Need Advice- Birthday Gift

mint_leaf

Hi..would like some recommendations here. On a strict budget but I need to get a birthday present for a guy. Cost not more than $350 I hope. Age is around 30+. He don't work in a office so items like branded tie/ shirt/ cuff links are of no use.

Please..anyone ? Esp guys out there
happy.gif

denise80

A watch?
IT gadgets?
What does the guy like? Diecast car models? IT stuff? Simply vouchers so that he could get anything he wants?

denise80

Mint leaf, is this ur bf / hubby / normal guy friend / best guy friend or colleague or??

I think it all matters.

Men either like the dressy watch..meaning dinner watch type...with metal straps or leather straps...some prefer the more sporty type..with many functions. You need to know your friend well for this. Some swear by tag heur, some rolex. But of course, based on your budget, I think you should focus on which type of watch is suitable for your friend rather than the brand. Again, some like casio, some tissot.

candycandy001

Mint_leaf (mint_leaf) > I find the watch from fossil not bad (informal kind), price range from $175 - $2xx. Suntec/Heeren hav outlet.

matka

junkie, how much do they cost for vintage pieces? From eBay? The brand new ones here cost at least $500... just curious

tomasulu

one trick to a good present is to buy the best of what you can afford. you want the person to be so wowed that he exhales breathlessly - you really shouldn't have!

so a watch at $350 is not as nice as say a pair of sunglasses or a box of silk hankies. if it has to be a watch, a $350 limited edition casio is better than a run of the mill $350 citizen. but that's just me.

infojunkie

i'm talkin abt the real russian beauties lah, not vostok europe from that shop :p

just in case ts is interested, it's Vostok... not Vostok Europe
happy.gif

miloice

for watches, u cn check out fossil. They carry rather interesting designs at affordable prices.

mint_leaf

Hmmm Fossil..sounds good. Will drop by to take a look this weekend.

It's for my bf.. Cos budget kinda tight recently, so cant afford something too ex. The max I will go is around $350 or up to $400.

Is there anything I can tag along with the gift ? I am rather clueless as I am not really the super romantic sort & seldom purchase gifts for others. :p

ah_faith

Why not treat him to a boutique hotel night stay which comes with free breakfast? Price can be around there too. Romantic mah. =x

sgbabydoll

Maybe they are still new to each other and relationship not yet "consumed". Would be awkward for the girl to invite the bf for hotel stay.

sgbabydoll

Very bling bling! I think only (some) women like swarovski crystal ornaments
happy.gif

Buying a gift for bf is pretty easy. Just ask him what he wants and choose something within your budget.

mint_leaf

Hotel nite stay is good, but don't have the time leh. His bday is on a weekday and unfortunately we have to work the next day. Maybe next year
happy.gif

Ask him what he wants, always give me the same answer. Nothing.

sgbabydoll

Can take leave or do the hotel stay on a weekend.

If he says he wants nothing, maybe just treat him to a nice dinner.

pantieileen

Universal remote control from Logitech. Can control TV, DVD, SCV, Audio everything together in 1 device and comes with blue backlight. <200 can get

Skip the watch unless your budget is high. Then again not sure how close is your relationship. BGR or acquaintance only? Men of a certain age will just stick to certain brands like Tag, Breitling, Panerai etc so might as well save your money and something more intelligent.

Hmm...<350 not enough for Montblanc pen also.

Sunglasses? Car polishing trip? Perfume?

sgbabydoll

A watch need not be expensive. Each individual will have a few watches for different occasions. Can buy him a good sports watch if he is sporty or in a uniform job. But of course check that he is a watch wearer because not everyone likes to wear a watch.

faith23

dinner with someone u love that is still not romantic?? hee. actually this place atmoshere is good...so far this is different from the other buffet we went.

cuclainne

i suppose if both parties are ok with it, then buffets are ok.

Though personally, the husband and i prefer to stick with fine-dining on special occasions like birthdays.

faith23

ya you are right...for us we prefer to walk around. admire the food and pick up what looks good and sharing what we had got and I like to design dessert for him too ice cream n etc...putting alot of weight lol

confusenism

honestly i feel guys after a certain age wont wanna look at fossils anymore. im only in my mid twenties and i dun fancy fossils or guess watches anymore.

i feel.. or rather if its me. i rather, we go have a nice dinner and i would very much appreciate if u write me a card. thats more than enough... unless u wanna buy me a tag or a submariner. which i would prolly scold u for anyhow spend money. unless the guy is ur hb it doesnt make sense to spend so much..

if u insist on getting a present den maybe a shirt would be good. since he is ur bf u should know his size.

for dinner i would suggest u bring him to this place called the french kitchen! one of the best. fiancee brought me there for my bday. if budget is a constraint den go for lunch. UOB card is 68++ for 2. dinner is more than double per person. if wanna have buffet den my personal fav. is The Line or Oscars.

good luck

Pratik shah

There are a lot of neat personalized ideas out there right now. You can give Mug, hand written card. Personalized stuff is all nice.