New Zealand

eve

Hi,

don't mind if i join in the conversation. My FH and I are also thinking of going to NZ (actually still thinking of Europe - Spain, maybe France or Italy). It will be sometime in Jan. I also share the same sentiments as KiKi, dunno if this is the right time since it is their summer holiday and self drive is it too troublesome?
As i can't drive, I will prob rely on my FH. So, dunno if one person do the driving is advisable.
Wondering if I can do something like partial land tour and self-drive kind of holiday.
Any advice?

ronnie

Kiki,

Feb's probably a nice time to go to NZ
happy.gif
Personally, I think NZ is a good place for a relaxing honeymoon, and the scenery (esp on south island) is great!

We took up the Chan Brother's free and easy package, so we decided on our itinerary before leaving and pre-booked the hotel rooms before we got there. Car rental was also part of the package.

Eve,

In my case, DH & I took turns at the wheel. But I think it shd be ok for 1 person to drive all the way, just take breaks in between and don't fall asleep at the wheel!

sling

Hi all,

I'm also thinking of going to NZ for honeymoon... planning to go there in September next year... seems that I'm too early thinking of this
happy.gif

Got a brochure from Chan Brothers on going to NZ Contiki for 15 days (13 nights) at $4288 for 2 persons (which means $2144 per person)... seems like a very good deal... if interested can check it out... will be touring both North and South Islands...

Included in the package are
1. Return economy airfare on Air NZ
2. 1 night pre-tour and post-tour accomodation each
3. AIG travel insurance

I went with Contiki to Europe and had a great time. Not too sure on whether their NZ tours are as good...

P

pax

hi all

we are going to NZ for honeymoon in dec this year. this is during the peak season but not much of a choice. we chose this period b'cos of a lot of Public holidays.

we are planning a 15day holiday. starting from Christchurch -> Greymouth (via NZ famous TransAlphine Train) -> Glacier (havent decided which one, perhaps somebody can recommend a good place to stay?) -> Queenstown -> Te Anau (with day trips to Milford Sound / Doubtful Sound) -> Dunedin -> Kaikoura -> after this, i'm not very sure, my FH is doing all the planning. we are touring South Island only.

W

wylynn

Hi all,

M thinking of going to NZ for honeymoon next june (end of the mth) or early july. Is it a good time to go ?
Advise pls !
Thks !

kiki

Hi ronnie,
Thanks for sharing. i will tour both South and North island n now my hubby intends to extend to 15/16 days... Got so many good comments from u n jo_jo, so we cannot resist to take NZ as honeymoon lah.
happy.gif
From ur experience, is Queenstown itself worth a travelign around too?

hi Eve,
How long do u plan to have ur holiday? Where to travel? If ur shedule is packed, then only one person driving will be quite tough. He may not enjoy the trip that much. If u r not very ambitioius n well planed the time, it shuld not be a problem even only ur FH drives.
If u like winter, Jan to Europe is good too.However, if u prefer have long daytime and warm weather, NZ is best to go in Jan.

hi Pax,
Met u here again! Please do share with us ur trip after that, ok?
U have 15 days just in South island? That is plenty of time to explore. I am very ambitious, even want to cover both north n south island in 14 days.
happy.gif

keep in touch!

hi wylynn,
June should be winter season in NZ. It means shorter daytime for u to travel around. however, it also depends whether u like to experience winter or summer.

ronnie

Kiki,

Ya, we had a good time in Queenstown too, although when we were there in Jan, it was tourist season so quite crowded (compared to the rest of NZ
happy.gif
But lots of activities to take part in!

P

pax

hi kiki

i will definitely share with SB brides & grooms. btw when is ur w/d? mine is on Hari Raya Puasa.

pax

kiki

ronnie,
So basically if i don't want to joing any activities there, Queenstown has not much to see. Am i right?

pax,
my wedding is 21st Jan,2002. Not very far from now. Since will take NZ trip in Feb, so could wait to see ur experience to NZ first.
happy.gif

jo_jo

Glad to see many ppl like NZ.

I hope to find time to go to the North Island for holiday and also relinquish the South Island.

Kiki,
Feel free to contact me. We will help you what we can. I went there for my honeymoon straight after my wedding. So I did not plan anything at all... I even have all the hotel vouchers open date so that I can choose where I want to go after I reach NZ. The weather is perfect for travelling. My husband drive throughout and I only read maps (I no licenses lah). We stop when we feel tired, have a picnic basket at the back seat and rest a while and eat some fruits or bread and drink some coffee. Eat lots of ice cream there. I just went to the tourism information and collect all brouchers and go back hotel spend 2 hours deciding the journey. Thats all. Easy.

I stay in apartment and hotels. Mine is an F&E package. For car rental, my husband work in a MNC whih have Hertz special rates all over the world. So we got a very good car (2litres car fully auto and new Ford car) which is powerful to travel. The pick up for this car is fantastic and we cover the routes faster coz can drive very fast on the high ways and up to the mountains.

N JANUARY is not very hot actually. The hottest is actually March turning April.

If you can, find another couples and go together. Can rotate driving and also share car cost.

ronnie

kiki,

Queenstown is famous for being an "activity hub" so if you're not into stuff like jetboating, you may not want to spend too much time there. Alternatively, can just walk around the botanic gardens, the lakes, the mall, take a harbour cruise, etc for more relaxing activities.

jo_jo

Kiki,

But if you can spare one or two days, Queenstown can be very nice coz the sunset is nice. N I initially also dun like jetboat ride, but would after trying would recommend you to go for it if you are there.

C

chimes

Hi,
Great to read such good feedback on NZ. I'm also planning to go NZ for my honeymoon. Will be going in Jan next year. Wanted to go in Dec this year right after the wedding but we're not able to redeem the mileage points.

Anyway, like to check if anyone has been to NZ during Jan timing. Are the snowy mountains still as snowy? Can we still walk on the Glacier (eg. Franz Josef/ Fox Glacier)? We're focusing our tour on South Island. What areas should we focus on?

And, I've been dreaming of swimming with dolphins. Is there any place in South Island that I can do so?

kiki

Jo_Jo n Ronnie,
With u two, i feel much assured that my choice of honeymoon is right.
happy.gif

Sorry for misleading u, i do like jetboat ride n plan to try it in NZ. I only wonder how much time i shuld put at Queenstown alone n wat to see there. Now with ur infor, i have better idea on it. Thanks!
Most likely will be only two of us to go there coz is honeymoon, hehe. But i also can drive, so it will be better.
Seems that i am too nervous abt accomondations, u two all do the booking after reaching NZ. We tot if we dont book b4 depart, we might got no place to stay.

BTW, jo_jo, r u booking the pacifica pass or a mixture of different hotels & apartment? Do u think 9 days for south island enough?

Hi Chimes,
Although i have not been NZ yet. I have checked the same question b4. The glacier is all year round so dont worry that u wont be able to see it.

jo_jo

In order to get up the glacier, you need to book an helicopter up. N you can only stay up there for 40mins. It all year with thick snow.

I use the pacific pass. You can actually book your hotel beforehand but plan your activities when you reach there.

However if you are booking those famous activities operators, got to book before you fly. I do have the train stations number and hot air balloon numbers and a couple of others at home. Anyone need it can pop by my house. There are many town which can be connected by scenic train rides around South Island. I think if you want to include Milford Sound, you will have to stay in queenstown for 2-3days coz journey to Milford takes 8hours to and fro inclusive cruise ride. N you will not want to miss the jetabout ride in queenstown so that needs half a day. Then you can drive to the nearby town which is scenic and quiet and beautiful for photoshoots. So 2days is the minimum. Also if you want seafood, must go to Nelson town. Then must watch whale at Kaikura (2hrs drive from christchurch) and enjoy the hot springs nearby (1hrs from kaikura)

ronnie

Kiki,

Regarding pre-booking of accomodation, the tour agency advised us to do our bookings before leaving because Jan is quite a popular tourist season in NZ. In our case, there were times when we spent many hours on the road driving, and only reached the motel quite late (evening time) so I was worried that the motel had no rooms left for us to stay - so we prebook lor
happy.gif

Since jojo mentioned Milford Sound, I also can't resist but add that it's another beautiful sight in NZ. We spent the night in Te Anau and drove up to Milford Sound early in the morning to catch the earlier cruises (less crowded). The morning mist and fog was quite breathtaking (and traffic was less crowded, since certain roads are quite narrow and windy).

jo_jo

Ronnie, milford is really fabulous view. I even have the chance to see dophins swimming with the cruise ship. The captain say its quite rare and we have good luck.

New zealand is a place where its too beautiful to resist. Especially for photographic crazy like my hubby. He can spend one whole afternoon shooting the landscape and many rolls of films just to capture the perfect pictures.

N we enjoy eating ice cream standing by the sea side with cold air brushing our hair. So cold but so shiok.

Did you drive down that tunnel where it is high at the entrance and sea level at the exit when you go Milford? However, we was told Doubtful Sound looks much better than Milford.

N kiki,
I just check I have 5nites in Pacific Pass Hotel/Motel and 3nites in Apartment at Queensland. The apartment is a catch. I actually was late coz I took a train from Dunedin to Queenstown with a bus transfer connecting. N we was very late when we check in coz I underestimate the time (around 10pm). But I had my mobile and I keep calling the hotel every 3hours to confirm that I am coming and please keep my room available. When we reach, our hotel room was given away but was given an apartment with full facility of washer/dryer, kitchen, living room, balcany. I even have all my clothing washed/dried.

ronnie

Jojo,

Agree totally that the Milford experience was wonderful
happy.gif
We also saw dolphins swimming near the cruiseboat, and seals basking in the sun on the rocks.

My hubby's also quite interested in photography, so he even lugged his tripod stand all the way there!

jo_jo

Ronnie,

Sama sama. My hubby carry a tripod there too and his full camera box. Advantages of tripod, can take couple pictures and no need to rely on others.

Maybe we can organize another trip few years later and let the husband take photos where we go see see walk walk.

Hahhaha

kiki

Jo_jo n Ronnie,
Even i only flip thru the travel books, i already made up my mind to visit Milford n take cruise. Thanks for Ronnie's advice, i will sure do that during my visit.. Ah, after u 2 describing so much, i almost want to be there in next minutes!
happy.gif

Jojo, how do u find out the Pacific hotel facilities? I am not sure which to get, golden chain or pacific. Have u been to Doubtful sound?

Hey, my hubby also like shooting beautiful scenaries! Guess we must bring lots of films there, huh?

Have u gals tried the pie over there? heard is very famous local dish. I am sure will have more to ask u later when i start to work out the plan coz currently busy with wedding photo lah. keep in touch, don't leave me here alone hor?
lame.gif

jo_jo

Ronnie, I was thinking. Are you interested to come out for coffee and we bring our photos from New Zealand out. It will be like relinquishing the feeling of new zealand from different season. Co both of us go at different months and see the difference.

Kiki, all the motels group is about the same. Just make sure you choose the one nearer to the main city square. Which is why you need the detail map that shows you the entire city map. Or you can tell me the few motel you are interested in and I tell you which is the one nearer to the city.

Btw, no need to plan too detail itinerary coz it will sway out of the plan. I expereience that.....

linda

HAhahha..My uncle operates a car rental business and has a website....He has a branch in Auckland and another in Christchurch. What he suggested to me is to drive slowly, enjoy the scenery from Auckland to Christchurch, stopping at the places I want to....No tours operators cos they rush you around like herds of cows... :p
People there are friendly to Asians and are helpful too. So he says I will have no problem getting around. Don't drive too late into the night though cos you are not familiar with the roads....
happy.gif

daffy

hi all! I would like to consult those of you who have been to new zealand on the cost of living there. I would appreciate it if anyone can advise me on the approximate prices of the following items:

1) a meal at a fastfood resturant
2) a meal at a simple cafe/resturant
3) cab fare (say, for a 20 minute ride)

thank you
happy.gif

jo_jo

Fast Food : $6 NZ for a Big Zinger (KFC), Fries and Coke

Simple Meal : Depend on what you order. Ranges around $20NZ dollars with Soup and Main Course.

Cab Far : Damm high. A ride from Airport to Motel wich is around 5mins cost me $20NZ.

meg

Hi all, need some advice here. We're planning to go to New Zealand in Jan and I understand that it is Superpeak period in NZ. We don't intend to book our hotels from here, except maybe for first few nights. For those who have visited NZ in Jan before, do you think it is risky to go there without prior booking of the hotel/motel? Don't want to end up stranded in the streets over there. And also, how is the weather there like in Jan?
Thanks.

jes

Hi trihok,
Unless you like and can withstand very cold weather. South island is colder than the north. I experienced temperature less than 10 degrees on some mornings. The days are short, and the sky gets dark around 5pm. You don't see fruit trees around, you only see the "skeleton" of the trees.

kiki

Jo_jo & ronnie,
Is me again! i am going to NZ in a week time. feel very excited now.
happy.gif
But i have not done my homework yet. Guess also will do like u, find tourist infor. center and decide from there.

But Wonder if u two have been to the Glaciers in south island. Have u tried helicopter flight to the twin glaciers or any glacier walk? Please give me some recommendations wat will be the better choice n how shuld i book it.

thanks!

kiki

Hi gals,
Want to check the hot balloon in south island as well. Which company i should try and where to try? Chrischurch or Queenstown?

thanks again.
happy.gif

daffy

hi Kiki!

We just backpacked in NZ for 1 month. are u going free and easy too?

have you armed yourself with a guide book? there are LOADS of updated information (brochers, newsletter etc) everywhere in NZ, you can find them in airports, hostels, visitors information centres etc.

many activities are weather dependent. although the weather may look fine to us, the people in-charge can tell if its ok to do the activities. i suggest that u just go ahead and do an activity when u can... the weather may not be suitable when u want to do it in the next place, and may end up missing it.but i'm not sure if the hot air ballon is weather dependent...

we went for a half-day glacier walk at franz josef. you can just call them to sign up or go to their shop (which should be easily spotted as these shops are usually at the "town centres") they have the half day walk a few times a day... gosh! a great experience man! i was so terrified and stress througout the walk. i was so careful with every step i took, b'cos i was scared of falling! actually, it's the journey to the glacier that was scary to me, once on the glacier, we wore some paws kind of thing that i felt so safe and hope that i dun have to walk back... u going franz josef? or fox glacier?

one thing i like abt NZ during summer is that it gets dark only after 8/9pm... and please be careful of the sun! although i am the tan kind, i was roasted just in one day in NZ, even though the sun did not appear stronger than what we have in spore.

happy honeymoon!

dreamer

Hi daffy,

So cool to hear u talk about the NZ trip! Sounds really fun and exciting! was it your first time there? Or are u so adventurous to go back-packing the first time round?!

I am thinking of NZ as my honeymoon destination come this dec 02. And after hearing what u said, makes me wanna go even more! :eek:) So is the weather very hot while u were there? Was hoping for a nice mild cooling weather for honeymoon..dun know if NZ during Dec would be too hot?

daffy

hi dreamer!

yah, it was our first time there, it was our honeymoon. i guess NZ is a fantastic place to go free and easy, or backpacking. we also saw quite many people travelling on caraven. NZ is a place that we felt safe and secured, and the people are generally friendly and helpful. although it's quite a conventional place for singaporeans to go honeymoon, i think that it's a great place to go if you do not want to be bothered by language barriers or worries like being mugged.

like you, i wanted a cool honeymoon, that's why we chose NZ over australia. we went there in late nov. we started with the south island. the climate was quite odd. though it was summer, the weather was quite cool, and sometimes, cold (esp when it's raining) it was only towards the mid-dec that the weather gets warmer. though the sun might be strong, we still get cool breeze most of the time(i think even on warmer days, the tempersture is about 25degree) . so, we seldom perspire like we do in spore.

but one catch abt going in dec is that the airfare is extremely expensive and fast selling. i suggest that you reserve your air tickets fast. we dilly dally and had to pay $1450 for the air tickets! heartache! tickets in oct are so much cheaper... dec is also their peak season, so u may want to be more careful abt booking their accomodation.

oh yah, i believe that you would be able to get two thick guidebooks from the NZ tourism office at ngee ann city. one is the accomodation guide, with lists of hotels, motels and hostels, and the other on places to go. i got mine through a travel fair.

jojo

Dreamer, i went to NZ for honeymoon too. Would recommend you to go there. I have a lovely experience there. We were even planning on going back there once we save enough again.

kiki

Daffy,
Wow, so good u have one month honeymoon! I would love to have that long vacation too! But mine is only 16 days. However, i'm going self-drive so very ambitious, want to cover from north to south island.
happy.gif

I am thinking of the fox glacier heli-hack instead of half day walk. It looks a thrill experience but am also afraid of falling so kind of afraid to do so. How do u think? Which type is the better explore to glacier?

Do u prebook the accom before departure? Now am trying to fix my stay in Queenstown and Te Anau (? not sure spelling), got recommendation?

Dreamer,
Have u been to Natas fair this year? I heard the deal to NZ for both airticket n accom r a steal! I booked my ticket last year in Natas but seems the price drops again this year.

jenny

hi kiki,
i just came back from NZ last month. For accomodation, would you be staying in motel or hotel? Queenstown is not much of a problem if you don't pre-book, because there are many motels and hotels available there. Drive around and search for one which you like. You can try Mountain View Lodge, a nice motel with nice mountain view of Queenstown. As for Te Anau, it's a small town and so it's better if you can pre-book your accomodation before hand.

As for the cruise to milford sound, you can just book it one or 2 days in advance. we booked ours from our motel in Te Anau just the evening before the next morning cruise. We were told that the 1.30pm cruise is the more crowded one, as that's when the tourist bus group comes.

kiki

Jenny
Thanks! It clears my concerns.
happy.gif

U come back from free n easy tour? Seems all of us have the same choice. I believe it is a good one.
smile.gif
Am flying tomorrow to Auckland n really feel excited.
happy.gif

dreamer

Hi daffy,

wow...u and your husband must be the adventurous sort...did u guys take turns to drive? i was quite keen on a free and easy...but was worried we end up getting lost. thought it would good to just wake up and be chauffered around.. :eek:) heard that some couples actually end up quarrelling becoz of the driving.

but anyhow, i think u are right to say that dec is a peak period...and air fares will be more expensive..say, when did you book your tickets? $1450 is very steep!! i thought normal tickets only cost $800++ But i'm sure u thoroughly enjoyed the trip..must be still savouring the moments :eek:)

jojo

kiki,

I think I took the 1.30pm cruise. Because I stay at Queenstown for many days and arrange my transport from there. It took about 5hours to reach Milford jetty.

But I was told that doubtful sound was better than milford from the backpackers there.

astro

hi,

jus like to ask if anybody knows, i am thinking of going to NZ this coming Nov. Looking btw Dynasty n Contiki, has anybody gone with COntiki b4?

How is the journey going to be like?
Can advise me how come the rates are so cheap(they put starting from $...) Do we have to pay for everything else when we get there? N any other advise, thanks in advance

alhana

Hi astro,

The rates that you see cld be land tour rates only (ie does not incl airfare) They are also usually depicted in US $ coz the rates are uniform worldwide. The rates will incl accomodation n transportation. I think some meals are also included.

If you want to find out more, just visit the website www.contiki.com. I believe the local agents will follow the same rates and itineraries.
The great thing abt Contiki is that its catered for pple bet 18-35, so u wun have to worry abt noisy kids etc :p

astro

thanks for the info.....but could it be possible tat everything add up is more than those package tours?

Anybody went b4 with Contiki? Will like to hear your comments

jass

Hi all,
my trip to to NZ is Dec this year. After reading all message adove still abit confuse about how to get around starting from Auckland to Chrischurch and Queentown. My estimated days stay is only 10days.
If i m going self drive which is the point i should stop and look for a motel.
Or is it mean when you travel along then you look for the motel.
After finish the whole trip, example reached planned destinations Queenstown, do i have to drive all the way back to Auckland to get a flight back to S'pore?????

There are actually thousands of ???????? in my mind how is the trip like.

Maybe i m abit stupid, can someone help me to solve my problem or help me to plan my trip.thank you very much.

angy

Hi,

Tell me the following and I will be able to help you.

1. where are you flying to (auckland or Christchurch) and
2. where are you departing from (auckland or Christchurch)?
3. Does your trip include a free domestic ticket? if it does, is it one way or return?

T

travelphile

Jass,

With 10 days I think maybe you just stick to either the North or South Island, especially if you are not planning to fly domestically. My hubby and I just spent 1 month driving around New Zealand, so I can help you a bit.

Now, here's what I'd do if I had 10 days to drive around in NZ. I will forget about the North Island and concentrate on the South Island. Here's my suggested itinerary based on flying in and out of Christchurch from Singapore:

Day 1: Spend some time in Christchurch, go punting on the Avon River, visit the International Antarctic Centre etc.
Day 2: Day trip Christchurch-Kaikoura-Christchurch Go swim with the dolphins or go whalewatching (Driving time about 4.5 hours round trip)
Day 3: Long scenic drive across the TranzAlpine from Christchurch-Franz Joseph via Arthhur's Pass (Driving time about 5.5 hrs) Overnight in Franz Joseph or Fox.
Day 4: No driving day. Visit the glaciers. Take the half-day/full day/heli hike to either Franz Joseph or Fox Glacier. (We did the full day hike at Franz Joseph and it was the best!!!)
Day 5: Fox/Franz Joseph to Queenstown via Wanaka. Don't forget to do the walk to Lake Matheson at Fox to get that picture postcard reflecting views of Mt Cook on a clear morning. Go do the 3D maze. It was fun. Puzzles mindboggling indoors. Overnight in Queenstown. (Driving time: 5.5 hours)
Day 6: Adventure in Queenstown! No driving day! Go jetboating! Go bungy jumping at the place where it all started - the Kawarau Suspension Bridge! White water rafting! whatever that gets the adrenalin going, you can find it in Queenstown. Take the gondola for spectacular views of the Remarkable mountain range
Day 7: Cruise Milford Sound. You can do it as a day trip from Queenstown or from Te Anau. Because the route is really scenic, you may wish to join a day tour from either Te Anau or Queenstown, since you can't really concentrate on driving and enjoying the views at the same time!
Day 8: Queenstown-Mt Cook. Driving time about 3 hrs. Do a day walk. Would suggest the Hooker Valley Trail. 4 hour return walk from the Visitor Centre or 3 hr return walk from the carpark at the start of the trail. Amazing views of Mt Cook and icebergs on lake.
Day 9: Mt Cook-Christchurch via Lake Tekapo. Beautiful lake with the cute church of the shepherd made of stone. Picture postcard again. Suggest overnighting in Tekapo to do some stargazing. (very clear skies at night, milky way, southern cross very visible). If not overnight in Christchurch
Day 10: Last minute souvenir shopping in Christchurch before catching flight home!

nero

Travelphile, are NZ's roads similar to ours .. drive on the left, traffic signs & regulations. How's the traffic flow in South Island, particularly the cities?

thanks

T

travelphile

Nero,

Yes NZ roads are similar. Kiwis drive on the same side of the road as us. Traffic signs and regulations are more or less the same.

The few things I would take note of:
1. If you are making a left turn, people coming from the right have the right of way
2. There are a lot of one-lane bridges in NZ, especially the south island. So slow down and watch out for possible oncoming cars. There will be signs telling you which direction has right of way
3. Speed limits are 100km on open roads, and about 50km in populated areas. Always reduce your speed coming into towns, the cops are ready to pull you over. You can (almost) speed as much as you want (not that I'm advocating it of course) outside of the towns and you'll be fine (95% of the time).
4. Some roads are unsealed, and so need slightly greater control of your steering wheel.
5. There are lots of tiny winding roads.
6. There will almost always be speed limits posted at turns. If the speed limit seems ridiculously low (like 15km), OBEY it! It will be a serious hairpin turn and 5 out of 10 times, we saw a memorial cross with flowers for some folks who did the turn at high speeds and went to meet their maker.

Traffic flow is excellent in the South Island. There's only 1 big city, which is Christchurch, and even the traffic there is minimal compared to say, Singapore's.

Also, driving conditions on the South Island can be pretty bad if you're there during the winter. Would not recommend if you have no experience driving in freezing snow/ice with chains.

We found Kiwi drivers to be excellent drivers. No aggressive behavior, and no tailgating (which I cannot stand in Singapore).

Happy driving!

B

blue bear

Hi;

I am thinking of booking the NZ tour package from SA (UIC) travel agency and just want to check if any of you guys/gals have taken any tour package from them. Comment on their price and service please.

Thanks