Not wedding related- but need advises whether to accept a new job offer

s3r3n3

Hello everyone!

Need some advises which I have been thinking for a few days.

I have been desperately wanting to leave my current employer since the day that I set foot. I have been here for almost a year in 2 months' time and I have been looking for a new career opportunity.

Recently, I found Company X who is very well-known and they are willing to offer me the position that I applied for. However, they are not willing to pay my expected salary. Instead there is a payout if I were to accept the new job offer. Also, I will lose out the AWS that my current employer will be giving if I were to wait for another 2 months'.

The reasons why I have been wanting to leave my current employer so badly:
1) The culture here is very bad. Everyone (mostly are middle-aged people) doesn't interact with each other and will somehow play politics. I have no problems working with middle aged people from my previous jobs.
2) They have their own ways of doing things and they don't listen to you
3) My boss did not help me since the first day. I bump into many walls trying to figure out on my own. She is always very forgetful, and she even steals her previous company data to prepare her documentations. She will pass the documentations to me and one of my colleagues and ask us to change the format to suit our company. She can also shamelessly take our credits for things / information she has never done before.
She also doesn't know the processes well and will keep asking me some of the most ridiculous things. She will ask us to vet through her grammar before she submit her reports to the management. She will rant and criticise other colleagues and even the management and giving them nicknames (which I find it wasting my time when we have tonnes of work to do). She is also very forgetful, doesn't even know everyone's roles, and disorganised (always asking us to do duplicate work).

What will you do if you were in my situation? Should I just leave and forgo the bonus and join the new company who is giving me a paycut.

Hope to have some kind souls to give me advises. Thank you!

miloice

you need to research more on why they are not willing to pay more. Read their financial report, research their market positioning, competition and threats to their biz etc. Is it a blue ocean industry or commodity? How saturated is the market, what is the entry barriers for new players. Is it because the job doesn't have the value to their biz or because their opex and finanacials are under pressure. You need to look at the prospect of the company, are they doing well and having growth. If yes, does it relate to opportunities for you to expand your scope and their ability to pay more.

Now, politics happen everywhere. However, it depends to what level. From how you speak, seems to suggest you are young. Role is probably more junior. IF at that level, work is political, signs is bad. You should leave.

However, be aware, the higher you climb, the more political it will be. Moving to management, you will never go away with politics. I moved out of management role just after 3 years. Not my cup of tea. Good luck in your exploration. Cheers.

Last edited:

s3r3n3

you need to research more on why they are not willing to pay more. Read their financial report, research their market positioning, competition and threats to their biz etc. Is it a blue ocean industry or commodity? Is it because the job doesn't have the value to their biz or because their opex and finanacials are under pressure. You need to look at the prospect of the company, are they doing well and having growth. If yes, does it relate to opportunities for you to expand your scope and their ability to pay more.

Now, politics happen everywhere. However, it depends to what level. From how you speak, seems to suggest you are young. Role is probably more junior. IF at that level, work is political, signs is bad. You should leave.

However, be aware, the higher you climb, the more political it will be. Moving to management, you will never go away with politics. I moved out of management role just after 3 years. Not my cup of tea. Good luck in your exploration. Cheers.

Hi Miloice,

Thanks for your advice!

The new company is a pretty young online company. I have tried to research on the payscale for the similar roles within this company and it seems that the payscale is almost the same. From the interview with them, they are growing very fast and it does seem to have opportunities for me to grow.

As for my current position, it is more senior as compared to the new job opportunity. To be honest, I will try to avoid all politics / conflicts between them by all means (these includes staff that are more junior than me by have been in the company for more than 30 years).

Lastly, I personally feel that I can't learn anything from my boss. If I encounter any problems at work, I tried to look for her, she will try to divert the topic (by ranting and criticising others for some of the work stuff that she needs to clear) and when I bring her back to the problem, she will ask me to ask other managers. This has occurred many times and I felt so demoralised.

Hope you have found a good one!

miloice

I'm one of the middleage. haha... when young, better to go to small startups.
You will do lots of stuffs but it will add value.

In MNCs, you will have lots of protocols and processes and people stick to job scopes.
the positive, their HR processes will be more structured also ensure fairer treatment of staffs, better benefits. Many roles, if company policy encourages role switching, you can grow within. My company is like this. So, the manager is not impt, I have had no less than 10 different direct reports in 13 years in this MNC. Either I change, or boss change. Reorgs happens all the time in the dynamic biz nature. MNC will have lots of politics, and it could benefit one greatly to get into the right references with management.
the negative, politics and process overwrites efficiency. If you want to remain in a role and expect your boss to grow you. It will not happen. your package and experience will be limited.

There are good and bad employers. In startups, you need to know your rights, and not let them exploit you.

On pay, look at the growth potential for you in the company than start pay. If you are confident of your value you can bring to the biz, then, hit the iron when it is hot. The time to negotiate for better package, using your market research on pay, is when they need you more than you need the role. The more visible and tangible your contribution are to its biz, the easier it is for you to justify the pay review.

Hi Miloice,

Thanks for your advice!

The new company is a pretty young online company. I have tried to research on the payscale for the similar roles within this company and it seems that the payscale is almost the same. From the interview with them, they are growing very fast and it does seem to have opportunities for me to grow.

As for my current position, it is more senior as compared to the new job opportunity. To be honest, I will try to avoid all politics / conflicts between them by all means (these includes staff that are more junior than me by have been in the company for more than 30 years).

Lastly, I personally feel that I can't learn anything from my boss. If I encounter any problems at work, I tried to look for her, she will try to divert the topic (by ranting and criticising others for some of the work stuff that she needs to clear) and when I bring her back to the problem, she will ask me to ask other managers. This has occurred many times and I felt so demoralised.

Hope you have found a good one!

Last edited:

joyfulheart

i would say, ignore the politics and bite the bullet and continue working in your existing company. gain as much as you can before you jump ship. no doubt the other company is your dream one, however its giving you a paycut. oh boy the grass is always greener on the other side. on the surface, you may think the paycut is nothing however in years to come, when financial commitments hit, you'll start regretting and wondering your move.

trust me. i was once from a government hospital and i decided to leave because i hated the environment. politics was bad and the place was filled with nasty people. i went to a private hospital with the intention of new opportunities. it hit me real hard in my wallet in april when they issue the aws.

at the end of the day, its the dollars and cents that matters.

Staypositive

i would say, ignore the politics and bite the bullet and continue working in your existing company. gain as much as you can before you jump ship. no doubt the other company is your dream one, however its giving you a paycut. oh boy the grass is always greener on the other side. on the surface, you may think the paycut is nothing however in years to come, when financial commitments hit, you'll start regretting and wondering your move.

trust me. i was once from a government hospital and i decided to leave because i hated the environment. politics was bad and the place was filled with nasty people. i went to a private hospital with the intention of new opportunities. it hit me real hard in my wallet in april when they issue the aws.

I understand where you are coming from.if the TS is truly unhappy in her present job and it affects her emotional and physical wellbeing,it is worth the extra money for it?i believe one have to weigh the pros and cons rather than based on monetary alone.perhaps you can handle the stress of the politics well for the sake of money but it doesn't mean TS could.no offence here,just my own opinion.

s3r3n3

Hi joyfulheart, thanks for your advice. What if you know deep down you can learn nothing here when no one wants to teach you and your boss knows nothing. Instead, she ride on your information and knowledge and claims credit for that? My boss is always asking me to do duplicate tasks and I tried to challenge her sometimes as I do not reflect badly.

I do agree that when you see others receiving the AWS and yet you received none, it does hit the pocket badly.

s3r3n3

I understand where you are coming from.if the TS is truly unhappy in her present job and it affects her emotional and physical wellbeing,it is worth the extra money for it?i believe one have to weigh the pros and cons rather than based on monetary alone.perhaps you can handle the stress of the politics well for the sake of money but it doesn't mean TS could.no offence here,just my own opinion.
Hi Staypositive! Thanks for the reply! Currently, I have start to have the heck care attitude. Perhaps I really got no more motivation to work hard as I know I learn nothing here and when my boss takes our credit, the more I do not want to work hard. Why let her take the credit. I also simply ignore the people here but I know that for long term this is not going to work and it is very unhealthy to be working in such environment.

I guess maybe to just keep looking for opportunities and hopefully I found one and get to leave this place. I believe that we should have hopes that there is better opportunities out there.

pikachuuu

i was in a job i disliked too for a duration longer than you. and there are similR stuff going on, lack of learning, politics etc. what's more there isn't any bonus or AWS either.
my current job did not give me a pay increment despite me having a higher qualification but it was one of the best decisions in my life. i feel less stressed and happier going to work each day. of course i wish for higher pay haha, but so long i can afford the things i want i am ok, i don't really need all the luxuries in life :)

so TS, i think you should think about what matters to u more and base your decision on that :)