Paris for honeymoon

fates

Okie I'll check NTUC out
happy.gif

So I guess those provided by credit cards company are out then? Eg UOB, OCBC, DBS etc etc..

alhana

Hi fates

I have bought DBS (Aviva) & UOBs' insurance policies before, but their premiums were more expensive than those of NTUC. However, you must also look at the coverage given for the price you pay. Theirs may include higher payout, or cover more items, hence the pricier premiums.

yule

I bought AIG, UOI, Citibank travel insurances before. For ticket bookings, I pay by Citibank Gold becos the payout is $1mil (touchwood).

I was compensated by AIG after I was robbed in Europe. They were pretty efficient and generous with the payout.

woof

hey yule,
wa..this is nt the first case i heard...i heard fm my colleague tat her grp mate was also being robbed rite in front of the hotel...so scary........but den luckily u bought insurance.....so how's the pay out huh.....
heard tat although the premium is low for NTUC but den when comes to claim (touchwood), itz pretty slow n troublesome...izzit true?

hey fates,
when i went there, sofitel hotel is very good....a memorable stay there even onli for 2nites.....very comfy and clean.....

rtan

Paris is a fantastic place for a honeymoon. Daylight robbery is not common in Paris, I believe they meant that they were pickpocketed. Taking precautions is very easy, and I've never felt unsafe when in Paris.

I have written an article on Paris which may be useful.

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~rtan/Paris/

seafaith

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your sharing, found your article is very details and useful.

I like free and easy trip but clueless how to plan in the first step.

We plan to go for honeymoon on next year end march or early april after our wedding. Do u think we can go to London and Paris within 14days trip?

Hoe u can give me more adv or you would like to send me email at [email protected]

Thanks

rtan

Hi Seafaith,

I have another article linked from the Paris page that tells you how to plan your own free and easy tour. If you are sticking to just London and Paris, 14 days is very comfortable. You might wish to add one more place to visit, but not more than that. France wise, you might consider Loire Valley.

Early April or end March is probably a good time; air fares are probably cheaper since it is not the peak period. It might still be a little chilly so be prepared for slightly colder weather. But Spring is a wonderful time to go.
happy.gif

makino

Like what Raymond says, 14 days is very comfortable for only 2 places.

Btw, we visited Beaune too.. very beautiful small, old town. Feels like a chapter from the past. There's a small arch of triomphe as well.

If you're in London, you can extend to Oxford, Greenwich, etc.. with so many days to play around with, happy planning!

midas

ya...airfrance is gd value if u can get the promo prices. or u can try Qatar airways...cheap n gd too but need to transit at Doha airport.

kxbc

I don't like Qatar Airways. The planes I flew from SIN to DOHA and back were badly maintained and the toilets were stained and dirty. No individual in-flight entertainment by seat even though the flight is more than 8 hours. You view movies on the big screen like in the good old days. Only thing good is their blanket which is really comfortable.

midas

hi kxbc,

oh...u r the unlucky one..i flew to europe on qatar, transiting Doha, out of 4 planes 3 got individual inflight entertainment LCD screen juz like SQ one. i think depends on luck lor. i find their food n service not bad..juz the toilet is not clean enuf n toilet paper runs out very fast. anyway, i dun think all airlines hv individual inflight entertainment LCD like SQ..does airfrance hv it?

rtan

Hi all,

Yeah, the toilets at the Doha airport sucks, plus the Doha airport is really small and the duty free prices are crazy. Don't bother with the shopping.

For us, we had two out of four planes having individual inflight screens. We noticed it was only the Doha to CDG and CDG to Doha legs that had the screens. They seem to place more priority on their flights to Europe.

But overall we were quite pleased with Qatar airlines; their food was quite good. We paid only $1005 per person (inclusive of all taxes) for our return flight to Paris in May 2005. And the transit time was only two hours so it was not so bad.

Perhaps you might want to consider Gulf Air instead?

We tried KLM too which transits at Schipol Airport (very nice) but there are no individual screens and the food is not as good. It is also pricier at $1381 though you might get slightly cheaper rates depending on when you fly; we flew from End Jun to Mid Jul 2006.

pinkbunny

perhaps can check out emirates too. they seem to be rather reasonable in price, and i've only heard good things about their services
happy.gif

midas

hi Raymond,

i got 3 out of 4 flights with the LCD screen...the return flights from paris to sg is both hv LCD, i think is depends u heng or suay lah. as for the Doha airport itself, maybe things r going to improve soon coz they expending the airport complex..i saw constructions going on there last May n wonder if its ready by the time they held the Asian games late last yr. But i believe its going to be better nxt time
happy.gif

pinkbunny, ya...my friend who took Emirates to europe is a very satisfied customer of theirs..can check them out too.

marnie

Hi hi! First time in this thread. Hubby and I are going to Paris in mid October - pretty excited!

Stephanie, you can try Qantas. They fly pretty much everyday. But it's a stop-over in LHR. We are taking flight sectors to LHR and take eurostar from there cos' we want to fly back home from London so that we get a couple of days there to spend time with hubby's family and friends there.

And they do have individual inflight entertainment (screens and all).

midas

hi pinkbunny,

the le regent is located at Montmartre which is a bit like our Geylang leh...a bit sleazy..lotsa blacks pple walking on the streets..not a safe place to visit let alone stay there..but things r much cheaper there though.

the Hotel Tiquetonne's location looks alright..walking distance to many sites. juz need to confirm whether tis place got gd or bad reviews anot..

pinkbunny

thanks midas
happy.gif
i'm told montmartre is also a bit hilly, which may be an issue for my MIL's knees. yeah okie doke, will take note of the geylang comment! keke. thanks!

midas

yup its located on slope of a hill...there's a famous landmark there though..the Sacré Coeur Basilica. its located on top of the hill n has very nice birdseye view of the city from up there
happy.gif

461921.jpg

rtan

Hi all,

Be careful of the thugs at the bottom of the steps. They will try to swindle you with some lousy friendship band; if they fail to con you out of EUR 10 (or whatever ridiculous amount), they will try to pickpocket you. Avoid eye contact and keep your hands on your valuables; don't ever shake their hand. Heck, just avoid them; keep away from them. Please don't be so suaku.
happy.gif

This is generally true of anyone in Paris who approaches you, even for "help" (e.g. Chinese women speaking in Chinese on Champs Elysees with some sob story about a relative in hospital needing cash. Yeah, right.) They are all complete scams in one way or another.

rtan

Actually to be honest, Montmartre is a tourist trap. Parisans don't go to Montmartre. All you have at the painter's square are lousy painters, lots of tourists, waiters, and pickpockets. The only French people there are the waiters, painters, and pickpockets. See for example:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_de_France/Paris-99080/Tourist_Traps-Paris-TG-C-1.html

But of course if you have never been to Paris before, it's worth it to go just once, but take care of your own belongings and don't buy anything there.

To experience the REAL Paris, check out:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_de_France/Paris-99080/Off_the_Beaten_Path-Paris-TG-C-1.html

More Paris Tips at:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_de_France/Paris-99080/TravelGuide-Paris.html

Bon voyage.
happy.gif

midas

hehehe raymond the way u describe it is so funny...

pinkbunny, the friendship knot thingy they mostly approach ang mohs...as long as u wear n behave like poor asians they more or less wun disturb u coz they wun know u can speak english
happy.gif
oh, and if u r around places tat has a LV shop, china pple will approach u n ask u to help them buy LV bags...they will say they only allow to buy 1 bag not enuf etc. dun help them hor...why all china pple only buy LV n not other brands..fishy rite?

by the way, when r u going to paris?

pinkbunny

merci, raymond!!

midas - alamak. my hubby is ang moh la. so maybe we walk around separately? haha

and i won't be in the LV area for sure. not a fan
happy.gif

prob going mid june
happy.gif

pinkbunny

just to share, misa travel is having a promo. this is what they quoted me:

to fly on emirates:
780 ticket + 380 tax + 30 admin fee

if pay by credit card, +2%

depart SG 08 jun 0200hrs, arrive paris 08 jun 1330hrs

depart paris 17 jun 2150hrs, arrive sg 19 jun 0045hrs

rtan

Pink Bunny, je vous en prie.
happy.gif

We (who obviously looked Chinese and we were wearing normally so we don't look rich) were also approached by those thugs at the bottom of the Montmartre stairs. Even if they can squeeze EUR 10 out of you, they will.

So in summary, the two main scams by along Champs Elysees are (1) Asking you to buy LV bag for them (they will pass you money, probably fake money or "dirty" money) (2) Pretending to have a relative or family member in hospital and sound desperate.

Harden your heart and ignore them. Else they will have the last laugh.

midas

according to virtual tourist, there's another type of scam ask u to let them draw a portrait of u for free(at first try to sell cheap cheap but later try to say draw free first if dun like can dun buy)...but after finish liao then demand for money..if dun gv, make a big big scene.

rtan

Hi Pink Bunny,

Don't talk to anyone and you'll be fine. Just don't be a suaku tourist.
happy.gif

Another common taxi scam; when you exit out of the Charles de Gaule airport, there will be people approaching you asking if you want a cab. Ignore them, they drive unlicensed cabs and will rip you off. Go join the official cab queue outside.

midas

hi pinkbunny,

dun take the taxis...very ex. i got lobangs for airport transfer company. cheap n reliable..they do door step transfer using a MPV type vehicle with driver wearing suit n tie..postpaid payment policy means u book with credit card but not charged during booking. u only pay when the driver drops u off at the hotel
happy.gif
PM me for the webby k.

lovetotravel

Hi all,

accommodation in Paris can be expensive,can consider Tim Hotel Tour Eiffel for around Eur89 per room per night which i think is a good deal. about 10mins walk to Eiffel tower. Must go eiffel tower at night as it is spectacular. Paris is a comospolitian city and lots of chinese or vietnamise so it is quite safe.
Don't take cab, take their metro as it is convenient and easy to use. Can go to ticket counter and ask for au carnet and they will sell u a set of tickets which u can use any time u want. unlike our mrt, u need to lift the lever to exit the train. buskers perform on the train too and it is up to you whether u want to give them money. I love Paris and would love to go there again.

midas

pinkbunny, i replied ur PM liao...

u may also do a price comparison by doing a yahoo/google search with 'paris airport shuttle'..can see many companies offering similar transfer services...i particularly like the one i used is becoz its one of the cheaper ones n they do not charge my credit card upfront..in case they no show i still can take regular taxis mah.

rtan

Hi blur angel,

One is a country, and one is a city, how to compare?
happy.gif

Now, if you're asking whether to go to Paris or Rome, it's a tough choice, but my wife and I generally prefer France over Italy.

marnie

Hi Blur Angel, it's tough like what Raymond said. Italy is a country. Paris a city.

I think question is you should ask, what do you like to do when you go to different country? Both have lots to offer in terms of the art scene. My friends go to the Vatican City (where Rome is) once every so often, them being catholics.

Parisians are proud of their culture and language (thus their refusal to open conversations with an English phrase which others take to mean that they are rude - they are not really!); they take pride of their city. Whereas Italians well, um, let's just say, the streets of Rome are littered constantly and graffitis abound even on the ancient blocks of the Colliseum --> so that says a lot. Florence is much less polluted and I am thankful that they have retained the charming way of life. I love Italian food more than French. Well, I love provencal french foods just as well but that's way in the south of France.

For me, it's a toss. I was in Paris for a day but that was enough to make me and hubs go back later this year.

smile1

Thank you so much Raymond & Idyll..that's of great help already..i would think i will go for France (Paris) too..

rtan

Hi Blur Angel,

Pick up some French phrases, learn to pronounce them correctly, and do research on good restaurants in Paris. Even though France is gastronomic heaven, there are bad restaurants too. In general, if a restaurant or cafe has menus in English, avoid.

lovetotravel

Before i go to Paris, I heard remarks saying parisian can be rude, nasty, racist etc. I did not encounter any problem at all. I do not speak french except the simple greetings and they are all nice and courteous. In a crowded metro, when someone gently bump into me, she apologize which I don't see that in Singapore mrt.

marnie

Kwok, I so agree with you! The Parisians we met that 1 day hubs and I were there, were super! They accomodated us and even gave us a free apples each on the Eurostar after learning we had to travel by train all the way from Rome to London via Paris due to the Heathrow clamp down last August. Not that we didn't eat but still to get free apples from strangers gave us fuzzy feelings.
happy.gif

rtan

Hi all,

Some people experience French curtness and mistake it for rudeness. They are not a warm people by nature; look at their history and you will understand why. Lots of it are just culture misunderstandings; there is a book called "Culture Shock: France" which explains many of them.

Personally I think going to France and speaking English is rude; just like if the French were to come to Singapore and speak French you would think it's rude too. As Kwok and Idyll mentioned, any simple effort to speak French is rewarded by the locals.

It is still possible to meet the occasional snooty Parisan but by and large, our experience has been great too, especially since we had such hospitable and loving hosts in Colmar.

lovetotravel

I think all countries have rude ppl. It's just when and where u encounter them. Switzerland is well known for being friendly but I have a different experience. The custom officer is rude and nasty towards us. A guy selling tickets at the boat station is also rude towards us. we greeted him with a smile and asked whether we can use the swiss pass to board the boat and he answered rolling his eyes "yes" than he turned
away. We are the only customer at the station so he is not busy at all. We wanted to enquire on the next boat timing and he said "look at the board its not written on my forehead" and he slammed the door and walk away.

We also met super nice ppl in swiss...it was raining when we reached lucern, so imagine....luggage in one hand, umbrella in another and struggling to navigate the map. hahaha. I think the lady saw how pitiful we look and offered to help guide us to the location.
Met loads of nice ppl there. The raining part...really enjoyed this memorable experience.

rtan

Hi Kwok,

Agree with you; there are rude people everywhere.

Part of it is also up to us; e.g. the smiling broadly approach does not work in Paris because it is not the nature to smile there (I know it's crazy; how not to smile in such a beautiful city?); if you go around walking smiling to yourself, people think you are a psycho. That's just the way it is with the Parisans and the French people in general. It is not America.

Also, we have to be aware of new cultures and new ways of doing things. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. For example, when buying fruits or vegetables at a market in France, it is considered extremely rude to pick and choose your own fruits and vegetables. You just tell the shopkeeper exactly what you want, and you can trust him to pick the best for you.

Now, if we were to be ignorant and to start to pick our own fruits and vegetables, of course the store owner will be unhappy and rude to us. But it is actually our fault in the first place for being ignorant of the local customs.
happy.gif