4Cs.. Gd luck bro..

leoroar

haha, noted powder =)
she suggested applying for the BTO next month for the yishun flat =.=,i might have to pull my plans forward >.<

nichie

Aiya, kelvin, she is on with you already lah..keke...gal don't anyhow ask guy to apply HDB with them in singapore you know...congrats!!

leoroar

haha, manage to convince her to wait till next yr, when i start my new job after i ORD ( already gt a job so dun think i proposing without any means to take care of her,hahah).heh, i wont rob her of a chance for a proper proposal =P

chewyg

Kelvin: Gd jb bro,, ;) Hard to find guys tt will take the extra effort to do a actual proposal anymore.. Most of my friends are already applying hdb.. Bringing their gfs to the ring shops to "check out the rings and diamonds".. But .. But have not proposed yet.. -.-! I planned and saved for 10mths for the actual proposal day.. So nervous.. I memorized a script but can't speak a word when I knelt down.. Haha.. So sad..

Btw, I saw ur gonna be a staff nurse? I use to be company medic in infantry coy.. Shag man.. ;p

leoroar

hahaha, ya, gonna become a SN, but surprisingly, i was not posted as a medic, and now due to slipped disc, i become a clerk >.<
we did talked abt when to apply for HDB etc, but to me, if i haven do a actual proposal to her, i just dun feel right.ahahaha

leoroar

Ok, Currently working on this idea, plz point out any loop holes if you all see any kz, thanks in advance

A short video(5 to 10mins) that starts off with an animation on how to we met (due to the fact that filming is not allowed in a hospital)
The video will transit to a video of places that holds important memories for us with intermittent writings on what the place means to us
The video ends with (still thinking on this part)

Her friends will ask her out on that day to eat at a certain restaurant which has a projector playing korean songs most of the time.
Will waiting for the food to come, the video will play
After the video , I propose to her( still thinking to pop out suddenly or to have already came down with the gals)

haha, so far tts the idea i have, any suggestions?

bedokboy

there's a chinese/taiwanese clip on youtube about women star signs and the ways they like to be proposed... maybe go check it out...

ariel84

Kelvin, i feel pop out suddenly is nicer. Don't let her know u are coming, let her think it's just her friends. Of couse must pa kat with the friends liao.
happy.gif

miloice

Kelvin, gotta remind u again. Not every gal will appreciate the peer pressure of being egg on by friends and public. So, u gotta know her enough to understand if she would appreciate the public proposal or would she prefer an individual one. Cheers.

tomasulu

there is a show on cable - rich bride poor bride. they contrast an old happily married couple who spent very little on their wedding ($25 ring and a reception at the backyard!) with young extravagant couples spending like theyre royalty. kinda set me thinking if there is a link between money spent on weddings and the quality of the marriages.

anyway, there must be a link between my ramblings and what's being discussed here. but you will have to find it yourself. in case you are wondering, i am really not trying to be reverent killjoy here... all the best to your upcoming proposal!

leoroar

haha, miloice, no point, understand where u coming from =)

tomasulu, no time watch cable, in camp for 5 days a week.lol

tomasulu

would someone buy a tiffany ring only to put it in a cheap plastic box with an led light? even the neighborhood jewellery shop has nicer looking jewellery boxes. the idea is ok but the execution needs work.

sammi321

My ring was a diamond ring from SK jewellery..
The propose was so sweet! My bf gave me the ring wif the flowers.

scopefun

Congrats! Many women have been given rings of any values to provide free fugs... and more rings given to other women for more free fugs.

Stay happy! LOL~