Marina Mandarin Singapore

sarah

Hi all...

All along I've been hearing bad comments on the food at Marina Mandarin but recently some of my friends attended a wedding banquet there and came back to say that the food is quite good.

I really like their Les Oiseaux Room at level 5...
Has anyone been there lately that would like to comment on the food and service??

louise

Hi Sarah,
I have attended a weekday wedding at the Marina Mandarin. It was at the ballroom though, not the Les Oiseaux Room that you mentioned. Anyway, as for food, my comment is like what you have been hearing... lousy. Perhaps it's becos it's a weekday wedding and they had thus compromised on the quality and the quantity (cos the weekday package is very much cheaper than the weekend one). I was actually still feeling hungry after the dinner. As for service wise, I would say the waiters/ waitresses were pretty young and inexperienced. Overall, I felt, that for a 5-star hotel, the food and service offered were rather below standard. So please consider your decision carefully.

esther

Hi,

Has any one tried Marina Mandrain weekend banquet? I have booked my wedding banquet(on a weekend) @Marina Mandrain.

If it's bad, I want to be prepared for the worse.

patricia

Hi ,

Attended a wedding there and here are my comments:
1)Sound system quite bad
2)Waiters' uniforms are very dirty
Unsightly when they stand next to you and serve
3)Room not done up nice enough-too much white lights
4)Food has too much MSG

But the cocktail area is nice.

Hope this helps!

desperate

Hi
Anyone attended a wedding banquet @ Marina Mandarin held recently during weekends? Most were saying that there is a great difference compared to those held during weekdays in terms of their service and food. Have the sound system improve
recently???

tina

Just attended one last Sun @ the Les Oiseaux ballroom. The food was pretty good & the service not too bad. The waiters were quite young but their attitude were ok. As for the sound system, I think it still needs improvement.

erica

SOS! Oh no, i just booked my banquet with Marina Mandarin and seems like its a bad choice, huh? But, is there any way that I can rectify the situation? Like, did anybody tried to feedback to the manager and that the sound system was improved after that? Any good comments on the hotel?

rachel

Hi Erica
Have faith in Marina lah... You can always speak to Irene(she's quite approachable) and U can have a trail with the sound system and demand them to make it till desirable. By the way, is yr wedding on a weekday or weekend???As for the food and services, the above Tina has already feedback to us that the food was not bad( for weekends lah..cos she attended a weekend one)but atually I think that it acually depends on luck in terms of food and services cos the turnover rates of the bouquet personnels,waitors, chiefs etc is quite unpredictable so don't focus so much on these unpredictable stuff lah. Realistically, the sound system is so call the "fix asset" so just 'target' on this lah! I've booked my banquet there too and I will reinfore them on my expectations as the date draws near.

erica

Hey! Rachel, thanks for the console. I booked mine on a Sunday. And I guess, I will have to reassure myself that everything will be fine on that day itself. :)

tina

Hi erica,

Dun worry too much. As I've mentioned, the food was quite good & the service was also ok. Think you just have to highlight to the banquet manager abt the sound system. Best of luck on your wedding day!

C

cp

Hi, anyone has both the weekday & weekend experience at MM? Have heard so many bad comments on the weekend package, will the weekday one be worse off?

L

liu meiyi

Hi,

I've just attended a wedding dinner @ the Les Oiseaux ballroom on the 26Nov. I must say it is the best wedding dinner i have been to. The food was very good ( hot & fresh), services was not very bad (change yr plate quite offen).But the music is quite soft though.

The dinner ended quite late, around 10.30pm.

On the whole, everything was good.- yi

beverly

Hi girls,

Was at the MM 3 weeks ago. It was really great. My cousin was getting married. She was so nervous. However the banquet manager was with them all the time to lead them through every step. Found that very professional. The food was good and the service was quite fast. Also you should look at the package. Better than many other hotels.

Ciao

tricia

Hi all...

I had my wedding banquet @ the Les Oiseaux ballroom last Sat(25th Nov)...8)

General comments from my guests were good...food was good and service was fast...even my sister-in-law who commented that food was cold when she attended a wedding there 3 weeks ago said that her opinion had changed after my wedding. As what Beverly said, the banquet manager, Danny, was always around to attend to our needs. He was there at the two march-ins to ensure the right timing...He even went to the extend of getting my sister durian puffs foc when my sis jokingly said that she has cravings for durians!! I thought that was excellent service! They also followed our instruction of starting dinner at 8pm and ending it at about 10:15pm.

All in all, MM had made my wedding a memorable one! I was initially terribly disturbed by all those poor remarks on them and had wanted to forfeit the deposit to find another venue but I'm really glad now that I gave them a chance to prove their worth. As what my husband said, sometimes it really depends on your luck. If u really so 'sway', even a highly recommended hotel can give u crap...I guess we were really lucky this time and I thank God for that...8)

E

eager

hi beverly,

were u at mm on a wkday or wkend? what do u think of the sound system?

agree with u that the package is better than many other hotels. but this has also frightened me as i wonder whether there's any catch, like cut down on the size of serving for eg.

C

chin leng

<!-NOTE: Message edited by 'admin'-!>Hi Tricia,

Congratulations! Finally, you can breath easier after all the hetic preparation. :)

Hope that you'll still drop by once in a while to render advice to all the fellow wedding couples.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Regards,
Chin Leng.

seet

hi everyone!
I just attended a church's friend wedding at marina mandarin. The one on the fifth floor. The place was pretty nice except the lightings were a bit too dim. The sound system was alright but the food serving was too fast. We were like rushing through the courses. The waiters seems pretty young and not well trained. They neither change our plates nor bother to top-up our drinks. The manager was not around and there was only one captain. we had to top-up the drinks ourselves. My advice to all of you is not to hold any functons at MARINA MANDARIN. this is the worst service I ever seen..

tricia

Thanks Chin Leng...I'm back from my honeymoon already...a short 4 day trip to Phuket...8)

Will surely come back to visit the site...see ya around!!

carol

Hi

Last week me attened a wedding dinner at MM I felt that the food service is excellent and it is much better than suntect banquet cause i have to asking their staff to top-up our drinks
I FEEL THAT MM IS THE BEST PLACE TO HOLD YOUR WEDDING AND U WON'T REGRET HAVING THERE

seet

hi! It,s a weekday one. I think you guys need to give your staff proper training and the duty manager pls make sure that the staff do top up our drinks. I think the sound system and lighting needs up-grading too.

jenna

hi! I attended a dinner there recently at MM and the food there compared to some other hotels in the area is better, but i cannot say the same for the service though. I agree that the staff are quite young and some rather inexperienced but i noticed 1 or 2 were like serving 3 tables each!Maybe you could highlight to the manager to have sufficient staff or something to ensure proper service to your guests and perhaps speak to them about the loud sound system as well.

cleopatra

Hi,
i've already had 2 hotels streamlined, out of many others, they are: The Regent and MM.

However, i plan to hold my wedding on a weekday, around 20 tables, but due to the comments i've seen on this page regarding MM (of cos, some are positive and some are negative), this makes my search a little more headache. can anyone provide suggestions (of cos, those who've attended weddings recently are certainly most welcome to provide comments!) on the food, service and other miscellaneous things i should look out for between these two hotels?

(Or other hotels if anyone has a better idea?)

Thanks so much.

M

mesther

MM is actually my choice for my wedding too, although I have yet to confirm our booking yet. MM is having a promotion at this moment making its price a really attractve one although after reading the treads here I am wondering whether the promotion is really a desperate move?

Seems that MM food and service is rather erratic. Can someone who have just attended a dinner there give me some comments?

sunny

Hi
i have confirmed my booking with MM last aug. The banquet manager in charge was very flexible n that's why we decided to sign up. But after reading the treads here, i also have my concern and was pretty upset. But i do have friends who gave me very positive feedback abt MM. So i hope things would turn out well.

Cleopatra
If i am not wrong, Regent is also having a very attractive promotion right now. If given me the choice, perhaps i would have sign up with Regent since that they seem to have very consistent good feedback.

I have attended wedding at both Regent n MM, and i would say that Regent has that extra touch of class.

P

palmolive

Dear Sunny,

I guess even the best hotel will hv screw-ups so don't fret till the day comes... I'm sure things have a way of workin' out... since you have already booked, stop thinkin &amp; comparing or you will go crazy lah!!

theresa

Hi Everybody

I've my wedding in MM late last year and I must say the hotel provides excellent service. For example, we needed a piano and only informed the hotel that morning. Surprisingly, they manage to get one for me in time. In addition, the banquet manager was there to brief what I should do. For example, I can pass my bouquet to the assistant on the standby when I go out the stage for cake-cutting. And he even told me which angle to look during cake-cutting session so that the photographer is able to get the best view. Even before the wedding, the hotel staff send us some sandwiches and drinks. After the dinner, the staff also send us the dinner which we missed. If we want any last minute changes, the staff accomodate to our needs on the spot. The staff was good. Everyone gave us good comments like good food, good service and nice ambience (we have ours at Les Oiseaux Room). Maybe ours is a Saturday package, the food may be different from the rest of the days. Even for the first dish, the staff even did some kind of the rehearsed formation according to the music we used for the grand entrance (very different from what the other hotels do for the first dish). Moreover, I was told that besides me, two other couples are also having weddings on the same day! As such, the service doesn't drop at all!

angie

Hi Mesther,

MM is also high on my list. But I have not heard of any promo. Can you tell me abt it?

Theresa,

Do you find the march-in too short? I like the place except that I was there on Sat and the ballroom looked very small. BTW, who did you liase with?

sunny

hi Theresa
it's so good to hear that u were very pleased with MM n that u had a good time. i hope that mine will be as good. When i was there last year, they show me Les Oiseaux Room as they are preparing for a wedding, the decor looks very pretty n nice. But i will be having the ballroom downstairs as i have more than 30 tables, hopefully it will be as nice.

Hi Angie
when i sign up last year, the promo was free flow of beer. and if on weekday, i think got 1 extra free table. duno abt the promo now...

theresa

Angie

I guess a small room like Les Oiseaux Room has its plus and minus. Some people may find it small but I feel it is quite cosy cos you can mingle with your guests easily. Moreover, when we are on stage, somehow our emcees are able to get everyone's attention. You know when a ballroom goes too big, people especially at the back will be distracted and you'll find lots of commotion. As for the walk-in, we didn't find it short, I guess we had a quick rehearsal just before the dinner. The banquet manager was there during the rehearsal to tell us when to come in and how our pace should be. Of course, during the actual dinner, he was there to tell you when to go for change of dress and when to go out and say farewell to our guests and etc. As for the entry for the first dish, the small room makes it possible for waiters and waitresses do some kind of formation on the stage unlike the normal "waiter-stand-next-to-the-table" to serve the dish. Maybe because, we use some dramatic music from Kitaro. I worked with Lunna btw.

Angie,
I do receive very good feedback on the ballroom on the ground floor. Have you thought of the colour theme? We used the new peach theme and we felt it look quite of sweet!

angie

Hi Sunny,

We were offered 20 or 30 l of free beer. Can't remember. Anyway, the manager was quite flexible. I didn't want the invitation cards, favours and guest book and he was rather accomaodating to replace with other items. Oh yah, I was told they might have a candle-theme this year. You might want to check with the manager if you are interested
happy.gif

Theresa,

I'm glad you had a good time. My husband and I like the ballroom. It looks cosy. Ok, I was planning a "dramatic" march-in so I wanted a longer march-in area. hmmm, but it does look quite nice. Now we have to decide btw MM &amp; Rendezvous. What do you think?

sunny

Hi Theresa,
i am so happy to know that u work with Lunna because she is also in charge of my account. Yippee!

theresa

Angie

I can't comment anything on Rendezvous cos I've never been there before. But do check with your in-laws about their preference cos they play a big part too!

M

mesther

Hi Angie,

I think it only apply for weekday. MM is offering at $596.20nett for 9 course dinner. I did a back to back comparison with most 5 star hotel and I can tell u it is among the best thing u can get in town at this moment. By the way, I think u have to book by a certain deadline to get the deal. Anyway, I am working with Sun Sun so prob u can give her a ring abt this.

No freeflow of beer or extra table this time.

Anyway good luck with your negotiation.

Sunny,

I have more or less settled for the place despite the fact that I have not actually signed up yet. Like what most of my married friend actually advised me - it is all abt luck when it come to the banquet...who u get for the chef, the waiter etc u can't really control. In any case, there is more thing to think of then just the banquet.

Theresa,
Really appreciate your feedback. Is there any thing which I should take note of e.g. such as the sound system or lighting?

No free

angie

Hi Mesther,

Seems like there is inconsistencies in the MM package. For 2001, I was told there will be free 30l of beer, weekday &amp; weekend but the price was slight more than $600. I will check it out again. I do agree the package is very good but they have made some changes for the 2002 package. There is no day use room and $200 food voucher. do you think these are important?

Anyway, we have more or less decided on MM but we have not picked a date yet.

angie

Hi Theresa,

Ok, we have decided on MM. As the ballroom is quite small, I am not sure what song I should use for the march-in. What did you use?

theresa

Hi Angie

I can't remember the title actually. But the banquet manager recommended. I think it is one of the three recommended march-in songs ( I think the last option). Your catering manager is supposed to give you a list of songs to select and she/he will arrange a meeting with the sound technician for you to listen to the songs about a month before your wedding. The music we chose is not your typical wedding song.

Who's your banquet manager? And good luck.

Theresa

G

ganne

Just a couple of notes to couples who has booked Hyatt for their wedding dinner....
Just attended a wedding in Hyatt, Hibiscus Rm, 3rd flr. Overall, the atmosphere is quite good but there are a couple of things that I would like to highlight..

1) During the video presentation, the music is so soft that even where I am sitting (2nd table from the stage) cannot hear the music..
2) The tall flora centrepiece of the VIP table is blocking the view of some of the guests from viewing the screen.
3) During the video presentation, the waiters and waitress were walking here and there , therefore blocking the view too.
4) Lights are not dimmed at all during the presentation as well.

hope you guys will find this information useful

angie

Hi Theresa,

We have decided on MM. However, as the 2002 package is slightly different from the 2001, we still need to speak to the Events Manager. Basically, I want to request for a day use room as well as the dining voucher.Is the banquet manager the same as the Events Manager? Mine is Lee Beng Khoon.

You chose the peach theme right? Did you get to see the other themes? I have not seen the decorated les Oiseux (hope it's the right spelling :p) room yet. Hmmm...actually thinking of a garden theme so may need to add more flowers.

theresa

Hi Angie

I'm not sure of the system right now. However, the person who is managing your account (the one who actually sells you your package) should be the one you liaise with.

She will show you the various themes about a month before your actually wedding. Do not fret now. It's still early! They will only get in touch with you about 3-4 months before your big day!

Yep, I chose the peach theme (using June Florist). They have two in-house florists. The two in-house florist will dress up your ballrooms. Actually, I prefer the ivory theme personally. But my hubby prefers the peach. He likes sweet stuff (that's the gentle side of him). My frens did comment the decor was good. Oh yes, he nearly wanted a peach theme for our wedding car! That means peach flowers and pearch ribbons. Luckily, he meant that as a joke. Otherwise, I may faint!

Anyway, if you want more flowers, especially the spiral staircase (you'll notice the entrace to Les Oiseux), you have to tell your account manager first. Cos, it may cost slightly more.

Good Luck!

angie

Hi Theresa,

I'm so happy we finally made our decision. We have booked MM on Sat. We got all the things we wanted.
happy.gif
I brought up some of the negative comments I read in this forum and the manager promised to look into it nearer our wedding date. Anyway, they are giving a real 3 tier wedding cake next year. Do you think I shd take the dummy cake and ask for something else?

My other concern is what music to use for the march-in. Hmmm, originally I wanted to use "From this moment on" but I think it's too long for the aisle.

I know it's still early but I'm so excited. My hubby warned me though that this is just the beginning and there will be a lot more work to do.

pegsfur

Hi Angie,

Can I ask when is your wedding? I've thot of signing up with MM too but don't know much of their package/price. I have abt 18-20 tables. Do they take in such small number?

sunny

Hi Angie,
welcome to the MM club ! suddenly i just realised that my wedding is 6 mths later n MM has not contact me yet. Probably too early to make any confirmation n planning. i was also very excited when i sign up last year too. but now busy with hse so forgot abt the dinner. ooops !

Hi pegsfur,
i think the min tables required is 20.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Annie,

If you like "From this moment on", go ahead and use it. The song will just continue to play until you walk up the stage and cut the cake. The sound controller will just gradually fade the song away.

Hi Pegsfur,

According to the list at http://www.singaporebrides.com/banquet_name.htm, the minimum requirement is 20 tables.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

sunny

Hi Chin Leng,
i'm also thinking of using From this Moment for the 1st march-in. i thought cutting the cake is for the 2nd march-in leh ?

angie

Hi Pegsfur,

The min is 20 tables though the manager did say that they have a room for less than 20 tables. I have not see it though. My wedding will be on 26 May 2001, Vesak Day. If you book their 2002 package before 31 Mar 2001, you will pay the 2001 px. The 2002 px ranges from $719 to $798 nett. Do call them for details. Also, for the 2002 package, you get to march-in on flower petals instead of the red carpet. Sounds good...
happy.gif

Hi Sunny,

I was told they will only contact us abt 3 months ahead. Are you nervous? :p Initially, I wanted to hv my wedding on 16 Dec this year. If I had indeed taken this date, I would be very nervous by now. Are you using the main ballroom on the 1st level?

Hi Chinleng,

I really like the song coz I think it's very meaningful. Initially I wanted my hubby to meet me halfway but it's impossible coz the march-in is really short. Moreover, the song has quite a long start.

sunny

Hi Angie,
i will be using the main ballroom on the 1st level. i sort of totally put this banquet thing off my mind. good that they will contact me as i still need to settle the cards n everything else.
wow, marching in on flower petals seems so sweet..
so do u get to do that?
happy.gif

angie

Hi Sunny,

Yep, I am so happy it's gonna be flower petals. Ties in with my idea of having a "garden" wedding. Since I can't have it outdoors, I hope to decorate the ballroom like a garden. Hmmm, hope it won't cost too much.

By the way, will you be having vergetarian or halal food? My sister attended a MM wedding where some of the vergetarian guests sat with the other guests and the waiters only served 2 out of the 6 vegetarian dishes. Do take note.

What is the min. of of tables for the main ballroom?