Paris for honeymoon

ppgroom

Hi,

Anyone went to the Romantic Capital of the world for honeymoon? Can share your experience? (bad or good also can)

cody

its a good time to go if your honeymoon is before June 2004 ... Fly BA for only $688 per person!

alhana

Hubby & I went in 2002..frankly, we found Paris kinda over-rated. Yeah sure its romantic coz its got that old European charm, but after awhile, we got bored and wished we were back in the UK instead (we'd come down fr England & Scotland). Paris wld be great for pple who are into high fashion, museums, art, fine dining..which we weren't really into. However, I wld venture to say tt I wld've enjoy visiting other parts of France instead. Southern France looks lovely..wished I'd spent time there instead of Paris.

leeds

Hi PPgroom,

Its probably cos Paris is no more the romantic capital of the world! hehe... I been to paris but not for honeymoon, and I have to say I really don't see the romance in that place. There are other better places for honeymoon I feel.

blueberry_gal

There is no so call 'best or most romantic' place for honeymoon.....it all depends on individuals.....some people may like paris cos it combines both sight-seeing and great shopping whereas others may choose maldives....which is more for relaxing.....

but like what alhana said, i also find paris kind of over-rated, if you are looking for charm, go for UK.....you will get to see and discover more things..do not just stayed in Paris alone.....
happy.gif

Personally i preferred italy and uk.....
kiss.gif

gtow

Hello
I went to paris last year on our honeymoon trip. I loved Paris but it's very crowded and stressful if you try to cram too many activities and sightseeing in too few days, it's a huge city! To tell the truth, I much preferred Bacharach and Baden Baden in Germany - such lovely and peaceful places and I loved the hiking. But that's just me... heee

Missed our flight back to Singapore due to transport strike in Paris. Seems like they strike every week and the trains don't run...you have to walk everywhere then. But that's life in Paris for you. Part of the charm, heheheh

Agree with Alhana that southern france prob has more to offer. Esp if you drink wine :)

Gd luck for your trip planning! u can write to me at [email protected] if you want to know more abt my experiences in paris.

kare2711

Paris ... my new love.
happy.gif
I went there two years ago, and last June, as part of my honeymoon. SO said that Rome is more beautiful than Paris. That I have to agree. But Paris is equally great. Service is great, people are friendly, and there is so much to buy! When I went there, I didn't encounter any strikes. In fact, I'm fascinated by the Metro. I tell you, although old, it's so much better than Singapore's! I was nearly pick-pocketed though when I went there in Dec, and thanks to my warning, my SO missed one too last year. So my advice would be to be careful.

Do prepare to do lots of walking. Paris is a beautiful city for walking. Do email me if you need any further questions
happy.gif

a2002

I have been to Paris with hubby twice, not for honeymoon though. We enjoyed our second trip more than the first. OUr first trip was backpacking with tight budget though. Second trip was stay in hotel, eat in restaurant, and walk about at an easy pace cos we have covered all the main attractions the last time.

Overall, I find Paris over-rated as being the most romantic city in the world. I quite like Czech Republic. My parents love Venice best. I think it depends on what you like and your budget to make it a memorable honeymoon.

Actually I quite like Hawaii. I went there alone the last time, but I think it would be a romantic place for couples. Everywhere you go are couples couples couples... Restaurants, hotels all the same price for one person or a couple.

I have been to several places around Europe. If you want, can browse my page at http://www.virtualtourist.com/a2002

Wish you a great honeymoon...

a2002

Oh yes.. we love Japan very much too.. but it is too expensive. I was surprised that Japan is more expensive that Western Europe!

lilacz

Hi all, i have booked a ticket to Europe in mid May.Now very stressed up with finding cheap and ok accomodation.Will greatly appreciate if u gals can give feedback on the hotels/apt u have stayed.I will be going to Amsterdam, paris, Monacco, Rome, Venice then Switzerland.Thanks in advance!Im so excited!

a2002

Hi lilacz,

How cheap are you refering to? SGD100 per nite? Euro100 per nite? Euro is quite expensive at the moment. I spent EUR60 in a 3 star in Amsterdam over Christmas, EUR42 in a 2 star in Paris in July, GBP82 in a 3 star in Rome. Venice very expensive with little cheap accommodation, but I have forgotten the cost.

For more infor on the hotels that I have stayed, go to my website www.virtualtourist.com/a2002 and click on the respective travel pages for the Accommodations tips. I found the cheapest hotel from www.bookings.org as of last year. My sis stayed in Marriot in Amsterdam for EUR70 booked from www.priceline.co.uk.

You might consider staying in holiday inns. To get cheapest rate on the web, go to Intercontinental's own website to get the guaranteed cheapest rates.

alhana

Hi lilacz,

TO find cheap accomodation, try out this website :

http://www.eurocheapo.com

Its not a reservations site..rather they review European hotels, sussing out the best in budget accomodation. They will only recommend hotels/hostels, but you will then need to ctc the hotels directly to book the rooms. Some of these hotels may have their own websites..some u may hafta call. I booked my Paris hotel there, and it was really cheap considering the location (Euro50/nite for a room w attached bath) - it is located in the 1st arrondisement, right in the heart of the city. And best of all, its near a metro/RER station with a direct line to CDG airport. The hotel we stayed in is called Hotel de la Vallee, located at Chatelet.

lilacz

Hi ung, my budget is abt EUR60 per night, and must have private shower and bathrm.Wah EUR42 for a paris hotel?How was it?And is the location good?We are only going to stay for 3nights in Paris, so hoping to stay in a convenient location thus saving on travelling time.

Oh alhana, the hotel u mentioned seems cheap and good!I will go look up on it.Other than private bath, do they have private toilet as well?Some of the hotels seem to have either shower or toilet facilities in the rm, not both.

Thanks alot for the info!

alhana

Hi lilacz,

Actually, its not an attached bath (Sorry!)..its attached shower and toilet. And the prices are very cheap for the location. When I went in 2002, it was only Euro45/nite..think it has risen to Euro50+ lately..but still..cheap considering the location. Its only 1* tho..and no elevator..so if ure planning on hauling alot of luggage, u may wanna think twice. And it has no aircon either..but since ure going in May, the weather shld still be quite cool then.

a2002

HI lilacz,

The hotels that I went to are all ensuite with private shower and toilet and buffet breakfast. I went to Paris the last summer and it was very hot. No aircondition. It is not normal to have aircondition in a Parisian hotel, except in the luxury ones. The hotel was near a metro, but arrond 12 I think. I only need to take a few stops on the metro to get to Eiffel Tower.

Like what alhana has mentioned, May should be quite cooling.

Oh yes, just remembered another good website: www.ratestogo.com for cheap accommodation deals. But there's a small booking fee for this website.

a2002

I just looked through the website on Ratestogo. Seems like Paris is getting cheaper... Amsterdam quite ex on that site, maybe you can go to www.booking.nl

Good luck in your search...

catepillar

hi lilacz

the rates for Hotel de la Vallee this June is Euro 60. Like you, I'm also sourcing for accomodation for my early jun trip too
happy.gif
and still looking around. on a budget so will not be considering this. I will probably settle for Hotel Tiquetonne or Hotel de Rouen at euro 46 and comes with attached shower and toilet.

leeds

Hi all,

Talking about en-suite rooms, reminded me of the time when I went to Paris. We insisted on getting a room with en-suite bath and toilet at a budget hotel. And we got a shock when we saw our en-suite room as there's no door or wall separating the bathroom to the bed! So in the centre of the room was the bed, at the side there's a toilet, sink, bathtub and all, but no wall! It was so strange and I was with my friends, not my partner, so we had to take turn to leave the room whenever somebody wants to use the bathroom! But this hotel we got was quite cheap, probably not the norm in Paris lah... So maybe you should make sure that the en-suite bathroom is properly separated to the bedroom.
happy.gif

alhana

Hi catepillar

Wow, Hotel de la Vallee is Euro60 now??? That's ex considering its only a 1 star hotel w no amenities whatsoever (bfast not even incl in the price). Think they're charging higher due to the location. When planning my trip, I also considered Tiquetonne (it had good reviews at Euro Cheapo), but it was already fully booked by the time I contacted them. For those travelling ard June onwards, its best to book ure accomodation asap coz the cheap & convenient places get snapped up very quickly.

Hi leeds,

Haha..that room sounds v funny. Wldn't it stink if someone had to poop in the toilet?

lilacz

Wow girls, thanks so much for the info!Right now i have shortlisted 2 hotels each for amsterdam and paris, waiting for my friends approval since we are going in a grp of 5.We may get an apartment in Paris, EUR110 per night.If u r interested do let me know, i will tell u which website to go.

I have seen those toilets without walls in Hawaii.Really culture shock manz!Somemore thats a toilet at the seaside...*faint*

a2002

lol leeds...

I rem a Pension in Karlovy Vary (Czech Republic). I got a shower in the room. The shower is just a shower tub installed inside the bedroom with 4 transparent plastic doors...

catepillar

Alhana

yup it is really centralised and next to the Chatelet station. but still the increase cannot beat the one which i had stayed in 1998. It's near the Eiffel Tower and is now Euro 89!!!

I called Tiquetonne too. The lady asked me to call back in May so I think i better be ks and call her on 30 Apr
happy.gif

Lilacz

so u hv a grp of 5 people? then I would think that Euro 110 an apt is reasonable. this is out for me coz only me n hubby gng this time.

Leeds

Can tell which hotel is it? wanna avoid it...hahaha...juz like wat Alhana has mentioned :p

lilacz

Did u girls ever travel to rome, venice, monacco and switzerland?Gosh this is so much work when we are travelling to so many places....headache manz...If yes would appreciate greatly if u can suggest a gd accomodation with price range of ard EUR50...thank u so so much!

lilacz

Hi caterpillar,

Can i check with you the exact numbers u dialled to reach hotel Tiquetonne?I tried calling the number on the eurocheapo website just now but just cant get through.Do u know the current rate?

alhana

Hi Lilacz,

Think the nbr is correct, but the one quoted is for dialing w/in France. For overseas calls to Paris, try +33 1.42.36.94.58

Hope this works!

lilacz

Thanks alhana, just got the phone thru, but the person doesnt speak English!Still cant manage to make the reservation....haiz....maybe call back again next day to try my luck.

catepillar

lilacz

Hotel Tiquetonne's rates is Euro 46 per room per night (with shower and toilet). It has a lift
happy.gif

I called them twice in fact. First time, this man who spoke only French pick up the phone, so I didn't manage to get any info from him. The second time I called (on the next day), the same man passed the call to a lady who speaks English (i supposed he recognised my voice). That's how I got the rates and advice to call back in may to check for rooms in June.

lilacz

Hi girls thanks so much for the info!Last night called Tiquetonne again, wah the lady very fierce!Duno why she wants us to call back one hour later.We wana go to bed liao but no choice have to sit ard to wait and call her back.Managed to book only 2 nights cuz fully booked already, the other nights i have booked Hotel de la Valle.My hubby checked the map and love the location of these 2 hotels!But hor, they dont issue any confirmation, abit worried they void our reservation then we will have nowhere to sleep!

Caterpillar think u better call earlier, dont wait until too late in May since they r so popular!

catepillar

hi Lilacz

thanks for your advice. I will call them end of next week. so u also find the lady fierce? I also think tat she sounded rather unfriendly but at tat time i juz brushed it aside (for the seek of the price and location) and thot mebbe i was too KS to call so early (2 mths in adv).

alhana

Hi Lilacz,

I'm not sure abt Tiquetonne, but I know u can email Hotel de la Vallee. Why not drop them an email and have them confirm ure reservation in black and white. So de la Vallee is really Euro60/nite? That's pretty ex. When we were there, we were pleasantly surprised to find a chinese economy rice restaurant right opp the hotel's entrance. We had arrived in Paris late at nite (took the Eurostar fr London) and we were hungry and tired (had travelled the whole day on train all the way from Edinburgh to London to Paris). It was sooo nice to meet someone who could speak our language instead of fumbling ard w our crappy french trying to ask for directions to food outlets. Even some French working in the cafes or even MacDonalds can't seem to converse in English (or they don't want to) Its also opp an Erotic video shop :p Apparently that street is the red light district..when I read abt it, I was a little scared. but it turned out to be fine. Alot of decent joints ard, like internet cafes, small french cafes, boutiques, boulangeries etc. And that street is closed to cars, which is nice.

catepillar

alhana

unfortunately Tiquetonne doesn't have an email. tat's why i hv to call them
sad.gif

I dun think the whole of rue st denis (the red light street) is that horrifying. I supposed we juz have to be careful and try not to venture to the Adult Section at late night lor. Afterall sunset is probably around 8, 9 pm during May and June
happy.gif

alhana

Hi catepillar

Before I went, I actually read up some travel websites and they mentioned some scary stuff abt Rue St Denis. So I was abit apprehensive abt that area, esp knowing tt we wld arrive in Paris late at nite (we took the metro from Gare de Nord to Chatelet..and at that time, there was quite abit of news in the papers abt crime rates rising in Paris. Me, being the worrywort, was abit scared :p) But our worries were unfounded. We didn't venture up twds the red light zone and just went down towards Les Halles.

Lilacz,

Try to request for a room that doesn't face the street. IT can get v noisy at nite, esp if you hafta open the windows to sleep. We did tt the last nite we were there coz it was so hot! And we cldn't sleep a wink coz it was warm, and pple were shouting/talking loudly along the rue during the wee hrs of the morning..think they were drunk or something.

lilacz

Hi caterpillar,

Yah that lady wasnt very friendly, maybe cuz their biz is good.Not ks at all, just to secure the room its better to call early!I called a month in advance and i just manage to book for 2 nights and have to book another night in another hotel.

Hi alhana,

You r so kind to provide so much info so now i know what to expect ard Hotel De La Valle!haha.The guy who took our reservation was very nice though, not like the lady from Tiquetonne!Yah de la valle is EUR60 per night.No choice, have to take it cuz i have scroll through all the websites i can get hold of and nothing beats this hotel with gd review, gd location and an ok price.So is the food from the chinese restaurant good?My sis adviced me not to eat chinese food in Europe.She merely ate some sweet and sour pork plus veg and it cost her SG$20+.She said fish and chips is a gd choice.: )

catepillar

alhana

Thanks for the info. if i'm not wrong i think the red light district is further up north, nearer to the Strasbourg-St Denis station. i've read up a fair bit too, so far there are more pleasant feedbacks, phew! I wld think that the areas we shld really avoid is pigalle and its surroundings (got the names copied down somewhere juz couldn't find them).

lilacz

i think u may not need this now. I hv called hotel de sejour yesterday. the lady owner, Marie sounds more cheerful. her room is Euro 57 per night, no lift though.

forgot to mention that u can view the facade and neighbours (on the same and opposite sides) of the hotels through the Paris yellow pages to get some rough idea. the web addy is http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi. u juz need to key in the name and/or address of the hotel.

alhana

Hi lilacz,

Ure right to be ks in such cases. Cheap and convenient hotels are not easy to find in Paris..and becoz of that, they're very popular. Its best to book early to ensure a room, esp during the peak periods.

Oh u called De La Vallee? I didn't call..just dropped an email. I remember emailing so many hotels in Paris then..and panicking when they all came back to me saying they were fully booked. Hence my advise to be more ks!

Erm..the food's not v good :p But then again, I'm a much more fussy eater than my hubby. He enjoyed it coz he missed asian food the 2 weeks we were in Europe. We did have very good Chinese food in London tho..the roast duck and roast goose at this restaurant in Bayswater were fantastic! I've heard other travellers (Singaporeans incl) rave abt chinese food in London, so its not true tt u get crappy chinese food in Europe. In fact, I enjoyed their asian food more than the european fare. The fish and chips I had wasn't v nice..not much taste.

For the place opp De La Vallee (its just a v small shop, not even a restaurant actually..think most pple wld tabao then eat in), I remember a meal costing ard Euro4 (one rice/noodle dish + 1 meat + 1 veg incl a can of soda) It wasn't too ex. I myself was hooked on baguettes! There's this little deli right next to the entrance to De La Vallee tt sells baguettes w all sorts of fillings, pizzas etc, and I think I ate their baguettes every day :p The vegetarian baguette was AWESOME! Beats Delifrance anytime :p Sigh..wish I cld eat it now. Its quite long too...like Subway's 1 footer sandwich. Altho its not freshly made (they fill the baguettes in advance and leave it in the display), they'll retoast it for you when u buy it, and the toaster actually flattens the baguette, so tt its v easy to eat. Mmmm....

Hey, I still have the website addy for de la vallee..chk it out :

http://mapage.noos.fr/hvallee/

My mistake, I took the metro to station Les Halles, not Chatelet. Its a 3 min walk to the hotel. FYI, the doorway is very small (dun go expecting a nice doorway w a doorman like most hotels :p)..its like the doorway to the second flr of our shop houses. We almost missed it when we were trying to look for it coz the entrance was nondescript. Luckily I knew abt the "Librarie Erotique" being opp :p It became our landmark!

Hi Catepillar

Yeah, its the Starsbourg side that's sleazier. Rue St Denis stretches pretty far, and De La Vallee is located at one end, at the crossroad of Rambuteau.

alhana

Hey catepillar,

I just checked out the link u posted..Its really useful! I did chk out detailed maps online, but none actually had photos of the hotel's surroundings & facade. And looking at the map, I recalled how we just walked all the way down fr our hotel to Notre Dame..just walking down 1 straight line. Paris is so easy to navigate.

lilacz

Thanks caterpillar, the map will be very useful for me!

Hi alhana, i will definately try out the baguettes, im a pastries person so im in fact looking forward to all those french pastries!

lilacz

Hello girls,

Wonder any of u went to the restaurant at Effiel Tower?I heard that its actually rather cheap for the restaurant on level 4 and its quite a sight from there.

a2002

I went to a chain restaurant called Chez Papa in Paris. It is a very popular restaurant that serve authentic French food. I had my dinners there everyday when I was there after my first dinner.
The foie gras, roast goose, escargoes are simply delicious. Beware of the salad! It is a huge portion, enough as a meal. When we were there, we thought the people there usually will order a salad as starter, a main course, then dessert.. gosh.. the salad comes in a big big bowl. We then realised the French at the next table only had sald then dessert.. I thought they eat that much initially... I would recommend Chez Papa. Quite cheap for less than Eur20 per person with wine.

Remember in France, every bar or restaurant will select the best wine as their house wine to attract customers. So it is wise to order house wine - cheaper and it will be good. It is a wine-drinking country afterall...

june04

Hi lilacz, I went to the restaurants at Effiel Tower. Altitude 95's pricing is much cheaper than Jules Verne. Both are good but of course Jules Verne has a better ambience and view (125 meters). Food is alright; nothing really to shout about.

Take a look at http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/ the Official web site for more information on Eiffel Tower. You can even take a virtual tour on them.
happy.gif

lilacz

Thanks June04 for the info.
I heard from another friend who visited Effiel tower long ago, he mentioned that there is a restaurant on the 4th level and its cheap.Hmmm....dont see oanother restaurants other than Altitude's 95 and Jules Verne Do we need to make reservation for the restaurant?How much is the average price for things like pasta?

I went to the official website of effiel tower, they mentioned the rates in terms of the level.So if i pay the highest price to go top floor, does it mean that this price allow me to go to all the levels or i have to pay each time i go up on level?

alhana

Hi lilacz,

U will pay the entrance fees at the base of the tower. If u wanna go all the way up, you'll just pay the most expensive rate. Dun hafta pay each time u go up a level. The highest rate will give u access to all lvls.

lilacz

Hello girls,

Im backed from my trip!Thanks to all of you who have provided useful info that makes planning much more easier.Alhana & caterpillar, thanks for recommending hotel de la valle and Tiquetonne.I have stayed in both.Tell u all something, duno is it a coincidence or what, when i was staying in Tiquetonne, me and a friend had very bad nightmares.It felt so real that it still freaks me out thinking abt it.Their dog is quite cute though its very big.:p

In southern france we stayed in apt.It was quite lovely and cosy, esp the one in Venice.Went up to Switzerland too.It was freezing!

Generally it was a much enjoyable trip, just abit tiring cuz we walked alot alot!My sneakers even wear off from the the walking.Off all the places i have visited, think i will go back to Amsterdam and Paris if i have the chance.

Caterpillar, u shd be leaving for your trip soon right, enjoy!!!
happy.gif

lilacz

Hi Weoseek,

Sorry i do not have the itinerary cuz its done in parts among me and my friends.We just print out our individual parts and the rest i only have in hardcopy.Which part of Europe r u going?I can try to provide as much as info as i can here.

alhana

Hi Lilacz

Welcome back! How did u find both hotels :p Location good right? For that kinda price and location, I think both are a steal. Tell us more abt ure trip!

Yeah, when we were in Paris n UK, our feet really hurt from all that walking. My hubby had to massage my feet every nite. Poor thing :p But Europe is best explored on foot...and its so easy to get ard using their subways, trains, buses and of coz on our own 2 feet
happy.gif