Love to make desserts / 甜点, gather here!

levynn

hi...

wat kind of desserts do u all have in mind? the western kind or the chinese kind? so far, i've only tried some simple chocolate truffles n cheesecakes.
happy.gif

levynn

hi, this is a recipe i got fr a fellow forummer here...
happy.gif
enjoy!

CHEESE CAKE

Ingredients :
1 Small Packet of Digestive Biscuits
1 Can Condensed Milk (380 gm)
8 oz or 250 gm (1 Block) Phillidephia Cheese
4 oz or 125 gm (half Block) Butter
5 Teaspoons of Gelatin
1 Lemon -- Squeeze into juice
A little hot water

Method : Crush 10 pces. of biscuits (equivalent to 2 cups)
Melt butter on stove and add in the crushed biscuit crumbs.
Line tin with the crumb mixture. Press down and refrigerate for a few hours until hardened.

(Note: Leave cheese block for 1 hr at room temperature before starting).

When ready,

Beat cheese till soft and creamy
Add condensed milk (use only half can)
Add lemon juice (some chopped rinds, if preferred)
Mix gelatin with hot water and add in to the mixture a little at a time. Stir briskly.
Pour ready mixture onto biscuit crumbs shell and chill in the refrigerator.

shyantiffy

me me!!! Count me in the dessert club!

Hongkong style MANGO PUDDING! (serves 4)
1 big nice sweet mango cut into small cubes
keep abit of the mango flesh as garnish
the remaining put in a blender & blend until u get a nice puree.
dissolve 1.5 tsp of gelatine in 250ml hotwater, add in sugar (depending on the amt u prefer for sweetness), add in the puree & evaporated milk (50~100ml, depending on preference too) den after mixing all together... pour the mixture in those small plastic cups..put it aside to cool & harden den put in fridge to chill & firm.

levynn

good morning all!
happy.gif

tiffy... the mango pudding sounds delicious! but, how to choose a nice mango?? the colour or wat?

oasis... the cheesecake is quite simple to do. but must put the cheese block out for more than 1 hr... if not, will b too hard to mix. unless got a male to lend his muscle for u... heh...

shyantiffy

Hi Oasis & levynn..yeah... this dessert is nice & easy to do... hmm...I would suggest u get those mangoes that really have a fragrant smell..not too sweet coz u're gonna put sugar in.. its best to check with the fruit seller..coz I always tell them wat i need the mangoes for.. den they'll recommend. Best for pudding is those mangoes that have very litlle coarse fibre...so when u blend.. u get a really smooth puree...
happy.gif

cutie_gal

Hi All

I love desserts too!
happy.gif
But i know nuts about making it myself, hence will like to learn fr experts out there, hee hee... Hope u ppl out there can guide me. Would love to surprise my hubby one day.

pinky_girl

Hi Hi

Me too. I've love to bake but not an expert la.
Just try baking some cupcakes last weekend but find that it's too sweet. Anyone got any cupcakes recipes to share share..
kao_happy.gif

Thanks ya!!

nini2

Hi levynn,

Can I check with you, all the ingredients that you metioned can be brought at the supermarket?

What is Phillidephia Cheese & Gelatin? How you measure it?

The butter had to heat how long for it to melt? For the Cheese, you mean take out from the refrigerator and leave it outside and then beat it? The tin is it those black colur rectangle tin?

Sorry, for asking these stupid questions, cuz never cooked b4
happy.gif

ideallylove

cutie_gal, me not an expert. Let's share recipes/experiences together. With much practice, you sure can surprise your hubby with delicious desserts. :D

levynn

good morning!!
happy.gif

cutie_gal, ms_blur... dun worry abt not cooking b4. everyone here is learning together.
happy.gif

levynn

nini2...

yes... all the ingredients can b bought fr supermarket.

for the cheese, look for the one similar to the picture below.

529986.jpg

as for gelatin, go to the baking section n look for it. it's most likely in a white plastic bottle. btw, if u wan to make it for malay frens, can get the halal gelatin.

for the tin, i used those squarish aluminium ones... usually sold as 2 or 3 together. u know those containers used for BBQ food? dun need to specially get the black baking tin coz this dun need baking at all... unless u will b using it for other baking needs in the future.

as for measurements, the whole block of cheese is juz right for the recipe.

for the gelatin, i used teaspoon, as stated to measure. for me, if a recipe said teaspoon, i'll take it as those small spoons we use to make coffee. tablespoon will b the big one we eat rice wif.

for the butter, u can juz buy the smaller piece. bring the measurements to the supermarket n double-check. u can leave the butter out in the open for a while, til it feels soft to the touch then start to cook it.

the cheese will need a longer time to soften. so i would advise u to bring it out of the fridge abt 1.5 hrs b4 u need to use it.

dun worry abt asking many questions... it's a stage of learning. if dun ask, u won't learn, right?
happy.gif

cutie_gal

levynn u sound like an expert leh, hee hee...
Cheese cake my fav... Oreo cheese cake, I love it more!!!
But I think I should not be advancing to such high level of dessert making as a 1st step rite???
Would want to start off by doing some of those HK "tang shui"
Anyone got any receips???

levynn

cutie_gal...

aiyah... not expert la. it's juz that i was in another thread abt food... learnt quite a lot fr there too.

btw, cheese cake not difficult to make... in fact, juz mix the ingredients then leave to set in the fridge. dun even need baking....
happy.gif

cutie_gal

Really???
kao_happy.gif

Based on the recipe stated above???
Sorry, me really kn nuts about it, haha...

I also intend to go for some cooking lessons after I have settle my stuff in my new house first, lately too busy n tired to do anything 'extra'. Hee...

skylar

Wahhh.. Levynn,
now ur here sharing the cheesecake recipe ah? kekeke..

Yes yes, no need baking. I do many times liao..

nini2

Hi Levynn,

Thanks for your help
happy.gif
You mean those rectangle tin used to store bbq food, can find in ntuc right?

Do you think we need to get those weighing machine for food so that it's easier for us to measure the quantity when cooking. Had you heard of Poon Huat before? Think theirs are more or baking cake or pastries right?

nini2

Hi gals,

As not working today, manage to find some recipes from the women weekly magazine while clearing my bedroom.

Apricot Banana Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped large dried apricots
1/2 cup apricot juice (apricot nectar is ideal)
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 caster sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
3 tbsps magarine, melted
3/4 cup vanilla milk

Grease a 12-hole muffin pan(1/3 cup capacity)
Bring apricots and juice to a boil in a pan; remove from heat.

Sift flour into a large bowl; sitr in sugar. Add apricot mixure, egg, bananas, margarine and vanilla milk until just combined. Divide mixtue evenly among prepared pan holes.

Bake at 180 C for 20minutes, or until cooked. Leave for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Serve warm or cold. (Serve 12)

Questions: We need a measuring cup to make the measurement right? Think Poon Huat sell this?

Normally, what do you girls used to grease the pan, where can we buy the oil?

Would prefer vanilla soy milk instead of milk. Do you girls know where can we buy/which brand that is not so sweet?

cutie_gal

Hi nini2

I'm nt really an expert but my sis also do bake sometimes. She bought all her baking stuff fr Phoon Huat, so i guess is no prob getting a measuring cup fr there, but their things are nt really cheap. Will source our some more shops selling baking stuff n will share with u gals on that.

On greasing of pan, I normally use butter or margarine, nt neccessary must be oil.

For ur last question, no clue on that. Sorry, haha...

levynn

skylar...
u also come n share your oreo cheesecake recipe la. that cheesecake one i got fr pink mah, remember? heh.

nini2...
yup,... it's those aluminium containers to store bbq food.

as for the weighing machine, so far i haven't find any need to buy it yet. i thot mostly only for baking then we need to weigh??

levynn

hi ladies...

juz thot to share wif u all sth i bought fr NTUC, quite cheap too... $1.45. may come in useful if u r not sure abt the actual measurements, or if u have not already got it.

531346.jpg

shyantiffy

ebearz...I saw this workshop on tv... "the thrifty king".. ingredients are all provided.. even disposable apron! heeheee

ebearz

thanks Tiffy.. =)

any of you interested to go for the baking sessions taught by phoonhuat? =) maybe we can register and learn together.. keke

levynn

oasis...
glad that the making of the cheesecake went well.
happy.gif
did your cheese part managed to "stick" to the crust? mine didn't "stick" so well last time. the cheese n crust like 2 separate thing...

oveydovey

levynn ,thanks for the long list .. since Jenny's Black Forest Cake has the MOST stars.. think will try that recipe .. btw any idea if it states for a 8 inch cake pan for servings of 10 , if i reduce by half do i use a 4 inch cake pan ?

btw no baking u can try tiraMisu .. no baking required also
happy.gif

oveydovey

Happiness&Bliss , realize u need tiramisu recipe . i got 1 that i had tried out and got good compliments :p

Ingredients
2 eggs
250g mascarpone cheese ( brand : polengi )
6tsp castor sugar
mint flavor sponge cake cause i cannot find original flavor but it give a good outcome
a cup of espresso ... just enough for cake to soak
rum/vodka/bailey/marsala but i used VODKA ruby red hee

Instructions
1.separate egg yolk and egg white
2.whisk the sugar and the egg yolk until pale yellow and fluffy
3.stir in the cheese gently
4.whisk the egg white until stiff ...
5.fold in the egg white into the cheese mixture
6.soak sponge cake into espresso liquor and line the base of your container
7.line with a layer of cheese then another sponge and on and on and on ...
8.Top must be cheese
9.sprinkle the top with cocoa powder OR milo powder like me heee
10.Keep the tiramisu chilled overnight and ENJOY

ideallylove

Ms_Blur, I remember that you asked abt cupcakes receipes. Mine are from this book: (Cupcakes and Fairy Cakes) a easy to read book.

Let me see if I have any softcopes to share here.

shyantiffy

Sorry ladies... hai~ stupid company blocked my internet access.. so wait till now den reply...

I really love to go for 1 cake making lesson at Phoon Huat.. juz that I'm not sure which day i can make it.. hai~

OveyDovey... think if u do not have a blender.. den u gotta use traditional method with a pounder lo... pound the mango flesh into a thick puree... but of coz.. if u like to be able to bite the mango flesh.. u may not need to make it into a very smooth puree la.. up to your own preference.. coz to me..the smoother it is.. the better it taste...
happy.gif