Perth F&E

stellarm

Hi Dreamer, can share share your trip info wif me too?? Am thinking of doing a F&E trip to Perth sometime in March too
happy.gif

Thanks a lot!! My email is [email protected]

starmed

hi stella
i'm also going to Perth in march... still waiting for my hubby's leave to be approved..
happy.gif
well going F&E too.. we'll be drving down south..to Albany. How long u going there? Just for your info...6 march is a public holiday in Perth...
happy.gif
u booked oyur tics n accom?

U booked your car? we'll booking our car wif Bayswater...so much cheaper than Hertz... one day A$25 (unlimited KM) keke.. we have been booking their car for our last few trips to Perth..rather new car somemore...
happy.gif
only thing is need to call their office to book..no internet booking.. they have a website www.bayswatercarrental.com.au

can check them out...
happy.gif

bubble_low

Hi starstar,

I'm also planning to go perth in late mar/apr.(pending leave approval) How do u book with bayswater ? (call them in spore or book when u reach perth ?) Does Baywater provide driving maps to southwest ? Does A$25 include tax and excess damage reduce to $200 ?

Any idea how's the weather like in Mar/apr ?

How abt accomodations ? any recommendation ?
Sorry got lot of qns.
Thks.

sakurasan

Hi Low

I went to Perth in Nov last year and rented a car from Baywater. What you can do is to call them from Singapore and make a booking first and when you reach Perth, you can just go and pick up the car. They do not provide any driving maps to the southwest - I bought my own from the bookshops in Perth city. Perhaps you can check at the airport and see if any free driving maps are available. Are you going to drive to Margaret River? If so, I highly recommend you consider Waterfall Cottages www.waterfallcottages.com.au - the grounds are beautiful!
happy.gif
We stayed in a studio cottage..the grounds are like a picture from the English countryside with a lake and a small waterfall nearby. Very peaceful and quiet - almost secluded! I also recommend the smallish restaurant called VAT 107 in Margaret River town for breakfast..they do a very mean muffin. If you're going to Bunbury, I recommend the Lighthouse www.lighthousehotel.com.au/ and ask for a room that overlooks the sea. It's a motel-like place and you'll be allocated a parking lot right outside your room.

bubble_low

Hi Sakurasan,

Thks for info.

What's the cost of accomodation at waterfall cottage and lighthouse ? Any breakfast included ?
Thks.

sakurasan

Hi Low

I can't remember exactly but Waterfall Cottage is around AUD$110 and Lighthouse is slightly cheaper. They do not come with breakfast - which is something that we're happy with coz we prefer to choose what we want to eat everyday.

starmed

Hi low
for accom in Perth..can try Criterion Hotel...located right next to Hay street - the shopping haven in Perth. within 5 mins walk..
happy.gif

Haven been to Maraget River before..so can't help u on that.. bunbury wise..beside lighthouse..u can stay in Fawlty Tower. Also a motel like place but it's run by a local family... converted a sea facing two storey building to a motel. Parking is just at the door... the last time I stayed is a big room that can accomodate six pax n cost me only A$110 nett. breakfast is provided. no website available cos it's run by an old couple.
happy.gif
the beach is just across the road...
happy.gif
they have smaller rooms... the one I stayed the last time was meant for six cos the other small rooms are fully occupied.
happy.gif

try this website.. must really search for the pics..
happy.gif
just description only...
happy.gif

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-396633-fawlty_towers-i;_ylt=Asm2nCZIxl4psvaN7crk8ZDlns0A

stellarm

hi starstar,

sorry for the late reply, have been bz..so not been logging in to the forum.
happy.gif

i'm not confirmed yet if going to Perth in march... i have to see if we can make it back to spore (currently not in spore). by the way, is march a peak season for Perth?

oh..6 march is a public holiday in Perth? i didn't know that! thanks for telling me. does that mean that most tourist places will be closed on that day?

i've actually not done any bookings yet as its juz a thought of going there for a short trip. but i think i can get it done within 2 wks. the last time i planned our melbourne trip, i did everything in less then 2wks, made all the bookings online and via emails.

i've more or less picked out the places we're interested to visit already. when are you going? i'm thinking about 5 days, enuff or not ah? or too rush?

starmed

hi stella
it's ok no prob..
happy.gif
wow..u now overseas for work or leisure?

March dun think it's peak for Perth but there's a one week school holidays for the kids in singapore (11march starts) that period I presume slightly ex in the air tics...

6 march is a public holiday..regarding the places of interest... not very sure if they do open but definitely the car rental company I wanted to book my car from is closed for the day..
sad.gif

same here.. we'ave more or less planned our trip liao.. just waiting for my hubby's leave to be approved then can get things started. we plan to leave on 7 march coming back on 14 march.. stay abt a week there...
happy.gif
it'll depnds on where u'll be going... for us, we'll be driving down south to albany..
happy.gif
u?

bubble_low

Hi starstar and stella,

Hv u booked ur car rental ? Normally, how early need to call bayswater ?

I'm planning to go in end Mar. Anyone know how's the weather like ?

Thks.

starmed

Low
end march is cooling..
happy.gif
good to pack a sweater or jacket/wind breaker along...
happy.gif
I haven call them yet..thinking of doing it next week...cos hubby's leave haven approve yet..
happy.gif
For my past few trips, we call them after we booked our air tics..
happy.gif

bubble_low

Hi starstar,

Do we need to provide credit card when we make resv. with Bayswater ? I hope the car boot got space to put 2 29" luggages and 1 small bag. I saw that bayswater got 2 types of car. Normally, u book the hatch car or the bigger car ?

nesame

Hello,
Its good to come to the holiday thread. Shows that we are preparing for our holidays.

I am going to Perth in May. Can anyone recommend any interesting places in North? I went to Perth once and had visited the south i.e, Margaret & Albany. So this time, may want to skip South but not very sure about North except Monkey Mia which I think is too far drive for my 9days trip. I plan to go Pinnacles and Swan Valley(miss it the other round) for day trip. Can Pinnacles be self drive or a must to take the 4WD day tour? What is interesting in Swan Valley?

Actually I miss the Kings Park the last round as well cos' i thought it is just a normal Park. Is that so or is there something special? How about Rottnest Island?

starmed

hi Low
I can't rem if we need credit card to book but I rem I used cash to pay for the car... sorry..:p for me, the last time i went I booked a hatch back... basically if the boot space not enough, we dump our remaining bags in the back seat...:p

san
king's park is a big park...
happy.gif
wif great view of the north south highway... n the city buildings... u can capture really lovely pics on the peak of the hill. If u go again, do give it a shot.
happy.gif

Swan valley is a place where u find all the wineries.
happy.gif
If u appreciate wines, it's a good place to hang out...go wine tasting...winery hop around... also there's this maraget river chocolate factory too. It's a branch of the main maraget river factory. If u drive along the main highway, further up the road from the factory, it's a cool ice cream shop. purely hand made ice cream of all kinds of flavours...
happy.gif

Up north of Perth, besides Monkey Mia, u can drive all the way up to Kalbarri. If u like nature, there's a great nature park wif beautiful gorges... go during the winter, u can see the wonders of nature. Works that's created by forces of nature... the gorges, the cliffs etc.. totally awesome. There this piece of big boulder which is eroded in the center only and it sorts of 'frame' up the whole Muchison River..it's called nature's window.
happy.gif

starmed

hi Low
I can't rem if we need credit card to book but I rem I used cash to pay for the car... sorry..:p for me, the last time i went I booked a hatch back... basically if the boot space not enough, we dump our remaining bags in the back seat...:p

san
king's park is a big park...
happy.gif
wif great view of the north south highway... n the city buildings... u can capture really lovely pics on the peak of the hill. If u go again, do give it a shot.
happy.gif

Swan valley is a place where u find all the wineries.
happy.gif
If u appreciate wines, it's a good place to hang out...go wine tasting...winery hop around... also there's this maraget river chocolate factory too. It's a branch of the main maraget river factory. If u drive along the main highway, further up the road from the factory, it's a cool ice cream shop. purely hand made ice cream of all kinds of flavours...
happy.gif

Up north of Perth, besides Monkey Mia, u can drive all the way up to Kalbarri. If u like nature, there's a great nature park wif beautiful gorges... go during the winter, u can see the wonders of nature. Works that's created by forces of nature... the gorges, the cliffs etc.. totally awesome. There this piece of big boulder which is eroded in the center only and it sorts of 'frame' up the whole Muchison River..it's called nature's window.
happy.gif

stellarm

hi starstar, me now overseas coz we reallocated for a few yrs due to my hubbys job.
happy.gif

i tink we shd be going south for our trip since it will be a short one. tink venturing north may need more days if not too rush liao.

stellarm

hi Low, me not book my car rental yet, in fact..not booked anything yet as my trip is not confirmed at the moment.
happy.gif

yup, tink for car rentals u need to give a credit card no. its for insurance purposes i believe, if not later the customer road run with the car how? keke.. hmm.. or maybe they may ask u to put cash deposit if u dun wish to use CC.

think end march is spring is it? i shd probably be going end march too, that is..if i'm going at all. hehe

starmed

stella
it's autumn... in June n july is winter...
happy.gif
end of the year is summer for Australia...
happy.gif
just booked my air tics...yippeee...
happy.gif

starmed

hi Low n stella
just booked my car from bayswater today... no credit card details needed..think they work on trust basis..
happy.gif
took down the name that's all n the days u needed the car n of course, the model of car n the cost in all...
happy.gif
settled my stuffs for the trip already. All booked n raring to go...
happy.gif

nesame

Hi Star,
Thanks for yr advise. I went into Bayswater web. They had only featured 2 cars. Does that mean they do not have any other models?

bubble_low

Hi starstar,

When u're going to perth ? Did u book SIA or Qantas ? I wonder whether the airline can do free visa for us ?

Hv u booked accomodation ? If yes, where u book ? Thks.

nesame

Hi Low,
I had booked my Perth ticket by QF during the last 2wks offer @ $348. I check with QF and they charged $20/passport which I think is expensive. For the past years when I go Australia and most we book by SQ web, we look for pte travel agents to do VISA for us and they only charge us $10 per passport.

For SQ, I remember they do not do FOC as well. There is 1 year when we go Melbourne, I had personally bring down passports to Australia Embassy to do our visa as we had 10 parties travelling (in order to save $100), but the Embassy did not actually do the VISA for us. We only knew it till we depart at the airport and was in a shock! Luckily SQ got a customer service counter at airport and they can do on the spot at $20 per passport as well. Waste my 2 way trip down to embassy (1way submit and next day to collect) and in the end, pay more than outside agents for visa applications.

starmed

Hi san
For Bayswater, certain outlets have a few more models... not sure which outlet have what models...for me, we usu take the toyota corolla sedan... auto n 1 year old... it rather clean n well maintained... looks pretty new too..so for the new cars, think it's even newer looking..
happy.gif

hi Low
me going on 7 march we'll taking the 0130 hrs SQ flight out of singapore... reach perth ard 0650hrs. after which, we'll take a cab striaght to the car rental outlet in perth city to get our car n drive down south to Bunbury. That's the first day..
happy.gif
For visas, there's no FOC thing lah...usu need to pay a fee... like what san had said.. the customer service at the airport got do visas for ya n maybe u can look for pte travel agents to do for ya..
happy.gif

Accomodation wise, I've booked them thru the net. Booked my accom in Margaret river n Denmark thru asiaroom.com I've checked thru most of the sites..found them to be cheaper than even booking direct from the hotel itself..
happy.gif
But u must look around first, compare the hotel's website rate to theirs and a few others before booking. For Perth, I found out that the hotel we are staying offers better rate than asiarooms... so for Perth one, we booked direct wif hotel. Bunbury one, I made a call to the front desk n booked.
happy.gif

starmed

Hi Low
sure..no prob.. for bunbury, we'll stay at Fawlty Tower. At margaret river, we'll stay at Quay West Resort Bunker Bay Hotel. For Denmark, we'll stay at Karri Mia Resort. Perth wise, it's Criterion Hotel. Have u decided on where to stay?

nesame

Hi Star,
Since you be going early March, can you help me to get some guides of Perth at airport including Maps, accomodation and etc? If its convenient for you. Don't worry if its too troublesome. I can meet you somewhere to collect from you when you return.

bubble_low

Hi Star,

Thks for sharing.

wow, saw karri mia resort is so ex. (more than A$150). Dun hv so much budget to splurge lei.

My budget is around A$100 per nite. I plan to stay :
Busselton (1 nite), MR (2 nites - waterfall cottage / MR stone cottage), Pemberton (1 nite - lavender berry farm/blueloft), Denmark/Wapole (1 nite), Albany (2 nites), Perth city (3nites - new esplanade/goodearth). Still looking out for accomodations now.

For perth hotel, i plan to book with Discoverywest as they provide free transfer from airport.

btw, what are the attractions in Bunbury ? For 1st day, i plan to drive from Perth->Mandurah-> Burbury - > Donnybrook -> Balingup - Bridgestone ->Busselton. Do u think it's very rush ? We plan to reach Busselton in the evening and the nx morning, we will visit Jetty. Pls note that Jetty train will not be in svc for nx 18 mths (i hv chk with them via email).

starmed

hi san
sure..I'll take some for ya..
happy.gif

Hi low
I book thru asiarooms n cost A$150 per nite.. I know the Discoverywest is more ex...:p anyway asiarooms just got back to me on Karri Mia resort.. it's fully booked for the period... now I'm trying to go for the Walpole tree top walk motel...
happy.gif
only 7 min drive to the tree topwalk n the valley of giants..
happy.gif

For perth, why not try for King's or Criterion? suits your budget..
happy.gif
for criterion, I took their 3 mite's special n cost A$80/nite.
happy.gif
also the hotels are located really close to Hay street n the city area... only 5mins walk to the malls..
happy.gif

In bunbury, there's a dolphin center... u can go n visit n sign up for a swim wif the wild dolphins out in the sea.. or a boat ride out to the sea to see wild dolphins...
happy.gif
went once on the boat ride...saw a whole school of dolphins at the bay area.. awesome..
happy.gif

But if u dun plan to stay in Bunbury, think the rides/swim is out for ya unless u meet the schedules...
happy.gif
u'll reach busselton ard evening... cos it took me less than half a day to reach bunbury..
happy.gif
but busselton to bunbury actually quite close... if u skip the rest of the towns..
happy.gif

thanks for the info on the jetty train..it's ok.. the last time I went I walk the whole stretch of jetty...:p think I covered more than 4km with the to n fro from end of jetty..
happy.gif
it's a nice place to stroll..
happy.gif

nesame

Hi Star,
Thanks in advance! So I will arrange a meet up with you when you return. I went to United Sq to pick up the brochures but it is not that 'wide'.

Btw, What's in Mandurah? I remember I pass by this town when way back to Perth fr Margaret. Seems like a nice beach resort area. How about Harvey?

nesame

Hi Star,
If I am not driving to Fremantle, I understand we can take ferry or train from Perth. Do you know about this and give me a guide?

starmed

Hi san
keke.. Mandurah not sure what they have there cos I alsways drive by the the town but somehow too focus on my destination...so everytime give it a miss...:p maybe this time round I'll drop by n see see then let ya know?;p

Well, din know can take ferry or train to fremantle... I'll check it out when there..
happy.gif

nesame

Thanks starstar! If fremantle is accessible by ferry or train in Perth city, then I can avoid 1 day car rental since there is free CAT bus in Fremantle as well. Think it is rather special to take ferry there. The ferry seems will cruise along Swan River to Fremantle.

nesame

starstar,
My trip is in May so still abit long way. but cos' I travel wz family, total 9 and am the only 1 doing the planning, so must start source source now. Btw, anything interesting in Dunsborough?

Someone told me that the period I am going May/June is a rainy season. Boy, hopefully it is not true.

starmed

Hi san
may/june period they'll have more rain cos it's in the autumn going into winter period. But no worries..u'll have sunshine too..though weather can get rather cold at nite esp.

nesame

Hi star,
Cold is alright with me but not rain. We luv cold weather. Hopefully there will be more sunshine than rain during my visits.

Your trip is very near, so do let me know when you return and I shall pick up the brochures from you. TQ!

j_camomile

Hi,

Anyone knows which is the Fish & Chips Restaurant in Fremantle where Ivy Lee & her daughter visited in the Travel Programme on Channel 8 last year or year before? Iszit Cicerellos or Kailis?? It seems to be located on the fishing harbour & has this very long jetty where u can walk out & view the ocean, very pretty.

cherly

Hi gals,

I will be going to Perth with my family (hb & 2yrs old daughter) in april for 8 days. We will be doing F&E, can someone suggest me with the itinerary? 2 nites in perth city enuf?

kpo

hi camomile,

is it this place?

frankly, kailis' fish & chips are not great and kinda overpriced! but i must say it's a nice place 'cos restaurant (both indoor/alfresco) overlooks the harbour.

351677.jpg

j_camomile

Hi KPO,

Tks a lot for sharing! I also can't confirm but the jetty I saw on the programme seems much longer & further out to the sea & the views are really spectacular. Really have no idea if it's Cicerellos or Kailis or some other restaurant. Anyway, appreciate ur feedback on Kailis. U been to Cicerellos btw? Any comments?
happy.gif

starmed

hi camomile
I dun know if it's correct... cos the jetty that's so far out in the sea is in Bussselton. there's a restaurant at near the busselton jetty(it's abt 2km long)... they sells fish n chips n other stuffs.. didn't go there to eat but went there for a coffee.. :p can't rem the name of the place but if u want, I can check it out for u next week... ;p cos flying there on monday.
happy.gif

kpo

http://www.kailis.com/

i didn't check out cicerellos..i went to kailis 'cos they claim to be 'voted the best fish & chips' but was a tad disappointed..have definitely eaten much better ones elsewhere in australia.

i believe there are numerous F&C places around the fishing boat harbour i.e. SAILS, Joe's Fish Shack etc..so you can just take a slow stroll and check out the various restaurants to see what's available and what looks good to you.