Paris for honeymoon

zec

wats the weather in march ah....do i need to wear thick thick clothing?? intend to stay there for 8dayz....

i look at the net most flight from sg to paris is arn 11pm....so wats the time do i reach in paris

zec

from a travel agency quote me through email by qatar, thai n malaysia airlines.....any1 got idea their departure n arrival time n is it a stopover anywhere??

lkf

zec

i took MAS once to Paris. it was a night flight and arriving paris early in the morning. the returning flight was a morning flight from Paris, arriving singapore in the morning also (+ 1 day). hope this helps.

zec

tanx lkf...for the info...appreciate tat...mayb will go to tour agency n ask them to list all the flight times hehehe

smurfy

Hi pple,

I was in Paris last month.. nice place. Think dogdog780 miss out 1 must-see place in Paris - Arc de Triomphe
Things which i seen in Paris:
1) Notre Dame
2) Eiffel Tower
3) Gallery lafayette
4) Arc de Triomphe
5) Chateau de Versailles (in Versailles-France, not Paris)

Versailles palace is very nice.. due to budget constraints, I only went into its garden (EURO 3). Its garden is already so magnificent.

smurfy

229460.jpg

229461.jpg

slow

Hello all, anyone knows if there is a special price now on air tickets to Paris? And also where to stay there? Expensive?

Sorry but me sua koo - 1st time there; planning to go around end-Jan 2005 period. Is it a good time to go then?
happy.gif

mayneberlin

alhana

My favourite website to find cheap accomodation in Europe :

http://www.eurocheapo.com

U can't make bookings via the website tho. They only give recommendations and the contact numbers of those recommended. Got my Paris hotel from here.

alhana

I stayed at Hotel De La Vallee in the Chatelet district. Its in the 1st arrondisement, which is one of the best locations u can get coz its right smack in the centre by the River Seine.

Its a 1-star...don't expect much. Has an attached bath. Must walk up..no elevator..definitely no porter to help you with ure bags. No minibar or even kettle to boil water. Its really a no-frills place. Still, it was cheap (when I stayed there, it was Euro50/nite) and the location can't be beat. So can't complain too much lah :p

zzee

Anyone has any more hotel recommendations? Places they've stayed before in Paris and affordable (range of S$100 to S$180 per night for a double).... I am looking to go there in mid April next year...

Anyone been to Moulin Rouge before? Is it a cabaret dance club or nightclub? Worth taking a look?

I went to Paris many years back and have covered almost all the touristy sites. But will be revisiting some again becos HTB has never been there.

For those who'll be there for a short stay, I'll recommend: Effiel Tower (how can one miss the symbol of Paris), Louvre (for the great art pieces and the inverted pyramid for photo taking), one day tour to Versailles (for the beautiful palace grounds), Notre Dame Cathedral (for the gothic architecture), walk along champ eslysee (which will lead you to Arc de Triomphe, Place du concorde etc)...

Anyone went to Montmarte? Is it worth going? What's there to look out for?

slow

Hi alhana, I am thinking of staying in Latin Quarter so is it a nice place to stay in? Also, is it easy to get to the airport in the Chatelet district?

Me a bit clueless.... :p

bamboobride

hi,

i am planning to go paris in april. any of u keen to buy sq tickets together? they r having a promotion now. 4 to go will be 1150 each instead of 1650.

if u r interested, pls pm me.

thanks

miloice

Hi cin,
your profile has disallow pm.

btw, when do u intend to buy the tix? We have not decided where & when to go yet and will only decide after our customary. Need to see if we lose or breakeven 1st.

isobellies

hi guys,
it's worth taking a look at where the airport train stops, and then find a hotel near the stops, like Gare Du Nord and Luxemborg. I stayed at a place where must change trains form Luxemborg, and it was a bit of a hassle lah.

But the Latin Quarter is a lovely place to stay, so many places to eat, and very accessible to all the tourist spots (if not, near the metro).

BE WARNED!!!!! There are MANY pickpockets in Paris, and I cannot emphasise this enough as i've seen them with my own eyes a couple of years back. When I went back last year I didn't see any, but it's worth being careful
happy.gif

Also, near Arc Du Triumphe, there were some mainland chinese ladies who tried to ask us for "help". It's a complete scam. Don't trust them!

bamboobride

hi iso,

u r back from paris recently? i was there last mth. wah!! i nearly fell down from the train station. some of the train stations do not have escalators. so i have to walked up the steps with my heavy luggage. other than that, paris is really romantic.

so my advice to those who r going there, take a cab when u have to carry luggages. it shdn't be more than 20 euro from the airport to the city.

starfruit

I am going to spend 5 days in paris with my hubby. Is it best to get the metro tickets in packs of 10 (carnet of 10) and buy when i run out or best to buy a transort pass. Any idea anyone?

peganz

Hi Starfruit,

Definitely!! A carnet of 10 cost euro 10.50 and they will give you one free. so that 11 tix for euro 10.50.

one single trip cost euro 1.40.

Me n husband shared the carnet and we used two carnets during our 5 days there a month ago...

peganz

actually come to think of it, i still have two tix left over.... haha. but cant remember where i put them liao.

oh yah starfruit, they aso have those i tink 3 day pass but i cant rem the price but i remember that after calculating n comparing, the carnet-method still works best for us.

starfruit

<font color="0077aa">Goldilocks</font>:

Thanks for yor tip. will definitely do that. BYW: this tickets is only valid for the metro? or can i use these tickets on the bus and tram as well?. I am coming into paris from London.. will arrive at Gurd Du Nord. Can i purchase the carnet of 10 tickets straight at the station there? any idea?

I more question.. what kind of food can i get if i just want cheap meals for lunch? snadwiches to go or fast food? I heard it is expensive to eat in paris.. so wanna just settle on simple food for lunch so i dun burst my travel budget.

peganz

eh starfruit, what your email address?? i think i have the softcopy of the RER (sister of metro) and their metro map which my french fren sent to me the other time... maybe it helpful to you??

yes carnet can use for buses but not RER.

oh, for food, we go to supermarket buy bread, ham, n butter and we pre-pack them in morning when going out together with soft drinks or milk... then dinner can afford eat nice nice.. but sometimes we aso cannot resist lunch so we treat ourselves to some nice cake or a full meal. just go along with your feelings. not only food, everything is ex in europe but euro came down a lot these days good to consider changing.

starfruit

<font color="0077aa">Goldilocks</font>: Pls send to me at [email protected]. Thank u thank u. Really appreciate ur help.
What is the RER? will i be using it if i only stay in central paris. Oh but i do plan to make a trip to versailles to see the chateau..do i take the RER to that?

Guess i will do the same and go to the supermarket to buy food and "ta bao" out.
happy.gif
. Where did u stay on ur trip to paris? 1 more question - Did u buy the museum pass? I am keen to get it but its quite expensive.

zzee

Hi Starfruit, I just came back from HM in May and can share some of my experiences with you. We stayed at one of the hotels at Latin Quarter. Nice quaint hotel near the Luxumbourgh gardens/ metro (5 mins walk) and the happening restaurant area (5-10 mins). The metro (10 trips ticket) can be shared. You can roughly calculate the number of trips you need to make per day and see if it's worth it to buy the ticket. So far, we've only bought one such ticket as we really didn't need to make so many trips per day. The museum pass, we were told, is really for museum lovers. As you pointed out, it's quite expensive and unless you cover most of the museums, you'll not get much value out of it.
The RER is another train line that is inter-connected to the metro. I dun think the carnet covers the RER line. It's best to check with the ticketing counter. Yes, you'll need to take the RER line to reach versailles.
Eating at fast food restaurants is so far the cheapest. One value meal for about S$10. Just a sandwich and coffee at a cafe can easily cost you more than that. You can of cos also ta bao your food out.. but that involves more "work" and it's not really cheap as well... Just my two-cents worth.
Enjoy your trip!

kxbc

Bonjour!!!

Dec is wet wet wet and cold cold cold. Days are short. Opening hours for places of interest are also shortened. But accomodation should be easier to find, and probably slightly cheaper too.

Better to go in Oct, which is mid autumn (and quite cold already especially when the wind picks up). Leaves are turning yellow and red and the scenery will be simply amazing.

kxbc

Never been there in Dec. Was there twice in Oct and it's cold and wet and windy (my umbrella bent in the wind and rain). I figure Dec should be colder and wetter.

yoji

Hi Littlemay,
I will be going to Paris is Dec too - cause wedding is in DEC.

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone else book acccomodaiton or being to Paris and share some 3 star hotel with us?

Esp, those near nice nice food and goodies
happy.gif

mayneberlin

Hi gal,

I stayed at Best Western chain hotel while in Paris in late Jan this year. I paid around 90euros per nite (breakfast not included) They have a number of areas to choose, www.bestwestern.com

We stayed at Lorette opera and beside this hotel, there is an eatery operated by a china couple. Food are really ex in paris. We had macdonald's for breakfast, lunch is a quick bite and dinner at the chinese eatery cos we missed chinese food alot since paris was our last stop.

yoji

Hi Berlin,
I am planning to stay at Best Western Begere Opera , found a site that I could book for 74EURO.(and breakfast included). However, I am debating if staying in 8e is better or 1e or 2e.
Since you have been there, any advise in terms of transport wise?
Thanks

yoji

Hi Berlin,
One more question, you mentioned you stayed in Loretta opera. I heard that it is a good hotel from reviews of TRIP ADVISOR site. Any comments like if we would like go to shopping..
1)Is this area a good shopping area
2)Will it be a big headache to transfer metro lines to places like Halle Forum(shopping), effiel tower, Lourve etc?
Thanks

fates

Hi all, i planning a trip to paris in Dec..
Any cheap and safe lodgings to recommend? It'll be free &amp; easy.

woof

hi,
i have some euro currency left....so if u r interested i can exchange the currency wif u......guarantee tat the rate is higher than the money changer....
i juz wan to get rid of my euro currency.....

bortei

hey gals
i will also be in paris in dec
wanna have a quick sg meetup or lunch in paris??
I'll be in paris from 17th to 20th.
=))

fates

Gosh I'm going to paris on the 4th and still have not booked a room yet! *worry*
I had finally read through the whole thread (including the archives), and found a few websites I can book a room. Hotel is really not cheap..btw where do you girls book this De La Valle hotel from?

Hi gal, thanks I went to the site you recommended and will continue to search further.