Mauritius or Maldives

cary

Hi all,

I'm contemplating whether to go to Mauritius or Maldives for my HM ... need advice from those who have visited either places to recommend/suggest
happy.gif

Thanks!

starmed

hi carolyn
me jus came back from Maldives... it's a great place to be in esp u love the water sports n the sun.... both my hubby n me came back wif a dark tan...
happy.gif
my parents been to mauritius.. from what I can gather is that Mauritius is a bigger place to visit... more variety of things to do besides water n sun... got more places to see... esp if u wanna shop... they say got a mini shopping centre... for maldives.. no shopping centres n even u wanna sight see... only in Male(the capital)... which u need to either take a boat ride to or sea plane... usu need to pay extras for such trips... everything in Maldives is in US dollars...

If u r planning a week long kind of holiday... n dun really like the sun n water sports... go to Mauritius instead... if u plan to go Maldives, stay there for abt 3 nites or so should be enough... BUT if u r a sun worshipper n water lover, a week is not enough...
happy.gif
if u need more help, glad to help ya..
happy.gif

cary

hi starstar!

Thanks for your feedback! Seems like you had a really enjoyable HM
happy.gif
Problem is I only have the luxury of having a 5D4N HM as I need to rush back in time to go over to KL to attend a tradeshow (for work). So maybe Maldives might be the better option for me ya?

How many days did you parents go for Mauritius?

starmed

carolyn
yup...since u got 4 nites there.. if u r not really a sun worshipper.... it's just nice...
happy.gif
my parents went to Mauritius for abt a week or so....

cary

ya I think I might just go to Maldives
happy.gif
which resort did you stay at? And which TA did you book with? How much was it? Sorry for having so many questions
happy.gif

starmed

carolyn
I stayed at Taj Coral Reef... i didn't go trhu any agents... booked the air fare direct n hotel direct... airfoare was $600 per pax.. accomodation inclu all meals n a candlelight dinner... US$420 per nite...stayed at the lagoon villa... u can go to the "Wedding Banquet" thread n go into "sword Ceremony" thread to view some pics I've taken there... got more one...still trying to upload the rest wif my AD pics...
happy.gif
no porb..i'll try to answer your questions... the website for the resort is

www.tajhotels.com

cary

I saw the pics! The beach is sooooo white and clear!!! ... you took the SQ's promo huh hehe ... transfers to the resort also included in the rate right?

starmed

yup.... took the SQ promo...n speed boat is included in the rate for accomodation.... cos the speed boat is the resort ones...
happy.gif

pork_chops

Hey Star Star, so happens I m lookg at going to Maldives for my honeymoon in July and considering Taj Coral Reef as well....can I check with you, the Lagoon Villa which you took, is that the water villa? And for full board, how were the meals? Were they all buffets or set meals? I like the idea of full board! No think to spend on food except for snacks! hee

starmed

Pork chops
the villa i took is the water villa... the meals there ok... not fantastic but it's good enough.. think the only bad thing is that it's buffet style n the variety of food is not like in Singapore here so many to choose from... they have a theme for the buffet each day like Maldivian or italian,etc... n they sort of repeat over like a cycle... I know cos I stayed there for more than a week... :p what I miss most is CHINESE Food when I'm there... curries are good BUT not spicy n hot enough... One thing to note is that the pple who go there are majority Italians n some americans n jap... my hubby n me were the ONLY Singaporeans there!!

btw the candlelight dinner is delicious... took the steak... it was really good...
happy.gif
I think the variety of food is not wide enough... cater more for the ang mos.... :p

pork_chops

StarStar,

I emaied the resort and asked for rates in july...u know how much? US280 only!!!!!! U wanna go again??? hehehe ... anyway I saw your pictures in wedding banquet forum too...nice!!!

Anyway the US280 is not full board...for full board add US45 per pax a day. Then I have to pay for the transfer. So u took the nite transfer right? Scary or not? And no more candlelight dinner leh...or at least the manager who replied did not mention anything abt one.

starmed

yup..got TV... wah so cheap?? but why go in July? July is not a good time to go my dear... it's the monsoon season... that's the low season... u'll get rains... the wet season start from May till Sep(rough seas n strong winds)... dec is the transitional period... not too bad... after which the "no rain/minimal rain" season (dry season,clear skies, very little rain n low humility) from Jan til april... for me, my stay there thru out no rain at all.. sunny n bright...:p oh ya.. also the waters at the wet season tend to be choppy...

not scary one lah... jus enjoy the sea breeze... well.. maybe u can change your dates? know all these cos I bought a few travel guide to read up... try not to go in July... just an advice...
happy.gif

pork_chops

erm thanks...but u see July is my wedding so honeymoon is july lor...unless I change destination....but i guess there will still be days of sun ... hmm, should try to ask people who has gone in july! heehe....if u know of any must tell me!

starmed

i see.... anyway u can try if u want... for me, I also went there straight after my wedding dinner...hee... that's was one of the reason y we chose our AD in march...keke... we never go see the tong shu one... :p which ever date is convenient for us...haha..:p lucky our parents dun mind..:p

pork_chops

hey me too leh! we also just picked a date...then funny thing is later then realised it is a very good day for us! So sometimes just go with your feelings hor?
happy.gif

starmed

u have to choose wisely...I actually bought a guide book on all the resorts in maldives... it's more detailed... u can check wif me if u want cos if u choose the worng resort... u end up not having fun... cos some of the resorts cater specially for Italians n Germans.... happy searching..
happy.gif

cary

hi pork chops! you choosing Maldives too?
happy.gif

star - me intending to go mid sep, think will still be raining season?

starmed

Carolyn
not so sure... but the guide books I have say it's the wet season... depends on your luck I think... :p can't gurantee...

pork_chops

Hi Carolyn,

Yes choosing Maldives too!
happy.gif

Starstar, oh I didn't know some resorts only cater to some nationalities....any u can tell me abt? So in all would yousay ur experience in Taj Coral was good? As in there are of cos italians and germans there but they do not specifically cater to them?

Carolyn, my ex colleague went to Maldives in Sept and she came back super tanned....said it hardly rained...so really quite depends on luck lor.

cary

Hi star and porkchops
happy.gif
ya i think it all depends on luck
happy.gif

star - so you did your homework and chose Taj Coral in the end, must be a good resort
happy.gif

me thinking of Banyan Tree
happy.gif

pork_chops

star, i think i m gng to book Taj Coral Reef already...can i ask u a few qns?

1) How big is the lagoon villa? Roughly? In the pictures of the villa, the terrance dun seem very big like some resorts.
2) How much is an average meal there? Thinking if I should take full board.

Thanks!

starmed

pork chops
gee.. not sure the exact fidures...but to me, the rooms are big... u want can hold forty pple kind is it??? :p aiya..only two of u.... haha..
happy.gif
no worries... it's spacious enough....
happy.gif

regarding the meals... not sure..but one thing I know it's all in US dollars.... also.. not much variety...only Italian food, maldivian food... no chinese food....
sad.gif
u going for a week or more? dun know abt u... me starting to miss our local food on the fifth day.... no chili one... hee...
happy.gif

pork_chops

hi star, i like italian food....going for 7 days....i guess Ok lah....shall live on their food for a while ...

anyway i wrote to Taj and they are also offering the candlelight dinner, cake and 20% off spa...so I'm quite happy.
happy.gif

pork_chops

Yes USD280 for deb and bfast...for transfers u need to pay USD95 round trip per person and then if you want full board, top up USD45 per person per nite or half board top up USD25 per person per nite...now contemplating this half board full board thing.

missylan

Can I say going there F&E is cheaper? In fact, what can we do there beside sunning and swimming? Think F&E is enough right? By the way, are we able to learn diving in a day?

Book the tickets from which tour agency?

lph

anyone been to club med kani?
am thinking of club med (where all inclusive) vs. resorts like Hilton. Which one will be cheaper? Considering that I will be using the water sports too. Do we have to pay for water sports like snorkelling, sailing at non-Club Med resorts?

mi_tang

hi

any one been to either maldives or mauritius but dun swim? i can't swim but FH veri keen on these places.. so deciding if i shd be so nice as to oblige...

sallykoo

I've been to Mauritius in May last year and it is their winter season whereby water is extremely cold, therefore my hubby and I did not go for swimming and water sports...

puppylove888

for beach resort living no place on world can compare to maldives............too bad her life cycle will last another 90 years or so
if u want city + a bit beach lifestyle Mauritus suite U else maldives will be too much boredom for u

crystal_flora

Hi all,

I am planning to Maldives ( loves the sea there)..but can anyone teach me how to go about doing the booking and stuffs like that?? try to do something to surprise my FH.

Star - you stay at Taj Coral Reef or lagoon villa?? sorry, I am quite blur.so u booked the air fare direct @ $600per pax n hotel direct (Are u refering to Taj Hotel).. accomodation inclu all meals n a candlelight dinner @ US$420 per nite..is the candlelight dinner refer to the "Conrad Maldives' famous underwater restaurant"?? beautiful??

Booking directly will it be cheaper that from travel agent? Know that there is a fair on 22 Mar 09..planning to go on early Oct mth..dun know how is the weather there...pray hard.

Pls let me know..or any feeback on the return trip? Thks!