Let's talk about Food

jinnous

Char Kway Tiao.... the one near this old cinema and church at Commonwealth I think...my hubby swears by this old shop but that time we went there, it was already closed for the day. so we ate the one behind, not bad too! There's an NTUC nearby too. I can't remember the exact name though. There's some car shops around too.

yuene

Hullo all, can I join in too?

little poppets, I think I know which char kuay teow you're talking about. Okay only nia. The zi char stall just behind it is not bad though.

its_fate

I like the Char Kway Tiao @ Changi Airport T1 (basement canteen)... Like it really black black... However, that uncle not there frying le.. think he is sick or.........

simpleman

char kway tiao - I like the one at zion road.. not too sure if still there..

Or the one in Serangoon Garden market.. the old man..

Both are long queue stalls.

simpleman

Actually talking about tiong bahru .. there is one CKT .. in the corner coffee shop (not market) but across the road from the market.. not bad..

alcifertoh

Actually if you like your kuey tiao black black can request for more dark source.

When ah? Not much problem de but normally some of the stalls not open till late leh except ba kut teh.... so how? Pick something that wanna eat first then we zero down to the timing and date lor.

mark78

Yes, SM the Zion Rd CKT damn sedap. in fact i will give it a 8/10.

yes. u just reminded my taste bud of the heavenly CK @ zion Road..

mark78

u like sweet taste u shld try Zion Rd food centre Carrot Cake. the CC is quite nice. the boss is hearing impaired yet he can read ppl lips.

so Iris, remember to say slowly but in a sexy ways and apply lots of LIP sticks and ...do it like shu qi way...

mark78

and wear tubes then right hand holding one can of beer then just rub the condensed can over your cheek to the neck..

CC will be free if his WIFE not around

alcifertoh

Why don't you say pour the beer at the neck and let it flow down the body and ask the uncle wanna drink? He will give you his stall -___-

Btw SM which market? AMK ave 10 got 3 markets leh... one near ave 1, the other near ave 3 and one more near ave 5

rofthelper

I think he refers to AMK 409 market. Besides the soya bean drinks stall. Q also very long.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

================================================
Talk about carrot cake.. i recommend AMK Ave 10 market..

Fried by lady.. quite nice.. long queue as well..

simpleman

rofthelper,

Ya you are right.

I don't live in AMK and I am not too sure about how many markets and where exactly they are in AMK AVE 10.

I just happen to go there for marketing in the past. Not anymore though.

My children like the Carrot cake there.. so while I do the marketing they would queue to ta bao. The Mee rebus few stalls away also not bad - cheap and good

rofthelper

Hi sm, in fact AMK Ave 10 got 3 markets along the road. After exit into Ave 1 via CTE is the Blk 409 market, who sells nice hokkien fried prawn mee, duck rice and the carrot cake.

After that is Blk 453A market, nice BKT, prata, lor mee/laksa... and lastly is the Blk 528A market.

rubbishcow

Hey... I know there is 1 at Whampoa market.. the morning market. The Carrot Cake there is nice!! Not sure of the name because i always walk to the stall straight without thinking.

Only thing is the stall is facing the condo...

alcifertoh

Ave 3 hmmm good. I will bring my wife there as she likes carrot cake. That was the market I always go to during my secondary school days.

The Swee Bee chicken rice there also damn solid. Try the normal chicken. We had the chicken rice almost everyday after school before our soccer session. Their soup also very unique and solid :D

alcifertoh

The AMK fishhead ah. You mean along avenue 3 the kopitiam behind the mayflower sec school? That stall quite famous for their fishhead steamboat.

I seldom take steamboat outside. Normally just prepare at home then can eat a few sessions :p

mark78

ytd i went to try the ng ah sio bkt.. they are using pda and walkie talkies for taking orders. but their bkt standard drop.

sigh.. balestier bkt still better..

rubbishcow

Tummy/Stomach, the balestier bkt some times will any how charge lei...

I also think the food is damn superb but hor.. theres 2 occassions i went within a month, ordering the same food but paid different prices. the difference is like $10-$15 difference.

rubbishcow

I used to like the one at Jurong Point Kopitiam...

Super crispy... provided they had not change the person cooking it.. very long never eat le...

the one at bukit timah is nice as well!

vios

jeffrey's corner at jurong point kopitiam ah?
haha... that one standard dropped liao, from my last review few yrs ago btw. maybe now better liao....

bukit timah where?

rubbishcow

very long (consider years) never eat at JP le... probably the standard really dropped...

Hmm.. u know the bukit timah market beside the prebyterian sch? or shell?? The one you have to climb the stairs up to the food and the lower level is the wet market.

vios

yep, i know the shell....
but i dunno the bukit timah market... will go there see see look look.

i only noe i like the roti prata at bukit timah....

rubbishcow

its between the shelll and roti prata!
Sure can find it...
happy.gif

alcifertoh

Okie. When we talk about carrot cake, it should also leads to fried oyster omlette.

My wife brought me to this kopitiam at Blk 10 Hougang Ave 1. The stall is runned by an elderly couple and the omlette is... heavenly though I am of no fan of this dish at all.

The omelette itself is as crispy as biscuit and the uncle frying it never hold back on the amount of oyster he pour onto your order. Definitely the best oyster omelette I ever had. But you have to oversee the amount of oil added too for the health concious haha.

rubbishcow

HBH, you saying "orh jian" or "orh neng"?

If you are talking about "orh jian", i like the one at clementi market!!!! Actually Whampoa night market also got one. Same here i don't know the name again but i think it comes with the banana leaf..

rubbishcow

hey hey.. if you guys like the super duper crispy type of orh jian, there is one along MacPherson road...

Hmm... ok.. don't remember the shop name already.. used to eat lunch there. The shop is some where opposite the caltex station beside Gnon Hock Realty. If the shop have not close down.. their orh jian is super duper crispy la... and of course its super duper oily... can try the CC there as well..

alcifertoh

How about this? Something which we all very likely have in our place. Instant noodles.

Myojo, Nissin, Maggi, Tung yi, Small chef, Chu qian yi ding. What is your favourite brand?

I swear by Myojo for their chicken flavour, Chu Qian Yi Ding for the Ma La spicy favour. And for Cup noodles, the safest bet is always Nissin for me :D

its_fate

Chu Qian Yi Ding.. The red packaging (Original Flavour) and Myojo Chicken Flavour (red packaging)... I simply love RED..

But hoh, I super lousy.. Everytime cook till soggy... wahahaha... As long as edible, juz "hoot"......

salsa_babe

It has to be Chu Qian Yi Ding...original sesame oil flavour...with Ji Dan!

Myojo cup noodles in soto ayam flavour...nice.

Also like the Tung Yi's Abalone Chicken flavour...and and and Kimchi Ramen, Spicy Mushroom Ramen ...forget the brand liao

Hao chi!

alcifertoh

To prevent it from getting soggy, u juz dump the noodles in the last 1 and a half to 2 mins on finish cooking. then will not get soggy liao ler. Don need to actually cook till "soft". Feel about 85% soft can stop ler :D

My habit is to scoop the cooked noodles out of the soup and soak them in cool, room temperature water for a while. Then put them back into the hot soup when I am ready to eat them. This will prevent them from becoming soggy. I like my noodles Qquu Qquu
happy.gif

alcifertoh

Haha green, you cook your noodles like wanton noodles leh. Actually dun nid to be so troublesome ba u just put ur noodles in the last min will do?

alcifertoh

Nope. I do it this way. Boil water. Then put ingredients in first, chicken, scallop, mushrooms, prawns etc. Then the noodle. Then egg immediately once the noodle softens. Stirr then the wei jin and the veggie.