Novotel Clarke Quay

fly05

Cheeky_chick,

No lah, tat means i was prepare to lose $6k (including give table to bride side), forgot about the $3k deposit, coz that to me is sunk cost liao...haha..but it is not lah..

I dun mean my helpers stand me out lah..they all quite on one...just talk in general...coz i hear my make-up artist mention alot of all these things to me mah...

Tell them new otani no use one lei, just tell them beside daimaru, maybe print that in your wedding inserts, i forgot to include tat, i put (formerly Known as New Otani) - which is not much use lah..

irritant

it's actually above daimaru...

to me the deposit is part of the banquet cost...so the $5k i'm prepared to lose is outside of the deposit

aiya...if dunno wan to come sure would call to find out lar....dun worry too much...but if your wedding is on weekday pls ask them come by river valley and not outram else they have to pay ERP twice.

note F1 road closures if having banquet between 22-27...sure jam at that area

irritant

yeah...that's still the name...just that since last time not many ppl call it by that name...always hear daimaru only...but i'm sure some will know it...

happinessbliss

My AD is on 27 Sept 2008 (2nd day of F1).... that area will not be jammed, but however do inform yr guests abt the roadblocks and the road to avoid...I'm glad my hubby did it in advance as most of our guests drives...

For helpers, I have 2 jie meis who stood me up the very last min... yes when u are prepring a wedding, u will see the true colors of yr frds... even those u think are "true frds"...

But my advise to all BTB and GTB is to enjoy yr AD... any hiccups is actually normal... there is no such thing as a "perfect" wedding... we do have some hiccups during my AD that were resolved quickly... hubby and myself were not too bothered by it...even when we think back and talk abt it, it becomes a joke and we laugh abt it... a wedding is suppose to bring u good memories ... so relax and enjoy the day...
happy.gif

irritant

ah...good for u...i believe the jam depends on which direction you are coming from. if coming from outram more likely to jam then coming from river valley. if ppl r worried clarke quay mrt is quite nearby...

i will get more brothers just in case...if all turn up is good too since my WTB could have more than 10 jie meis...

most of my WTB's jie meis are vetertans already...they should be able to help us handle hiccups...my brothers would be mostly green horns though...

ixoral

for those with wedding in late 2009, u guys 'chope' your xiongdis and jiemeis already ah? i know there are definitely 1 or 2 gd friends whom without a doubt will be helping, but what abt the rest? do u actually invite them to be your XD and JM as of now alr?

cheekychick

Aroh, i'm not very worried they cannot find the place...cos i've been requested to charter buses already. You mean if drive to NCQ via outram on weekday will kenna ERP twice but weekend wont?

Ixoral, mine also late 2009...i never really chope...very close frens cfm will help out and for the rest, i did ask them if they can help out already and they say of cos lar, so advance notice, lol. But im prepared if anyone of them cannot make it the last min...if anyone cannot make it, then i will juz make do with the rest, dun plan to ask for more helpers to 'fill up' places. Maybe you can let them noe when is your AD and juz casually ask if they would be ok to be ur jiemeis if they can make it
happy.gif
If year-end, they may have holiday plans or wat lor...

irritant

there's one ERP at Outram MRT there and there's one in front of Clarke Quay MRT. Timing I cannot remember but weekday 6-8pm sure got 2 ERP on. Weekend I'm not sure. Have to check www.onemotoring.com.sg

But if coming from River Valley road (exit CTE Clemenceau) then only kena the one in front of NCQ then do a U turn in front of ex-MoS. this is confirmed. Rates and on or not depends on the day you having the banquet. Since mine is holiday i think all the ERP are off, but got $1 charge for cabs...

pannie

Hi All.

I just met up with Huiling yesterday to discuss things for the wedding day.

Saw the wedding favors.. couldn't decide whether to take the bubble soap or the handphone chain. In the end, we finally decided on the handphone chain. Not bad looking and dun see any of that during wedding dinner so far.

For the table cloth, the VIP tables, we choose the Gold colour with red sash on the chair. For the guests table, we choose silver colour. For the backdrop and ceiling sash, we choose pink colour. Really unsure it goes well with the table cloth which I have chosen. Me really not very well with colour combination.

We had also chosen the flower theme cause hubby say crystal theme too ugly. I chosen gerbera instead of roses cause i find it too common. I also used gerbera as deco for my ROM last year. Quite nice. Now is I dunno what colour gerbera to use. So I told Huiling to check with the florist on which colours would be appropriate to go with the colours tat I had chosen for the wedding venue.

Tonight will be going for food tasting. Will update again. Yummy!!

rjwedding

seems like all of u are very tensed up with the pricing.. it's never ending one.. i believe when u start talking abt wedding, you should be prepared that big part of the expenses will be for the banquet.. Prices are always going up nowadays.. I also did complain abt how come 2007 & 2008 prices difference so much.. But end of the day, we still got to pay for it right??

So don't feel too stress.. relax n enjoy the preparations.. nothing in this world is perfect.. jia you lor!!

pannie

Hi csl.

Huling never say must top up for gerbera. I asked her if I dun like roses, any other flowers to choose. Then she told me gerbera.

happinessbliss

R&amp;J < i think its bcos the banquet for yr 2009 really increase quite a fair bit.... but aren;t we glad that ours are over already? haha...

Girls < i know its hard but do try to relax abit and not be so tense up... do a thing at a time. Best is if you have a gd frd to help you out with some misc stuff... I was also pretty tense and uptight when i was planning for my wedding... it got worst when the date draws near.. but somehow i had 2 gd frds who help me out and got me to relax abit.... do enjoy the preps and of cos yr AD.. when everything is done, you will find yrself missing those days when you were doing yr preps... really!

ryanon123

most ex in 2008 is 868 i think.

but you should wait until the wedding roadshow if it's not urgent and you're on deep budget .. they usually gives better benefits like $100 rebate each table etc..

ryanon123

of all, i am most appreciative that novotel upgrade my room for free and upgrade my helper's room for free too so that it's next to each other. but it depends if the rooms are taken on that day, so you have to try your luck and request for it. no guarantee

ixoral

Ashes> yes it's really high ceiling and pillarless! if not for my tables count, i wld have taken Pheonix. Totall loved that ballroom, gives a v grand feeling + the big reception area in front.
happy.gif

rjwedding

think the difference bet 2007 &amp; 2008 also abt $80..

i also agree if can wait, wait till their wedding show for more perks..

hi ashes: pheonix ballroom is pillarless, but as for high celling, don't know how do u define high celling.. to me not very high..

pannie

Hi all.

Had just went for the food tasting. My review as follows:

1st dish - Pheonix platter - Did not get to taste the roast pig. The rest of the items - spring roll, jelly fish &amp; drunken chicken was ok. I requested for the gold coin meat to be change to roast duck. They say have to check with Huiling on it. Most prob have to top up. So the grading for this dish was FAIR.

2nd dish - Shark Fin - Was good. Just nice. But not enough roe. The restaurant say no problem to give more roe. Like the way they serve the shark fin, divide the shark fin among every bowl first before scooping the soup. Had drop Huiling an email to inform her that we would like the shark fin soup to be serve the same way for all tables. The grading for this dish was GOOD.

3rd dish - Crispy Chicken with Garlic - The skin was quite crispy, nice. But then some parts too saltish, some part no taste at all. The restaurant say it's like that, cos the chicken is marinated as a whole so would encounter such thing. Then hubby told him that the chicken front portion was saltish while the bottom isn't. Then the restaurant say they would take note of that cos it's not normal at all. Grading for this dish is FAIR.

4th dish - Steamed garoupa in hong kong style - A big mistake here to steam the fish. When the fish came out, it was huge. When the waiter is trying to seperate the fish meat from the bone, he was having such a hard time doing so. He used so much strength that I was worried that the fish bone would fly to the next table. When I taste the fish, the meat tasted too tough.. like chicken meat. My grandpa suggested we should take soon hock if we wanted steam. So we order soon hock on the spot to try which we paid for it. The meat was much nicer. Everyone said it was good. Then the restaurant side say on wedding day, finding a soon hock which is more than 1kg is difficult. If we really want soon hock, some tables might end up with 2 fishes instead of one so not very nice. The restaurant also said that the soon hock which we are eating now is nice because it is kille immediately after we ordered. But for wedding day, all the fishes would be killed on the morning itself so if steamed, would not be as nice as what we have just tasted also. They were also saying rock garoupa is not suitable for steaming. The best is to fry it and cooked in Hong Kong style. All of us felt it was safer so that the guests would not taste the unfreshness of fish if any. The grading for fish is POOR but not their fault cause we should have taken it fried.

5th dish - Deep fried yam ring with prawn stuffing and cashew nut - This was fantastic. The yam was good, prawn was fresh and cashew nut also very nice. Nothing to comment about this dish. The grading was VERY GOOD.

6th dish - Stewed Mixed Mushroon with Broccoli - Ok dish. Not too saltish. Broccoli was cooked just nice. So everyone was ok with it. The grading was VERY GOOD.

7th dish - Wok Ee fu noodles - Hubby find the texture of the noodle not too good. But MIL thought the noodle was good. The rest thought it was ok. The grading was GOOD.

8th dish - Cream of Mango and Pomelo - Everyone thought the dessert was unique. Have chuncks of mango meat inside. Quite tasty. I loved it too. Abit sour abit sweet. Quite a good complement. The grading was GOOD.

So overall food tasting was quite satisfactory. At least they didn't keep telling us it was like that one, normal one, etc etc. At least they came out with suggestions and willing to take note of it. They even asked us whether the shark fin soup was too liquid or too gluey. But it was really ok for us.

ixoral

Ann> wow thanks for the detailed feedback!

I also agree that if possible, try to sign at the wedding show. At the very least, can get $50 off per table. But if yours is those super popular dates, the advice is of cos to book as early as possible.
happy.gif

cheekychick

Aroh, thanks for the link! I must rem to refer to it again when my AD draws near so that i can warn my guests...keke....

Actually, guests wont really notice if ceiling is very high anot...even if they do notice, they won't rem...wat they will rem thou, is the food and service. Just my point of view :p

Ann, appreciate your feedback! Meaning you chose the menu w/o prawns but yam ring instead? Actually, i hate peeling prawns whenever i attend weddings...but i tink the only no-need-to-peel prawns is dat prawns with celery and cashew nuts dish rite? Btw, my hb used to work in banquets during his poly days...he mentioned that gerberas turn black easier than roses and will have a kind of smell after a period of time. Not sure how true is that really....but i love pink gerberas!

No-one choosing codfish here? Am considering to take that....

happinessbliss

Ann < I would suggest you change the fish to steam soon hock instead... i change mine to steam soon hock too... yes on the actual day some table might have 2 fishes on a plate... but my MIL and my family says it taste better... much better...

pannie

Hi ixoral.
U r welcome.

Hi Cheeky.
Yup, I totally change the prawn to yam ring. I also hate peeling prawns during wedding. Imagine u wear nice nice and then the prawn juice spilled on your dress and your fingers have seafood smell after peeling them. So decided to do away with it and change to yam ring. Yam ring also have prawns in it. So quite ok la. Haha!!

With regards to gerberas, I had used it during ROM before, it was quite ok. And my ROM was at open area, didn't turn black the way your hubby describe it. So I think air con room should be even more ok ba. That's why I went ahead to choose gerberas. The hotel come back with suggestion to choose pink gerberas ( to go with the backdrop and ceiling sash), red gerberas ( to go with chair sash) or orange gerberas ( to go with VIP table cloth of gold colour). I replied to Huiling to ask if I can choose all 3 colours. Haha!! But not sure nice or not to have all colours mixed.

Hi Happiness&amp;Bliss.
Is that so? Hmm.. maybe I try to check with our family members again to seek their opinion. I also like to change to soon hock and steamed it. I like steamed fish more than fried fish. But they felt that fried fish is safer to serve than steamed fish. Hehe!!

happinessbliss

Hi Ann,

Yup we change to steamed soon hock and it was good... ya some people will like to have fried fish instead cos they feel that it is safer... fried fish will not have very distinctive fishy smell... but we rather have steamed fish cos we have yam ring that is already fried and garlic chicken that is roasted, we are worried that it might be too "oily or gelate" for the elders... so we decide to have steamed fish... and i have to admit it was a good choice...
happy.gif

Just my suggestion...

cheekychick

Ann, same as you, i don't like to peel prawns leh....but i like to eat, wuhaahhaha! Most probably i will not choose yam paste as dessert so i guess i can consider having yam ring then
happy.gif
I love pink gerberas, haha! I tink all 3 colours would be fine....you don't like crystal ah? I think crystals quite nice too....

Anyone here noes wat are the new deco stuff they've come up with for 2009? Cos Huiling did tell me before will have new choices of deco for 2009....heh.

Anyone here has lobangs for reliable florist in the west areas? Am outsourcing my AD bouquet and car deco, hope to have some recommendations preferably from the west!
happy.gif

pannie

Hi Happiness&amp;Bliss.

Thanks for your suggestion. I also felt the same way too. But well.. see how the elders say ba.

Hi Cheeky_chick.
I dun mind peeling when at BBQ or at home but not during wedding dinner. Haha!!

My hubby dun like crystal. He say ugly.
sad.gif

ixoral

Anyone been to The Square Restuarant at NCQ b4? Ytd hb and i went down for Sunday Brunch, cos we won complimentary 2pax during the wedding show. Food is ok...not fantastic i would say. Although i saw that their Sunday Brunch is priced at $50++/pax (quite exp IMO), but really cannot compare to those higher-end buffets like Aquamarine and pricing ard the same.

As i've signed up at the wedding show, also entitled to another 4pax complimentary buffet at The Square. Now contemplating if i should bring my family there not. Cos my mom very particular one...scared she complain say i 'hao3 jie4 shao4'. haha

Anyone with same sentiments as me? =p

pannie

Hi Cheeky_chick.
In the end, Huiling say can only have 2 colours so I choose pink and red gerberas. Hopefully the colour combination would not be too ugly.

pannie

Haha!! Actually i was thinking of red and orange but then hubby say might make the environment seems like too hot.. so i choose pink and red instead.

cheekychick

Ann, at least your hubby gives his comments...if i ask mine, he will say anything. Cos when lights are off, every colour look the same. When lights are on, everyone is eating, lol....Personally, i tink red is a must, lol! Any other colours combine with red also nice...keke...

pannie

Cheeky_chick, guys are like that one. My hubby only give comments after rounds and rounds of nagging from me. I told him if he is not interested, then we don't do it. Why waste so much money when it seems like only I one person engaged in the wedding. Then might as well marry myself.

After that, he started to take interest in the wedding things. Like menu, deco, where to put the photos.. etc.

I really hope the deco will turn out good.

solidbrik

Hi frens, can someone email me what are the wedding show perks? which is the bank tie-up ah? Can also check with you which are the extra perks which you all have bargained with? thanks so much to all you kind ppl in advance!
happy.gif

[email protected]

pannie

Hey girls.

Just to check what time do you all usually ask the hotel to send up your pre dinner food? I asked Huiling to send it up at 5pm. Is it too late?

And also what time do your wedding normally start if it's on a Saturday? Do guests always arrive very late?

happinessbliss

Mine was send at 4pm. Cos my makeup starts at 4.30pm and my husband needs to go for the briefing by the hotel at 5pm...

My wedding on a sat too. We start at abt 8.30pm. But we do have guests who arrives rather early for pre-cocktail.

jiahui

Wah Happiness&amp;Bliss
Your make up time so early. So envy
My MUA was late that time. And I missed the cocktail reception. Sianz..
sad.gif

pannie

Hi Happiness&amp;Bliss.

Woah.. that's very early lei. Not hungry easily meh? I was even asking my mum that morning I have to wake up early for breakfast... she say no need to eat one la and commented that I won't be hungry. In my mind, I wondering sure or not. Whole day not much food lei. Sound like torturing to be a bride.

I was also worried that my guests will arrive late and we have to start at about 8.30pm too.

jiahui

Hi Ann
It is better to eat some food.
Even if u are not hungry, you have to eat. Bcoz u never know u will feel very hungry later.
For me, I ordered Macdonald breakfast in advance.
On Actual day, it delivered at 4.30am.
After my breakfast, just nice my MUA arrived at 6am.

happinessbliss

Jiahui < Ya my makeup starts at 4.30pm... i was ready at about 6pm... then my brides maid help me to change after which i just laze around and take some candid pics with my frds who pop up our room to peek at us... I went to the cocktail at abt 7.30pm...

Ann < My schedule is like that... Morning i wokeup at 4.30am to bathe and pack some last min items into my bag... then my bfast is just bread and kopi... u will be very nervous so no need to force yrself to eat alot.... just eat some.... then my makeup artist come at 7am to do my makeup... after all the tea ceremony at my in laws there is a buffet spread... i took a little bit of food... then went back my own house for tea ceremony also got buffet spread so i eat a little somemore... then 4,30pm eat at the hotel....
You do not need to be worried if you will be hungry later, cos the food from yr banquet menu will be send up to yr room later the nite... Oh and also take not, the pre-dinner food is only finger food... nothing filling...

zer061zer0

Hi, can I check for those who sent out the wedding cards, what was the postage stamps that you used? ie. First local, second local or gasp. 50cents?

jiahui

Hi zer061zero
It depend on the weight of ur card.
I used 2nd local

Hi Happiness&amp;Bliss
I really envy you leh.
You can attend cocktail by 7.30pm.
My MUA was late. She promised by 6pm, she'll come.
But she arrived at 6.40pm, coz she also got appoinment with other brides b4 me.
By the time she done, already 8pm
Most guests already seated, no chance to meet my friends to take pictures in wedding gown at cocktail reception.
Kana this kind of hiccups so sianz..
Anyway, it already over.
Most important is the banquet must run smoothly and successful. Still enjoyed my big day.
Pai seh! Apologise that i "grumbling" here :p

pannie

Hi Jiahui.

Ya... me rather greedy one. If not eat, I cannot take it.

Hi Happiness&amp;Bliss.
U only eat bread and kopi ah? Quite little lei.. I don't know will get nervous or not. For my solemnisation the last time, morning I also eat like nobody business. Haha!!

My mum say she will cooked birdnest for me as breakfast. If it is the same portion as I always drink, I don't think it is enough to fill my poor stomach. Maybe only 1%. Haha!!

You also wake up very early lei. I am expecting to be able to sleep till 6am if possible. I know chances are slim. But I am a piggy.. so since we now planning timetable for the day, hubby also trying factor in my nap at the hotel. Haha!!