Miramar Hotel

val

Hi,

Anyone booked Hotel Miramar? I'm quite lost on the wedding theme in the hotel? Any advice? And do they provide printing service for the cards?

O

ohno

Hi Val

If u're checking on the restaurant in Hotel Miramar, maybe u can refer to their website at: Orient Ocean. Think they include printing of your invites, seat covers for all chairs, etc....

val

Hi ohno,

Yup that's right...Orient Ocean...I've already booked the place. Thanks for that link...din know they have this website. So is it a norm that rest. usu provide printing of the couple's name but not the guest name? Dunno how soon we need to get the cards from them...Do we usu write the name of the guests ar print it? Did I bombard you with too many qns?
lame.gif

Just wanna get some opinions of people who had their wedding there whether they did any decoration and stuffs...I saw that some of them actually put candles, flowers at the centre of the tables and ballons all over the place etc..
happy.gif

O

ohno

Hi Val

I'm not having my wedding there but have ever check out Orient Ocean before. Think normally restaurant will provide the printing of the card but not your guest name. Maybe u would like to call the banquet manager, they will be the best person to answer your doubts. U can also asked them when's their next wedding so that u can make a trip down to take a look at the place and the decoration.

cherry

Hi Val,

i've booked Orient Ocean too! It's the norm that the restaurant only provides printing of the parents' names and the couple's name. As the the guest name, we only need to write. Did they give you a form to fill in your names and fax over to them? Do it like a month or more before your food tasting cos they told me they will give us all the printed cards during our food tasting.

val

Hi ohno,

Good idea! I'll chk with the banquet manager. Maybe I can chk out cherry's wedding
biggrin.gif
So where will you be having your wedding? And when?

Hi cherry,

I think on the day I booked the restaurant they gave me a form to fill up with me and my parents names....I thot so that it's a norm for the hotel to provide printing of couple and parents name but I saw alot of them posting for suggestions to source for printing saying the the hotel charges quite high....Have you gone for your food tasting? Really, I din know they'll be passing us the cards on food-tasting.

So how soon shld we finalise the guest list and how long for RSVP? Do you chk with your frens first whether they'll be attending before you send the invi cards?
happy.gif

cherry

Hi Val,

i think for hotels, they don't provide the printing at all, that's why they have to source for printers, unlike us, can save some $$ hehe..

When's your wedding?? Mine's in Jan03 and i intend to go for food tasting after my photoshoot in Nov. I want to concentrate on preparing for my photoshoot now, just that i have to fax them the form of the names earlier, but i'm still thinking of the insertions.

actually i think we shld finalise the guest list as soon as possible though it is not very possible. I think i will check with my frens 1st b4 RSVP lor, anyway, i'll only be inviting close frens, so not much of a prob there, it's only our parents' guest list are getting longer and longer...

val

Hi Cherry,

Mine's on Dec 27...Din know our hotel so gd huh still got print cards for us... Will be doing food-tasting perhaps in Nov. Have you decide where to go for your photoshoot?

I've jus receive a fax fom Miramar, they've faxed me the proof for the invi card...Do we have to indicate RSVP by when? And do u intend to add special wordings that I saw some of them have as their wedding theme..

cherry

Hi Val,

i'll probably do the tasting end-Nov or Early Dec 'cos need to collect cards, write, and send...need a bit of time to do that actaully. Photoshoot, have not decide where to go what abt you?? I can go to more places as i'm not taking Studio.

Yah i want to put in the special wordings also, but still cracking my heads....hope i can fax them the form by 2nd week of Oct....i don't think we need to indicate RSVP by when since we'll be the one who's calling them....

btw, who's your coordicator?? are you upgrading the room to a suite?? we are thinking of upgrading so that we have more space if our frens wants to rest in the roo

val

Hi cherry,

I've taken my photoshoot in July, shld be able to collect my photos in early-mid Oct. My outdoor photography is at East Coast and Fullerton. The photos turn out quite nice...to my satisfaction at least hehe...Wah but for me the photoshoot is on sunday so really alot of people...and u know east coast on sunday is real crowded...alot of people who walk past us congratulated us..which I felt strange...din know our people (of cos some of them are ang mohs) are so warm and friendly..
biggrin.gif
It was really fun and not as tiring as it was imagined to be...so hope u had fun too. Why are u not taking studio?

U have any ideas for special wordings? Upgrading will cost how much? I heard from a friend that we cld negotiate with them for an additional room for your ah yees and xiong dis...so maybe you can try that or perhaps can negotiate for a suite even.
lol.gif
Btw, my coordinator is Jessie. You?

cherry

Hi Val,

We don't like to pose for photos especially in a studio, on top of that our photographer is very good at outdoor shoot, so we've decided to make full use of his talent.

I really have no idea of the wordings. I'm not that poetic, however will try to ask ard lor.

I'm not sure abt the cost of upgrading but i think if we upgrade thru the restaurant, it'll be cheaper. I've tried bargaining for free upgrade already but not successful so i don't think they give additional rooms as well, however you can bargain with them again for it, i will try asking for it again during my food tasting. My co-ordinator's Joyce.

btw, are you doing any slide shows?? they don't provide us with the equipment so i don't think i'm doing it lor. Where are you going for your honeymoon?? I've just booked mine yesterday at the Natas fair, going to Sydney/Melbourne

cherry

Val,

Need to tell you something, not sure whether you are aware of this.

The reception table that they are using, really look very jia lat, i.e. they don't decorate the table......and another prob with the reception table is that they don't place it in front of the lift, instead, they place it inside the entrance.

Have you gone for your food tasting?? If not, can try to ask them again?? I'm going to decorate the recept and ask them to place the table in front of the lift.

babybear

Hi cherry,

You just had your wedding, hope u still pop by here! ...can i know whether did you manage to shift the recept table to the front of the lift? Any reviews to make about Orient Ocean?
happy.gif
Thanks!

cherry

Hi babybear,

yup, we shifted the recept table to the front of the lift, the staff at OO is very good, especially the restaurant mnger, Tony, he's very flexible and ready to accodomate all our request, if possible

Hope this helps!

maya

Cherry, isn't the lift lobby kinda small? When guests start arriving together, wldn't that create congestion? I recall there's this big flower vase too rite in the middle which limits the space. I'm thinking of showing my photos, thinking of how to display them and am not sure if the lift lobby is big enough to take the crowd who's going to be milling ard that area.....

cherry

Hi maya,

agree that the lift lobby is kind of small, and indeed create a slight congestion. I had 45 tables which explains the crowd but the congestion will ease when the guests move in to take their seats, the entrance of the restaurant do not have any tables, so your ushers and guests have space to move ard. As for your album, you can place them at the round table that contains the vase in the middle of the lobby.

babybear

Thanks Cherry! you are a great help!
happy.gif
happy.gif

any more feedbacks or advices that u can give for using OO?
happy.gif
any guests complain or have good comments?

cherry

Hi Babybear,

Sorry for the late reply, was busy
happy.gif

Hmm....I din receive any complain. MY relatives did comment that the food portion is huge. Couldn't finish the food though. My friends comments that the food is good too, no drop of standard from our food tasting.

You can rest assure of the service at OO, coz the Restaurant Manager, Tony will definitely be overseeing the whole dinner and he's very accodomative and will give you advice if you need.

One thing abt the Hotel is you have to request late check out (you must specify the time) else the keylock will be useless when the time is up, i.e. when you tell them you'll check out at 1pm, they will automatically cut off the key function at 1pm. We went down to OO for lunch the next afternoon, went up to collect our stuff to check out, the key cannot be use already coz they cut off since we din specify the time we want to check out, we only simply told them late check out....

Overall, the everything were pleasant and we are glad we'd made the right choice....>=)

When's your wedding? Have you gone for your food tasting???

babybear

thanks cherry!
happy.gif

my wedding in sep, so not yet food tasting.

pssstttt...how's your angbaos for the dinner? need to top up to cover the dinner costs or got extra for saving?
biggrin.gif

anyone comment about the pillars? and did u upgrade the room to the bridal suite in the end?
happy.gif

thanks hor..i feel i asking so many questions..hehehe...lucky u still here..looks like no one really book OC for dinner..can't give me good advices.
happy.gif

C

champange

Hi babybear,

I had my wedding dinner at OC last year. Generally for ang pows collected, you can cover the costs of the dinner and still have savings from there, no prob. The only complaint we had from guests was that the hotel carpark attendant was very rude. I bought extra carpark coupons at $2.50 each for my guests and they were not allowed into the carpark. That really pissed me off. As for the hotel room they give, it's average, good for changing and makeup. Didn't use the bridal room provided by the restaurant. They were not able to upgrade to a bridal suite coz the restaurant said agreement with the hotel was for standard room only. Think you might want to ask for other options for dessert. We changed ours at no extra charges. During the food tasting, we also found the roast chicken to be quite tasteless and overcooked. Bring your own march-in music coz the ones they have are not so impressive. How many tables are you having? If you do not have enough tables, they might take in outside business during the night so you might get distracted with groups of people walking in and out. Apart from that, some guests at my dinner complained that the service of the waitresses were bad or they were rude. Maybe can reflect this to your banquet manager to try to get younger people coz it's usually the "aunties" who tend to be rude.
happy.gif

babybear

Thanks Champange! alot of valuable pointers!
happy.gif

How come the attendant don't allow the guests to enter?!! Do you buy the coupons from the hotel reception or the restaurant?

I now have 40 tables..but should be increasing and confirmed to about 50
uhoh.gif

yar! i know about the "aunties"..had the same experience at Excelsior hotel (the restuarant there is of the same group of OC)...will talk to Tony during food tasting..
happy.gif
happy.gif

T

tropicale

Hi Champange,

Can i know which menu did u choose?? What dessert did u change to?? Btw, did u do any slide show presentation at the restaurant?? Tks!

maya

Hi Champagne, how many tables before you don't have outsiders? I'm having abt 25-28. They told me that only the corner room (near the lift side)they will still leave open for diners.

Mine is also std room. I wasn't asked to upgrade. Can someone tell me how come yours had this upgrade? How much extra will it cost? When I booked my dinner, there was this $300 food voucher which I exchanged for free food tasting. I also changed my desert from cold pudding to hot red bean, dun like cold desert. I was told that carpark was $3/entry?

Went last week for the food tasting. OK but some dishes a bit salty.

champagne

Hi!
Initially spoke to the banquet manager, not Tony about the tables and signing of contract. It was later that I talked to Tony directly. We bargained with them about the price and they did reduce it a little but we had like 48 tables with 4 reserves. Initially they refused to give 4 reserved and only gave 3 but after much pushing, Tony gave in. After bargaining with the banquet manager, she initially said we couldn't reserve the whole restaurant to ourselves as we were given a discounted price. But we argued and said with so many tables, we're not sure if they could handle more people. Think on that day itself, they didn't take in outside guests.

Last year, the carpark was only $2.50 per entry but still expensive for that area. Yup, it's a fixed price and you can get it from the restaurant. Unless you're sure your guest drives, otherwise, don't need to give. Plus, they collect money at entrance of carpark so you got to send the carpark voucher to them beforehand.

We changed the dessert to yam paste with gingko nuts. Most guests liked that. Our menu should be different from this year's. But it was the intermediate one, not the cheapest one. Costed $450 last year but I think it's more expensive now.

We had free food tasting coz we had more than 40 tables. We made the silly mistake of choosing the digital camera that didn't work. It's still sitting at the bottom drawer at my desk today.
happy.gif
Anyway, if you have to pay extra for bridal suite, then it might not be worth the money. But if you are keen, you can ask the hotel staff if you can check out the room first before committing $$$.

I did not have any slide show presentation at the restaurant. With 52 tables laid out, there wasn't much space for a screen to be placed anywhere.

And the part about where the reception table is, I think it's best to keep it just after guests enter the restaurant. Had initially wanted to put it outside but there is this podium that didn't seem to be able to move. They have a few layouts for the restaurants like when there are 48 tables, how the numbering goes and when there are 52 tables, how it goes etc. Remember to get the layout from them as soon as you are confirmed about your guest numbers. This will make it easier to arrange who to sit where. The most difficult part of any wedding is still the guest list.
happy.gif

jatling

Hello,

Anyway still active regards to this thread????

I'm pretty interested in Orient Ocean but not sure abt their food and service this year.

Their pricing within my budget......moreover it's nett pricing, with no corkage and free flow of beer...but most impt still the service and food.

greenie

hi anyone hv any comments on the food in miramar? anyone attend the dinner there recently? appreciate any comments! thks!
happy.gif

garfield77

starz,
Have attended a wedding there few week ago, food wise so-so.
PA system is quiet lousy & soft, cannot heard wat MCs spoke.
Services wise can say very fast, 9 course dishes serve finish within 1.5 hr coz current dish still eating halfway, next dish is serving out.
Think those auntie waitresses are rushing to go home early.

liviakoh

Hi hi, please advice on OO.. hee.. =)
the place is ok and price is good.. any more advice on the perks to neg?

thanks.