Orchard Parade Hotel-Club Chinos

hwee

Hi Pang Pang,

If you are already more or less settled for Sheraton, don't give yourself extra headaches thinking of another venue lah! I have been to Hyatt for wedding dinner before and it's quite a nice place, food acceptable too... but I heard that the event pple there were not very friendly nor willing to compromise. Also, there are a number of ballrooms there and only 1 has a nice and private reception area.

If you don't mind the ballroom at Sheraton, it should be quite a good place.. v.near MRT, nice reception area and good food from Li Bai!

My friend were telling me to get a fortune teller or temple to calculate the date for me and my bf. But we thought we will just tentatively book 1 date and then change it if necessary when the tong shu is out. If you don't mind, can you let me know what horoscope is you & your bf? We have so much in common and maybe we are of the same horoscope too! fyi, I'm rabbit, my bf is rat.

For honeymoon, I hope to go to Japan. I really like that place a lot and have been there twice already. My bf got a friend there and we put up at his place in Tokyo and travel to the other perfectures. During the last two time, we visited Hokkaido, Amori, Osaka and Hakata all by ourselve! If I get to go there again, I will want to go to Nagasaki. See...I also very cheapskate.. save $$ in honeymoon by putting up in others place. Heehee....

Actually, it not very true that travel price during holidays are higher. I notice that there are more competition during holidays and sometime, you pay lesser. During off-peak period, one worry is that the trip may be cancelled as there are insufficient gp members. My friend has to change his honeymoon to Free & Easy travel during the last minute as the group cannot be formed!

P

pang pang

Hi Hwee,

U are right. I think I will just settle on Sheraton and get it off my mind.

You are 25 going 26 this year rt? Really envy u... so young... I am ox and hubby is pig. So I am actually 2 yrs older than u...

Hv not been to Japan. But heard that it is a very nice place but expensive though... Heard that the things are very expensive over there. If I go there, sure end up can see cannot buy... very gan kor one u know???

By the way, I think 1st June 2002 shd be a very ideal date for ur bf and u given your bf's occupation as a teacher. U know something, my cousin went to the same fortune teller and he gave her this date too. Since my fortune teller as well as the chinese calendar has both indicated that 1/6/2002 is a gd date, it shd be so.

I am thinking of going to the fortune teller to ask if 2/6/2002 is a gd date too as I would most probably be holding my dinner on 2/6/2002. If it is not a gd date, I wld have to hold my customary on 1/6/2002 and dinner on the next day.

What do u think of holding wedding over 2 days? Gd thing is that it is not so rush and can prolong the event (or is it torture?) Bad thing is that may have to incur more cost for car rental, hand bouquet...

hwee

Hi Pang Pang,

According to the Chinesefortune Calendar, 2 Jun 02 is also a good date! But to play safe, better ask the fortune teller. Which fortune teller did you go to and how much does he charge? I kind of worry of the date (1 Jun 02) which we picked without going through my bf parents. Not sure whether they are ok with it or not, somehow feel that we did not respect their seniority, but I can't wait for the tong shu to pick my date as all the good dates/hotels will have been booked by then!

BTW, it is very common to have customary on 1 day and banquet on the next day, esp for those who are having a church wedding. But I personally prefer to settle everything in 1 day, as I do not want to trouble or cause inconvenience to my friend & relatives as some of them may have to come for both days! Also, you have to pay additional price for makeup & photographer. However, my friend (who had hers in Hyatt) checked it to the hotel on the first day and then hold their banquet on 2nd day (hyatt give 2 nights stay) and therefore she did not incur additional cost for car rental and bouquet as she don't need all these things anymore.

Japan is not that expensive as what many think lah! Some things in Japan is expensive and some are cheap. Food is about the same price as Japenses restaurant in Singapore. There is also this 5 story shop in Tokyo that sells every item for 100yen (S$1.40) and I alway bought back lots of titbits, ornaments, and household items! The GST there is 5% and unlike S'pore, their prices are always before GST. It's a very lively place and you were not get bored even without shopping!

Last night, my bf also told me that his friend who is stationed in Japan will be making a trip back to attend our ROM next week!!! Really very touched and feel bad that he actually take the time off to come to our ROM! In fact he just came back recently and returned to Japan last week.

P

pang pang

Hi Hwee,

I went to the chinesefortune calendar and saw that 2/6/2002 is a good date too. The fortune teller that I went to was operating from his flat in Circuit Road. Heard that he used to operate at Bugis area. He is abt 80 yrs old and has been in this line for abt 20 yrs. In fact, most of my relatives go to him whenever they want auspicious dates for house moving, weddings...

He charges $40 only and he is quite detailed when checking the dates. If u want the contact, let me know ok? So have u told your bf's parents abt the date? Are they ok with it? My MIL is ok with any dates as long as it is a weekend. Actually, we were the ones who want to consult a fortune teller for a gd date. quite ban tan rt?

Any idea why photographers charge more if event is split over 2 days? I thot that they would still need to make 2 trips whether it is over 1 day or 2? Maybe there are some other reasons which we do not know. As for car rental and hand bouquet, I understand that some brides do not carry hand bouquet for the dinner. Didn't really noticed if they do carry... if it is true, then I can save on the hand bouquet for the dinner.

Also we were thinking of driving our own car to the hotel on the banquet day to save on the car rental. Don't know if it is weird not to have any bridal car parked at the front of the hotel when the wedding is held there...

Your bf's friend is really nice to come all the way here for your ROM. How many friends have u invited to attend your ROM? Hv u decided on a place to host lunch after the event is over? Hv u gotten your rings? Sorry for the many qns... I kpo lor... if haven't get rings, better get now while the GSS is going on. May be able to get some gd buys.

hwee

Pang Pang,

I don't think it's wired without a bridal car at the entrance of the hotel! U can actually drive yours and save the $$ for better use!

I understand that they charge extra for photographers as the photographer could have worked for 2 couples in 2 days, instead of 1 couple for two days. May have to pay more for their transport too. I thought you have it on 1 day, the photographer should be with u for the entire day. Have you got an actual day photographer already? I got mine at $500 from my bridal boutique for 10 rolls of film (developing in 3R). Is this expensive?

Do you know when should we get the studio/outdoor photos taken? If mine is on 1 Jun 02, do you think it's too early to get them taken in Late Dec, or too late to take it in mid Mar 02? See lah, can only get them taken during school holidays. Do you think it's wired to take photo esp outdoor ones on weekends? Worried that it is too crowded! Have you any idea where to go for outdoor photography?

For my ROM, there will be about 25 friend and relative attending. My bf say it's a very big crowd, but I personally thought it's quite small. We have gotton our wedding bands before Chinese New Year (very KS) and it has been lying there for 5 month already! After our ROM, we have booked Tunch at Hotel Excelsior. No honeymoon
sad.gif

P

pang pang

Hi Hwee,

Thanx for your advice. Think it's more practical to spend the $ for car rental on photography.

Hv not looked for an actual day photographer. Not vv sure if my bridal studio has any gd photographers. Was thinking of journalistic photos but so far the quotes are at least abt 2x that of normal photos. Not very sure if we are willing to part with that kind of $$$. But the journalistic photos are really nice. The extra charge for 2 days photography is at least $80 more.

I think the bridal studio is charging u reasonably. I remember reading somewhere that there is a studio that charges $600 for 6 rolls of film. But not sure if it is 3R or 4R...

I think the norm to take studio and outdoor photos is 3 mths b4 actual day. I think it shd not be a prob to take it more than 3 mths fr actual day. In fact, I think it is better to give more allowance... I think mid Mar 2002 might be a bit late if the norm is 3 mths. Think that Dec is a better time but must bear in mind the wet weather during Dec. It is very "lei cheh" to go around in your gown in a wet weather. Do check w your studio on their availability too. The thing with taking photos during wkends is that there will be alot of pple who will be looking at u. If u don't mind and can still smile naturally, then it shd not be a prob. I very kpo one... everytime I see a bridal couple taking pics, I will look and look and look...I will look at the couple lah, the gown lah... blar blar blar... Also whether the place will be crowded or not is dependent alot on the location. If u take at Raffles Place or Millenia Walk, may not be that crowded during wkends.

Hv been visiting bridal websites and these are my findings :

1) Parliament House
2) Inside MRT train
3) In MRT station
4) Millenia Tower
5) Fort Canning
6) Supreme Court
7) In a pub
8) Telok Blangah Hill
9) Mount Faber
10) Mohameed Sultan
11) Boat Quay
12) Labrador Park

Wow, it's really gd to have ROM on a Sat cos more pple can attend. I had mine on a wkday and I very pai seh to invite friends cos that would mean that they have to apply for leave in order to attend my ROM.

No honeymoon never mind lah...u will be able to save more for your Japan honeymoon next year mah... I also don't have honeymoon after ROM. Always thot that customary is more impt than ROM... so save up the $$$ for a bigger honeymoon after banquet lor...

hwee

Wow Pang Pang... u really did your homework!!!! Didn't know that there are so many places to take outdoor pictures. But how to take them in a MRT train?? A lot of pple will be looking at you isn't it?

I once saw a portfolio from Julia Wedding News and there is this couple who went to a place to take a picture of a TREE. The tree was very in a very nice umbrella shape and there is only 1 tree in that whole field! It's very nice, but don't know where this tree is. Also, I thought it will also be very nice to take pictures near the airport runway, where plane takes off... Some couple took their at some roof top...U know where in Singapore is there roof tops where we can assess?

BTW, is you like journalistic type, I think The Edge is quite good at this. quite exp.... I remembered that you will need 2 photographers, one for B/W photo, the other for coloured photo. Not sure whether my bridal company can do that for me... it wasn't stated in the booking form. Will check with them!

Oh yes, I planned my ROM and banquet all on weekend, so that my friends don't have to take leave. My parents also prefer it to be more "crowded" during such a happy occasion. Next week, at this timing, i will probably be on my way to ROM and change my status to a "Huang Lian Po" (Yellow Faced Woman) heehee...

So u signed up with Sheraton already?

P

pang pang

Hi Hwee,

I remember seeing one of the portfolio whereby the setting is that in a MRT train. Can't remember which photographer took that shot... find it very unique and nice. Maybe u can check with the MRT personnel if it is possible to do that and if there is any fees involved.

Sometimes when I visit those bridal websites, I would jot down the participants' comments on banquet venue, bridal studio, photographer, cosmetics... in fact, I have a book on this. As these feedback is very valuable esp since it is first hand, I thot that it is gd to jot it down, if not, next time when I need the info, I might not be able to remember when to find it. So do let me know if you need anything and I can refer to my "zhen cang"... Maybe I can publish a book on this... : )

When I saw your posting on the TREE, my thots turned to the movie "Hai Zi Shu"... But I'm sure the tree must be quite nice, not like the one in Hai Zi Shu rt?

Not sure where can we find open roof top houses near to the airport in S'pore. But HK does have alot, though... they always show it in the TV serials... : )

I think the price that your bridal studio has quoted u is for normal photography. Journalistic photos start from at least $1k. Maybe u can ask if they do journalistic and how much extra will that be.

U getting excited already or not? Next wk this time, u will be known as Mrs XXX. Not huang lian po lah... as long as u are still working and financially indept, u will not be a huang lian po one... somemore cannot so early become huang lian po if not next yr 1st June will not be mei mei already.

I have signed up with Sheraton this morning. This is the first time that we have met up with Roger and he is really nice. We talked and talked and talked until we forgot to pay depo. Really blur blur hor...until when we have shaken hands with him and was abt to leave when he suddenly realised that we have signed the contract but haven't pay deposit. Really ma lu then... segari he think we purposely don't want to place depo.

I think we are drifting further and further from the original topic and seems like it is only both of us chit-chatting over this page. Maybe we should consider chatting over email or start another topic which is more relevant. : )

hwee

Hi Pang Pang,

U can e-mail to me at [email protected]

I'm glad for u that u have finally settled on your banquet! I understand u can get to design your own menu isn't it?

Well, rather than being excited over my ROM, I'm more worried about it, like parking problem, and photographer (my photographer friend cannot make it last minute) . Probably have to get my other friends to help us take photo using my idiot-proof camera!

Do drop me a mail anytime u are free!

P

pang pang

Hi Hwee,

Yes, settling the banquet is one thing off my mind. At least can idle around till end of this year before I start to get busy with bridal gown, photoshoot and the wedding preparations.

Yes, we will get to design the menu by selecting from the major categories. I find their fish selection and desert selection quite gd. At least for fish, we can get to choose cod fish which is uncommon in wedding banquets. Sometimes think abt it, choose all the nice dishes also don't get to eat... so sad esp when I am a food lover.

Heard from my friend that when she had her wedding at Hilton, they actually kept the food for her and bring up to the bridal suite after the banquet. Any idea if this is a common practice? But unfortunately, the food is not heated up and it is quite cold.

Don't get too worried abt the ROM. Chuan dao qiao dou zi ran zhi... no point getting worried abt it since u can't do anything. By the way, why are u worried over parking prob? There is a big car park near to ROM, so parking shd not be a prob rt? As for the photos, don't worry too much abt it. If you are worried, then try to get your friends to bring more cameras on that day so that u don't rely entirely on one camera. Don't let all this spoil your BIG day, ok?

My email address is [email protected]

Will email you starting from the next conversation, ok?

Do keep me posted on your ROM, hor?

meimei

Hi OPH gals,
Can you give me some comments on the food, service, ballroom deco in OPH ? I know that the food is catered Club Chinos. Has anyone gone for food tasting ? How about the bridal suite at OPH ?
Will the 2 pillars in the ballroom block any view - will 25 tables be too crowded in the ballroom.
Any comments on the wedding deco, flowers etc ?

fair

Dear meimei,

Just went for my food tasting recently. The food was above average, better than other hotels. Bridal suite I should say is so-so only, but it certainly can contain many people. If 25 tables is too crowded in this ballroom, I think my banquet will be Sardine in a pack 'cause I have 30 + 2 tables. 25 tables sounds just fine for the size of the banquet room.

Regards,
Fair

katie

hi Fair,

How do you find Eric? Is he a flexible guy to bargain for some freebies? I tok to him once. I do not know whether is he the type of person that you can squeeze some freebies from?? Any advise for me??

meimei

Hi Katie,Fair
I met Eric once. He was quite willing to add some frebies if you voice your concerns. E.g. he gave me 30 litre barrel of beer free, in addition, he was willing to chip in the rolls royce for 12 hours on your actual wedding day at no cost.
My only concern is the service as the waiters and waitresses will come from Club Chinos and not the hotel. Has anyone attended a wedding there to comment on their service ?

How about their wedding deco, I did not really like the carpet in the ballroom initially - a kind of metallic blue which looks a bit cold. I would really like a cosy and romantic ambience that night. Fair, have you seen their wedding deco - any advice ? How was your package like (pricing etc) When is your wedding ?

katie

hi meimei,

which package are you looking at which he gave you 30 litre barrel of beer free and free use of the Roll Royce?? He never mention these to me...mayb that time, I dun look serious to him.

I have seen the ballroom, small with low ceiling, plain backdrop for stage but kinda look cosy (mayb it is small ballroom)

hwee

Hi,

I have booked OPH for my wedding on a Sat next year. I didn't succeed in getting much freebies from Eric, other than the following:

1. Use of $500 discount from The Wedding Fair.
2. Reduction of minimun booking to 23 tables ( instead of 25 tables).
3. $50 discount for each barrel of beer.

Maybe becos I have a small gp and the date is quite popular. However, Eric did offer me a barrel of beer if I were not to use the $500 discount and also if I stick to the min requirement for 25 tables. Also he will further offer the Rolls Royce if you take the $650 menu.

I went there 2 times to view the venue. 1st time when they are preparing for the dinner and another time after the dinner commence. Frankly speaking, the ballroom isn't impressive when I first view it. But it does look quite nice and cosy the 2nd time I went down cos the lights were dimmed down and the atmosphere is quite nice. Actually, you can't see much of the carpet after the lights are dimmed down. There is no blocking if the you do not exceed 28 tables.

meimei

Hi gals,
I was deciding between the package Superior and Deluxe (I think it is the package 600++ and 680++). Have not confirmed with him then as we were still looking at other hotels.When we went to view the ballroom, there was no wedding setup hence it looked really plain and with the pillars.

We are going down tonight to view a wedding to get a better feel. Will update you then.

C

ct

Meimei, OPH is having a wedding show this Sunday so you might want to check with them if they are offering a discount or some special package. Usually they are very easy going on wedding shows becoz they don't want to create a scene from declining your proposals. Just a thot.

hwee

Hi Meimei,

I felt that it is not worth paying another $80++ for the Deluxe package as the menu is not much better other than the fish and dessert. Many guest would also have left even before taking their dessert!

Also, it's best to view the venue, both before and after the dinner starts. The ballroom definitely look much better with the lighting effects.

BTW, when is your wedding and which other hotels are you considering?

meimei

Hi CT,
Do you know how can I register for the wedding show at OPH this Sunday - not sure if it is too late. Please let me know.

Hi Hwee,
Yep, thoughts exactly. I would be choosing the Superior package if I select OPH as not much difference in the package except the menu. The Superior package menu is pretty alright.

The other hotels that I have looked at are MM, Grand Plaza, Orchard Hotel, Hilton Hotel.
So far, for weekend package, I find MM and GP pretty good. Can't fit into Hilton's smaller ballroom and can't meet the grand ballroom's min tables. OH and MM is same price but MM looks like a better deal. GP is not too bad as well but not many people heard of this hotel. Any advice ?

I am looking at around 25 tables and on a weekend in Oct to Dec 2002. When is your wedding date ?

hwee

Hi Meimei,

My wedding will be in Jun 02. Coincidentally, I have view the ballrooms of the hotel you are interested too. Do look out for the following when deciding:

MM's small ballroom isn't impressive as well. It is converted from a restaurant, as such, it really do not look like a ballroom. I don't like the glass windows and the thin curtain as other can see thru it. No privacy! But I would say their staff are very nice and professional!

For OH, they have more than 1 ballroom and hence, there maybe more than 1 wedding on 1 day. Guests will get confused and you will need to get some helpers to give directions. The stage deco is very cheena too.

For GP, it's quite nice. The suite is very very nice! 2 storey! Worth considering. However, I eventually decided on OPH as it is more well known to people compared to GP and I foresee most pple know it's location better.

You can also consider HIPV? My friend booked with them and I find their very reasonable and attractive!

meimei

Hi hwee,
Wow, you have exactly the same thoughts as I do with those hotels. In fact, I am kind of narrowing down to MM, GP. Wanted to take a look at OPH and Crown Prince as well. My FH and I liked GP a lot but it is not very well-known. MM's package is very comprehensive and I did not really mind the ballroom as I don't have many tables so it should not be too cramp.
I saw HIPV and it is true that the package is very attractive - with free flow beer, seat covers and the ballroom is not too bad as well. But I find that the hotel looks a bit old as compared to the rest of the hotels in town area. So will like to look at other hotels b4 deciding. Decisions, decisions .......
Do you get to choose the wedding deco for OPH ? eg flowers, how did you find the stage deco and the centrepiece on each table ?

hwee

Hi Meimei,

The flower stand looks slightly different (nicer) from that in their brouchures. I find the gold backdrop nicer as it contrast well with the white material deco. Overall, I find it simple and acceptable. BTW, there are two choice for backdrop (gold or white) and Flower stand ( White or red lilies.

As for the centrepiece for guest tables, it will only be a vase and a stalk of rose (similar for MM's centrepiece). I may be replacing the single stalk rose with candles at my own cost.

Also, I noticed that they do not provide chopstick stand for the guest tables. I asked Eric and he mentioned that he can try to arrange for this, but no promise. Eric also told me that they are proposing their management to change the seat covers to those which you can tie a knot behind. Not sure if this has been implemented.

meimei

Hi Hwee,
It sounds pretty nice from what you describe. Did you choose the gold backdrop or white backdrop ? The gold one seems to look nice. I'll have to see for myself tonight. Do they provide sash for the seat covers for VIP tables only or on all tables ?
Do you know which florist they are using for the wedding deco ? I agree that I could not really visualise from the brochures that he showed me.

I just called Eric to ask about the wedding show on Sunday at OPH. He said that there will be some promotion perks during the show if you make a booking on that day. I'll be meeting him to get the invitation card. Are you going ?

Have you signed up for any bridal package already ?

hwee

I would say that it is not bad lah, but you got to see it yourself cos my taste maybe different from yours!

I won't be attending this Sun show, cos I have already signed up with them. So I doubt he will throw in anymore things for my package. Do enjoy yourself and keep me informed of your findings!

C

cat13

Hi,

When I went for the 2nd view'g in OPH, they hv rose n gerbera(hope correct spelling - African dasiy)for the flower stand. Eric said I could liaise with the florist the colour n types of flowers I preferred subjected to availability n agreement fr the florist. But I think the types of flowers are only restricted to roses, gerbera n lilies.
happy.gif

meimei

Hi cat13,
Did you ask Eric about if they provide sash on the seat covers ? How about the stage deco ?

Hi Hwee,
Did you get food tasting FOC or at a discount ?

hwee

I got food tasting a 50% discount. I think I really don't have much bargaining power given that he has already reduce the min booking to 23 tables for me.

As for the saah, I remembered it is not provided. I signed up in Jun this year and it has been quite some time, hopefully they have made some improvement!

meimei

Hi Hwee,
I think its a great idea to replace the centrepiece flowers with candles. It creates a really romantic ambience. Where do you get them - are you decorating them yourself or getting someone to help you ?

C

cat13

Hi Meimei,

If I d not remembered wrongly, they hv a plastic rose as a sash during the 1st view'g. Quite cheena though.
On the 2nd view'g I did not c any sash. I had 5 frenz with me to look at the ballrm b4 sign'g up cos I also felt that the deco is too simple. Eric was very understanding n dun even mind so many of my frens there. So happen they r hv'g a wed'g that nite n I shall say the deco seem better than the 1st time. Mayb its the theme. All my frenz commended tat the deco overall is ok n the place is very cosy.

I agree tat the stage is quite plain n we may ask him to put up our names but it cost $50. Hv ask to change some of the dishes too but Eric advised we do the tast'g 1st n decide later.

hwee

Hi Meimei,

Yes I will probably buy do the candles. Can look out for it in $1.99 shops. No need to have too nice ones. Get a plain dish, fill with water and some petals and place the candle there! Also do note that there is additional cost for the projector is you do not have one!

Cat13 - It's no loner "in" to have your names on the stage liao! Actually the stage not very big and nothing much can be seen after placing the speaker stand, champagne glass and dummy cake! So don't need to waste the $$! When is your wedding?

meimei

Hi Hwee, cat13,
The candle in the dish sounds a lot like GP's deco. They had a champagne bowl with candles and flower petals in it - very romantic.

Just came back from viewing a wedding at OPH, quite pleased with the overall setting. They have a stalk of real rose on the centrepiece table. You have the option to choose between gold, or white backdrop. Saw the gold one and it looks nice. They have option of white or tiger lilies togther with roses for the flowers by the aisle. There will be thick candles on those flowers as well. Quite a cosy and romantic feeling.

I went twice to see the wedding - once b4 the wedding and when the wedding commence. The stage is quite simple - agree with Hwee that it is too small for anything else. Noticed that there is no ice carvings. Found the table top for VIP tables rather cheena with the chilli red table cloth. Eric said that there is an option to change to either gold or cream colour table cloth. Guess what gals, he said that there will be sash for the seat covers for VIP tables !!!!
But he refused to give sash for all tables - too expensive. He seems to be flexible with the wedding deco - we can actually liase with the florist directly to tell them what flowers we want if within budget. Anything else, they will charge a separate cost.
Went up to see the suite - junior suite - quite disappointing as it looks small with no separate living room area. May consider upgrading to the executive suite (with living room area) if the difference is too much (I think add'l $100) then will have room for the helpers and makeup artist.
But this hotel looks new - just renovated 3 years ago. The Chinos chef is a famous chef according to my FH - Suser Lee - was interviewed in Channel News Asia b4 so I guess the food should be better than most hotels.

Will be checking out GP, MM and Crown Prince b4 deciding. Eric gave me a complimentary pass to the wedding show this Sunday. He said that if we booked a date on that day , there will be add'l perks - like free flow beer, some discounts but he's not willing to say until we confirm. So looking forward.

There will be an operations mgr on the day of wedding to oversee the whole thing.

Did you gals confirm the menu when you sign the contract - what should I look out for in the contract ?? What if we want to change some of the menu dishes - is Eric flexible ?

lilian

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if anyone of you might be interested to take over my wedding dinner package (Club Chinois) for 28 September 2002 (Saturday). It is an auspicious date (22nd day of 8th lunar month) & the booking is for 28 tables at a price of $600++/table ($62.4 pax).

The package also includes a 30-litre barrel beer, free food tasting for 10, waiver of corkage for 24 bottles wine. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we now need to look for someone to transfer the package, or express interest to Eric (the banquet mgr) regarding booking of that day.

We have paid a deposit of $2060 and are willing to transfer at below cost if necessary. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you or your friends might be interested in this offer. THANKS!

hwee

Hi Meimei,

Can't really recall seeing the candle centrepiece is at GP! But this only 1 of the idea I had.

BTW, did you attend the show on Sunday? What other perks are they giving? I think I have to "bang my heart" liao, esp after I seen the package Lilian got! My package didn't even include free food tasting!

meimei

Hi Hwee,
Yes, I went for the wedding show yesterday and signed up already !!!
Sorry Lilian, I only read your message this morning and I wanted the $680++ package as my FH is particular about the food and want to give the better menu for our guests. As it is still within our budget so we don't mind.
Yes, there are a few free perks during the show. If you sign up for a weekday on a non peak season (like during 7th month), they gave 15% discount on the bill or free flow beer or 2 cartons of wine. You can choose either one option.

We did not liked those dates hence further asked for something else. We got the date that we wanted in Nov. Got a 30 litre beer and exchange food tasting for upgrading our suite to a larger suite and some other perks. We found the junior suite too small hence upgrade to a larger suite.

Did you specify the theme (gold or white etc) that you will be using in the contract ? When do you decide on the theme to use - is it 1 month before the wedding ? What should you look out for when you sign the contract - e.g. barrel of beer, etc. Should we ask Eric to mention all items that are not given in the standard package ???

Yes, I will be adding a few wedding deco at my own costs - which will talk to the florist on our own. Their florist is at Heerem and we went down to see them that day as well.

sweetiee

Hi Hwee,

Dun "bang" your heart lah, I also never get the free food tasting! Hiya, sometimes it's best not to compare...
happy.gif
What to do, I signed up even before I got the $500 wedding fair voucher.

meimei

Hi hwee, sweetie,

Yah, don't be too bang. I did not get any $500 wedding fair voucher as well. And there is always a catch for those freebies they give. Like must be non peak season and weekdays. I did not get those as mine is peak and weekends but exchanged for something else.

sweetiee

Hi meimei,

Ya lor, I agree.
happy.gif
At least we managed to get quite a popular date so after all, it's give and take.
happy.gif

So when's your big day?
happy.gif

meimei

Hi sweetie,
Mine is on 10 Nov 2002. How about yours ? Did you choose your theme when you sign your contract ? Did you ask Eric if they change their deco every year ? Should we ask Eric to specify everything that he promised in the contract (that is all not stated in the standard contract ?? ) What should I look out for ?

hwee

Yah loh, no choice lah! But now when I think back, at least I got the date I wanted. I beleive the date would have been taken if I were to wait till now!

BTW, last Sat, my MIL went there for a wedding dinner as well! Will check with them on the standard of the banquet! Maybe, I will also not go for food tasting if the menu is the same!

meimei

Hi hwee,
Don't have to worry about the food quality. I tasted their dim sum during the wedding show yesterday and it was good. Read in the forum of those who held their weddings at OPH before and so far it is very consistent that no complaints on the food and most said it is good.My FH is going for a wedding next week at OPH and will asked him to check out the food and ambience. That's why we did not ask for food tasting. What I am worried is the wedding ambience - generally it is quite cosy but the ceiling is not high and the stage could be higher.

Do you think they will change their wedding theme next year ?

sweetiee

Hi meimei,

Mine is fast approaching... on 1st Jan 2002, new year day.
happy.gif
Actually the last time when Eric showed me the 2 decor themes they have, one is red and one is white... so most probably I'll go for the white theme... but dunno whether there's another change, after all, mine is the 1st banquet they'll have next year!
happy.gif

Yes, always ask him to state in the contract. It goes the same for the bridal package as well...
happy.gif

Anyway I should be calling Eric soon to discuss abt our dinner since the big day's drawing near... so will exchange notes with you gals or keep you updated.
happy.gif

meimei

Hi sweetiee,
I think they have 3 themes - white, red and gold.
I like the gold one - gold backdrop and champagne colour table top for vip tables. Looked really nice. There will be a sash tied on the seat covers for the vip tables as well. Liked the flower cum candle arrangements on the vip tables. You probably need to decide on the flowers that u want by the aisle. Did you state which theme you want when you sign the contract ???

serene

Hi Sweetiee & meimei!

I knew you two will be corresponding very actively via the Forum, so i kpo and "sit in"...

meimei, I told you Sweetiee is very helpful (& a sweetiee she is!!)

meimei

Hi serene,
Yep, I signed up for OPH over the weekend. What a relief for my FH and me. We were so tired of looking at all the hotels in orchard and looking at the wedding setups over the weekend, finally decided yesterday at the wedding fair. My FH and me are gonna rest for 1 week or 2 before we start our "hunt" for bridal packages. We attended Wedding News and Wedding Present shows over the weekend. Overall view is Wedding News have very beautiful wedding gowns but we did not really like their outdoor pictures. Wedding Present's WG is not as nice as Wedding News.
Both offer some promotion packages during the wedding show but we did not sign up for any as too preoccupied with choosing the hotel venue. Still
trying to get over my decision as it happened really fast.....

sweetiee

Hi meimei,

So you must be the one who emailed me ya?
happy.gif
Anyway, glad to know that you signed up with OPH... Can understand the sourcing is a tiring process. Me and my hubby basically decided real fast, coz we were also tired of the searching process.

For the decor, we haven't firmed that up yet. Will speak to Eric soon and confirm. The last time when we signed up in March he said we needn't confirm so soon.

BTW if you think Wedding News gowns are nice, why not consider Julia Wedding News? (Ha ha, Serene, I know you must be thinking me promoting for them again...
happy.gif
) But frankly, I'm quite happy with their service... and photography wise is excellent. Will email you some pics to show you.
happy.gif

hwee

Hi Sweetie,

I want to see your photo also! Can??? I did visit JWN before signing up with another bridal shop! I like their photos too! My e-mail is [email protected]

Hi Meimei,

You mentioned that we can tied up with their florist seperately. Do you mean we can change the flower stands along aisle? I was also thinking of buying rose petals either for the aisle or the guest along the aisle to throw. Do keep me posted with your FH observation on the wedding dinner he is attending next week!

BTW, do you gals think it is a old fashion thingy to have dry ice during the march-in?

hwee

Hi Sweetie,

Actually saw your ROM and Aust picture b4! Heehee....I very kpo hor!
happy.gif

I signed up with Thomsom Wedding D'sign. Will be taking my photos in Dec!

hwee

Hi Sweetie,

Got it liao! Very nice!!!! I like the one at the sofa! Is that JWN's studio? Where did you go for outdoor photography?