Noble House

ixwong

Hi,
Anyone ever host their wedding at Noble House? I heard quite a fair bit about its good food, etc....
But is there any areas that I need to pay special attention to? Any bad experience?

nicole

Hi ixwong,

We went there to take a look too, and found that the place is conveniently located next to Tanjong Pagar MRT and has beautiful interiors, but rather small. Also many of the tables at the side would have a blocked view - i think the centre unblocked area can only hold abt 30 tables. The prices quoted were quite high for a restaurant, from $488++ up, if i remember correctly. But of coz the food is supposed to be one of the best around. When we were there on a Sunday around 3pm, there were crowds of people dining there still!

ixwong

Thanks, Nicole.

As I will be having only about 25 tables, the unblocked area should be big enough....

However, I'm a little concerned about the size of its reception area, as well as the lift lobby......I'm worried about human-jam before & after the dinner.

Any complaint about the service?

nicole

Hi ixwong,

U have taken a look at that place already? I find the reception area really quite prone to human-jam, and the lifts are quite 'slow' and 'small'. But guess the most important thing would be the food...if everything is good except the reception area, well, difficult to have everything perfect. Personally, i've never tried dining at Noble House, so i can't help you by giving you real-life experiences...sorry!

ixwong

No problem, Nicole.

Actually, I have booked my banquet with them, despite my little concerns. Hopefully, the food will live up to their fame. Me too, have never dine there before, but booked it 'cos many friends have positive feedback about the place.

A plus point too is the location and price - so much more affordable compared to Hotels....and all in NETT price.

Post the message 'cos wanted to know if there's anything 'bad' that I should specially bring up with the banquet manager...

eli

hello,

Remember to tell the manager not to sell their house brand biscuits (dao xia piang) during your wedding. Best get them to commit in the contract.Then say that if they do it, you expect a discount after the wedding. I heard they still do it even though my collegue's friend tell them not to do that during her wedding. My collegue did not have the heart to tell her that they were doing that. I heard they will go table by table and ask your guests to buy house brand biscuit or mooncakes (during mooncake festival).

Some people do not mind pple selling stuff during wedding. But, for me, I will not want my guests to be subjected to such tactics.

eli

hello,
A note to add. The food at a noble house wedding is nice. My good friend's wedding was there some years back. The only bad thing, was he had 50 tables and we were seated in a small room, so we could not see the proceedings "live".

ixwong

Really?????!!

I definitely would not want my guest to put up with that! Will highlight this to the Banquet Manager and get that clause in the contract - must get commission (in terms of discount) for helping them increase biz!

Eli, many thanks for letting me know....

beebee

hi ixwong :)

i have also booked a wedding banquet with them. may i know when will your big day be? mine will be jul 2001.

ixwong

Hi BeeBee,

Mine is March 2001. I have not spoken to them since my booking, but will be doing so soon.

Have you been to any wedding held in NobleHouse?

beebee

hi ixwong,

i have not done that yet too. i understood they do welcome couples to 'drop' in just for a look on their wedding banquet arrangement on an actual wedding day. You can call them, tell them that you have booked a banquet and to have them to call you once there's an actual wedding going on, etc.

actually they had proposed me to 'see see look look' first before booking with them. but i went ahead with the booking without doing so. suggest probably you can do so since its a gesture they should give since you are a 'customer'. they got nothing to loose.

i believe they should be calling you soon on the menu selection, printing of invitation card, etc :)

ixwong

Ya, I intend to go down to take a look at their setting soon, after I settled my photo shoot (next Monday). A lot of things to settle with them...

I also booked with them w/o checking around nor trying the food...'cos a lot of people told me that their food is very nice, supposed to be one of the best.

More important to me is the location (central) and the affordability. We wanted a Saturday, that's why we booked quite early.

beebee

so envy ..... (wink! wink!)

i had wanted a saturday too but did not managed to get one. the date which i wanted was snapped up in just one week after i called them to check on the availablility. i was so disappointed that i have to get a sunday :-( was so depressed on that day during the booking that i just 'any-how' choose a date. sigh!

anyway, the package turns up ok lah. i have got what i want and as you've said, everything is 'nett' amount :)

tricia

Hi ixwong and BeeBee...

I attended my cousin's wedding there this Feb and the food was really GREAT!! Every dish was wiped out!! No one came to sell their house brand biscuit, at least not my table...

The room looked quite nice...no pillars and I thot they even had white seat covers (did I remember correctly??)...but dun expect too much on the reception area becos once u step out of the lift is the reception area...not much space so most of us went straight to our tables to sit down...

ixwong

Sign! NH is really quite popular, esp their weekends. I very kiasu, booked the date 16 mths b4 in end 1999.

Think it's people like me who spoil the mkt...but then no choice leh, in fact we are not the first couple for 2001.

Your parents don't mind you 'anyhow' choose a date???

U know their newest package? $638 nett, and throw in free 12 hrs usage of a Rolls-Royce (new one SDDxxxx) as wedding car....actually quite tempted...

P

paulang

Dear ixwong,

Mine is also at NH, @ 23rd Jan 1999 & my brother's too. I personally know the manager there, Johnathon : Very nice guy.

The food is good, they are indeed very popular.

ixwong

Glad to hear that. So you recommend we deal directly with Jonathan? So far, I only spoken to this guy called Eric....

Are they flexible in accomodating requests (e.g. decor, chair covers)...... or since they are so popular, they have a standard package and that's that - take it or leave it??

pls advice.

beebee

Hi ixwong, Yes I did take up the offer of the bridal car under the package of $638 (the car arrangement came free). But the car is on a first come first basis as it is shared among the Tung Lok Group of Restaurant. We booked the package only after confirming that its available. I find that its a good arrangement in a sense that car, decoration, petrol, driver and other charges, erp, etc are all included. It saved me the trouble in managing my cost of the bridal car. However I believe if there's still availability on your date you can book it at $1200, with the same arrangement above. Timing is from 7am to 7pm.

But if your bridal package includes the car arrangement, then no point going through the whole arrangement with them(NH).

I am those against tradition kind of people. My parents and in-laws are liberal, just that wedding during the Lunar Seventh Month is a strict No-No. I had wanted to 'skip' the wedding dinner but as you know lah, under the environment here this idea was totally thrown out by both our parents.

I find that wedding is just a 'ritual' that all newly wed couple must go through. The life thereafter is much more important :)

beebee

Hi ixwong, From what I understand wedding package in 2001 comes with seat cover, etc(those white ones with gold trim). I have seen their photos when I made booking with them. As for decoration, you can have your own wall deco but must keep them informed beforehand. Dummy cake will be provided though. Suggest that during your next meeting with them, iron out all those details that you want. Ask them to show you pictures of the settings (which they had showed me). Their wall deco is those with the two big 'Xi' kind. If you find that its too tradition, probably you would like to get somebody to do up something for you.

ixwong

Hi BeeBee,

My bridal package did come with a Merc E200 (with driver, petrol, all-in). Just fancy RR 'cos it's more unique & we never travel in one b4....

Do you mean if I take other menu, we have to top up $1200 just to rent the car?? If so, I think we have to shelf that idea. Too ex...

As I booked the banquet in 1999, I am allowed to choose from 2000 or 2001 menu. Realised the menus are similiar but cost slightly more in 2001. Inflation, I guess....

Well, I'm more traditional type, and hence thoroughly enjoying myself with all the planning now....I'm also the like-to-plan type :)

beebee

Ya lor. You are right. The car booking will require $1200 (for the RR).

Totally agreed. I have checked the 2000 against the 2001 menu. Yes they cost more though items are identical.

Its a once in a life time thing, thus I also tried to enjoy myself in this process too. Since we are in it now, then must enjoy :) if not will remember for life that i did not enjoy it (ha! ha!)

Happy planning :) ...... to both of us!

ixwong

Sound like quite a fair bit has changed since I last spoken to them. Then, they were only in midst of making the chair covers and nothing was finalised.

Yep, need to meet up with them asap. Thanks everyone...

cat

hi all,

just attened my hubby's cousin's wedding dinner in noble house two days ago. he had 45 tables altogether.

despite all the positive comments here, personally i didn't like it that much.

surprisingly i found the food not that good...at least at my table (6 male and 4 female) we didn't finish some of the dishes. the coordination of music and MC(provided by the restaurant) was poor that end up my hubby was running here and there to help out the restaurant staffs.

there was a "dramatic" first dish serving with "mission impossible" music, but it ended up like a joke as the waitors/waitresses seemed never practice before.

one more thing to add on is: it was very very crowded. guess it's because they had 45 tables. personally feel that it will be nicer to hold around 30 tables dinner.

i feel bad to say all these bad comments as it seemed quite a lot of people have booked with them...maybe keep my experiences in mind and see if you can negotiate with them to prevent these occasions to repeat.

ixwong

Hi Cat!

Don't feel bad about the comments. This forum is setup for us to share real experience, and "derive" preventive measures where necessary. :)

I do agree that NH is a bit small for 45 tables. Only 30 can be nicely accomodate in the pillarless center. All others will need to "take cover" in VIP rooms, or behind pillars, which is less than ideal.

Can you tell me which dishes you had that are "not so nice"? 'Cos I have not decide on my menu yet, & can avoid these...

Thanks for the feedback. Seem like I cannot leave the music & MC to NH discretion.... Must go talk-talk to the manager...

cat

hi ixwong,

i'm not sure wheather the menu of year 2000 and 2001 would be the same?

hope i can recall everything correctly:
there were more than two "deep fried" dishes, i felt too heavy and oily. the dissert was "red been soup", very thick and sweet. after having so many oily dishes, i didn't feel like having such dessert at all(just took one spoonful and left all the rest).

well...the noodle was very nice though.

maybe you can discuss these with them to see if they can do any changes to the menu.

cleopatra

Does anybody has a picture of Noble House?
and do Noble House has any affiliated hotels in which we're able to book for a one night's stay and also for use during the day for T-ceremony and makeup?
kindly advise. thanks

ixwong

Hi BeeBee,

My dinner at NobelHouse is finally over, and with success. Many guests commented on the good food and nice settings...

The lift lobby is a bit small. So, we booked the area on the other side of the lift to serve as our reception area, cost extra $200 but was a good choice 'cos the guests can enjoy some drinks, and browse through the wedding album.

When the area get too congested, we then directed the guests to the dining hall as the dinner was about to start anyway.....Eric is the manager in-charge of coordination. We used their MC and they were ok. We did not add-on any deco 'cos we think the 'Xi' is nice enough with the 'shophouses' settings.

The only thing is 'cos we only have 25 tables, we took up the main hall, but they opened the VIP room to another group of guests. These guests smoke-out in the male toilet. Luckily, they were quiet during their dinner, but they look rowdy....

But all-in-all, the dinner is value-for-money. The only thing you need to watch out is your cost (if u have budget constraints) 'cos pple do cut-down on their ang-bao for restaurant dinner, even though it may be NobleHouse.

Oh yes! if you intend to do any slide shows, pls take note. Their projector is ancient-style, so any digital presentation from PC may not come out nice. It's better for you to get your own projector, and get their to coordinate the music. Trial-run is a must!

guess

Hi !

I must say the food there is the best amongst the wedding dinners I have attended. However, you may need to co-ordinate the music for I noticed that they kept playing their own playlists over and over again. And the song played when the food is first brought out was too loud and rowdy.... and I do agree with Ixwong, the lift lobby is small. Funny I also observed... that guests were not given chocolates or cakes as parting gifts. Hmm.... but for a small gathering of 25 tables and if you are on a budget.. I highly recommend Noble HOuse for the food.. but you might want to think twice abt getting your own MC and music.

ixwong

Guess,

The couples who booked NH has a choice to either taking the chocs/cakes for guests, Or, they can opt for traditional cookies for "Guo Da Li".

I think perhaps most pple, like us, opt for their traditional cookies 'cos it's really much nicer - a very elegant box with delicious 18-pieces cookies in each box (u.p: $18/box). All my relatives and frens who received the cookies has high praises for it....

In the end, we arrange another momento for the guests.

Agree with you that we shd coodinate the music - we gotten them to play jazz music throughout the dinner which was nicer.

As for MC, depends whether you have frens who are really articulate 'cos I have seen many who mess-up the dinner atmosphere due to inexperienced being a wedding MC....

guess

Hi Ixwong,

So odd... I did not even get that "Guo Da Li" traditional cookies... so funny?? Oh yes, I must add something.. the projector was not really functioning properly cos the slide show was jumping and jumping all the time.....

Yep... agree with you... music coordination is very important man !! But I did not really like the use of the two MCs... cos the guy did not really pronounce the groom's name right. To me, getting frens who are articulate is very important as they can add 'fun and laughter' in the speech.

ixwong

Hi guess,

The 'guo da li' cookies are given for engagement (weeks/month before actual day). Usually, the cookies are distributed among the relatives....

beebee

Hello Ixwong,

Thank you so much for remembering me and updating on your experience with NH. I have yet to contact the restaurant on anything for the banquet. Guess your response came at a right time :) (thank you! thank you!)

Um, will be taking down all your points for our first meeting with them.

guess

Funny... during the Guo Da Li.... did not get the cookies.... had to order own sets of cakes for the Guo Da Li....

beebee

Hi Guess,

Under the NH's package, you can either choose to have table favours (eg. chocolate or fruit cake) for your guests, or have it to be opt for traditional NH cakes (per table one box).

This means if you have table favours for the banquet, you will not get the traditional cake (vice versa). You will have to source for your own alternative against your choice above.

So since you did not have the traditional cakes, this means you definitely having table favours for the banquet. Nevertheless NH should have confirmed with you earlier on this. May wanna check with them.

guess

Waz sitting in the bridal table.. definitely, there were no table favours on the table ?? Did not notice the other tables though....maybe they dun give table favours for the main bridal table then....

B

blur blur

have went to Nobal House "look look see see". we love the place very much but have find that the place is abit out of place...though is near Tanjong Pagar MRT but still need to walk about 10 min from the MRT (may be go by wrong way). afaid that relative might not find the place. anyone know is there any nearest way to get there from Tanjong Pagar MRT??

E

et

Hi Ixwong,

After looking thru their next year wedding package, n found that the food is great.But they actually dun provide free flow of beer which some of the hotels do.

R u having the same package?
Or is it negotiable?

beebee

Mine also does not include free flow of beer but since its a sunday dinner for me, i believe the consumption shouldn't be that much as many guests work the next day so won't consume much.

If wanna cut cost, another way is to stop the serving of beer after certain hours or, etc. What I am more worry now is wine as it seems to be the trend right now to serve wine which is more costly.

E

et

Hi BeeBee,

I went down to NH on Tue and the manager showed me a new package which consists of red and white wine.
U mean yours dun hav? If so, I think yours is the old package? When did u sign up??

R

rin soo

hi everyone,

my husband & i went down to noble house last sunday to check out the location & layout. realsied that some of the relatives attending the wedding dinner dat nite did not know how to go to the rest. (cld not find the right entrance) thus i wld suggest dat when holding ur dinner it wld be gd to hv someone 2 usher ur guests in at the entrance of the bldg or put a poster or notice to direct ur guests.

btw, does anyone hv any idea whether the wedding package 2002 provide free seat covers?

thks!
happy.gif

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rin Soo,

Maybe you would like to call up Noble House and check if they have their 2002 package ready. If they have, you'll be able to find out if they provide free seat covers. If the package is not ready, you can try to ask them to throw in the free seat covers for you.
happy.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

beebee

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. My package was signed in Jul 2000. Exactly one year before my wedding date. Wine at that time was not included into the package. We did when back to confirm all our arrangement with NH two weeks ago on our package. They have this whole list of wines which can be selected for serving. Budget about 20+ per bottle.

Seat cover was not under mentioned specifically in package during signing (aka in black and white) as they will only be ready for banquets in 2001 onwards only. But we have been informed that starting from 2001, all banquets will include seat covers.

ixwong

HI all,

Yes, all packages from 2001 is already inclusive of seat covers.

As for beer, they do not have free flow, but we did not consume much also even though our dinner was on a Saturday. Only 1 barrel and 9 jugs.

As for the location, didn't hear anyone complain cannot find.

R

rin_soo

hi everyone,
thz for ur prompt replies.
happy.gif

halo ixwong, can i check with u how much u paid for the beer? thks!

lynn

Hi folks,

Do they provide decorations or do we get someone to do it at Noble House ? Thanks. I will be getting around 20 tables, quite worried that they will 'share' it with some other wedding couple like what happen to my friend at another restuarant. It wasn't a very pleasant experience.

A

ac

Anyone held a wedding at Noble House before ?
I'm very stressed.
Went to take a look at the place and they told me the pillarless area can only table 30 tables.
I might have to take up to 35 tables. Will the tables in VIP rooms be "isolated"....

They don't have much decorations available too. Seems like everything must pay. No table top pieces, no floral arch, etc.

For those who attended or had held their wedding there, how was the place "spruce up" ??? I really wish to take this place due to budget constraint, but I am also very worried about the decoration on the day.

What about the music coordination and the service. Did they change the plates regularly ?

Please give me some advice as I hope to settle this aspect and some "peace". grin.

adeline

Hi ac,

I attended a wedding last year at Noble House. Food was not bad, decor wise quite standard.

As for location, I think it's abit out. They are at Tanjong Pagar which is very quiet after office hours. For those who do not drive, it might be a problem.

Music and service was fine also.

A

ac

Thanks Adeline.
I know the venue is slightly out. For colleagues and friends, I'm not worried. Onlt concern will be some distant relatives who don't drive. 8)

Decor wise, what was there ? U remember?

adeline

AC,

I can't remember. I think the table cloth was white in color, overall effect very nice. If I did not remember wrongly, the background of the stage is red in color.