Lightings

eileen

Hi all,

I am new in this site and would like to seek some advice.

Anybody know where to get cheap and creative, nice lightings except IKEA? Kindly advise.

kpo

balestier is the place to go!...the streets are lined with light shops...u'll be spoilt for choices...my advice: do check out all the shops (if possible) and compare prices...some shops' prices are much higher than the rest.

joie

hi !!

juz wanna know have anyone bought their lightings from geylang ?

my fren juz bought hers and it costed her 800+ 4 11 lightings 4 her 4-rm flat .............

just felt it's very costly.. mine is 5-rm...

pls advise for cheap and gd lighting shops

kpo

hey joie,

check out this shop called 168 Lighting @ Sungei Rd! i bought all my lights from there recently...the prices are very reasonable.

lollipop

My parents recently bought lights frm Geylang. The name of the shop is Eurolux Agencies Pte. Ltd.

he address is 805, Geylang Road, Singapore 389683

Tel: 6747 3610
Fax: 6747 8110
Email: [email protected]

They are giving 40% discount and they have some very trendy and nice lightings.

All the best!

joie

gals thanks !!!

will go check it out
happy.gif

tigerlily

Hi joie,

KPO is right. Balestier is the place to go.
My friend bought all her lights from different stores there. Cos there are quite afew, the prices are very competitive.
She got her bathroom lighting for $10!! I need to check them out too.

C

crazi

n also do ask for a free door bell
happy.gif
(if u are buying for your whole house.

joie

wil be going down tomolo to check it out but a free door bell?? but it's a lighting hse... it can be done ?

crazi, pls explain more
happy.gif
thanks !!

8ug

Eurolux Agencies Pte Ltd at Geylang, better don't go there. Very outdated products there. Better think twice. Shit ! Real shit there.

lollipop

Hi 8UG,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

You were served by? On both occasions when we dropped by, their service was quite commendable. I agree that some of their lights may look a little outdated, but they do have some nice ones as well.

G

good advice

The one opposite Eurolux which is VLUX is another nightmare. Once you placed order that's it. They start to act like Ah Beng if you wish to change the items.

jinette

i changed my order the next day, from a expensive lighting to a cheaper one and also chnaged my kitchen lighting coz i chose the wrong size but the sales person was very accomodating.

i just bought my lightings 2 weeks ago.

L

lightsearch

Hi all, anyone knows which lighting shop at Balestier is particularly recommendable? I'm just going to shop for some lighting soon so I need some advices. Thanks in advance.
happy.gif

Y

yi

Hi lightsearch,

My ID took us to Henry Lightings at the Shaw Building at Balestier for designer lights purchase!
happy.gif

L

lightsearch

Hi Yi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Are the lights there affordable?
happy.gif

Y

yi

Hi Lightsearch,

Designer's lights are toward the high end! I got 2 designer's lights there at S$190+ and S$300+ each for my rooms!

If you are looking at normal lights, there are a few such shops on the stretch of road also!

C

cant_stand_it!!!

lightsearch,

you can try geylang too - i bought my lighting from VLUX (beside GRANDLINK)

they have a mixture of ROC n italy lightings. go have a look at a few shops.best if you can note the prices and compare. i choose a 200+ dining lighting. as chose simple lighting for the rest of the house. total was 900 only.

i have a friend who reno his hse n spent 2000 on the lightings. he regretted as it didnt serve it's purpose. he saw almost similar lightings and it cost half of the price.

i recommend italy lightnings and the salesman should advise you what you actually need

slim

Hi !

I like to know the market price for installation of lighting points with wiring.

My contractor's charging is as follows :

Wiring for lighting points (based on no. of lights) = $30
Lighting dimmer = $35
Door bell $30
Installation of down, wall or ceiling light = $8

Do they sound reasonable ?

K

kk

slim,

mine is as follows:

wiring of lighting points - $30

Door bell - FOC

Installation of down, wall or ceiling light - $10

What is lighting dimmer?

B

banet

Light dimmer is a notch switch where u can turn to increase/reduce the light brightness.

I've seen wireless doorbells which cost abt $28. It's w/o the running wire. It's selling almost everywhere.

banet

victim

Do not step into "Lighting Square" along Jln Besar, opp the Hawker centre. My Hubby and I were threatened by the Sales guy there after asking for quotation. He quoted us $950 for the lights we wanted when one shop at Geylang only quoted us $600 for the same thing.

When we said that it's too expensive, he automatically reduced the price to $750 without us bargaining. We told him that we would shop around first and did not take up his offer. His face changed immediately and he told us off "You want to make me look like a fool is it?" He was so rude and refused to let us go. We ignored him and walked out of his shop, it was terrible attitude. We suspect that Lighting Centre belongs to the same boss cos' they carry the same models and same price.

Buyers Beware!!!

B

banet

I bought my lightings from "168 Lightings" (along Jalan Bersar stretch) also. For the model that I'm looking for, price is cheapest I can find there.

Delivery was prompt. In fact they're early by 30 mins.

banet

decbride

Hi victim,

I also got my lightings from lighting square.
In fact, I got my entire house lightings from them.

Yes, they tend to mark up 100% - 200% on the price tags.

Hubby and I know roughly what is the price range and we cut down their price until we only pay slightly less than $500 for the my whole house lightings (exclue downlights).

If are expecting excellent service, then maybe not them.They are the mediocre ones.

When the delivery guy came, they just tell us if there is anything, just call the boss (who happens to be the one who entertain us).

We just wonder why he say that, maybe got too many complains already.

There were some defects on 2 of my lightings, some chips and stains, and we also got no problem with the replacement.

I guess we are lucky.

One thing to note. Don't make cash payment outfront. Pay deposit only and balance only after you received your goods.

victim

Hi DecBride,

My hubby and I were so pissed off by the Lighting Square guy attitude that we did not bother to bargain with him.

In the end, we bought all our lights (except downlights) from Lightcraft at Jalan Sultan. They have a shop at Park Mall too. The prices in the shop are fixed (no bargaining) and they are much cheaper than those Jln Besar/Balestier shops. They will give you 10% discount if they know your contractor. We bought our dining light at Lightcraft for $170 and saw the same light at one Balestier light shop priced at $340!!

The stock they carry are very wide-range and they have many unique lights which we don’t see from other shops. Their service attitude is very sincere and excellent. Delivery was prompt and they replaced one of the lights the next day when we told them it was not correct.

They do not mark up their prices to ridiculously high levels which we appreciate very much. Two of our frns bought their lights there and recommeded this shop to us.

For all Buyers reference.

netsnob

hi all,

How much you guys on average spent for lighting?
(excluding downlight)

I need a ballpark figure so I could benchmark my expenditure whether I am paying too much

thanks

peppermint

huh? downlights were the main component of my lighting expenditure.

Non-downlights i spent about $400 ... lights for storeroom, kitchen *2, yard *2, bedside lamp *2 and one floor uplighter.

My downlights cost me $1200 (lights only, no installation).

L

lighting

Hi,

Anyone had any experience buying their lightings from JB? I heard that the price is much cheaper than local.

Regards

light

hi, juz bought my lights recently so hv asked the shop that i bought my lights from about buying lights from jb. he said they are not sisir tested (so u take a risk) and u hv to pay a tax of abt 30% to bring in the lights (which i'm not too sure).

L

lighting

Hi Light,

if I remembered correctly, the only thing that required testing would most likely be the ballast or transformer that is part of the lights/downlights. These are cheap even in Singapore (costs a few dollars). As for the 30% tax, that's something new. Anyone cares to verify this?

nero

Can we ask the shops that sell the lightings to carry out the installations? Will these be cheaper
than asking a separate electrician to carry out the installation?

tigerlily

Hi Nero,

they will still charge you for installation fee. normally your main reno contractor will have an electrician to take care of all electrical items - eg. fix powerpoints, wiring & includes installation. then you'll only need to pay your contractor. your contractor can also manage the electrician. you just needs to go to the contractor for anything that's wrong and he has to fix it. the problem with having your own is that if there's something wrong, one might blame the other.

Hi Netsnob,

we didn't have any downlights. spent $500 for whole house, 4 rm flat.
2 living room lights
2 lights
2 bathroom lights
1 study light
1 master bedroom light
1 reading light

blurlamb

hi,
does anyone know where in Jalan Sultan is Lightcraft? Is the variety of lights there more than their shop at Park Mall?

Thanks

L

lights

Hi, anybody know what is the address of Henry's Lighting at Balestier?

Thks

cher

Hi all,

Has anyone been to Lumiere at Balestier for their lighting? This shop is beside the Bak Kuh Teh Shop.

My hubby and I like the design of the lights there. They have designer lights from Europe and "similar" design lights from Taiwan.

Would like to seek some advices on this shop.

Thanks!

N

noname

Hi Lights,

Don't know the exact address of Henry's Lighting,
but it's located at Balestier Plaza (I think that's the name), the greenish new bldg.

whitefloral

blurlamp

Lightcraft is at the + junction of Victoria st and jln sultan, near crawford. If you r travelling along Victoria St down from Bugis to Kallang, u will see it opp the blue mosque on your left hand side. havent been in there, so no comments on variety.

A

artnet

summary:
Place to shop for Lighting needs are:
-Geylang Area, Jln Besar, Balestier.
-How about IMM? any comment of their quality?

I went around places like AMK, Bishan, Seranggon. Same downlight but quality was 'so-so' seller told me most are made either M'sia/Jurong(S'pore). ROC made are more $$ around 28(Small) 28(Medium) size.

I need to get all the light for my new place very soon. Any recommendation?

jady

hi artnet,

if u hv tight budget & don't mind the shop not having as many varieties as Chuan Huat in Balestier, maybe u can try DK Lighting in Geylang (opp Lorong 35-famous duck rice).

I got most of my lights & doorbell there. The boss is also very friendly.

I got my dining lights & 2 guestrooms lights fr Point-One Lighting(Geylang Lor 1, by main road) cos the dining lights there are really cheaper than those in Balestier.

Happy Searching!

may2003

Balestier is the best place to shop for lights. I spend 1 full day there looking for my lights. It was really tiring but it was so much better than IMM and Jln Besar.

i bought my downlights at Lighting Arcade. It cost me between $14-16 for the lights with energy saving bulbs. made in HK and ROC. U r better w buying ROC lights then M'sa. ROC r gd copy cats of italian and spanish design lights.

If you want to spend more for certain lights eg. dining or living, go to Lighting Centre. Their lights are ex but very nice. I think they are having sale now. There a few branches around. I like the one at Turf City, there is a sales person there very patient and he will help you plan your light purchase if you bring your floor plan.

U go to Jln Besar to buy toilet and kitchen fittings. Check out Poh Joo.

tigerlily

I bought my lightings at Chuan Huat at Balestier.

They had very good service. this guy was advising us all the way & also provided alternatives when the 'italian' ones were way over our budget.

Spent $500 for whole house:
2 kitchen lights
1 dining hall
1 hall
2 bedroom
1 adjustable study light
1 master bedroom
1 reading light at bed
2 bathroom lights

C

crapster

I tot that going around the place to buy lights is really crazy. settle at one place then can get cheaper some more until I discover that it is better to hunt around and buy only those you like.

I bought square lights (in thing now)at Jln besar at $54 when the rest were at $90 plus.

I bought downlights at Balestier for $13 w/ energy saving lights , silver aluminium ring. Beware of fake sales
(they even sell higher than others).
I think geylang may be cheaper than that but too bad, bought already.

The rest, I bought it at ikea. U will be surprised that it is nicer and cheaper than others. we bought our dining lights and foyer lights there. everyone says they're nice.

A

artnet

Okie, just back from Geylang "light shopping" so far only came accross this shop "Vlux Lighting" 722 Geylang rd. Sales person helpful "Alvin" bother to tell me about some of the pro and con of each type of light. Price? Average are little cheaper then Balestier. 2 blocks away dinning light have more modern look. (Ice Cube type) There one light shop by its own (forgot the name) it's super Xpensive same item DOUBLE charge and give 20% discount.

Happy sharing.