Perth F&E

barbapapa

Harlow....

Hoi's kitchen is closed since Feb 2006. I went there last month. Seriously they are closed down for good. So go round the corner at the newspaper vendor for another dim sum. Quite sad that they closed for good.

snowbell42

oh. tht's sad news... where to find my fried ice cream if i ever go there again
sad.gif

nesame

Trixter,
The $13 map cover only Perth? The 1st time i went, someone borrow me the map and it never cover upto the south. Only half way. Even the directory provided by the car rental also half way only.

Star,
Yup, already noted down. Good Fortune Roast Duck. hehe. Actually, we ever have intention to rent a coupe for a day or 2 for fun. Can't afford to own 1 plus s'pore not ideal to drive with open top. Hot plus dusty. But, no time to squeeze out leh.

Camomile,
Me only 1 baby gal turning 1 year old this month. My production very low 1. haha.

For rental, we rented 2 car from M2000. My bro is getting a 2L Mit lancer and it cost $235 nett for 7 days. Insurance excess also the same as mine as it is the standard package offered by M2000. We are not reducing further as our travel insurance will cover $500 excess of car rental. For my child seat, since we getting 2 car, they give it foc to me. If not, it is chargeable at $20 for entire trip. However, there will be a charge for airport pick up or drop off. We are not picking up fr airport since we arrive almost 1am in Perth. Think it will be too tired for us to drive plus can't afford to 'lost' our way at that hours. Moreover, the house we rent is at Cottesloe not Perth city. But we will drop off car in airport when return.

Btw, Still pondering should we squeeze in Subiaco. Don't have much time. If it is worth to go, will try to squeeze in.

starmed

san
haha..same idea here... in singapore, not ideal place to drive a coupe leh..so hot n dusty... n too ex! not practical to drive a sports car...cos a sports car is meant to rev up the engine one..imagine u rev up till 100km/hr then stop again..so sianz right? :p over in aussie the countryside, good..
happy.gif
well maybe the next time we r there we'll do just that..;p

camomile n san
wow..u gals got little ones liao leh... talk abt low productivity... haha..think me then is the one... :p

nesame

star,
Think it will be real cool to drive that in such a nice weather.

Hey, faster open ceremony your factory and start production. Haha. You can join Cherly then.

j_camomile

San,

Actually Subiaco nothing much, frankly speaking. More for fine dining & high-end shopping. Unless u really hv extra time then can pop by, otherwise I feel not worth to go lor.

And OMG! So sad to hear Hoi's Kitchen closed down liao.. tot their business v. gd all along. Sigh, really not fated. Wonder if they shifted somewhere else??

Me too, so far no plans for 2nd one. This one is oredi a little terror. Though I love children a lot, I will end up in IMH very soon if there's a 2nd one now.. keke.

j_camomile

San,

For maps, u can always chk with ur rental firm to see if they provide full road maps that covers all the regions. Some of them do. Else, u can always get them easily from the Information Center in the region u're visiting. Most hotels shld have them too.

For Budget, they always include a full copy into ur car so it's ready for use upon pickup. The maps were also very detailed & useful. The last time when we visited Gold Coast, Sydney, Mebourne & Perth, we hardly have to obtain or purchase maps anywhere else for these places cos the maps were oredi detailed enuff. We only took brochures for certain attractions if we stop by any Information Center.

And hee.. have juz received confirmation fm Budget earlier in the evening that our request for a 2.2L car has been confirmed.. HOORAY!!!
happy.gif
Actually, a 2L is more than sufficient for us, juz wanna try my luck to see if we're lucky enuff again to get a bigger car :p And since we're able to get one at no extra cost, why not? Moreover, bigger room space is always gd esp. if there's a kid onboard. It's oso a luxury.. keke :p And right now, they oso have a 4th day free special for all rentals between 1st May-31 July; and they were oso very kind enuff to extend the offer to me so I only pay $373 nett total.. GREAT! ^_^

Hva great weekend & HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
wink.gif

starmed

san
haha...me letting nature take its own course lah..dun wanna think abt it..:p

ladies..have a great weekend...
happy.gif
enjoy!! sigh...seems like the next public hol is in aug liao... a long wait again...:p

j_camomile

Star,
Ya.. dun stress out on tt. Must oso ensure u're really ready before comitting urself cos parenting is no easy task too..
happy.gif

To all mothers out there.. Wishing u all a very HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
kao_smile.gif

nesame

Camomile,
It is consider low season now so upgrading of car shouldn't be a problem. Of course it is great to get good deals. You are counting down to your trip liao.

Star,
True. Moreover, you are still young and got plenty of time.

Hey, aren't you having public holiday everyday? You don't have to wait till August.

j_camomile

San,

Ya, partly due to low season tt's y able to get better cars. But quite lucky also cos they only have a few 2.2L for tis range. According to them, it's not easy to get one also cos usually demand is rather high for tis car type at the airport, so still gotta depend on luck.
My bro-in-law just came from Perth on Sun. Brought back lotsa brochures & I saw there's another special from Budget where u only need to pay $5 for first day (for min. of 4 days rental). We just have need to present the voucher upon collection to enjoy the offer, so even more savings. So total, we shld only be paying less than $350 now. Certainly a great deal..
happy.gif

Yes, 5 more days to my trip.. but my heart oredi there long ago liao.. :p

So how's ur planning? Got everything ready yet?

starmed

San
haha..ya for me is true but not for my hubby...
happy.gif
we planning to go for a short trip to bali in early aug...hoepfully can do as plan...
happy.gif

camomile
happy.gif
wah... u must be excited...
happy.gif
the weather's cooling now..so it's must be real good to get away from the heat...
happy.gif

j_camomile

Star,

Ya.. can't wait men. I'm those who like cool weather alot & I'm not scared of cold, but I hate heat, especially Singapore weather so humid makes u super sticky after u sweat. My gal also, so it's gonna be like whole day 'air-con' for her over there, heehee...
happy.gif

So u planning to go Bali ya? I've been there 4.5 years bk. It's a nice place, beautiful beaches & a place rich in culture. Great place for relaxation...
happy.gif

starmed

camomile
yup..planning to go in early aug..maybe even spend the national day there..
happy.gif
I've been to Bali many years back..that's way bef the terrorist bombings..n the price then was ex... now it seems rather cheap n affordable to go there...
happy.gif
for hubby,it's his first time there..
happy.gif

nesame

Camomile,
My planning stil half bucket only. hee. More excited over this coming Saturday birthday party for my gal 1st birthday.

Same here, luvs cool weather alot. S'pore already suffering with the heat, will always choose to escape to somewhere where we can wrap ourself up.

Btw, any ideas is it common to see cake shops in Perth everywhere? My gal actual birthday will be in Perth so I intend to get a cake for her on the actual day. I don't remember I see alot of cake shops around which is as common as in S'pore during my last trip.

Oh, 1 more thing. where did you do your Visa? I enquire a travel agent and they charge $10 per passport. Wonder if there's anywhere cheaper since we got 9 passports.

Star,
Bali is cheap now. Have intentions to go as well but with a baby now, it seems difficult for me to go Bali with a baby.

barbapapa

Hi San!

There is a cake shop called the Cheesecake Shop at subiaco. Its a green shop. Ask around and they will point it out to you. Try their boston mud cakes and their cappacino cheese cake. of course there are other cakes to choose from! you will definately like it!!

j_camomile

San,

There's a Miss Maud Pastry House located at Murray St & Hay St. They're rather famous for their cakes & pastries so mayb u can chk it out. They even do event catering too for special occasions..
happy.gif

Other than tt, most of them are located at at Northbridge & North Perth, not so much in Central Perth itself.

For Visa, if u do it thru the travel agent w/o getting the air-tickets, $10 is oredi very cheap. Dun think u can get cheaper anywhere else unless u're a regular with tt agency. Usually, if u book ur air-tickets together with them, they normally do it FOC for u, while some charge only a small fee.

I had mine done via a travel agency as well. I used to frequent them for cheap air-fares last time but for this trip, I got my tickets thru SQ direct cos they're having a promo. But SQ charge $30 per pax for visa, which is v ex. so I approach my usual travel agent instead. They charge me only $9 cos I used to be their regular. Normally they charge $12 for walk-in customer, which is still much cheaper than doing it online or via SQ. So I think for urs at $10, it's oredi v. cheap. Since u hv 9 pple, u can always negotiate with them for a lower price. They shld be able to give u a better rate..
happy.gif

nesame

Thanks Blue & Camomile for your recommendations.

Camomile,
In case i didn't post here tomorrow, bon voyage to you in advance. Enjoy yr trip!

nesame

Camomile,
Thanks. Btw, did you manage to find any fruit orchard? think i got to go back donnybrooks for Old Goldfields again.

Star,
Me leaving on 26 May. Anything you wanna 'lombang' me to get from Perth?

j_camomile

Star, tks!
happy.gif

San,

Managed to find one Golden Grove Orchard at Chittering. That's the nearest to Perth besides Raeburn Orchard & they allow fruit picking too. Mayb u can give them a call at 95718117 when u're there. Or u can obtain further information about the orchard at the IC there. Okie dokie, gotta go. Bon Voyage & enjoy ur trip! =)

sallykoo

Found this F&E itinerary at Today's newspaper. Can't upload the PDF, therefore copy and paste instead.

Suggested itinerary

Day 1
• Shop at Hay & Murray Street Malls, Harbour-Town factory outlets or Westfield Carousel
• Visit Kings Park for a panoramic view of the city
• Dinner at Northbridge or Subiaco
• Overnight in Perth

Day 2
• Drive to Fremantle
• Shop along High & South Streets and at the Fremantle & E-shed Markets
• Taste freshest seafood at Cicerello’s
• Overnight in Perth

Day 3
• Take a cruise to Swan Valley
• Blend your own wine and savour it with your lunch at Sandalford Estate
• Interact with native animals at the Caversham Wildlife Park
• Dinner at Burswood Entertainment Complex
• Overnight in Perth

Day 4
• Drive southwest out of Perth
• Swim with dolphins at Bunbury Dolphin Discovery Centre
• Take a stroll on Busselton Jetty to the Underwater Observatory
• Overnight in Margaret River

Day 5
• Visit the galleries and Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse at Dunsborough
• Explore the caves and wineries in Margaret River
• Visit the quaint town of Cowaramup for some delightful treats
• Overnight in Margaret River

Day 6
• Return to Perth via Donnybrook for a spot of fruit picking.

claerwen

Hi People!

Anyone going to Perth next week or so & will be visiting Swan Valley regions? Pls let me know cos I need to get something from Edgecombe Bros winery over there. So if u're going there, do PM or email me at [email protected]. Tks alot!!

curl

Hi San

Can you let me know which travel agent you use for Australia Visa?

I also booked my tickets thru SQ & need to get the VISA done.

Thanks

starmed

Curl
u can either get your visa from the SIA custmer service counter in changi airport terminal 2 or from travel agents...I got mine from the SIA counter..paid $30 for the each visa..dun know abt the agent wise..
happy.gif

curl

HI San

Thanks! BUt didnt want to pay $30 for the visa, so thinking of going through a cheaper travel agent.

Camomile

Would you know which travel agent that i can do cheaper visa?

barbapapa

Hi Curl,

Aiyah i thought you have not book the tickets yet. Was going to tell u to book via Zuji. I did not pay for the visa and everything was done nice nice thru them.

Too bad.

You can actually do the visa via online though. not sure if it is cheap.

claerwen

Hi Curl,

U can go to Chariot Travel. They charge only $10 per visa. And if u purchase ur air-tickets fm them, they will do it FOC for u.

Like wat Camomile has mentioned abv, if u go thru SIA counter, will be $30 per visa & if online, will be $30 AUD per visa, very ex. I bought my tics from SIA too last time cos they have a promotion & it was slightly cheaper than getting it from the agency. I only got the visa done thru them cos it was v. cheap, only $10. U can visit their website at www.chariot.com.sg or give them a call at 63888883. Generally, their airfares are also cheaper than other agencies too. Hope it helps..
happy.gif

bubble_low

Hi,

Juz like to chk with those who rent from M2000.
I saw the car quote abv. Why the insurance excess is much more than the car rental ? I may be going again in oct to view wildflowers. Thks.

bubble_low

Hi Jojo,

Thks for ur reply. I've rented from bayswater before. This time as i hv more people going along and need a bigger car. That's why i consider M2000.

infinitesith

Hi all,

I'm actually thinking of a self-drive trip there for my honeymoon in Dec. Perth - Busselton - Magaret River - Pemberton - Albany

Any comments on the weather around 15th dec to 22 dec? Is 8 days too long? Will there be plenty of summer flies? Will it be too hot in dec? Do the roads there have clear road signs?

barbapapa

Hi Raymond,

4 days should be enough to cover these places you have mentioned. But since it is your honeymoon, go for longer stays in Pemberton and Albany instead of MR. To me, MR is just too touristy.

Weather in December should be breezy but it is not going to be cold. There maynot be a lot of flies as comapred to perth city. But Perth city will definately be warm.

There are definately clear road signs on the roads judging by the route you are going by. For each stop you made on the way, look out for the 'i' sign where it signifies each town information.

Hope it helps.

infinitesith

Hi Blue,

Thx a bunch for the info. Esp for the weather n flies. Its quite worrying as i do not wish for a fainting irritated bride for a honeymoon.

Do you have any idea where in western australia do they have nice beach resorts (not chalet-type)?

infinitesith

Hi Blue,

Is it much cheaper to book the accom online last min than to book it now? My only fear is that the choice accom that i want to book would be already full. Is $3000 more than enough for a 7 nights accom, 8days car rental and flight tickets for 2 to Perth,Busselton, Magaret River, Pemberton and Albany?

barbapapa

Hi Raymond,

Usually December is not a time to go Perth but weather over there can be unpredictable.But one thing for sure is that the southern area will be cooler than in city.

i do know of one beach resort that is right at the beach but that is in Albany. Its called emu something. but i can;t recall. It has a jaccuzi and 20 steps you will be out on the beach! But you need to search the albany website for more info. If i am not wrong it is near the emu beach.

actually i got some websites on the different romantic accomodation you can stay for your honeymoon. if you dun mind i can forward you the website address and you can decide from there.

barbapapa

You might want to book the accomodation as some places are really popular. For example i love the lavendar berry cottages in Pemberton but they are always booked! Treenbrook cottages in Pemberton are popular also. So if you want to book the cottages that you like, it is best that you book b4 hand. Not much cheaper than you book on the spot though.

Your $3k maynot be enough as certain accomodations are not cheap. Assuming tickets for both will be 1400 car rental is abt 600. Its about 2k. so you are left with 1k on the accomodation, meals and petrol cost. Nice cotttage with fireplace and nice interior can come up as much as 200 per night. but usually 150 per night can get you decent cottages.

infinitesith

hi blue,

i'll be more more than glad if you could forward to me the website addresses that you have for romantic accomodation.

You seem to know quite a bit about the Western Australia. Did you study there before?

i just hope that the weather would be fine there. tink i'll start finalizing all the itineary and accom by oct. my fiancee loves the lavender and berry farm. she made sure that its one of the accommodations that we're going to book.

barbapapa

hi infinite,

yes i stayed before and i was like a 'part time' tour guide to my friends and relatives esp for southern areas. Below are some of the nice cottages i shortlisted. If you can, stay in Treenbrook. We saw kangaroos in the evening. The cottage is fully built in jarrah wood and bricks. infact i find it betta than lavendar berry cottage.

for albany, just check their website for list of accommodation. look for those at the emu beach.

I added Denmark as one of those 'if you have time to admire the cliffs' sights. Do surf their website to see what they have to offer.

www.blueloft.com.au
www.williambaycottages.com.au
www.treenbrook.com.au
www.denmarkvisitorcentre.com.au
www.pembertontourist.com.au

Have fun

claerwen

Hi Raymond,

U can also chkout Karri Valley Resort near Pemberton. Their lakeside rooms offer balconies with both lakeside & forest views. It's a great getaway especially if u're nature lover, and a really serene & beautiful place with fantastic lakeside & sunset views. They have special packages for honeymooners too..
happy.gif

http://www.karrivalleyresort.com.au

And yes, $3K is definitely not sufficient. $5K wld be a closer estimate. For accom, do try to make booking as early as possible to avoid disappointment especially if u're going for the popular choices. For more info on these places, u can always visit www.westernaustralia.com. They also have distance charts to help u in planning..
happy.gif

infinitesith

hiya Blue and Claerwen,

Thank you thank you so much! I'm so glad that there are people sharing me their experiences regarding the place. The internet has got such a great trove of information, but it takes plenty of time to sift out the better places. I've spent many nights looking through different accommodations but Google.com.au always brings me to the same few accommodations. At least now, i have more variety and advice to follow on. Blame it on heavy advertising and competition.

mozilla

infinite.. i bought the below for my coming trip.. fyi
(1) ticket to perth by SIA = S$348 + tax of 300+ (x 2 tickets)
(2) Perth City hotel 4 nights = A$79x4 (for 2 ppl)
(3) Land tour of 6 days 5 nights to Busselton, Magaret River, Pemberton and Albany. Include the Karri valley resort which is mentioned by clarwen = S$1K (x 2 ppl)

infinitesith

Hi Fox,

so when is your trip? would it be before dec?

cuz the prices u've got seems really GOOD for the air tics. in Dec, the qantas tics costs $896 (2 pax) + S618 (taxes for 2 pax) = $1568.

Western australia accom also 10-20% more exp. but i've managed to squeeze in 8 days and 7 nights accom + self-drive 1.6L toyota car + air tickets for 2 pax for around $3200. But the accom that i've chosen would not be choice ones. Furthermore, most breakfasts are not provided by the accom so i probably be spending around additional $1k in excess for meals, shopping and misc stuff.

Sad to say ... i might not have enoough cashflow to go for honeymoon in Dec. Need to pay for my wedding dinner and purchases for my new flat plus renovation. So i guess my Western Australia trip has got to postponed till a later date.

But hey thanks to all you nice people esp Blue and Claerwen, out there for providing me leads to a perfect honeymoon to downunder

jacqueline97

Hi Infinite

I think during DEC, weather is turning hot soon...most of my friends will return singapore during this time to skip the summer time....

Starstar, nice to read your mail in this site too....Perth is one place that I have been to so many times, due to my gal visiting jadecot the training ground for SQ, taking pic with the mini mouse aircrafts.....and most of all, friends that migrate there....You go there often too?

barbapapa

hi Infinite,

Such a pity that you are postphoning ur WA trip! If it is not your honeymoon, you can go budget too! You can actually save on your car rental and accomodation. But since it is a honeymoon....maybe need to save and enjoy better on your trip.

Betta times to go perth will be Autum April to June and spring time Sept to Oct. For autumn you might get to visit the fruit orchards. Spring time is the best where they are millions of flowers blooming, kings park is having wild flower show and in oct there is a Perth Royal Show. Really exciting....

Start to plan and save dude!

claerwen

Hi Infinite,

Yup, summer time in Western Australia can get really piping hot, esp. in Jan. Temp can get over 40 degree in some places, so it might be a good thing too to postpone it till a later date. I had a colleague last time who went there in Jan for her honeymoon & she had serious sunburnt when she returned. It took her more than one week to heal, really poor thing.

As wat Blue said, Autumn & Spring are the best time to visit Perth cos weather will be very cooling & u'll also get to see more things. But try not to go during winter bet Jun-Aug. It's really freezing & most activities are not available too.

Anyway, if u need more info on other places u can visit, u can also chkout the other thread on Perth:
http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/messages/4/5665.html?1152178432

And since it's ur honeymoon, hope u wun go on budget ya.. keke. Save enough for a great trip!
404272.gif

mozilla

infinite,
i am going later this month (sept) to catch the wild flowers. it is not honeymoon though

the airtickets are the SIA GV2 promotion - or u can try buying from friends who have krisflyer miles to spare. I think it is about 35K miles per return ticket to perth

i bought the air ticket & land tour from euro-asia, it come with breakfasts and dinners. the extension is bought online; slightly cheaper than buying from euro-asia as it come with free perth city tour. The aus visa is free and euro-asia answered most of my questions; so i decided to buy from them instead of having to piece the items myself from online/direct sourcing