Perth

enid

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Perth this early Nov. Any recommendation on the hotel and places of interest ? How's the weather in Nov?

Any suggestion for extend to another city ?

cleo

Hi enid,
Nov is HOT HOT HOT....summer time beginning....i studied thr and whenever it reached Nov reminds me of S'pore....

As for hotel, any hotels in Perth City shd be ok but u shd try those serviced apartments along Swan River or Margaret River so as to enjoy the scenery which Perth is quite famous for.

As for places of interest, u must go Fremantle, North Bridge Rd, Chinatown, Perth City, King Park, Pinnacle and swan valley for those fantastic vineyard stay or to buy wine there.

As for extension to another city, just rent a car in Perth and drive up to Adelaide, Dawin and etc...on the way u can camp over at those camping site(FOC), horse riding, and etc.....but be careful don't hit any kangaroo as my friend's sister hit one and kanna fine AU$2000.

Hope this is helpful!

enid

Hi Cleo,

Thks for the info.

Is it really hot ? I'm going in the beginning of Nov.

Do u know how much is the internal flight to Adelaide or Darwin ?

cleo

Nov will start to get hot and dry!

As for domestic flight to Adelaide or Darwin not too sure,cos we drove up. Domestic flight within Australia is expensive i.e. if u were to fly from Perth to Brisbane will cost u ard $500-$500 Sin Dr.

Hope this is useful!

stt

hi,

I'm planning to go Perth & Tasmania this early December. Any ideal if our local travel agency have provided such city hopping & free&easy package? Any recommendation? thks!

cleo

Wow....Perth and Tasmania...very far apart...one extreme west and one extreme east(off-shore island)....going to be quite expensive.....

Maybe u can consider other states closer to either Perth or Tasmania.

As for agencies, not sure...sorry can't help

stt

hi cleo,

I got no choice ah... I need to send my MIL to her 4th daughter's place first (perth) then my hubby & I will go tasmania for honeymoon. At first I want to go New Zealand but heard my friend said Tasmania is similar to New Zealand, people called Tasmania as "little New Zealand". I also found that the natural views there are very nice too so I intend to go Tasmania instead to save $$$ lor (think if we go perth first then go NZ from perth must be more ex!!!)

It's ok, I'll try to check with local agencies first. Thks!

tassie

Tasmania is very easy to get around, no need to get an agent actually.

Rent a car and arm yourself with Lonely Planet's Tasmania guide book. They have loads of info in there. Very very helpful.

One thing to add: other than Casade brewery, dun bother to go to the other breweries. Coz its nothing to see other than videos. If you want to see the real brewery & its works, its got to be Casade. Make advance bookings; they're fully booked almost 2 weeks ahead. No compromise either ...

Have fun in Tassie !

stt

hi Tassie,

Thanks for your info! I dun think I will take the tour package. What I'm looking for is since the internal flight in Australia is more ex, then I have to find out if I can get cheaper air ticket for S'pore -> Perth -> Tasmania -> Perth -> S'pore from local travel agencies. Sorry if I confused you. hee....

kylie

Hi There,

My hubby & I are planning to go Perth for our honeymoon in Mid-May...the weather ok? would it be cold already?

Also can anyone advise whether it would be easy to drive around Perth coz we are planning to juz buy airtickets to Perth, rent a car & drive around. So we are not planning to book any hotels b4 hand........

behappy

Hi Kylie,

I went to perth last dec it was so hot.

Not too bad, quite relax I do have some photo you want to email to you so you can see.

my hubby and me like there but one thing have to remind you there do not have any night life so in the night will be quite boring most shop closed at 5pm.

cheers

kylie

Hi Girlgirl,

DO you think it will be very cold in May? I am quite scared of coldness........

Did you guys drive around in Perth?
I would love to look at your pix. Pls email me @ [email protected]
Thanks.

jellybeans

Hi kylie,

Perth in May should be cold but I think should be tolerable. It should be end Autumn if I'm not wrong. Just bring a jacket there so that when you arrive, you can put it on but I wouldn't advise buying winter clothings from S'pore becos' you can find really nice ones in Perth and they're not too expensive.
I think driving in Perth is easy. Australians, basically are pretty friendly drivers, don't worry. Renting of cars in Perth is also very cheap. Perth has many big shopping malls in the suburbs and best of all, the parking is free so it's very convenient. Map reading is very easy there. BTW, I'm also thinking of going to Perth for my honeymoon end-Sept. It'll be Spring time so the weather should be very cooling.

catz

Hi girls,

If you're thinking of renting cars, then go for Bayswater.. cheapest car rentals in town!
happy.gif

I stayed in the Criterion Hotel.. it's at most 3-star but it's only 2 minutes away from the main shopping area - Hay Street.
happy.gif
I went in July and yes, it was pretty nippy. Esp if you go to Fremantle for seafood 'cos it's by the coast.

Pace of life in Perth is pretty much slower than the rest of Australia. For sightseeing, go for Sydney or Melbourne. But for chilling out, free and easy.. Perth is really good! If I had a chance, I would head out to Perth for a good rest!
happy.gif

pebbles

Hi Kylie,
Going to perth in May might be good if u like cold weather but it will be winter and sometimes Winter can be quite bad depending on your luck lor, there might be storm or it will rain most of the time, i would recommend u to go during sept/oct, u will get to see really beautiful wildflowers and the weather is just nice..
happy.gif

i totally agree with Catz that bayswater is the cheapest car rental in town cos u can just catch the free bus in town and get your rented car from there, the shopping centres closes at 5.30 on weekdays, friday nite is nite shopping for hay street and it closes at 9pm and thur nite is suburbs shoppings. If u need any more help u can email me, [email protected]

kylie

Thanks you all for your help.
However, my friend went there in May and says that it takes hrs to travel from one place to another....izit true?

Bayswater...what are the charges are? what type of car you gals recommend? enuff to put our luggage in lah.....

also, if my hubby & i gonna drive around, any good lodgings to recommend?

catz

Hey kylie,

Bayswater is around $40+ for a year-old Toyota Corolla.. seriously don't have to look elsewhere.. 'cos it's really the cheapest in town.

Hours to travel? Where? I mean, even driving out to the beaches doesn't take more than half an hour so I don't know what your friend means. If you're in town, you can almost walk everywhere.

As for lodgings, see my above posting. It comes with daily brekkie plus there's FOC carpark. It's next to a cinema, McDonald's, supermarket and really close to the high street.

sweetiee

Hi Kylie,

Me and my hubby went to Perth and did a self-drive from there to downsouth of western australia (up to margaret river) earlier this year... Driving there is generally okie... not too difficult... must agree that bayswater is the cheapest. But gotta book online first... if you just walk in to their shop when you get there, they probably won't have any car for you. That happened to us. In the end we got to get from another car rental co. and it was more expensive.

Here's their site: http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/

Think the weather is great in May. We were there in Jan and it was summer! Came back with sunburn.
happy.gif

For accomodation, we actually booked the accomodation in the city for 1st 2 nites online in S'pore first and then after we rented the car, we drove out of town and called and made booking for accomodation along the way.

goldie

Hi Kylie,

Try this car rental co. called m2000. Their site is: m2000car.com.au
I rented from them quite a number of times...quite cheap. If you can afford it, can try going for bigger cars, such as a Ford 3-ltr one if you're thinking of driving down south.

If you have the time, you should try driving further down south of margaret river, to augusta. There's a lighthouse there which you can climb up...and there are marvellous views from there...if you're lucky, you may even see get a glance of some whales in the distant if you're there during spring...

kylie

Hi gals,

Thank you so much for the much needed info.

Sweetiee,
how many days of leave did you take for that holiday? How I wish I can go during their summer time coz i love the sun.....too bad, wedding's in may, so have to tolerate the "coldness" lor.....

Catz,
Does the $40+ include petrol? I went to the website given by Sweetiee and it advertise that for a day it costs $10-12 bucks..if you rent it for 7 days. think it's a good deal? Is petrol expensive there? sorry hah, me dun drive and never been to Australia, so dun know the rates..

Goldie,
How long it takes you to arrive at augusta?

Have any of you arrange pick up of your car in the airport?

catz

hi Kylie,

Petrol is cheap! So don't worry about fuel cost. Yeah the rental for a week is really cheap. Don't think Bayswater has a kiosk at the airport.. you gotta go into the city to get it.

doy

hi all!

Very very excited when i saw this thread
happy.gif
Cos we are planning to go Perth and drive up to Western Australia too
happy.gif

Right now still searching for informations to book service apartments along the way. We had came across flagchoice.com as introduced from Chan Brothers but those also seems ex.

Thanks for the above infor from Sweetiee about the BaysWater, it surely helps alot for us to rent cheaper cars since we are on budget.

Any idea on how much to budget on too for the whole trip?

thanks All!

goldie

hi kylie,

you can check out this website for more information on perth.

http://www.westernaustralia.net/

if i remember correctly, it is only abt an hour or two drive straight from margaret river.

as for rental of cars, think arrangements can be made to collect car from airport.

sweetiee

hi Kylie,

We were there abt 11 days I think...
happy.gif

Summer is ok for me... I can bear with the heat but the flies are really irritating!!!;P

Yup if you need to rent a car, normally rent it for 7 days then you can get a good package.
happy.gif

We din arrange for pick up of the car at the airport but we arranged to drop it off at the airport... meaning we just drove to the airport and left the car at the airport's carpark... easier so that we dun have to catch a taxi with our luggages from the hotel...
happy.gif

Margaret river is already abt 280 km from Perth city so it depends on how fast you drive... think we took more than 2 hours but less than 3.

Hi forgetmenot,

Erm, 5 days for just Perth city is more than enuf but if you're going out of the city is of course not enuf.
happy.gif

Hi Goldie,

We wanted to drive up to Augusta the last time but were running short of time... so too bad got to head back to the city...:< Just managed to catch the Cape Naturaliste lighthouse...

Hi doy,

We really din spend much that time... mainly just the car rental, accomodation and of course - FOOD!!!;P~~ Hmm, all in all we spent around $2.5K including the air tickets coz we got it at a promo price.
happy.gif

Ah!! All these western australia talks make me feel like going back there again!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

H

ham_wey

Hi Sweetie,

Wah, u spent 11 days there? cool! Do u mind giving me a run-down of ur itinery and places of accomodation at the various towns? Thx in adv. [email protected]

I plan to go Perth from the 1/10 to the 9/10 for my honeymoon. Thx to this thread, at least now i know where to rent cheap cars....but trying to plan for the places to go and stay, thus really appreciate all the help i can get coz its so hard, even from the net, library and bookshops to get info on perth. But anyway, really looking forward to my honeymoon man.

kylie

Hi Catz,

I did some research over the internet, but can't seems to find Criterion Hotel on the accomodation list.
How much was it per night?
my hubby &amp; i are gonna drive from one location to another, we only need one night or two at diff. lodgings. Have you come across any other acc. that is good?

sweetiee

hi Ham_Wey &amp; Kylie,

Ham_Wey, hee... actually I dun have a proper itinerity...;P My friend did a rough one for us but we din follow throughout. I may need to go home and look at the pics and recall. Hee... will try to get back to you ok?
wink.gif

Kylie, I found Criterion Hotel website: http://www.criterion-hotel-perth.com.au/
happy.gif

If you're looking at budget accomodation, you can try City Water Lodge... We stayed there on the last nite... before coming back to S'pore. Service apartment style... Just for Zzzzz and since we had to rush for an early flight the next morning so it was quite ok for us.:p

http://www.citywaters.com.au/

Hope this helps.
happy.gif

catz

Hi kylie..

yeah.. Sweetiee beat me to it.
happy.gif
Actually, there's a reservations office in Singapore and they will forward you your vouchers (for airport pick-up) pretty fast, usually within 3 days, along with brochures of Perth. I think I paid only $80 per night but that was off peak, incl of brekkie etc... Guess you would stay there when you're roaming around Perth city and doing shopping at the High Street.

kylie

Thanks, Sweetiee. Your help is very much appreciated. Did you stay at a specific hotel &amp; then drive around Perth or you juz "pop" into lodgings on your way?

Catz, i went into the website &amp; wow, it costs $179 for twin-sharing!!!!!!!!their promotion is $90 but applies til oct'02 i think. Maybe i shall wait &amp; see if there's promotion again in may...or should i email them to enquire whether it's applicable for may'03 next yr?

sweetiee

hi kylie...
happy.gif

You're welcome... we only booked the hotel for 1st 2 nites in the city and when we got to perth we picked up the accomodation listing from the tourist vistor center and make booking along the way... kinda fun.
happy.gif
Generally it shouldn't be a problem... but there was a nite we risk sleeping in the car... finally found a miserable place with no attached bathroom! Can you imagine!! Ha ha... So funny. But we count ourselves fortunate coz it was the last room available there and there was one other guy who came in after us and too bad for him!;P

kylie

Sweetiee,

Wow, bet you were real scared then. If really cannot find, how? So you checked into a hotel once you reach Perth? that might be a good idea as can then rest for a while b4 travelling on the road!!!!!!!! Think it sounds fun for u &amp; i hope it'll be fun for me too. really looking forward to the road trip now.

sweetiee

hi kylie,

Ha, we were panicking a little but guess it was ok... although that hostel was really miserable... Anyway, shouldn't complain since we chose to do a F &amp; E thingy like this huh?
wink.gif
Hee. Yup I guess just enjoy yourself and it'll be fun. Me and hubby did argue a bit coz you know we girls are not good at reading maps so my hubby nagged at me. And when I drove, he nagged too.
lame.gif
I almost freaked out and asked him to do both... ha ha, so funny now that I recall. I guess ultimately just remember that you're there to enjoy yourself and relax... dun rush and esp when things dun turned out as planned, stay calm and laugh over it...
happy.gif

H

ham_wey

HI Sweetiee,

No probs
happy.gif
thx in adv. BTW, my sis also told me can go tp Australia Tourist Commission located at United Sq, Novena, 20 smthg floor, think they shld have quite a lot of info too.

Cheers

catz

Hi Kylie,

Cannot remember whether Bayswater was near Hay St leh.. sorry.. will try to check for you.
happy.gif

kylie

Thanks Catz. Hope i'm not bothering you so much!hehe.....

Sweetiee,
I am very poor in map reading.oops, dun know how, think sure to quarrel liao. Since i can't drive also, my hubby will have no choice but study the maps properly b4 we go for the trip.........so that dun need to drive &amp; read map at the same time.

sweetiee

hi kylie,

Hee, like I mentioned earlier, just relax and keep cool at all times.
happy.gif
Oh I think Bayswater at Perth is at Adelaide Terrace... it is actually a little "wulu"...;P but it's not that far from Hay St... just gotta catch a CAT service to get there. A few stops away.
happy.gif

catz

Hi kylie and Sweetiee,

Yeah, most of the car rental places are at Adelaide Tce so shouldn't be too bad. Just catch the bus.
happy.gif

kelsey

Hi Kylie,

I stayed in a really romantic and geogeous bed and breakfast place while driving up to Margaret River region. It's in a place called Bridgetown. The bed and breakfast is called Windy Hollows (tel no. 08-97612523).

Actually stayed in a house that is on a tree! There is a lovely balcony that you can have your breakfast and it overlooks the pond and farm.There is even a little old fashioned pot-belly fireplace if you're scared of the cold.

Very very romantic! Can't remember how much I paid but I think it was in the region of $90-$100. Well worth the price!

sweetiee

hi kelsey,

I know where Bridetown is! It looked rather nice and cosy to me.
happy.gif
But too bad it din have any vacancy then. We stayed at Edge of the Florest... a very cosy and nice B&amp;B too...
happy.gif
happy.gif

kylie

Hi Kelsey,

Well, the place that you describe sounds really nice.....but what you guys suggest? me booked into Criterion Hotel for 1 night, take the rented car as soon as i arrive in Perth then proceed up to Margaret River &amp; stay for 1 night also &amp; then.......look for lodgings along the way? any more good suggestions? Maybe i should do it this way: book diff. hotels/lodgings for the whole week I'm in perth b4 hand and then juz drive up...so there will not any chance of not having any lodgings.....haha...though it doesn't sound so exciting lah....everything has been planned liao........what you guys think?

sweetiee

hi kylie,

No lah... it's still exciting and fun that way mah... coz you dunno what to anticipate as well. Although I was making calls from my mobile to book accomodation while my hubby was driving... but it's true that you risk checking into places you may not like at all lor...;P

But I personally find one nite in MR maybe not enuf... perhaps 2 nites at least... there are a lot of places you can explore there...
happy.gif

kylie

Aiyah,
I try to search for Windy hollows over the internet but all i could find is their address but not their website! is it very "wulu" one?
Sweetiee,
When do you think i should start booking airtickets &amp; accomodations? How much did you pay for tickets to go Perth that time? any travel angency to recommend? me very blur, dun know when to start planning. I also worried that "ska di" my desired lodgings are fully booked? you think it's wise to book early? but how early???? dun want to be"kiasu" also.........

sweetiee

hi kylie,

I booked it quite last minute that time and managed to get a promo priced ticket... for Quantas and inclusive of airport tax and stuff it's just around $500. Hmm... maybe you can come to my place one day and I show you all the pics and give you an overall idea... and give you a free 'consultation' on how to go abt planning... or give you an idea of the itinery too... since you still have quite some time away. hee hee...
happy.gif

kelsey

Hi Kylie,

Totally agree with Sweetiee that 1 night in MR is not enough. You need at least 2 nights. MR is really beautiful and there is lots to see.

Windy Hollows is run by an old couple so I don't think they have a website. If you want the tree-house, it is normally quite booked in advance as there is only 1 tree house. Would advise that you call them to book it.

Another nice place is Caves House near Yallingup. Recommended in Lonely Planet as very romantic. I was there and they have a beautiful english garden. Here's the website.

http://www.caveshouse.com.au/

If you intend to just book your hotels when you get there, suggest you pop by the tourism information office (it's opposite the train station in town.....can't remember the road name). That's where I found Windy Hollows. The people there will suggest places and do the bookings for you. Save you tons of trouble.

Still think that Sept/Oct is the best time to go. I was there in Oct and the wildflowers were amazing. The weather is perfect too. Not too hot and not too cold.

kylie

Hi Sweetiee,

Perhaps I could meet you in town one day to discuss plans for my honeymoon hah? you like quite expert. Kelsey, what you think, wanna join too or anybody else? Sweetiee, you're so lucky to get the ticket at that px......hope i'll be lucky too. think may should not be peak season to go perth right? should be able to lah hor?

Kelsey,
too bad that i'm going in may coz winter will be soon, but no choice as wedding that mth. think i'll also pop by novena sq. one of these days since they say that's where the "Australian Commission" is.....

sweetiee

hi kelsey and kylie,

Kelsey, I heard abt Caves House too... in fact passed by that place. But talk abt yallinup! The accomodation there were all fully booked at that time when we were there. Many ppl were doing water sports there. Did you visit Smith Beach?! It's so beautiful!
happy.gif

Hi Kylie,

No lah... me not expert...
blush.gif
Just feeling excited coz I've been there mah...
happy.gif

I definitely dun mind meeting you and provide you with more info.
happy.gif
The thing is it will be quite troublesome for me to bring the big album out. Unless my hubby can ferry me...
happy.gif
No worries, since you still have some time, we can always fix up something... anyway, I'm also preparing the rough itinerary for Ham Wey... so I'll email you a copy later too...
happy.gif