Mandarin Orchard Singapore

J

jenet

hi joyce,

once i attend a seminar in mandarin. we had a four course western meal(round table sittings).

the food was really nice that all those "Ang Moh"(british, swedish and French )sitting at my table gave very good comments!

but i don't know about their Chinese meals lah!^_^

joyce

thanx cathy and jenet for your comments.. any more from others? I will be meeting my catering manager this sat..

seasons

By the way, does Mandarin Hotel really have a smaller Ballroom (Act One) that holds a min/max of 15/18 tables? Which floor is it located?

Also, read from the forum that Mandarin will be undergoing ranovation from Feb to Sep next year. But from what I heard, the sales manager said they had already a renovation this year, which just finished this Sep. Any clarification?

ronnie

Hi seasons, the Act 1 ballroom you are asking about is located just 1 floor under the Top of the M (IIRC). It's capacity is about 12 tables, but it's a very nice ballroom with a "garden" setting. Unlike other ballrooms which are flat, this one has got wide steps and they put a few tables along each of these steps. The stage is right in the center/bottom of all these steps so all the tables on the steps overlook the stage. It's quite an nice effect overall (something like a theatre, maybe that's why it's called Act 1), but not practical if you have many elderly relatives attending (who may trip on these steps!)

I recced Act 1 last year when choosing ballrooms and was very tempted to take it - but had to give it up because of it's small capacity. :(

ronnie

Hi Birdwatcher, unfortunately, I think Act 1 doesn't have windows, which is a pity considering the view from such a height would have been lovely!

B

birdwatcher

Yah..it's really a great pity. Do you happen to know if Top of the M does weddings? I'm looking for a ballroom with a great view.

seasons

Hi Ronnie, thanks for the info. Guess 12 tables is definitely too small for me too.

Was wondering, how come no one mention about Oriental Hotel? Is it very unpopular?

ronnie

Hi Birdwatcher, if you want a ballroom with a nice view, I think the bigger ballroom in Four Seasons hotel has a window with a relatively nice view. Of course the ballroom is not very high up so you can't get a city view, but few ballrooms I can think of even have windows to begin with!

B

birdwatcher

Hi Ronnie,

Unfortunately, 4-Seasons's ballroom has already been booked on my wedding date ;-(
Thanks anyway!

faith

Is Mandarin's ballroom & bridal suite too old ? As from the outside view of the hotel, it looks old and moreover like very commercialize kind of feeling, very crowded with ppl etc.....but i heard the banquet serves good chinese food. Any comments from anyone here who holds their dinner @ Mandarin ? Thanks

joyce

mandarin's ballroom is old.. i do not deny that. I was quite upset initially when my MIL and FIL insisted on having that place as the banquet venue.

The bridal suite i got was also rather
sad.gif
, but oh well.. after tha banquet, one is too tired to care what the bridal suite looks like.. my hubby was knocked out by all the drinking and we left for our honeymoon the next morning. is it impt how a bridal suite looks like??

The FOOD was the redeeming factor as well as the service rendered by the staff..
My guests, esp. those who are really picky about food, commented that the food is up to their standard.. i was really comforted. We paid extra for certain dishes though.

FYI, my wedding was last dec,the venue was the mandarin ballroom and i had 43 tables

faith

Thanks Joyce, for your sharing with us here. At least your info. give us some ideas about Mandarin.

Y

yvonne nia

Hey, Joyce,
I'm new to this forum..have been reading all the comments on the various location..
after all the comments tat Mandarin Spore looks old..i went to view the place n ballroom yesterday.
The foyer and ballroom was suprisingly grand to me! not at all old..
hmm..have they undergone any reno over the past months?
so have you booked your wedding venue?

hwey

Hi Yvonne. I attended my husband's friend's wedding at Mandarin Belvedere in May.

What do you want to know abt it? The ballroom is fine, food is edible and tasty to me.

yvonne

hi Hwey

thanks for ur msg..but i've chosen another hotel..i was told tat i'll be using the Mandarin Court should i sign up with them.
with 6 pillars (i think) and the tables will be placed in a T-shape so as not to be blocked by the pillars..i dun like the layout.

Thanks anyway.
happy.gif

jessie

Hi, I visitd Orchard Mandarin recently and was attended by Malcolm. Nice guy but sometimes he just went on talking and talking and a bit too fast. Anyone was served by him before? My wedding tables would be around 21 to 23 tables and was told that the ballroom Belvedere could take abt 20-28 tables. If I do not take a max of 28, I wonder if the ballroom will appear a bit empty?
Also there is 2 big pillars with designs and lightings on them. I am not sure if the guests' views would be blocked? However, after visited a few hotels like Traders and Regent, I am quite impressed with the ceilings which have nice and elegant lightings. Anyone attended or held their weddings there? Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Regards,
Jessie

jas

Hi all,

I am considering Orchard Mandarin, Marina Mandarin and Copthorne Harbour View as the venue for my wedding dinner. Would like to ask for any comments on Orchard Mandarin like the ballroom, service, food, etc. as there isn't many postings on this hotel. Thanks.

Jas

qoo

Hi, I juz had mine wedding at the belverdere recently for about 30 tables, it's not that cramp actually, but of cos would be nicer if it is not more than 25 tables. The only thing that bothered us was the 4 pillars there... it will block at least 3 to 4 persons' view and we really had a hard time deciding who to put behind those pillars :p

But all in all, we enjoyed ourselves. The food is good, seafood like fish, prawns etc are very very fresh and we are all very surprised as they taste better than the ones served during food-tasting and I would say their service is very good too. Special thanks to Kevin (or Kelvin???) our banquet captain and Joe the sales coordinator who had helped and guided us on every single detail!

Oh, thanks to Pinky the cashier too... for being helpful!

nancy

Hi all,
I am interested in booking Mandarin Hotel for my wedding banquet. However, one of my relatives told us that the food was bad. She attended a wedding dinner a few months ago, and she complained that the prawns were not fresh and the fish was small etc.
I need all comments about the food and services at Mandarin Hotel.
Thanks a million in advance for those who helped.

O

om

Hello Nancy,

I have booked mine at Orchard Mandarin after doing lots of homework. Heard that the food and service is good, in line with its 5 star rated hotel.

OM

nancy

Hi OM,
Thanks a lot! May I know when is your dinner? I met the Catering Sales Manager - Angie Seng, and she was very helpful and approachable. Who did you work with?

Nancy

cody

Anybody who wants to talk to a sales manager in Mandarin Hotel, pls contact Joe Lee.
He's very very nice, and very easy to talk to.
here are his details:

Name: Joe Lee
Designation: Catering & Convention Sales Manager
Hotel: Mandarin Hotel
DID: 6381 6059
Pgr: 9577 0096
General line: 6737 4411

I just met up with him today, and must say that i didn't have a very good impression with Mandarin all this while.

Instead, I was pleasantly surprised!! The ballroom is newly renovated, the bridal suites were also newly renovated etc. Price is also very reasonable. Of course, Joe delivered the personal touch to just "selling" the ballroom.

My 2-cents worth...i had feedback from some close friends who spoke with some other catering sales managers from Mandarin. Their feedback on their catering sales managers wasn't very good (i cannot post their names ...), but Joe is REALLY GOOD.

Joe, if you're reading this, you should print it out as a testimonial of your good service!

I haven't obtained PILs approval to book this hotel yet, but i would like to hold my wedding there.

patjoy2002

hi cody..

i've signed up with Mandarin and is hving my dinner in Nov.

There are some movements on their catering sales managers lately and myself had unpleasant encounters with them.

If you dun mind, can u pls email me.. names of those mgrs with bad feedbacks frm ur frds?

My email : [email protected]

Thxs...
happy.gif

cody

Hi

Have you tried talking to Joe ?

It may be abit difficult to switch banquet managers if you have ALREADY signed up, unless of course the one that signed up with resigned.

Names wise, not very good to say lah ...
maybe that manager was just having a rough patch when he / she spoke to my friends?

Perhaps it'll help if you be really frank with your banquet manager. Tell him if he's irritating you / the things that you're unhappy with. He may just buck up and do things right. You're the customer remember? If all else fails, go to the manager !

patjoy2002

Hi Cody,

Thxs for ur adv..
happy.gif

The person whom we signed up with has resigned.. the new Mgr who took over is very unprofessional tht's why we wanted to change!!

Anyway, my FH has called up and made a complaint with their Director.. and he has assigned his Asst. Director to take over our acc..

We've met up once with him.. quite good impression on him lah!!..

We've selected Mandarin Court ballroom.. the one with pillars.. b'coz we like the new design of their ceiling & the light effect!!

They've upgraded their ballrm design.. more appealing now.

F

fiona koh

Hi I am new to this thread. I am planning my wedding for May 2003. Shortlisted Mandarin but becoz I only have about 25 tables max, I have to hold my banquet at Belvedere. But the 4 pillars are bothering me abit and I am not sure if I shd book Mandarin or not....

jusme

Hi fiona,

i considered Belvedere b4....also thot there are only 4 pillars..but actually there are abt 10-11 pillars in the room, especially the 2 which are at the sides of the proposed stage. your tables must be spaced out to minimise any blocked views...

also thot that the reno made the corridor to belvedere look grand nad modern...but the lighting in belvedere is quite dull

jus my comments ;-)

F

fiona koh

Hi jusme,

Oh yeah, I know what pillars you are referring to....how ah? So where are you having/did you have your wedding banquet?

Oh, my FH also likes the newly renovated "corridor". He said it looks grand :)

Actually I have been there before to view Belvedere, on the evening of a wedding. It looks quite nice lor, except for the pillars.

sunflower

Hi all,

I am considering Mandarin and just met up with Malcolm, one of the catering managers. Can anyone feedback to me about how his service is please? Really appreciate any kind of comments.
happy.gif

F

fiona koh

Hi sunflower,

The catering manager I met up with was Joe. He was very very nice and friendly.

So which ballroom are you looking at and when is your wedding?
happy.gif
I kaypoh
biggrin.gif

Sigh, I still haven't decided if I should have my wedding at Mandarin coz of the pillars at Belvedere....

sunflower

Hi Fiona,

Ya, I considered Belvedere as well, but the pillars also put me off. So I'm thinking of Mandarin Court. Just worried that if I have too few tables the ballroom may look too empty. My wedding's in Nov 2003. Which hotels are u considering too? I researched around, and thought this was about the best "steal" around actually. But of course I had a few considerations. I wanted on a weekend, not too many tables and hopefully less than $800. But of course, Mandarin would have busted right? It's I think $803. Actually you can consider Goodwood Park. If you have max 25 tables, it can accommodate. Quite a nice place too. Very Tudor.
happy.gif

F

fiona koh

Hi sunflower,

I thot Mandarin quite good deal too, free flow of beer right!!!??? I was considering Hyatt too but their price structure is abit different, it depends on how many tables you have, then you have to follow the price that they quote, and all for the same food ok!

Hey, regarding Mandarin Court, I thot you must have 35 tables right? Not sure but I thot Joe told me that before. I don't have 35
sad.gif

Is Goodwood Park's food nice? I was told by a few people that Mandarin's food is not bad. Do you know how much is Goodwood?
happy.gif

F

fiona koh

Hi again sunflower,

I just called Goodwood Park, it costs $728+++ for a Sunday wedding
sad.gif
That's more than Mandarin leh, my budget is not to exceed $828 if possible...

sunflower

Hi Fiona,

No leh... I checked it out before. Definitely less than $800. I met up with the manager, he gave me the detailed brochures... let me check it out when I get home?

Ya, Mandarin Court needs 35 tables.

sunflower

Hi Fiona,

Checked it up already. They quoted me $688+++ for dinner on Sundays. After the taxes it's about $794. For Sats, it's $708+++. Did they up the price?

F

fiona koh

Hi sunflower,

thanks for checking!
happy.gif
The guy I spoke to quoted me $728+++....maybe they did up the price for new enquirers...? He also agreed to email me the package but he never did....anyway, its ok, I got it from my friend already. Can't remember the price though...hehe. Hey, thanks again! So have you decided on your hotel?

F

fiona koh

Hi sunflower

I just confirmed my dinner with Mandarin! But I will be taking Belvedere...I think the free flow of beer sort of helped me made up my mind!
biggrin.gif

sunflower

Hi Fiona,

Really? That's wonderful! I also sort of confirmed with Mandarin as well. But Mandarin Court. When's your wedding?
happy.gif

F

fiona koh

Hi sunflower

My wedding is on 25 May 2003. What about yours?
happy.gif

felicia

Hi girls, i am keen to take up Orchard Mandarin also. How many ballroom r there?it appears to me that there r quite a number. BTW, does the package includes seat covers?

jojok

Hi Felicia,

Not exactly sure of the no. of ballrooms but I know there are at least 2, namely Belvedere & Mandarin Court. Both are located at the main building 4th level.

Yes, the package includes seat covers.

I have also signed up with Mandarin S'pore, Mandarin Court as I have at least 35 tables.

U can pop by the hotel to get a copy of the package then call them up to arrange for apptm. That's what I did.

cher

Hi Felicia,

Mandarin Spore has at least 3 venues for weddings: Mandarin Ballroom, Mandarin Court & Belvedere. There's another one that they can accommodate a smaller grp, ie Act 1.

It all depends on the number of tables you r looking at.

When I signed up wif the hotel, weekday pkg does not incl seat covers, only weekend pkg does. It's best to check with the coordinator as the pkgs change.

Look for Joe Lee, he's very helpful!