Phuket - after tsunami

im_ashley

Hi, my HTB and I are planning for a 4D3N Phuket holiday in June but my HTB is a little worried after Phuket's condition after the tsunami. Could anyone who have been to Phuket these few months give me some pointers on which area to go to? How much Thai bahts do I need to change and what are the must-do activities there? Thanks alot.

alhana

Hi Ashley

I believe Phuket should be fine now. Some places probably still under repairs, but in general, it seems the place is fine. Check out pics at http://www.phuket.com This site is excellent to check out status of the hotels (like whether they'r still closed or already operational) and to find out more abt the island's condition.

IF you want convenience, Patong Beach is probably the best place to stay. Most of the shops, restaurants, pubs, tour agencies etc are at Patong. For a quieter location, you can consider Kata or Karon beaches. Depends on which you'd prefer.

Must do activities incl island hopping, snorkelling/diving, sea canoeing (if ure sporty) and they say Phuket Fantasea is well worth the money spent (cultural show plus dinner). Of coz there's also shopping, eating and general R&R.

FYI, June is actually their off-peak season as its supposedly the monsoon period. However, I went to Krabi in June and the weather was fine. Good thing is prices are lower, and less crowds. Now with the tsunami, prices cld even be lower to draw the crowds back.

I believe S$300-S$400 is more than enough for 4D/3N.

zenn

Hi Ashley & Alhana,

Which beach and resort would you recommend if going wif family (wif kids)?

sysa

Hi Zenn,

U can try Holiday Inn. They have a Kid's Club where you can place your kids while you go for shopping or anything else. The children will be entertained with drawing, reading, watching tv,etc.

alhana

Hi zenn

I stayed at the Burasari resort, which is right next to Holiday Inn. Yes, I think sysa's suggestion is a good one..HOliday Inn is well-suited for families. Burasari is a boutique hotel, and while its lovely, it doesn't hv much in the way of facilities. The pool is quite small, and I feel that it's better for adults than families w small kids.

zenn

Hi Alhana,

Thanks! Ya I also feel Burasari more romantic whereas Holiday Inn for family... Ok will let my sis know hehe

impulse41

oh i just came back recently. Think i went in March. More of less back to normal. However, there are some shops/resturant still under renovation. other than that, it's fine

im_ashley

Thanks everyone for your helpful information. My HTB booked the Jiva Resort & Spa at Kata Beach but airport transfer at $69. Do you think It would be cheaper if I take a cab from the airport to the resort? Do recommend some nice restaurants, islands or shops that I can visit there?

alhana

Hi Ashley

Is that airport transfer fare for return, or one-way? Taking a taxi at the airport to Patong beach is ard THB 550 (fixed rate). It'd be cheaper if you get a meter cab outside the airport gates (there's a taxi stand outside..you'll hafta walk thru the airport's parking lot to get to it). If going to Kata, it may cost slightly more than going to Patong. Maybe ard THB 600-650/way (non-metered taxi)?

Most of the food we ate in Patong was good. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names. We had thai, seafood, and italian on the 4 nites we were there...all tasted good, and easy on the pocket as well.

Nice islands include the Similan islands, Raya/Racha Island and Khai Nok island. Some islands have 1/2 day or full day tours. If you don't wanna risk getting a bad sun burn, perhaps a 1/2 day tour is best, esp if you take the morning half. I was at Khai Nok for a whole day, and I got burnt pretty bad :p But its a beautiful place. Can feed the fishes that swim up to the shoreline. Snorkelling there is pretty nice too. Similan may be off limits during the monsoon season (May-Nov)

Shops..hmm..mostly they had stalls selling all the usual suspects : handicraft items, fake DVDs, Tees, beachwear, jewellery, footwear, bags, sunglasses...nothing really great to shout about. Expect to bargain.

impulse41

hi zenn,

stay in devanna. quite fun.

Deevana is good but try and upgrade the room to deluxe with personal jacuzzi. i did that and it was so fun. my hubby and i was inside the jacuzzi every time we can spare. esp late at night and early in the morning.

but deevana a little far away from the market and clubs but still within walking distance. or u can always hire a tuk tuk. very cheap. about 100 baht per trip which is $5.

louie

Hi all,

Went to Phuket & stayed at JW Marriot (north of airport) in March 05. The hotel is superb... regretted not bumming at the hotel enough. It has a private beach, wonderful pool, lovely restaurants (abt Sg prices). The kids club/ health club had many intersting activities... so should max time at the resort. Spa is nice but quite ex! Hotel was generally not affected by the Tsunami (only pool area- looked perfectly fine when we went).

The hotel is far fr Patong.. the hotel provides a shuttle service (BHT 100 per pax), return trip. The Patong side has be restored partially, however it is no longer like before. The shopping isn't great... so having a nicer hotel for relax/ spa would be more ideal.

Cheers
happy.gif

panda_dimp

Hi Folks,
AM looking for a travel companion to go phuket F&E on 30oct - 3nov 05.prefer lady mid 20s-30 coz am a mid 20 lady. Coz first time going phuket. Anyone?

panda_dimp

hi alhana,
are you sure that 'Is that airport transfer fare for return, or one-way? Taking a taxi at the airport to Patong beach is ard THB 550 (fixed rate)'...so ex meh.550 bucks is like 22 sing dollars liao just to get from airport to hotel in patong meh?

alhana

Hi panda,

It's one-way. The journey is quite far...about 20min. It's not ex considering the distance. It will be cheaper if you head out of the airport and flag a cab on the main road though...but some people find it a hassle having to drag their luggage across the carpark on their way out to the main road.

panda_dimp

its only 45km from airport to my hotel in patong.22 bucks for the cab huh.wat to do this type of money cannot save one....heeee

pyk

Hi panda,

Why dont u consider taking minivan, cost only B150/person, seats 10 persons (unless u hv 3-4 ppl). But they will also drive u to their tour agency place, it wastes ard 15mins there, but luckily they r not pushy.

yule

agree with KPY

I was just there early this month and I also took the airport shuttle for only THB150. I just told the travel agency I'd already booked my resort, so they thanked me for my time and let me return to the minibus. It wasn't much of a delay since there was only one other tourist on that bus with us. She too had prebooked her hotel and the travel agency just left us alone.

yule

u now hv one more airline to take.

October 24, 2005, 2.50 pm (Singapore time)

Jetstar Asia flies to Phuket

SINGAPORE - Budget airline Jetstar Asia said it will fly to Phuket in Thailand four-times weekly from Tuesday, further boosting the resort island's recovery from last year's tsunami disaster.

Jetstar Asia will fly to Phuket in Thailand four-times weekly from Tuesday, further boosting the resort island's recovery from last year's tsunami disaster
'Phuket is solidly back on the map. All indications point to an economy that has settled down and is ready to accept a new phase in its tradition as a great resort destination,' said Jetstar Asia chief executive Ken Ryan in a statement.

He said that with hotel occupancy rates still recovering, it was time to 'recapture the excitement and beauty' of the island, famed worldwide for its exotic, white-sand beaches.

Jetstar Asia, which is backed by Australian flag-carrier Qantas, is offering a one-way fare without taxes of at least $30 for travel up to Dec 15, the statement said.

Tiger Airways, a rival budget carrier backed by Singapore Airlines, is already flying to Phuket.

juz_dimp

hi kpy and yule,
can you tell me where to get the minibus from the phuket airport? i am going to phuket next week too.
tks

yule

oh, when you walk towards the exit doors, you'll see a so called limousine counter. u just pay to the guy and he'll give u the ticket and direct u to the minibus.

won't miss it! If u can't find, just ask where is the THB150 bus counter lor! hheeh

juz_dimp

tks yule,
i not sure whether i will spend time on the mini bus....i will see is the situation..tks..
me going to patong beach this weekend to enjoy my mini honeymoon.
wish me luck
happy.gif

kankan

Hi KPY & Yule,

Just asking will the mini bus choose which hotel he waana go? Cuz my resort is the Treetops Arasia. Will he go to that resort at surin beach? Can I book a 2 way transfer from the minibus?

kankan

hi dimp, how yur trip? Im going there at dec. So gathering some feedback...
Did u take the minibus?

yule

Hi Del Tan:
The airport 'limousines' are classified by routes. I stayed at Burasari so I took the Patong Beach bus. Just tell the driver and he'll take you to the doorstep of the hotel. No, I'm afraid the cab prices to most places are fixed. I had to pay THB500 flat fare to the cab driver to take me to the airport on my return leg.

juz_dimp

hi del,
my trip there is cool.enjoying lazing in the patong beach e whole afternoon do nothing.sipping cool refreshing water, overseeing the sea.the waves are very strong.
i took the mini bus -20 baht at the patong bus station near the sea pearl resort.
but when i come back from phuket town-heeee..i feel lik ei look like a "zu zai"(piglets waiting to be sold) coz its not a bus..its like a cover up pick up..fetching pple eg school kids, working pple from town back to beach...everyone keep squeezing into the tiny pickup...wif many standing hanging out of the pickup...haha

i am suprised that thai pple are very cooperative.they automatically shift to the inside when pple get out.thai pple are friendly.

overall i only stay in patong..enjoy e scent in bangla road..n good food there

i will love to go again..but to karon or kata beach
they say if u want party..go patong.
if u want to nua n relax go karon or kata better
happy.gif

juz_dimp

hi del,
i took the mini bus from airport to the patong beach.150 baht per person.mostly they will wait 8-10 person and go off from the airport,depends on the bus size.

Along the way, they will stop at a tour agency and jio you to go down and book some tours from them.If u choose not to book from them, then stay on the minibus till some passengers from the same minibus haven finish booking with them.
After which they fetch u to respective hotels.

This process may be fast n slow depends on whether got pple book tours from them along the way.

The process from airport to my hotel is 2hrs
sad.gif

i believe if u want to save, the overall winner is the mini bus company.
imagine u pay 500 bahts for taxi.
whilst 150 bahts for minibus for reach.times 8 = 1200 baht..they earn lots..

if u all guys go in groups of 3 or 4..take taxi is better than minibus..wun waste time

bambooshoot

Depends on where you are going. If u have hotel booking... normally they have hotel transfer as well.

Anyway the place is more or less cleared up... and it is now cleaner than before.

There are some really cool stuff over there... shopping and eating... pubs... Try elephant trekking, ATV Eco Tour, Horse Riding, Sea Sports. Visit temples, Visit the view points, Visit the waterfalls, go shooting range, Try Go karting, Golf... many many things to do

ttss

Hi people,

I have a voucher for -> 2 Night Weekend Stay @ Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa. The details are as follows.

* 2 night WEEKEND Stay in spacious Guest Room at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa.
* Sunday Brunch (meal) @ famous Sails Restaurant for 2 persons.

Selling for S$300.00
Note that this resort is not affected by tsunami as it is at high grounds.

If you are interested, pls emal me at [email protected] . Thank you.

ooshie

hi jacquise,
have been there 4 times since the tsunami, no worries at all . unaffected or affected makes no diff to the beautiful beaches. went there last in feb for ps and valentine's day
happy.gif

happytea

hihi, i will be going to Phuket, Patong beach end of the mth, but its only a 3D2N stays F&E, any places/activities which i shld not miss out?

we were given a list of excursion to choose from, like Promthep Cave, Gypsy village, Chalong temple, phang nga bay, Simon cabaret show, Fantasea show, jungle tours etc, any advise?

Any shopping area at night or daytime?

thks!

alhana

Island hopping, snorkelling/scuba diving, kayaking, parasailing, shopping at those pasar malam type stores, eat oodles of thai seafood, go to Phuket Fantasea, pub, sun tan, rest & relax...your typical beach resort type activities lor.

noxy

yippie, i just got back from phuket, 4d3n is not enough.

noscon, i saw on the web there is this room with built in bath tub, very affordable, at the old phuket. you may want to check it out (but i didn't stay there)

island hopping: phi phi island, khai island, rawai, coral island, similan island, krabi.
ave price for each trip ranges from 1000 baht to 2000 baht (must bargain with the tour operator)

There are many many things to do, suggest you head on down to the library to borrow some thailand books.

I wished i'd spent a week there....
sad.gif

noxy

hi midas, i didn't take the 150 baht transport from the airport. i read from this forum that the 150baht transport takes hours. I booked my airport transfer online. cost is 550 baht per car per way.(max 3 pax per cab)

Total was 1100 for return. its the same price as the taxi there

noscon

yap noxy

also need the contact for the airport trfer... dun wanna wait too...

idefinitely try to go phi phi n other islands..

what is the next of this hotel?

noxy

Hey gerls!

Here's the website that I booked my airport transfer.

http://phuketdir.com/palbuco/rate.htm

Phuket International Airport Service Counters

3 Major Service Counters in Zone 1 (Inside)
2 Minor Service Counters in Zone 2 (Outside)
Moo 6, Mai Khao, Thalang, Phuket 83140 Thailand
Mobile: (66) 089.470.0051, 083.181.9819
Contact Person: Mr. Piyadech Chaurchalard
E-mail: [email protected]

POINT TO NOTE: The driver will still drive you to his office. Cos' the staff there will try to sell you tour package. But they are not very pushy. You say no they are ok with it. Btw, don't be conned into booking.

There was this Phi Phi Island, Maya Island and Khai Island trip that cost about 2600 Baht. They will say, give you special price 1800 baht each. then when you say no, they will say, OK GIVE U 50% off!.....and 50% off is the standard price....so just don't book anything on impulse k.

noscon what do you mean by next of this hotel

noxy

Hi Noscon, the name of the hotel is 'the old phuket' On the website, it seems nice. but the reviews are so so only

You can check out more details here

http://www.theoldphuket.com/

The drawback is that this hotel is not on patong beach.

midas

hi noxy,

did u sign credit card during online booking or pay to the phuket driver direct? hw long did they keep u at their office?