Meltdown due to "Forced" Switch Career

coldjade

Hi all… I'm having a meltdown now and need to get this out…

I've been in my current workplace as a teacher aide to secondary school students for 8 years. I enjoy my job a lot even though the salary is average (not even 3k) because I get to work with young adults and inspire them. Some grow up and we became friends! I also met many great co-workers/friends there. We work great together but also leave each other alone as much as possible.

But due to a policy change, my position has been phased out and we are extremely encouraged to move to another position in need of people. In short, forced to.

So I went to an interview last year as a kindergarten teacher and despite hearing of many people who failed the interview, I managed to pass and even got a reply pretty fast, and gaurenteed same salary. My boss was so eager to get rid of me that he annouced to the world that I'm leaving in March for this new job.

My "old job" working hours start really early and can be 12 or 13 hours at times, but most of the days I could end by 2pm, and have the rest of the day to myself. I have the freedom to manage how I use my time at work, work with at least 200 young adults out of 1300 in total and over a hundred co-workers at my pace.

This new job (currently a short attachment) requires me to start work at an equally early morning, but have to end at 5:30pm no matter what. There are only about 10-20 staff and we must go on our 30mins lunch break together, share a work desk seated side by side, share everything you did with one another, no partition at desk so everybody sees you, basically do everything together, and there is no other breaks inbetween.

When I reach home it's already pretty late and I have no energy to do anything else. The kids at kindergarten might have exhausted me physically, which is totally okay. They were adorable and teaching them was okay. Not great, just okay. But the environment exhausted me mentally. I felt like I couldn't breath, there was no alone time at all for over 10 hours. When I was on my way home, there was such a relief, but when I think of having this go on for years I had a panic attack and started crying. I am a really introveted person and have austistic tendencies, so it's really hard…

My fellow teacher aides failed the interview and were so happy and jealous I got the job. My fiance and in-laws and parents are also very into this idea of this new job. Plus my bosses' annoucement… I feel like if I don't take up the offer I am letting so many people down!

But I just… can't seem to convince myself…

There will be 8 months of paid training, followed by 2 years of bond. I keep telling myself that 2 years will be gone in a blink of an eye, just go for the experience and diploma, but……

Should I just suck it up and do it? Or don't take up the offer after this attachment and quit entirely?

Sorry for the long post but I just had to get this out…

Last edited:

Elene

Hello! May I ask what is the highest qualification that you have currently?

I’m not a teacher in profession but I believe being a teacher require passion to sustain. Awesome job being a teacher for 8 years!

Is there any other option to further study to be the main teacher? Or perhaps become a teacher in primary school?

I personally feel that if you are currently already struggling mentally and physically with the new role in early childhood. I strongly disagree that you take up the new role in early childhood.
I was in the similar situation when I was in my first perm job (not education industry).
There were a lot of factors contributing to my suffocation in the job (mainly office politics within the team and I don’t like what I was doing in that role). But it was a job by job agency and have to fulfil minimum 3 months in order not to incur penalty. But I was struggling in the 2nd months onwards. In the 3rd month, I was crying to myself every night. And it was near my birthday, and I cry on my bday in front of my friends. So I told them how I felt, and they gave me a very good advice.
If you do not like what you are doing, you shouldn’t continue to do it. Especially if it makes you sleepless and is detrimental to your health (depression etc). You can always find another job. And I felt so much better after I decided to quit after the 3 months period.

And I did found another job which I enjoy doing for a while.. haha

Anyway, my point is Do what you like to do, or at least not something that you hate doing. I think most of us (working adults) spent more time working than resting so it’s really important to do something you are happy with (at least not hate that job).

Perhaps you may consider other industry, or become a tuition teacher?
Or consider those child care centre teacher? Or try applying to MOE, SAP, independent schools for perhaps admin role or other roles that suits you.
Never limit yourself to options. Just keep an open mind to try other industry / role.
Jiayou and cheer up!!

coldjade

Hello! May I ask what is the highest qualification that you have currently?

I’m not a teacher in profession but I believe being a teacher require passion to sustain. Awesome job being a teacher for 8 years!

Is there any other option to further study to be the main teacher? Or perhaps become a teacher in primary school?

I personally feel that if you are currently already struggling mentally and physically with the new role in early childhood. I strongly disagree that you take up the new role in early childhood.
I was in the similar situation when I was in my first perm job (not education industry).
There were a lot of factors contributing to my suffocation in the job (mainly office politics within the team and I don’t like what I was doing in that role). But it was a job by job agency and have to fulfil minimum 3 months in order not to incur penalty. But I was struggling in the 2nd months onwards. In the 3rd month, I was crying to myself every night. And it was near my birthday, and I cry on my bday in front of my friends. So I told them how I felt, and they gave me a very good advice.
If you do not like what you are doing, you shouldn’t continue to do it. Especially if it makes you sleepless and is detrimental to your health (depression etc). You can always find another job. And I felt so much better after I decided to quit after the 3 months period.

And I did found another job which I enjoy doing for a while.. haha

Anyway, my point is Do what you like to do, or at least not something that you hate doing. I think most of us (working adults) spent more time working than resting so it’s really important to do something you are happy with (at least not hate that job).

Perhaps you may consider other industry, or become a tuition teacher?
Or consider those child care centre teacher? Or try applying to MOE, SAP, independent schools for perhaps admin role or other roles that suits you.
Never limit yourself to options. Just keep an open mind to try other industry / role.
Jiayou and cheer up!!

Hi Elene!

Thank you so much for the advice.

I am currently sorcing and applying for more jobs, each with at least a benefit to me. The kindergarten job was high stress, long hours, low pay. It benefits no one, not even my future children. So yes, I think I should not go for it.

I will also try to apply to be a sec school teacher.

I shall not let my boss stress me and find something I like. I will jiayou!

Elene

Hi Elene!

Thank you so much for the advice.

I am currently sorcing and applying for more jobs, each with at least a benefit to me. The kindergarten job was high stress, long hours, low pay. It benefits no one, not even my future children. So yes, I think I should not go for it.

I will also try to apply to be a sec school teacher.

I shall not let my boss stress me and find something I like. I will jiayou!

Yeah! That’s the way! There’s plenty of opportunities out there. Just be patient and willing to try new things! Good luck!