Perth F&E

cookies

hi,
i've booked tickets to go Perth 30/12 for 10 days.
any advise on places to visit, budget accomodation, food and shopping?
thanks in advance.

mngo

wow cookies, 10 days is a long time! u can travel to another places out of perth.
u can visit the famous fremantle, kings park, swan river, pinnalces, wave rock. u can also go rottness island.

makiyo

Hi cookies,

In addition to those mngo has suggested, u can try tree top walk, climbing the tallest tree, skydiving, sandboarding, margaret river, etc...btw dun forget to go to the famous beach...but u need to rent a car...

Train transfers are free...so u may consider this option if u r going fremantle...if u have a australian varsity student card, bring along for subsidised bus fare...

There are lots of apartments (incl. washer, dryer, bath tub & kitchenette) for short stay in perth...

I think japanese food (yakitori lunch box & etc.) is one of the cheapest besides fast food...skip the chinese food in foodcourts...

Pls note that the shopping malls close at 5 or 6pm daily except Thur or Fri...

cookies

hi mngo n makiyo,

thanks for the suggestions.

* makiyo, which famous beach u refering to? also, where are the places to climb tree and sandboard?

makiyo

Hi cookies,

Cottesloe Beach is the famous one...Swanbourne Beach is popular with nudists...

Sandboarding at Kalbarri Superbowl, a 280+ foot high sand crater or Lancelin huge sand dunes...

Drive to Pemberton and stop by at the Gloucester Tree - at 61 metres, it's the world's tallest fire lookout...

Valley of the Giants: Take a bird’s eye view of the forest from the Tree Top Walk, a bridge ascending 40 metres through the forest canopy...

makiyo

Hi cookies,

From Orchid's posting posted on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 5:29 pm
http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/messages/4/5665.html?1101869725#POST919863:

My husband & I did a 10 day thing in Perth in November. We drove from Perth up north to Kalbarri (really nice seaside town with majestic gorges), then Monkey Mia (where the dolphins come to shore every morning), stayed 2 nights each. Then drove back down to Geraldton for 1 night, and finally back to Perth where we visited the Pinacles & the National Park along the way. It was a really good trip, we enjoyed all the stops along the way, especially the little towns where we stopped for lunch, break, peaches... really beautiful country.

We stayed at YHAs all the way (YHA = Youth Hostel Association). It's the best way to travel in Australia. You get all the amenities at a fraction of the price, and they have lovely double rooms with attached bathrooms. Even if you don't stay at YHA, you can get the YHA membership card -- gets you lots of discounts all over australia (including car rental).

Some advice if you're intending to drive in Perth,
- better to have 2 drivers so that you can take turns. can be quite tiring.
- look for a petrol station when it gets to 1/4 tank cos you don't know when's the next petrol station.
- try not to drive early morning (fog) and late evening (animals)
- they have this thing called the "road train" like containers but almost 50m long, like train. don't even dream of overtaking them. heh...

bamboobride

gals, u must go pinnacles n take pictures!! its very beautiful n your pictures will turn out very nice. i was there in oct to take my photoshoot. i put my gowns in the boot when we drove out of perth city after my photoshoot. so when we see a nice spot, i will change to my evening gown n took some pictures. really miss the those days. : )

elinwokk

it is beautiful isnt it cin ;)
happy.gif
anyway in case dont see ya ard - merry christmas
happy.gif

touraco

hi cin
yah....the photos taken at pinnacles turn out real nice when i was there for hols 2 years back

would really love to go there again.

hi cookies,
i was there 2 years back for about 10 days too. we drove to fremantle,a one night stopover at busselton and 2 nights stopover at margaret river.

at busselton, we stayed in a quaint little inn that is very quiet and nice.

at margaret river,we stayed at the margaret river resort and we will drive down to the town to buy groceries and cook.

cookies

hi,
any1 can share yr experience on visiting perth in summer.. is there really alot of flies going around??? what are MUST bring during this period? i'm going end of the mth.

makiyo

Hi cookies,

When I went Perth the last summer, there were no flies...Remember to bring sunblock, moisturiser, lip balm, cap & sunglasses...

makiyo

Hi shane,

I went in Jan b4 Australia National Day so I missed their fireworks...it's windy but dun stay in de sun for more than 20 mins...I got sunburnt...the climate is very dry...my skin was dry within 5 days...

cherly

Hi,

Where should i stay in Perth? I am bring my gal who is 1 year old, is apartment cheap there? Any good one to recommend?

Makiyo,

How can i apply YHA's card?

starmed

Cherly
hi I've been to Perth a few times n stayed at this apartment called Mountsway Apartment... can

got kitchen facilties n laundry... cheap... if u stay for 6 nitesthink u pay only A$59... per nite...

starmed

West life
the apartemnt is in the city itself..not farm stay lah... it's abt five minutes drive to murray street...very near the shopping mall... u can take a stroll there if u want..abt fifteen minutes walk... swan river is near to... abt ten min walk... king's park is jus less than five min drive away... the apartment is cosy but dun expect those posh kind lah... simple n nice... everytime I go perth I stay there one... it's convenient.... the Woolsworth supermarket at Murray street so near... so I jus buy the groceries n cook there... utensils everything provided....
happy.gif

tine177

Hi all,

We have booked for a 4D3N trip in Perth from NATAS Travel fair, will be leaving on 30/3. Is it easy to drive around in Perth? Is the parking expensive? Easy to find parking?

We self drive in NZ last year. The parking rates in certain city like Wellington is very expensive half hr 3NZ.

Hi Starstar,

Are u the same starstar from Santiago thread?

babu

tine177,
it very easy to drive in OZ, so no worries.. parking lots plenty, but chock a block during weekends to the beach.. shopping central no prob, cos not opening on weekends.. kekeke..

anyway, some parking are free so depends where u go, if not is quite ex..

me going again this mth end.. enjoy ur trip!

lizziebeh

Parking & driving in Perth is alright but just to remind you to be careful. Dont leave valuables like exp sunglasses in the car.. apparently there's a lot of car theft wor. Esp out country. You will see alot of signs that says beware of car theft.

You wont want people to steal your car when you are in out country. Stranded.

Margaret river is a must go place. The treetop walk too.

I think there's this website that's call needitnow.com or something. You can book your accomodation at the very last minute and you get super cheap price... Very reliable.. we booked all our accomodation there... both my Perth & Melb trip.

THEN.. Book your car online.. From past experience.. it is cheaper. Then can choose what range of car you want. We booked Camry but bcos they run out.. they gave us Falcon at no extra cost. If you go there and book.. you will have to pay full for Falcon if all the smaller cars are all taken up.

tine177

Hi Liz Beh,

Hertz is offering us A$45 per day for Nissan Pulsar. Is the rate ok?

Hi Babu,
I going Perth this monthend. U also going Perth?

happy.gif

babu

tine177,
ya lor.. hb works there and hb bro got a new house, so going to help out, they PR there for many year, getting their citizen pretty soon.. me applying the PR soon.

It a good place for relaxing but not a good place to shop, Perth is quite boring compare to Melbourne, sydney and brisbane, but if u are just going for 4 days still not so bad..but must check out the vine yard!! very nice.. cos i love to drink wine..kekeke..

tine177

Hi babu,

We don't intend to do much shopping over there. We plan to relax, take a short break and enjoy the scenery. Planning to go to King's Park, Pinnacles, Wave rock, Rottnest Island and maybe Perth Zoo.

happy.gif

bamboobride

hi tine177,

u can forget abt going to the perth's zoo. dun waste time there. our zoo is better n more animals to see. pinnacles is great! try reaching there around 6 (around sunset). the reflection from the sand is beautiful.

rottnest island to me is quite a waste of time too. this is an island where the perth secondary school kids will go for camping during sch holidays. wave rock is nice but damn far. r u guys driving? cos if u r going to places which r very far from the city n needs a couple of hours of drive, i will recommend u to take a day tour. there is one very popular day tour aussie agent at hay street which does day tour everyday. its not that ex depending where u want to go. but for pinnacles, its possible to drive there.

lizzie

Hi Tine..

$45 for Pulsar is normal. But sometimes there may be limited KM. Better to get those with unlimited if you are driving out country. Another thing.. people in Perth drive pretty slow..

Another tip.. Shops only open after 12pm on Sundays.. Better keep your shopping on other days.

kel3vin

Hi,

We are going to perth too... early next month.

Is it true that we need a 4WD to go to the pinnacles? Also, someone told me the wave rock is really too far a drive and is not worth the effort. True?

Hey, can someone tell me if we can use our HP over there? Cos I was reading a website on the Waverock and the site said that only CDMA phones.. GSM cannot?!! Really?

The weather there now is pretty hot... high of 37C!!! Gosh...

bamboobride

hi ent,

u dun need a 4wd to pinnacles. we drove in our steady 1.6l toyota corolla. no problem.

basically u just drive your car into the pinnacles area n follow trail. on the way, u can stop your car aside n walk around.

tine177

Hi cin,

My hotel is in Hay street. We will be returning our car early at 9pm on our last day in Perth, may be walking around near our hotel area? Is there any places of interest or beautiful building worth visiting? Shopping Area?

Will take your advice not to go Perth Zoo. We will definitely be going to Pinnacles & Wave rock. Will decide on other places to visit when we are there cos there should be many brochures and information counters for tourists. Similar to NZ. Tourist oriented country.

bamboobride

hay street is a basically a shopping area. its a long stretch of road. u have the local aussie brands n also other brands like sportsgals, ninewest, jeans west, kookai.

go frementle for the weekend markets n seafood. its a must go.

also at hay street, there is a famous day tour agent. it has alot of packaged day trip out of perth city like pinnacles, waverocks,etc. if u r not confident in driving, take up this day tours. they r cheap, abt 80 onwards.so i suggest the 1st day u reach perth, go to this agent n book your trip first.

orchid

Hi tine,

shopping is limited in perth at night. actually shops close at 5 - 6pm, except on thurs where they open until 9pm (shopping day).

if you have the time, drive to margaret river. lots to see along the way.

here's a tip! at Cervantes (the town where Pinnacles is at), there's this local fish & chip shop that sells fresh lobsters! u can have a whole lobster at $20. not sure if they've increased their price. there's also a wild flower factory/shop near pinnacles. just look out for signs along the way.

if you haven't booked accommodation, go to this website: www.discoverwest.com.au. they are a travel warehouse. really good deals on accommodation, some comes with free airport pick-up service.

orchid

Hi all,

my husband & i recently went to western australia again, this time brought my in-laws along. we spent abt 9 days, visiting the southwest.

did a self-drive from perth - albany - margaret river and back. stopped couple of days here and there with farm stay. definitely recommended! we stayed at apartments the whole way. i booked all the accommodations through the internet. best place is to go straight for the visitor's centre website. pretty comprehensive.

for farm stays, you can go to www.farmstaywa.com.

also, we definitely encourage people to book accommodation before arriving. there was a singapore couple i met at albany visitor's centre who didn't book before hand and everywhere was full. the visitor's centre staff were very helpful and were trying their best to get them into a room. the couple were pretty stressed out. i didn't stay long enough to find out if they had managed to get a place to stay. i hope they did though...

nancytie

dear orchid and all,

can you tell me the farm stay which u stayed with in the southwest? have u been to the northwest of wa? my husband and i are planing to visit wa in may for 6-9 days? i am 4 months pregnant. we planned to selfdrive and he will be doing all the driving. how do u think we should go about with our travel plan? tq very much.

orchid

hi nancy,

i've been to both north & south.

if you have only 6-9 days, would be preferable if you drove south rather than north. the attractions in the north are farther apart than in south. since you're pregnant, don't think you want to sit in the car for too long as well.

u can spend say abt 2-3 nights in the city & also see fremantle. instead of driving, u can take a swan river cruise from perth city to fremantle from Barrack Steet Jetty.

u can drive down to margaret river, spend a couple of days there - maybe another 2-3 nights. see all the sights around the area. check out the margaret river visitor's centre website: www.margaretriver.com. I stayed at Vintages Accommodation in margaret river town itself. came with breakfast - breakfast basket is delivered to your room the night before.

on the way up or down can drop by busselton (super long 2km jetty) and bunbury (dolphins!).

i stayed at Glenlynn Cottage at Bridgetown (found it from the farmstaywa.com website). It is a "country retreat" rather than a "farm" although they do have some animals, small winery and olive plantation. cottages come with a real fireplace. doesn't come with food though... we bought stuff to cook before arriving there.

bluedelight

Hi all, did a F&E Perth trip recently. Rented a car from the airport and drove all the way to Albany upon arrival (using the highway). Drove back to Perth via west along the coast and scenic towns. Places that we visited includes Natural Bridge and the Gap; Tree Top walk; numerous beautiful beaches; Jewel cave; winery; wild life park; home stay with many different fruit trees (Plum tree; Lemon tree; Orange; berries etc); Lighthouse; Elephant rocks etc. Driving is fun and easy. Just keep within the speed limit. Cheers!

bubble_low

Hi Dreamer,

How long is ur stay in perth ? For car rental, do u make arrangement in spore or when u reach perth ? which car rental co ?

Thks for sharing.

bluedelight

Hi bubble, I stayed for a week but managed to cover many places because of self drive.... easy to plan and change itinery as and when required. Rented a car in advance (good thing as many were turned away there due to the peak season). I used Hertz. Picked up and returned the car at the airport without fuss. Let me know if you need any further info yeah.

vinmei

Hi,

Me went to Perth(F&E) the year before. It was very fun. We self drive as well.
happy.gif

We rent the car in Spore. Normally they have promo through credit card and we just booked through that.
happy.gif

Hi Dreamer,
Albany is a nice place! We drove there as well.
happy.gif
Will go back there again for whale watching. hehee
happy.gif

bluedelight

Hi Tweety,
Yes, Albany is nice. Did u see the lemon tree and smell the flower when u were there? We did it when we stayed at this B&B place for just A$75. Good breakfast and also get to pluck the lemons plus oranges and plums for free. A truly refreshing experience. kekeke

bubble_low

Hi Dreamer,

Thks for the info.

If u still hv ur accomodation places, do share with me. Do u book via internet ? I hope to stay in B&B too . Thks.